HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must use the RUMOR prefix in thread title. Proposals must contain the PROPOSAL prefix in the thread title.

Mike Ribeiro - any takers

Closed Thread

Old
07-11-2014, 01:59 PM
glovesave_35
Name

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by rt View Post
Your original points were lucid and right on the money. I wish you hadn't veered in this direction.

The trend seems to be that Mike Ribeiro's personal life goes the way of his family life. This isn't unique to Mike Ribeiro. I feel like it's a pretty common trend among human beings. Mike himself cited that starting a family around the Dallas years really cleaned up his act and got him away from the bad choices he was making in his personal life as a younger man in Quebec. Again, many men are this way. I'm one of them.

Things got rocky around the time of the public drunkeness arrest. He and his wife actually divorced. They were remarried two years ago.

http://www.usatoday.com/story/sports...yotes/2816599/

Mike himself has said he struggles when away from his family. Personal choices get poorer. When things are good at home, they seem good for his personal life, too. It seems this was also the case in DC where we saw the proverbial happy wife, happy life scenario playing out.

This is the player Don Maloney signed. And it was a good contract for that player. Don and Tippett vetted him and spoke with multiple sources before making the offer. They were satisfied they were getting Mike the family man, the quiet, contented and effective player.

Obviously something changed. It has been reported that he again had marital problems. That his wife took the kids and left for Dallas.

http://msn.foxsports.com/arizona/sto...roblems-062714

It seems his on-ice performance understandably fell off a cliff at this point. His very productive first half gave way to a nightmare of a second half, and the worst hockey of his entire life. This was also manifesting itself off ice. Shouting matches with Dave Tippett and arguments with Mike Smith. Missing practices and busses. Showing up late. Being unreliable.

And....of course.... everything everyone in this thread and around Scottsdale has been alluding to with his nightlife choices. The things that result in poor work performance, and unreliability. The things that cause your employers to say things like "getting the help he needs".

This is the Ribeiro the Coyotes ended up with; an ineffective, unreliable, volatile, divisive, distraction.

Should Don Maloney have known Mike's family life was going to fall apart, with his personal life fallowing right behind, having equally destructive results on his professional life?

I personally don't think so.
No, he shouldn't have known that Ribs' family life would take a hit, that's true. I guess the thing is, if you've got a player who is a coin toss away from partying all night like a Chappelle's Show character you could decide to stay away altogether. He took a gamble and it definitely didn't pay off. It just seems like the way he publicly laid Ribeiro's problems out there when the underlying cause is something as serious as it sounds was a dick move. If you want to let other GM's know, fine, that's understandable. DM had to make his choice and I respect that. He didn't exactly take the high road while doing so.

As far as the "public drunkenness" charge, here is the story. Like I said, it sounds like the whole story was overblown from the get go. And as I mentioned earlier, it is possible in Plano Texas to be arrested with a PI charge and not be drunk. We'll never know the whole story.

When was he actually divorced, btw?

Old
07-11-2014, 02:58 PM
rt
Kim Jong-tipp

Quote:
Originally Posted by glovesave_35 View Post
No, he shouldn't have known that Ribs' family life would take a hit, that's true. I guess the thing is, if you've got a player who is a coin toss away from partying all night like a Chappelle's Show character you could decide to stay away altogether. He took a gamble and it definitely didn't pay off. It just seems like the way he publicly laid Ribeiro's problems out there when the underlying cause is something as serious as it sounds was a dick move. If you want to let other GM's know, fine, that's understandable. DM had to make his choice and I respect that. He didn't exactly take the high road while doing so.

As far as the "public drunkenness" charge, here is the story. Like I said, it sounds like the whole story was overblown from the get go. And as I mentioned earlier, it is possible in Plano Texas to be arrested with a PI charge and not be drunk. We'll never know the whole story.

When was he actually divorced, btw?
He didn't exactly take the low road either. He didn't say his wife left him [mod] which caused him to have severe discipline and behavioral problems a work. He didn't say that he was a huge distraction that dragged his whole team down with him. Or that he selfishly put his own drama ahead of the organization he was contracted to perform for.

All he did was provide his fan base the explanation they deserved after such a shocking transaction.

He said that Ribeiro has some personal problems he's getting help with. That he had some behavioral issues that the organization couldn't accept and that they were left with no other choice. He also clarified that it was not a financial decision and it would cost the team in the long run. That this was simply a conduct issue that had to be corrected. Further that he didn't feel this made the Coyotes a better team on the ice, however he doesn't feel the team will miss having a number one center because they really never did have one after the first couple of months of the season.

