HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Vancouver Canucks
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Vancouver's starting lineup for the season

Closed Thread

Old
07-10-2014, 04:09 PM
ARSix

vCash: 500
I desperately hope that Shinkaruk is ready to make the leap onto this roster because the guy has such exciting upside.

Old
07-10-2014, 08:55 PM
TheWanderer

Sedin - Sedin - Vrbata
Burrows - Bonino - Kassian
Higgins - Vey - Hansen
Matthias/Richardson - Matthias/Richardson - Dorsett
Sestito

Barring any trades or prospects cracking the line-up, that is your opening roster by the looks of it.

Management seems to be keen on pushing the following agenda regarding specific individuals (at least to start the season):

Vrbata with the Sedins - obviously GMJB has this in mind, and has put the notion forward that he at least want this to be the first line until it proves itself to be the right or the wrong fit. Vrbata will start the season with the Sedins almost by default at this point. What goes without saying is that this could change during the season - whether Burrows shows he should be on that line, or Kassian or anyone else does.

Burrows as the 2LW - Burrows will be given the benefit of the doubt by the new management group, because last year shows all signs of being an anomaly. Of course things change over the course of the season, but this is where things will start.

Bonino as the 2C - Bonino was brought in under the belief that he would cut it as a 2C. He will be tried and tried at that position. If he falters as the 2C, be prepared to watch that be the case for an extended period of time.

Vey and Dorsett on the ice - Neither of these players are missing opening roster (barring injury of course, no matter how camp goes. They are new GMJB acquisitions, and previously coached players by WD.

Any changes in the roster I've posted above are more likely to happen mid-season. Things like certain players playing crappy, or playing well. Injuries causing call-ups, and the called up player makes a case for staying in the bigs. Other than that, Horvat could make the team. That's about it, really.

Old
07-11-2014, 10:57 AM
archangel archangel

vCash: 157
My guess

Bieksa, Kevin
Bonino, Nick
Burrows, A
Corrado, Frank
Dorsett, Derek
Edler, Alexander
Hamhuis, Dan
Hansen, Jannik
Higgins, Chris
Jensen, Nicklas
Kassian, Zack
Matthias, Shawn
Richardson, Brad
Sbisa, Luca
Sedin, Daniel
Sedin, Henrik
Sestito, Tom
Tanev, Chris
Vrbata, Radim
Weber, Yannick

Old
07-11-2014, 11:20 AM
MAGICMAN1963

Quote:
Originally Posted by ugghhh View Post
Sedin-Sedin-Vrbata
Shinkaruk-Bonino-Kassian
Burrows-Vey-Matthias
Higgins-Horvat-Hansen

Play run and gun. Lose, who cares. At least it would be exciting.
what do we have to loose

Old
07-11-2014, 03:18 PM
EyKim

Sedin-Sedin-Vrbata
Jensen-Bonino-Burrows
Higgins-Horvat-Kassian
Hansen/Matthias/Vey-Richardson-Dorsett

Hamhuis-Tanev
Edler-Bieksa
Stanton-Corrado

Milller
Lack

Would love to see young prospects like Corrado, Jensen, and Horvat make the team, I feel like Horvat will play for the 9 games and then be sent back down to juniors since he can't play in the AHL. Corrado will make the team if he plays well enough to do so but otherwise Sbisa will play in that bottom pair dman role
It's pretty clear we have too many bottom six forwards and a need at 2C. Also that Edler-Bieksa pair will make me nervous every time they're on the ice...

Old
07-11-2014, 04:11 PM
TheWanderer

If Horvat gets 9 games, a simple solution would be to sit Richardson out for those 9 games. It's pretty tight, though, so I think it's more likely he goes back to junior after the 9 games. We have plenty of AHL guys to move up if we need them, or if they prove their worthy.

Old
07-11-2014, 04:17 PM
canuck4life16
It what it is-mccann

vCash: 576
so no one see Fox who is older making the lineup......he might have a better chance than Horvat?

Old
07-11-2014, 04:23 PM
Sharpshooter

vCash: 550
Quote:
Originally Posted by canuck4life16 View Post
so no one see Fox who is older making the lineup......he might have a better chance than Horvat?
Not a chance imo...but that probably goes for Horvat as well. No one outside of Vey or Jensen seems to have a shot at cracking and staying in the lineup this upcoming season.

