HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Vancouver Canucks
Notices

Vancouver's starting lineup for the season

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
07-02-2014, 10:26 PM
  #76
TheWanderer
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Posts: 1,944
vCash: 500
As is:

Sedin - Sedin - Vrbata
Burrows - Bonino - Kassian
Higgins - Horvat/Vey - Hansen/Vey
Dorsett/Matthias - Matthias/Richardson - Hansen/Dorsett/Matthias
Sestito...

Hamhuis - Bieksa
Edler - Tanev
Stanton - Sbisa
Weber

Miller
Lack


I don't feel like Burrows on the second line is good enough unless he turns things 180, and I feel like we have one too many in the bottom 6.

I'm also not sold on the D, mostly because I'm not confident in Edler still...

Not sure what is going to happen to our 3rd goalie, whichever that may turn out to be.

There's also a whole slew of prospects who may make a surprising push for a spot in camp:
Gaunce, Fox, Shinkaruk, Jensen, Cassels, Corrado... Virtanen? McCann?


EDIT:
Over the course of the year, I think Matthias and Vey start to push themselves up the lineup.

TheWanderer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2014, 10:27 PM
  #77
Socratic Method Man
Weise's Lost Lunch
 
Socratic Method Man's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,653
vCash: 622
We could still use a 2-way center... someone who is good defensively. Henrik is ok but I'm hoping the coaching staff uses him in mainly offensive situations to maximize his point potential. Then there's Bonino, who is allegedly not great defensively; Linden Vey, who has 18 career nhl games and is allegedly not great defensively either; Richardson who is pretty good but is more of a fourth liner; and Matthias, who seems not bad defensively. I don't know if Matthias would be a competent choice for full-time third line center though. So it's pretty bleak.

Santorelli would look pretty good right about now. We could roll a really good shut down third line to give the Sedins more offensive roles and to insulate the kids in the lineup a bit.


Sedin Sedin Vrbata
Vey Bonino Kassian
Burrows Santorelli Hansen
Higgins Matthias Dorsett


A bit unrealistic having Burrows on the 3rd and Higgins on the 4th, but Santorelli would still be a good add.

Socratic Method Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2014, 10:30 PM
  #78
TheWanderer
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Posts: 1,944
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Socratic Method Man View Post
We could still use a 2-way center... someone who is good defensively. Henrik is ok but I'm hoping the coaching staff uses him in mainly offensive situations to maximize his point potential. Then there's Bonino, who is allegedly not great defensively; Linden Vey, who has 18 career nhl games and is allegedly not great defensively either; Richardson who is pretty good but is more of a fourth liner; and Matthias, who seems not bad defensively. I don't know if Matthias would be a competent choice for full-time third line center though. So it's pretty bleak.

Santorelli would look pretty good right about now. We could roll a really good shut down third line to give the Sedins more offensive roles and to insulate the kids in the lineup a bit.


Sedin Sedin Vrbata
Vey Bonino Kassian
Burrows Santorelli Hansen
Higgins Matthias Dorsett


A bit unrealistic having Burrows on the 3rd and Higgins on the 4th, but Santorelli would still be a good add.
Yeah, not sure if they're baking on Gaunce or Horvat for that role. Richardson is great for this in a 4th line role.

Can Vey play LW?

TheWanderer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2014, 10:33 PM
  #79
Socratic Method Man
Weise's Lost Lunch
 
Socratic Method Man's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,653
vCash: 622
Quote:
Originally Posted by Numbers View Post
Check out Roman Josi as Tanev's comparable. When Josi signed his 4M contract his career high was 18 points.
Preds fans seem to think Josi is a star-in-the-making - they have talked about him like he's on his way to becoming Suter. If they are correct, then 4 mil seems like a good price for a young Suter.

I hope Tanev is on his way to being a dman of Suter's caliber. However, at this point, he doesn't look close, imo. So I'm not sure how you'd justify a 4 mil AAV.

Paying big contracts early is how teams become bad fast.

Socratic Method Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2014, 10:36 PM
  #80
Socratic Method Man
Weise's Lost Lunch
 
Socratic Method Man's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,653
vCash: 622
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheWanderer View Post
Yeah, not sure if they're baking on Gaunce or Horvat for that role. Richardson is great for this in a 4th line role.

Can Vey play LW?
He's listed as a right wing on hockeydb and I think Kings fans said he played exclusively center (?) last season, so probably not. I don't know where to slot everyone in, but I feel like Vey may be able to replicate what he did in the AHL (scoring lots of points) if he is given good linemates (second liners) and isn't given too many responsibilities.

