HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Mike Ribeiro - any takers

Closed Thread

Old
07-06-2014, 10:08 PM
calder candidate

vCash: 500
Quote:
he's a bit of a locker room nuisance
Phx spent 10M$ to get rid of him, nuisance is a understatement...

Old
07-06-2014, 10:13 PM
Holtbyisms
L-O-S-E LOSELOSELOSE

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gustavo Fring View Post
Not trying to be a smart ass but I think Ribs "passed" first.

I would take him back on the Caps in a heartbeat at around 1 or 2 years and no more than 2 mil per.
That would be fantastic. I dare say it would make us a serious threat if Kuznetsov and Wilson progress a little as well from last season.

Old
07-07-2014, 12:46 AM
glovesave_35
Name

Quote:
Originally Posted by ARSix View Post
I get the time off idea if he's 28, but he's 34. If he leaves now his career is done.
Nah, if he gets cleaned up he will have a job waiting for him somewhere. He may not make a lot of money but he is good enough, even at 34, to miss half or a whole season.

Old
07-07-2014, 12:56 AM
LolClarkson*
Canucks 4 the cup

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jakey53 View Post
No body is arguing his talent, it's his character in question. He has had issues almost all of his career so the people who on their high horse and balk about his issues have every good reason to.
From what I can tell, he isn't charged with crimes.

Old
07-07-2014, 01:05 AM
Rick Nash 61
The Best

I'd take him on the Rangers on a 1 year 2 million type deal.

Old
07-07-2014, 01:12 AM
rt
Usually Incorrect

Quote:
Originally Posted by HC Davos View Post
He has been in the past.

07-07-2014, 02:56 AM
Balthazar
Commissioner

Quote:
Originally Posted by HC Davos View Post
Well, not this time.

Old
07-07-2014, 05:34 PM
Man Bear Pig

Quote:
Originally Posted by Volica View Post
He won't come to Calgary.
We already had tried trading for him (and getting the dogs first rounder) and he refused to waive to join the Flames.

Doubt he goes near Calgary, I don't think there's a team in this league that wants this cancer.
Keep in mind he may have refused to waive to go anywhere simply based on him and his agent knowing he'd be receiving two checks, not just one(the buyout plus his new deal)

Old
07-07-2014, 07:06 PM
Loose Sens
Drafting my Overalls

Quote:
Originally Posted by Balthazar View Post
Well, not this time.

Can someone explain to me why he looks so awful? His face makes him look like a starving Ethiopian or a runway model.

What's going on with him? Is he OK? I understand that picture is from 2010 (at least according to the url) - but even in recent pictures his face makes him look gaunt.

Old
07-07-2014, 07:13 PM
Virtanen2Horvat
Radim Vrbata #17

vCash: 647
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hall2Nuge2Ebs View Post
Immature 34 year old veteran who is a cancer in the locker room...
Who would want a guy like that on their team?
This

Old
07-07-2014, 07:16 PM
DoggyII

Preds just lost Mike Fisher for four to six months...I see a landing spot if they can't swing the deal for Lecavalier.

Old
07-07-2014, 07:24 PM
BroadwayJay
Corsi Hawk

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoggyII View Post
Preds just lost Mike Fisher for four to six months...I see a landing spot if they can't swing the deal for Lecavalier.
Makes too much sense. The Preds would be smart to take this shot.

Old
07-07-2014, 07:48 PM
vipernsx
Flatus Expeller

Not a chance.

1) Arizona needs scoring forwards and they don't want him
2) After signing him to a new 4 year deal, Arizona bought him out as soon as they had the chance.
3) Ribeiro has "has behavioral issues". That's a huge red flag considering the source. GM DM is well respected in the hockey world and he's not known for being a blow hard like Burke. Quite the opposite actually. If GM DM says the guy is a problem, it's a career death sentence. He might as well legally change his name to Sean Avery.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BroadwayJay View Post
Makes too much sense. The Preds would be smart to take this shot.
Preds suspended Radulov and Kostitsyn for missing curfew, they don't tollerate behavioral problems.