Old
07-11-2014, 04:26 PM
lindgren

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharpshooter1 View Post
Not a chance imo...but that probably goes for Horvat as well. No one outside of Vey or Jensen seems to have a shot at cracking and staying in the lineup this upcoming season.
Well, sure, unless there are injuries. I could see Fox or Gaunce surprising with a great beginning in Utica and then getting a long-term chance with the Canucks as an injury fill-in.

Old
07-11-2014, 04:36 PM
TheWanderer

Quote:
I don't think anyone who is eligible to play in the AHL without waivers is going to make the opening roster this year. So primarily, this means I don't think Shinkaruk, Gaunce, Fox, or Jensen make it. There is just too much of a logjam, and we're better off waiting for these players to make their case during an injury call-up.

The only chance Horvat gets is if he is given 9 games and pushes Richardson or Dorsett out for those 9 games - and beyond that, I don't think he sticks unless he has a really good string of games.

Having said that, I feel that Fox has just as much opportunity and potential to receive and injury call-up as any of the other three players.

Old
07-13-2014, 11:24 PM
TheKottonmouthed

The more I think about it, the more I see and want most the young guys starting in the AHL, if they can. Though I want to see Horvat get his 9 games, nothing wrong with letting your best prospects get that taste if they are close to ready, something to get them pumped and a feel of the level they have to get to for the following season.

That being said if they are ready then make the room, But I only see Vey being the truly ready guy to break out of camp and stick all year. He is gonna be raring to go to start the year back with his junior coach Willie D.

Old
07-13-2014, 11:45 PM
medhatcanuck

Sedin - Sedin - Vrbata
Higgins - Vey/Horvat - Hansen
Matthias - Richardson - Dorsett
(Jensen will be called up once any winger on either side is injured)

Hamhuis - Tanev
Edler - Corrado
Sbisa - Bieksa

Miller
Lack

This is gonna be a tough season for goals.

One thing I'm really worried about is Burrows.
He's not really being given an opportunity to regain his form.
1) He's not being played with Sedins - this is the only place where he has earned his salary.
2) He'll be moving back to the LW. Again, his best days were on the RW.
3) Kes is gone - his PK partner will be gone and this was another place where he earned his salary.
4) He will be expected to produce on the 2nd PP and 1st PK, without good offensive linemates and without his usual PK buddy.
5) None of Burrows/Bonino/Kassian are exceptionally offensive players on their own. Burrows relied upon Sedins, Bonino played on a powerhouse team, and Kassian has yet to offensively break out.

I can see Burrows really getting dog-housed by Willie.
Hopefully these three players step up. Hopefully our top 9 step up. Maybe i'm being overly pessismistic but I just don't see our top 9 working out at all.

Old
07-13-2014, 11:49 PM
BobbyJazzLegs
Sorry 4 Acting Werd

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheWanderer View Post
Sedin - Sedin - Vrbata
Higgins - Vey - Hansen
Matthias/Richardson - Matthias/Richardson - Dorsett
Sestito

Barring any trades or prospects cracking the line-up, that is your opening roster by the looks of it.

Management seems to be keen on pushing the following agenda regarding specific individuals (at least to start the season):

Vrbata with the Sedins - obviously GMJB has this in mind, and has put the notion forward that he at least want this to be the first line until it proves itself to be the right or the wrong fit. Vrbata will start the season with the Sedins almost by default at this point. What goes without saying is that this could change during the season - whether Burrows shows he should be on that line, or Kassian or anyone else does.

Burrows as the 2LW - Burrows will be given the benefit of the doubt by the new management group, because last year shows all signs of being an anomaly. Of course things change over the course of the season, but this is where things will start.

Bonino as the 2C - Bonino was brought in under the belief that he would cut it as a 2C. He will be tried and tried at that position. If he falters as the 2C, be prepared to watch that be the case for an extended period of time.

Vey and Dorsett on the ice - Neither of these players are missing opening roster (barring injury of course, no matter how camp goes. They are new GMJB acquisitions, and previously coached players by WD.