What do you want Don Maloney to say to his fanbase? To his season ticket holders? He just bought out the team's first marquee free agent signing of his career in Phoenix after only a year. Coyotes fans were shocked. Should he have told us that it's "personal", "none of our business", and we need to just accept it and move on?

I challenge you watch the Maloney interviews concerning Ribeiro on the Coyotes site and find any statement he made that was unprofessional or unreasonable.

With regard to the Plano arrest, it's really beside the point. Maybe it wasn't a big deal. It doesn't change the fact that Ribeiro himself has admitted to destructive personal distractions and poor decision making with regard to behavior in the past. Let's not marginalize his issues. The guy is "getting help", so I think we can all agree he doesn't have a couple of bad habits or personality quirks. It's obviously more serious than that. Otherwise he wouldn't have been fired from his job and wouldn't be seeking "help".

As for the divorce, the article states it happened soon after the Plano arrest. They remarried some time before the move to DC.

As for your chief assertions in this thread. I agree with them. The clock is certainly ticking but he's not yet a lost cause. He's got enough skill and at least a little time. He's always going to be a risk factor given his history. But if the contract is cheap enough, the term is short enough, and he's convincing enough when discussing just how far behind him his demons are, he will probably get another shot in the NHL.

I was in your corner and only took issue with the blanket, broad generalization of all law enforcement in Texas, which I'm sure you don't truly mean (residual teenage angst aside) and the bashing of Don Maloney's decision making, and professionalism. That's really the only reason I chimed in here. Otherwise I thought you were doing a fine job of carrying the discussion.

Last edited by YWGinYYZ: 07-12-2014 at 05:40 AM. Reason: Nope
Old
07-11-2014, 03:22 PM
glovesave_35
Name

Quote:
I was in your corner and only took issue with the blanket, broad generalization of all law enforcement in Texas, which I'm sure you don't truly mean (residual teenage angst aside)...
Why is it if I make a generalization that one assumes I mean every single police officer in the state? Of course that's ridiculous. I stand by my assertion in general though, and no, it's not residual teenage angst. It's been borne out by personal experiences with police officers in various cities and counties as well as following the local news. I've lived in the area for the last 16 years. I'm entitled to an opinion on the "officers of the peace" we have here in DFW.

Old
07-11-2014, 03:24 PM
rt
Kim Jong-tipp

Quote:
Originally Posted by glovesave_35 View Post
Why is it if I make a generalization that one assumes I mean every single police officer in the state? Of course that's ridiculous. I stand by my assertion in general though, and no, it's not residual teenage angst. It's been borne out by personal experiences with police officers in various cities and counties as well as following the local news. I've lived in the area for the last 16 years. I'm entitled to an opinion on the "officers of the peace" we have here in DFW.
Least relevant part of the conversation. Haha.

Old
07-11-2014, 03:28 PM
glovesave_35
Name

Quote:
Least relevant part of the conversation. Haha.
It was one half of the reason you chimed in. haha

[mod] Like I said way earlier in the thread, he needs to take some time away from hockey and get his life together. Maybe I overreacted about Maloney, it just seemed that he was being pretty vocal about a guy's personal problems in a way that seemed to me like a "don't let the door hit you on the way out" kind of way.

Last edited by YWGinYYZ: 07-12-2014 at 05:40 AM. Reason: Nope
Old
07-11-2014, 03:33 PM
vipernsx
Flatus Expeller

Quote:
Your original points were lucid and right on the money. I wish you hadn't veered in this direction.

The trend seems to be that Mike Ribeiro's personal life goes the way of his family life. This isn't unique to Mike Ribeiro. I feel like it's a pretty common trend among human beings. Mike himself cited that starting a family around the Dallas years really cleaned up his act and got him away from the bad choices he was making in his personal life as a younger man in Quebec. Again, many men are this way. I'm one of them.

Things got rocky around the time of the public drunkeness arrest. He and his wife actually divorced. They were remarried two years ago.

http://www.usatoday.com/story/sports...yotes/2816599/

Mike himself has said he struggles when away from his family. Personal choices get poorer. When things are good at home, they seem good for his personal life, too. It seems this was also the case in DC where we saw the proverbial happy wife, happy life scenario playing out.