Old
07-07-2014, 11:17 PM
glovesave_35
Name

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tubby Tuke View Post
Can someone explain to me why he looks so awful? His face makes him look like a starving Ethiopian or a runway model.

What's going on with him? Is he OK? I understand that picture is from 2010 (at least according to the url) - but even in recent pictures his face makes him look gaunt.
He's always been very skinny. He's also rumored to have "problems". Put 1 and 1 together.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vipernsx View Post
Not a chance.

1) Arizona needs scoring forwards and they don't want him
2) After signing him to a new 4 year deal, Arizona bought him out as soon as they had the chance.
3) Ribeiro has "has behavioral issues". That's a huge red flag considering the source. GM DM is well respected in the hockey world and he's not known for being a blow hard like Burke. Quite the opposite actually. If GM DM says the guy is a problem, it's a career death sentence. He might as well legally change his name to Sean Avery.
It's only a death sentence if he doesn't do anything about it. Ribeiro was a very good player in Dallas and there weren't any big problems here. He can turn it around if he wants to.

Old
07-07-2014, 11:38 PM
rt
Usually Incorrect

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tubby Tuke View Post

There are exactly two dots to connect, here.

Old
07-08-2014, 12:02 AM
MJMazzarone
#AnyonebutNYR

While the character issue could be a problem the Devils could certainly use him if the term is right. IE: 1 year 1-2 mil. He would push NJ's center depth to exactly where it needs to be.

CAPGEEK.COM ARMCHAIR GM ROSTER
CapGeek Armchair GM Roster
FORWARDS
Mike Cammalleri ($5.000m) / Travis Zajac ($5.750m) / Jaromir Jagr ($3.500m)
Adam Henrique ($4.000m) / Patrik Elias ($5.500m) / Martin Havlat ($1.500m)
Ryane Clowe ($4.850m) / Mike Ribeiro ($2.000m) / Damien Brunner ($2.500m)
Tuomo Ruutu ($3.800m) / Stephen Gionta ($0.850m) / Dainius Zubrus ($3.100m)
Steve Bernier ($0.600m)
DEFENSEMEN
Andy Greene ($3.000m) / Adam Larsson ($0.900m)
Jon Merrill ($0.840m) / Marek Zidlicky ($3.000m)
Bryce Salvador ($3.167m) / Eric Gelinas ($0.715m)
Peter Harrold ($0.800m) /
GOALTENDERS
Cory Schneider ($4.000m)
Keith Kinkaid ($0.600m)
BUYOUTS
Trent Hunter ($0.667m)
Johan Hedberg ($0.000m)
Anton Volchenkov ($0.000m)
BONUS OVERAGE
$2,250,000
------
CAPGEEK.COM TOTALS (follow @capgeek on Twitter)
(estimations for 2014-15)
SALARY CAP: $69,000,000; CAP PAYROLL: $63,138,334; BONUSES: $3,060,000
CAP SPACE (22-man roster): $5,861,666

Trade Ryder to make the pieces fit and you have a (at the very least) playoff team.

Old
07-08-2014, 01:45 AM
Stump

Quote:
Originally Posted by Balthazar View Post
Well, not this time.

Looks like Marc Anthony after a night of drinking drain cleaner.

Old
07-08-2014, 07:32 AM
catters078

I believe there was a year or two in dallas where he wore an A on his jersey. He was a leader...at times. He us arrigant which would have caused some locker room clashes im sure. But by no means a cancer. The isles should sign himm hes ssuch a smooth passer

Old
07-08-2014, 10:53 AM
Jakey53

Quote:
Originally Posted by catters078 View Post
I believe there was a year or two in dallas where he wore an A on his jersey. He was a leader...at times. He us arrigant which would have caused some locker room clashes im sure. But by no means a cancer. The isles should sign himm hes ssuch a smooth passer
Some posters here just don't get it. Ribeiro has talent as a hockey player, but his character issues far out weigh the benefits of his hockey talent.