Any changes in the roster I've posted above are more likely to happen mid-season. Things like certain players playing crappy, or playing well. Injuries causing call-ups, and the called up player makes a case for staying in the bigs. Other than that, Horvat could make the team. That's about it, really.
I almost 100% agree with you, but I think the bottom 9 barring Bonino will be juggled with regularity, even early in the year.

I want to see Bo on the team.

Old
07-14-2014, 01:31 PM
Ho Borvat

Quote:
I think with Fox, he isn't far away but he will go to the AHL to get some seasoning. He likely breaks onto the team in a bottom-6 role at first (call up when bottom 6'ers get injured) because he is fairly physical and agitating.

Old
07-14-2014, 01:45 PM
canucks10

D. Sedin - H. Sedin - R. Vrbata
A. Burrows - N. Bonino - Z. Kassian
C. Higgins - L. Vey - J. Hansen
D. Dorset - B. Richardson - S. Matthias

D. Hamhuis - K. Bieksa
A. Edler - C. Tanev
L. Sbisa - R. Stanton

R. Miller
E. Lack

Old
07-14-2014, 05:59 PM
MAGICMAN1963

Quote:
Originally Posted by canucks10 View Post
D. Sedin - H. Sedin - R. Vrbata
A. Burrows - N. Bonino - Z. Kassian
C. Higgins - L. Vey - J. Hansen
D. Dorset - B. Richardson - S. Matthias

D. Hamhuis - K. Bieksa
A. Edler - C. Tanev
L. Sbisa - R. Stanton

R. Miller
E. Lack
Sedin-Sedin-Vrbata
L Vey-N Bonino-A Burrows
C Higgins-B Horvat-Z Kassian
D Dorset-B Richardson-S Matthias

i am thinking that a trade will happen before training camp with J Hanson or Higgins, as i think Shinkaruck or one of our rookies will earn a spot,,not just Horvat.

am hoping for defense as i am still not liking ours.

Old
07-14-2014, 06:03 PM
Sharpshooter

vCash: 550
Quote:
Originally Posted by lindgren View Post
Well, sure, unless there are injuries. I could see Fox or Gaunce surprising with a great beginning in Utica and then getting a long-term chance with the Canucks as an injury fill-in.
It's possible, but not likely. Although with the Nuck's injury history, it may not be out of the realm of possibility to see them perhaps.

Old
07-14-2014, 07:32 PM
ARSix

Can we just stop and talk about the defense pairings people are putting up?

Ryan Stanton had a massive, insane season last year playing with Kevin Bieksa. I do not understand why anyone would be anxious to break up that pairing.

I ESPECIALLY do not understand why you'd break it up to pair Bieksa with Edler. That is a flaming car wreck of a pairing, and always has been. You should know better.

Meanwhile, Hamhuis and Tanev were outstanding together last season. Why not again? I guess the cynical reason is if you want Tanev not to look like an all star and consequently not have him command 4+ mil per on his contract next summer, but I'm assuming we're going for the best possible lineup here.

Finally we have Edler... who by default gets Luca Sbisa. Which I'm not thrilled about, but it's worth a shot, as no one else seems to be able to play effectively with Edler. I wish we'd signed Ehrhoff, but you make do with what you have.

Hence,

Hamhuis - Tanev
Edler - Sbisa
Stanton - Bieksa
Weber

Why is the above wrong?

Old
07-14-2014, 08:15 PM
TheKottonmouthed

Quote:
Originally Posted by ARSix View Post
I desperately hope that Shinkaruk is ready to make the leap onto this roster because the guy has such exciting upside.
We will get to see him at some point this year, I would imagine.

However, I hope he starts in the AHL, I think it would be much better for him to succeed when he gets to the NHL if first he can get his pro jitters out of the way in Utica and hopefully build confidence by producing.

I could see Hunter, Jensen, Gaunce, and Fox see a call around Xmas or the deadline, almost guaranteed if we see injuries up front or become sellers down the stretch.

I am hoping Benning is being candid when saying he will make room when these guys are ready, replenishing and stocking 2015/16 draft picks would be in our best interest. Hopefully we can get guys with NTC/NMC to waive easily.

Old
07-14-2014, 08:24 PM
Win One Before I Die
The Keg or bust

I hope Horvat makes the team. I feel another year of junior won't do him anything.