This is the player Don Maloney signed. And it was a good contract for that player. Don and Tippett vetted him and spoke with multiple sources before making the offer. They were satisfied they were getting Mike the family man, the quiet, contented and effective player.

Obviously something changed. It has been reported that he again had marital problems. That his wife took the kids and left for Dallas.

http://msn.foxsports.com/arizona/sto...roblems-062714

It seems his on-ice performance understandably fell off a cliff at this point. His very productive first half gave way to a nightmare of a second half, and the worst hockey of his entire life. This was also manifesting itself off ice. Shouting matches with Dave Tippett and arguments with Mike Smith. Missing practices and busses. Showing up late. Being unreliable.

And....of course.... everything everyone in this thread and around Scottsdale has been alluding to with his nightlife choices. The things that result in poor work performance, and unreliability. The things that cause your employers to say things like "getting the help he needs".

This is the Ribeiro the Coyotes ended up with; an ineffective, unreliable, volatile, divisive, distraction.

Should Don Maloney have known Mike's family life was going to fall apart, with his personal life fallowing right behind, having equally destructive results on his professional life?

I personally don't think so.
Intelligent, well thought out, well articulated and overall a great post from a great poster! Anytime there's discussion about the Yotes, I always appreciate RT's posts.

Old
07-11-2014, 04:42 PM
rt
Kim Jong-tipp

Quote:
Originally Posted by vipernsx View Post
Intelligent, well thought out, well articulated and overall a great post from a great poster! Anytime there's discussion about the Yotes, I always appreciate RT's posts.
http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/sh....php?t=1707785

haha.

Old
07-11-2014, 06:00 PM
KarmaPolice
Antics

vCash: 8069
Send a message via MSN to KarmaPolice
Oilers. Sign him for a year as a bridge guy until LD is probably more ready for a bigger role next season. Just as long as MGMT trusts that he has a hold on his 'personal issues.' That would certainly be a risk around the young guys, but it's not like they are never exposed to certain things and (hopefully) chose to make the right decisions.

Last edited by KarmaPolice: 07-12-2014 at 08:31 AM.
Old
07-12-2014, 12:49 AM
rt
Kim Jong-tipp

Quote:
Originally Posted by KarmaPolice View Post
Oilers. Sign him for a year as a bridge guy for LD to be more ready for a bigger role. Just as long as MGMT trusts that he has a hold on his 'personal issues.' That would certainly be a risk around the young guys, but it's not like they are never exposed to certain things and (hopefully) chose to make the right decisions.
Lock him in Kelly Buchberger's basement? Bucky drives him to and from the rink? Bunks with him on road trips? It would make that Oilers reality show a helluva lot more interesting, that's for sure. Oil Change!

Old
07-12-2014, 04:28 AM
giddy up*

Quote:
Originally Posted by KarmaPolice View Post
Oilers. Sign him for a year as a bridge guy for LD to be more ready for a bigger role. Just as long as MGMT trusts that he has a hold on his 'personal issues.' That would certainly be a risk around the young guys, but it's not like they are never exposed to certain things and (hopefully) chose to make the right decisions.
Oilers are probably the worst fit I can think of.

Old
07-12-2014, 10:27 AM
Cyclones Rock

Someone will pick him up by November......unless he's been blackballed by the NHL or has an active drug problem with a very harsh substance or some issue on that level.

He's one season removed from a 49 points in 48 game level of production. He's only 34. He's probably a 2C on most NHL teams even with his dreadful performance last season.

He had to have been a disaster of incredible proportions last season off of the ice for Arizona to have bought him out....obviously. He had issues elsewhere prior to last season. All that will mean nothing at some point to a GM who is desperately in need of a decent center.

Maloney and the Coyotes rolled the dice with a big money long term deal and it came up snake eyes. They lost the risk/return game. The next team to take a chance on Ribero would likely only have to pony up a one year deal at under $2 million. If he returns to form, then he's the bargain of the year. If he doesn't, then he's a $1.5 million mistake in a $70 million salary cap world. The risk could very easily justify the return. Plus, everyone loves a "bad boy turns it all around" story.

Jared Boll will be starting a 3 year deal for $1.7 million per year this season. Ribero will make less on a one year deal. It will be almost impossible for some GM not to justify the tiny financial risk of signing Ribero.

