HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must use the RUMOR prefix in thread title. Proposals must contain the PROPOSAL prefix in the thread title.

Mike Ribeiro - any takers

Closed Thread

Old
07-05-2014, 01:30 PM
Volica
Southern AB Dandy

vCash: 790
He won't come to Calgary.
We already had tried trading for him (and getting the dogs first rounder) and he refused to waive to join the Flames.

Doubt he goes near Calgary, I don't think there's a team in this league that wants this cancer.

Old
07-05-2014, 02:26 PM
DesertDawg

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by hisgirlfriday View Post
I've been curious about how this buyout gets characterized ever since it happened.

Would the Ribeiro buyout count toward their total losses for the purposes of their stay in Glendale (IIRC there was something like a $50M in losses in 5 years allowing the ownership group to leave Arizona or at least get out of their existing lease with the City of Glendale)?
Good question. I wonder how much say Gosbee had in bringing in Ribeiro last season.

Old
07-05-2014, 02:52 PM
Srsly

Don't worry the Leafs will sign him to a 4 year, 4.5mil contract at the start of the season.

They'll then proceed to trade Kadri and a 2nd for a stay at home defensemen with an O'Byrne like skillset.

Old
07-05-2014, 03:19 PM
Ho Borvat

If hes past his issues and getting the help he needs I would gladly take him on a 1-2 year deal in Vancouver.

He gets to play with Vrbata, Vancouver needs a 2C.

As well, guys like the Sedins, Bieksa, Hamhuis are some of the most respected/likeable character guys in the league. The absolute epitome of role models, and genuine quality guys around.

Add Ribeiro to this team and I feel much better about making the playoffs (stupid Dallas/Minny getting better).

Old
07-05-2014, 03:23 PM
molsonmuscle360

vCash: 50
I think it's gonna be tough for old Dr. Rockzo to get a gig until at least late in the offseason when GM's know what's going on with his head.

Old
07-05-2014, 03:53 PM
ZeHockeyFan

It's somewhat safe to say that, barring a desperate signing by a team that needs a warm body to get over the cap (Florida?), his career in the NHL is done.

Old
07-05-2014, 04:16 PM
Ho Borvat

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZeHockeyFan View Post
It's somewhat safe to say that, barring a desperate signing by a team that needs a warm body to get over the cap (Florida?), his career in the NHL is done.
Meh, not really. Guys like Rich Clune/Jordin Tootoo have made it through the substance abuse program* and resumed their careers.

*I am assuming that this is the cause of the "behavior issues", I apologize if this isn't a substance abuse issue.

Old
07-05-2014, 04:25 PM
duxfan8

Wouldn't be bad in Anaheim if he could control himself. Not sure what problems he may or may not have but if he could play 3C for less than 2 mil a year, I'd think it was worth a shot. I mean, Penner sorta worked out the second time.

Old
07-05-2014, 04:27 PM
Scottkmlps

Quote:
Originally Posted by FanHabtic View Post
Why a tryout? He is a bonafide 1C or 2C on most teams. The only question is his character.
You answered your own question.

Old
07-05-2014, 04:27 PM
Ryan120420

Hes probably KHL bound.

Old
07-05-2014, 04:49 PM
Seedling
Tier 7 fan (ballcap)

Don't laugh at this, but Edmonton always talks a lot about character and what kind of person the player is. They do a lot of community work here. I cannot see them being interested in the slightest.

Old
07-05-2014, 04:54 PM
TheHudlinator

Calgary makes no sense, Calgary wants good locker room guys not someone who was bought out for off ice problems. Not to mention Calgary needs a #4 center more than a #2 (so Monahan can get his ice time)

Last edited by TheHudlinator: 07-05-2014 at 05:07 PM.
Old
07-05-2014, 05:06 PM
fallsviewafro*

We don't need character issues in a rebuild. Flames pass.

Old
07-05-2014, 05:27 PM
rt
Kim Jong-tipp

Read between the lines of the Don Maloney quotes. He's "getting the help he needs". Gee, I wonder what that means. Does any nhl team want that in their dressing room? Especially when Mike Ribeiro on his absolute best behavior is still Mike Ribeiro. We aren't talking about a guy like Bob Probert who was a beloved leader and teammate when not struggling with his problems. This isn't like that. Ribs gets help and he goes from cancer to ******.

His behavior was so unacceptable that the poorest team in the NHL bought him out.