Socratic Method Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2014, 11:04 PM
  #81
TheWanderer
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Posts: 1,944
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Socratic Method Man View Post
He's listed as a right wing on hockeydb and I think Kings fans said he played exclusively center (?) last season, so probably not. I don't know where to slot everyone in, but I feel like Vey may be able to replicate what he did in the AHL (scoring lots of points) if he is given good linemates (second liners) and isn't given too many responsibilities.
We sure do have a lot of right wingers as is -- it would be nice if someone could move over to the much shallower left side.

Burrows and Higgins are both players that I consider more 3rd liners. Burrows' contract isn't looking too good right now.

TheWanderer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2014, 11:10 PM
  #82
Royal Canuck
#Shinkaruk4Calder
 
Royal Canuck's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Victoria, BC
Country: Canada
Posts: 10,689
vCash: 50
Sedin - Sedin - Vrbata
Higgins - Bonino - Burrows
Shinkaruk* (Return from Hansen trade??) - Horvat - Kassian
Matthias - Richardson - Dorsett
Vey
Sestito

Hamhuis - Bieksa
Edler - Tanev
Weber - Sbisa
Stanton

Miller
Lack

Hansen dealt for a 3rd Line LW.

__________________

Twitter |HFBoards Contact | Blog
Xbox Live Gamertag: "CxC Canuck"
"Everybody says be a good loser; I think if you're a good loser, you're a loser. " - John Tortorella
Royal Canuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2014, 11:15 PM
  #83
Horvat2Virtanen
HFBoards Sponsor
 
Horvat2Virtanen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Country: Canada
Posts: 33,801
vCash: 50
Sedin - Sedin - Vrbata
Higgins - Bonino - Kassian
Burrows - Horvat - Santorelli
Vey - Richardson/Matthias - Dorsett

If Santo isn't brought back

Sedin - Sedin - Vrbata
Burrows - Horvat - Higgins
Vey - Bonino - Kassian
Matthias - Richardson - Dorsett

In any event I don't see Hansen back next year

Hamhuis - Bieksa
Edler - Tanev
Stanton - Corrado

Miller
Lack

__________________


Clear Eyes. Full Hearts. Can't Lose!
Horvat2Virtanen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2014, 11:18 PM
  #84
TheWanderer
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Posts: 1,944
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Royal Canuck View Post
Sedin - Sedin - Vrbata
Higgins - Bonino - Burrows
Shinkaruk* (Return from Hansen trade??) - Horvat - Kassian
Matthias - Richardson - Dorsett
Vey
Sestito

Hamhuis - Bieksa
Edler - Tanev
Weber - Sbisa
Stanton

Miller
Lack

Hansen dealt for a 3rd Line LW.
Higgins and Burrows are both ideal 3rd line wingers (except Burrows is overpaid). I don't think either of them belong in the top-6 if Benning hopes to send this team in his intended direction.

I'm pretty sure Vey is making the team, and not as the 13th forward.

Not too confident that Shinkaruk makes the team this year, based on his injury. Even Jensen is a long-shot for next season.

I'd really like to see Kassian start hitting the top 6.

TheWanderer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2014, 11:22 PM
  #85
Phenomenon13
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Posts: 378
vCash: 500
Sedin-Sedin-Vrbata
Burrows-Bonino-Kassian
Higgins-xxx-Hansen
Matthias-Richardson-Dorsett
Sestito/Vey

xxx = Santorelli? or Ribeiro?

Edler-Tanev
Hamhuis-Bieksa
Sbisa-xxx
Stanton

xxx = Diaz or Corrado

Miller
Lack

Phenomenon13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2014, 11:25 PM
  #86
Bunter McVirtanen
Registered User
 
Bunter McVirtanen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Vernon, BC
Country: Canada
Posts: 415
vCash: 500
OUT:
Kesler
Garrison
Booth

IN:
Bonino
Sbisa
Dorsett
Vey
Miller
Vrbata

I think we will be better than last year but still not good enough to squeeze into the playoffs.

Bunter McVirtanen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2014, 11:27 PM
  #87
Todds Chiropractory
Registered User
 
Todds Chiropractory's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Vancouver Island
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,113
vCash: 50
For me when I break it down Vrbata, Jensen and Kassian have to the be the teams top 3 RWs staying in their natural positions.

H. Sedin, Bonino, Horvat (AKA young center competition spot) have to be our top 3 centers

D. Sedin and Higgins are our only two locks as top 9 LW

Dorsett is a lock for 4th line RW IMO.

Sedin Sedin Vrbata
X Bonino Jensen
Higgins Horvat Kassian
Y Z Dorsett


So that leaves 1 top 9 LW spot to be fought after by Burrows, Hansen, Vey and Matthias spot X with the player considered for 4th line duty of this group of 4 playing on spot Y.