Last edited by Cyclones Rock: 07-12-2014 at 10:33 AM.
Old
07-12-2014, 02:14 PM
Rando Strange
R-O-C-K-F-O-R-D

I think Phoenix was his last chance. He has shown time and time again that whatever issues/demons he has are not resolved. Like others have said. If a cash strapped team like the Coyotes buys him out when even Tippett can't take him anymore. That is a big alarm bell for the other teams in the league.
This is typically where I would say, "I hope Ribs can get the help he needs and gets another chance." Nope, he has had numerous opportunities. He's 34, time to act like a 34 year old.

Old
07-12-2014, 02:45 PM
Drury_Sakic

In all seriousness, a team like Detroit would probably be a good fit for him, both in terms of need and being around a club that has a very solid backbone of character guys and that has helped/dealt with players that have had issues in the past.

If any club in the NHL can rehabilitate a player, the Red Wings can.

As long he does not completely spiral down being unemployed and continues to right his ship and work out, someone will come calling in late November or early December as injuries hit.

Old
07-12-2014, 04:20 PM
Just One Cup

So sad all that talent went to an idiot. How many chances can the guy get? I don't see teams wanting him near their locker room, especially one with lots of youth. I hope he ends up getting the help he needs but i would be pissed if my team gave him a contract and it happened all over again.

Old
07-12-2014, 05:54 PM
Drury_Sakic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oshie97 View Post
So sad all that talent went to an idiot. How many chances can the guy get? I don't see teams wanting him near their locker room, especially one with lots of youth. I hope he ends up getting the help he needs but i would be pissed if my team gave him a contract and it happened all over again.
You never know with NHL GMs, but I think it is safe to say if he is brought back to the NHL he will probably only ever get one year deals from here on out.

IF he did not work out, the team could just show him the door again.

Old
07-12-2014, 08:29 PM
SupersonicMonkey*

Quote:
Originally Posted by haveandare View Post
I wouldn't.

"Said Maloney, to the Republic: 'We weren't naïve to some of the issues of the past, but we felt it could be manageable and managed,' Maloney said. 'Obviously, it was a mistake.'"

The Rangers have enough locker room issues losing Boyle and Richards and bringing in rookies. I don't want this guy near them. He's not good enough of a player to take the risk of him screwing with the locker room IMO.
Agree.

Sign the RFAs, sign Lee Stempniak (add some more leadership), and go into camp with what we got.

Old
07-12-2014, 10:13 PM
Maj. Conn Smythe

If no NHL team signs him by late November, then he may have to consider the KHL (or Europe) as an option to continue playing professionally.

Old
07-13-2014, 07:14 AM
PerdFan

Rumor is that Ribeiro may have been seen in Nashville yesterday. Also a conversation was overheard between Poile, Laviolette and an assistant that lead to the belief that Ribeiro was the one being discussed. True or not, I don't know. Not sure which way I feel if it is true. Preds could certainly use his talent but with such a young dressing room and a huge transitional year for the organization, it makes me a little nervous taking on another reclamation project.

Old
07-13-2014, 10:53 AM
leafs1habs0
Burn the Boats

Would like to see Nonis give him a chance with the Leafs. Dion could whip him into shape. LOL

Also recall Dreger said the Flames offered to take on Ribs for the Yotes 12th pick, but he wouldn't waive to go to CGY - for 1-2mil per like Mason Raymond with us last year, he's definitely worth taking a shot.

Old
07-14-2014, 05:59 PM
Trainmman

Mike Ribeiro should make a decision this week about his future. He visit a Western team and will talk to a Eastern team this week.
5:57pm - 14 Jul 14

That was what Renaud Lavoie tweeted.. Guessing Rangers and Nashville..

Old
07-14-2014, 06:07 PM
vipernsx
Flatus Expeller

Quote:
hahaha, awesome!

Old
07-14-2014, 06:09 PM
vipernsx
Flatus Expeller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trainmman View Post
Mike Ribeiro should make a decision this week about his future. He visit a Western team and will talk to a Eastern team this week.

I hope not!

Old
07-14-2014, 06:10 PM
Infinite Jest

If the two teams are correct, he'll go to Nashville if he's smart. The New York media will tear him apart the first time he makes any mistake.

Old
07-14-2014, 06:13 PM
BigT2002

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trainmman View Post

Vancouver and Florida

Old
07-14-2014, 06:33 PM
Frank Garrett

I'll always have love for this d bag because he helped me win my first hockey pool while he was on the Caps.

Closed Thread