Old
07-08-2014, 10:59 AM
FirstRowUpperDeck

While he did have a drunk in public arrest in Dallas, (his wife and another couple were involved as well) it seemed like a minor incident. From memory (and correct me if wrong) they split and got back together.

The biggest issue that got him out of town was slow pace of play, taking long shifts, (which fried Niewy and Gully) and mouthing off to refs (along with Ott who also got traded that year) that they believed led to an inordinate amount of calls against the Stars, who for two years were among the most penalized teams.

He never had a good rep from his incident in MTL where he faked injury and laughed about it, which is why he got traded from there, for Janne Ninima, which was basically no return. Good trade by Gainey to fleece his old team.

Ribs did great for a few years, and seemed to slide to the dark side a bit. In addition to the above, there were rumors he wasn't all that well liked in the locker room......

Funny thing is, we thought he was a great 1/2 center. One year he had 30 goals, most years he had 19-20 plus loads of assists. When you think about Cody Eakin as our 2C last year, he also had 17 goals, but only about 18 assists. Still not too far off for a sub million contract vs. a vet at several million.....and now we have Spezza.

Old
07-08-2014, 11:16 AM
The Doors

If Guy Boucher was still coaching Tampa I could see Ribeiro playing for Scarface... he's got the tools but is too much of one himself

Old
07-08-2014, 11:50 AM
vipernsx
Flatus Expeller

Quote:
Originally Posted by glovesave_35 View Post
It's only a death sentence if he doesn't do anything about it. Ribeiro was a very good player in Dallas and there weren't any big problems here. He can turn it around if he wants to.
What do you consider a "big problem"?

Quote:
Dallas Stars center Mike Ribeiro was arrested late Sunday on a public intoxication charge after an incident at a Plano restaurant, police said.
http://www.dallasnews.com/news/commu...o-says-745.ece

Old
07-08-2014, 01:44 PM
Privy
Unregistered User

The Predators have a decent track record of getting guys sober/helping guys stay sober. I wouldn't mind a one year deal in Nashville. He's not what we need, but he's better than what we have (in theory).

Old
07-08-2014, 02:26 PM
GoodNewfieBoy
Jim,coach Leafs too?

I'd say him and Ryan Malone get along great.

If you guys think ribs is bad, look at josh Gordon with the Browns. That guy could be the best wide receiver in the NFL if he could keep his head straight

Old
07-08-2014, 03:17 PM
txpenny
HFBoards Sponsor

Somebody will pick up Ribeiro and I wouldn't be surprised if he has closer to a Washington year than a Phoenix year.

I doubt seriously that his "issues" are as bad as the speculation. For the record, has M.R. had any arrests since the drunk tank night in Big D? If memory serves me correctly, in that incident, the wife was more out of control than the rat (nothing to quote - just remembering news stories and heresy of events from living in Dallas). So what's really left? Bad locker room guy; misses meetings, late for buses, lashes out at the coach. Sounds like Brett Hull during the Hitchcock era, or if you want to add the arrest, then strike Hull and make it Eddie Belfour circa the same time period and coach. I'm pretty sure there's a ton of guys out there getting a pickled a little too often and getting little extra-marital on the side, main difference being that they didn't have a year that was a total bust. I'm also not surprised by the huge drop off in production. I have to say that it seems oddly familiar of expectations that James Neal will put up 40 goals in Nashville.

If Ribs was putting up Washington numbers, I believe he'd still be a Coyote (and god I hate that damn power play announcement and howl). There was a ******** of money still payable to Ribs. For that type of dough versus his 2013/14 performance (and with a compliance buyout still available to PHX/AZ), I think just about every GM would have wanted out of that contract.

I'm not canonizing M.R. by any means. But I don't believe the seriousness of the offenses coming out of the valley of the sun, and I'm pretty certain several teams would be rewarded by taking a chance on a one year deal.

Closed Thread