I really dislike that junior rule, you should be able to make special exceptions for your top pick in the draft to play on your AHL team, I know that's where he needs to be.

Old
07-14-2014, 09:37 PM
arshonagon

Sedin-Sedin-Vrbata
Burrows-Bonino-Kassian
Higgins-Vey-Hansen
Matthias-Richardson-Dorsett

Hamhuis-Tanev
Edler-Corrado
Stanton-Bieksa

Any of Gaunce, Jensen, Horvat, Shinkaruk, Fox, or even longshots Virtanen, McCann could make the team. If that is the case I see some of the older forwards traded to contenders for picks. I think this is most likely in the forwards, and I think the top candidates are Higgins, Hansen, and Burrows. Which could get us some decent picks in the top 3 rounds of a deep draft next year. These guys should only make the team if they earn it though, truly outperform the older guys.

Old
07-14-2014, 10:13 PM
OCSportsfan

I think you will be surprised the Ducks gave up on Sbisa. If he is allowed to play more of an offensive role, and plays with a good top 4 D-first partner, he could have a very good year. He was partnered with Beachamin for a stretch and was very good. He would have been in the top 4 this year, but Lindholm beat him for the spot.

I could see him and Bieksa as a really good pair (if Bieksa plays on the right)

Enjoy, you will like watching him play.

Old
07-14-2014, 10:18 PM
Scurr

Quote:
Originally Posted by OCSportsfan View Post
I think you will be surprised the Ducks gave up on Sbisa. If he is allowed to play more of an offensive role, and plays with a good top 4 D-first partner, he could have a very good year. He was partnered with Beachamin for a stretch and was very good. He would have been in the top 4 this year, but Lindholm beat him for the spot.

I could see him and Bieksa as a really good pair (if Bieksa plays on the right)

Enjoy, you will like watching him play.
Thanks for that. You won't get most fans here to consider him any more than a cap dump… they're still pouting about having to trade Kesler… which is fitting

Old
07-14-2014, 11:36 PM
Numbers

Barring younger players make the team, this is where we stand today.

CAPGEEK.COM ARMCHAIR GM ROSTER
CapGeek Armchair GM Roster

FORWARDS

Daniel Sedin ($7.000m) / Henrik Sedin ($7.000m) / Radim Vrbata ($5.000m)
Alexandre Burrows ($4.500m) / Nick Bonino ($1.900m) / Zack Kassian ($1.750m)
Chris Higgins ($2.500m) / Linden Vey ($0.735m) / Jannik Hansen ($2.500m)
Shawn Matthias ($1.750m) / Brad Richardson ($1.150m) / Derek Dorsett ($1.633m)
Tom Sestito ($0.750m) /

DEFENSEMEN

Dan Hamhuis ($4.500m) / Kevin Bieksa ($4.600m)
Alexander Edler ($5.000m) / Chris Tanev ($2.000m)
Luca Sbisa ($2.175m) / Ryan Stanton ($0.550m)
Frank Corrado ($0.591m) / Yannick Weber ($0.850m)

GOALTENDERS

Ryan Miller ($6.000m)
Eddie Lack ($1.150m)

BUYOUTS

David Booth ($0.000m)
Keith Ballard ($0.000m)

RETAINED SALARIES (1.16% of upper limit)

Roberto Luongo ($0.800m—15.00%)

BONUS OVERAGE
$0
------
CAPGEEK.COM TOTALS (follow @capgeek on Twitter)
(estimations for 2014-15)
SALARY CAP: $69,000,000; CAP PAYROLL: $66,384,444; BONUSES: $8,333
CAP SPACE (23-man roster): $2,615,556

Pretty solid group.

2nd best goaltending in division
2nd or 3rd best defence in division
4th best forwards in division

I think this is good enough to get in playoffs. San Jose feels like they are on tilt. Possibly could displace them in the 3rd spot.

Old
07-14-2014, 11:46 PM
Fictional Realism
Moustache Power

vCash: 894
Really interested to see how the defensive pairings play out. Can Stanton actually play the right side or is that just speculation? Assume Sbisa will be given every opportunity to succeed.

Closed Thread