He said he has more respect for Dave Tippett than anyone else. If Tippett can't control him, who can?

07-05-2014, 05:32 PM
sabresEH

Goes to a contender on a one year or try out.

Old
07-05-2014, 05:34 PM
Jakey53

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tbaywingfan View Post
A guy as talented as him will always get chances. He needs to sign with a team with a strong locker room IMO.
He had that in Phoenix.

Old
07-05-2014, 05:39 PM
Rockmorton

Calgary and Arizona had a deal in place which included Ribiero and Arizona's first-round draft pick in this draft, but he refused to waive for Calgary. So I kind of think Calgary's out.

Old
07-05-2014, 05:42 PM
ChaoticOrange*

Edmonton is absolutely desperate for a #2 center and I don't think they'd touch Ribeiro with a ten foot pole. They have 2 very strong community leaders in Ference and Scrivens, and budding ones in Eberle/RNH, and as another poster said the Oilers always take character into account.

There's an episode of Oil Change that aired a few years back when they were talking about a free agent center, and Tambellini said something along the lines of 'I don't want that guy anywhere near our kids'. I've always speculated it was Konopka - pretty well documented issues, like Ribeiro, and Konopka fit the bill for what the Oilers were looking for at the time - a very strong faceoff guy.

As much flak as Gagner took - some of it deserved - no one could question his character. He'll be a good fit in Phoenix.

Old
07-05-2014, 05:48 PM
Mattb124

Calgary wanted him - probably there.

Old
07-05-2014, 05:50 PM
Bergeron47

vCash: 1323
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockmorton View Post
Calgary and Arizona had a deal in place which included Ribiero and Arizona's first-round draft pick in this draft, but he refused to waive for Calgary. So I kind of think Calgary's out.
I thought the deal didnt go through because Arizona didnt want to give up their high 1st rounder for free?

Old
07-05-2014, 05:54 PM
Bergeron47

vCash: 1323
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChaoticOrange View Post
Edmonton is absolutely desperate for a #2 center and I don't think they'd touch Ribeiro with a ten foot pole. They have 2 very strong community leaders in Ference and Scrivens, and budding ones in Eberle/RNH, and as another poster said the Oilers always take character into account.

There's an episode of Oil Change that aired a few years back when they were talking about a free agent center, and Tambellini said something along the lines of 'I don't want that guy anywhere near our kids'. I've always speculated it was Konopka - pretty well documented issues, like Ribeiro, and Konopka fit the bill for what the Oilers were looking for at the time - a very strong faceoff guy.

As much flak as Gagner took - some of it deserved - no one could question his character. He'll be a good fit in Phoenix.
Does Konopka have character issues? He came out here to Australia last year for a charity-game tour and was the face of the tour, talking to fans during the game.

Old
07-05-2014, 06:09 PM
janecky

Someone will sign him. It's easy to rationalize a one-year contract when you're desperate for his skillset. If Ribeiro wants to continue his career in the NHL, he'll probably have to take a lowball offer. I don't think the KHL is an attractive option to him at this point due to family reasons.

Old
07-05-2014, 06:09 PM
ChaoticOrange*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bergeron47 View Post
Does Konopka have character issues? He came out here to Australia last year for a charity-game tour and was the face of the tour, talking to fans during the game.
He got handed a 20 game suspension at the end of last season for violating the banned substance policy in the CBA. Could be an accident. I know a few guys that play and he's got a pretty bad rap as a guy that goes just a little too hard off the ice.

Not saying he's not a nice guy, or a good person, or that he can't turn it around. Lots of guys have.

http://www.cbc.ca/sports/hockey/nhl/...ance-1.2644301

Old
07-05-2014, 06:19 PM
Sundog85

I don't think that Ribero will have any takers this year. Maybe once he's spent a year dealing with his issues and can show teams that he has changed, right now the only team(s) I could see wanting him are ones that are tanking to get a shot at 2015 1st overall pick.

Old
07-05-2014, 06:25 PM
Balthazar
Someone

Dirt poor teams with serious lack of offense don't buyout a 70 pts player for alcohol/drugs/maturity issues. Especially not one on rehab.

You guys are seriously downplaying what's happening with him. Ribs' problem in Montreal was that he had the tendency to surround himself with very bad people. The kind of people that no professional org would like to be associated with.

I'll leave it at that.

Closed Thread