Now I see spot Z as close to lock for Richardson, but I could understand arguments being made for either Vey or Matthias going there.

Looking at this outline I would go with.

Sedin Sedin Vrbata
Vey Bonino Jensen
Higgins Horvat Kassian
Matthias Richardson Dorsett

Trade Burrows and Hansen.

Todds Chiropractory is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2014, 11:46 PM
  #88
TheWanderer
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Posts: 1,944
vCash: 500
For some reason, I was thinking Dorsett was a left winger.

TheWanderer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2014, 11:48 PM
  #89
Goon42
Registered User
 
Goon42's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Posts: 738
vCash: 500
Kassian better be at least on the 2nd line

Goon42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2014, 11:48 PM
  #90
TheWanderer
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Posts: 1,944
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Todds Chiropractory View Post
For me when I break it down Vrbata, Jensen and Kassian have to the be the teams top 3 RWs staying in their natural positions.

H. Sedin, Bonino, Horvat (AKA young center competition spot) have to be our top 3 centers

D. Sedin and Higgins are our only two locks as top 9 LW

Dorsett is a lock for 4th line RW IMO.

Sedin Sedin Vrbata
X Bonino Jensen
Higgins Horvat Kassian
Y Z Dorsett


So that leaves 1 top 9 LW spot to be fought after by Burrows, Hansen, Vey and Matthias spot X with the player considered for 4th line duty of this group of 4 playing on spot Y.

Now I see spot Z as close to lock for Richardson, but I could understand arguments being made for either Vey or Matthias going there.

Looking at this outline I would go with.

Sedin Sedin Vrbata
Vey Bonino Jensen
Higgins Horvat Kassian
Matthias Richardson Dorsett

Trade Burrows and Hansen.
I'm pretty skeptical that Jensen makes the team out of camp. I don't really think is chances are much greater than Shinkaruk's to be honest.

TheWanderer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2014, 11:57 PM
  #91
Anthony
HFBoards Sponsor
 
Anthony's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Posts: 9,318
vCash: 500


#22 Daniel Sedin - #33 Henrik Sedin - #17 Radim Vrbata
#14 Alexandre Burrows - #13 Nick Bonino - #9 Zack Kassian
#20 Chris Higgins - #57 Linden Vey - #36 Jannik Hansen
#27 Shawn Matthias - #15 Brad Richardson - # Derek Dorsett
#29 Tom Sestito

#2 Dan Hamhuis - #3 Kevin Bieksa
#23 Alex Edler - #8 Chris Tanev
#5 Luca Sbisa - #26 Frank Corrado
#18 Ryan Stanton

#30 Ryan Miller
#31 Eddie Lack

Anthony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2014, 12:05 AM
  #92
BuzzBuzz
Registered User
 
BuzzBuzz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Posts: 317
vCash: 50
Sedin-Sedin-Vrbata
Burrows-Bonino-Kassian
Higgins-Horvat-Hansen
Richardson-Vey-Dorsett
Matthias

Edler-Tanev
Hamhuis-Bieksa
Stanton-Corrado
Sbisa

Miller
Lack

- Biggest question mark for me is whether Horvat can play the 3rd line role and play against tough competition similar to Couturier
- I really hope they managed to dump Sbisa's contract. Will really free up cap space to acquire players from teams over the cap

BuzzBuzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2014, 12:08 AM
  #93
clay
Registered User
 
clay's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Vancouver
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,704
vCash: 500
Jensen has absolutely no business being a full-timer on this team next year... he has a ton of developing to do still. A few flashes in with the big club does not mean he's ready.

clay is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2014, 12:25 AM
  #94
Goon42
Registered User
 
Goon42's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Posts: 738
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthony View Post


#22 Daniel Sedin - #33 Henrik Sedin - #17 Radim Vrbata
#14 Alexandre Burrows - #13 Nick Bonino - #9 Zack Kassian
#20 Chris Higgins - #57 Linden Vey - #36 Jannik Hansen
#27 Shawn Matthias - #15 Brad Richardson - # Derek Dorsett
#29 Tom Sestito

#2 Dan Hamhuis - #3 Kevin Bieksa
#23 Alex Edler - #8 Chris Tanev
#5 Luca Sbisa - #26 Frank Corrado
#18 Ryan Stanton

#30 Ryan Miller
#31 Eddie Lack
I can fug wit this

Goon42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2014, 12:25 AM
  #95
Wisp
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Posts: 4,873
vCash: 500
I'm really curious who centers the second line. IMO, Vey is better than Bonino.

Bonino's PDO and shooting percentage will come crashing down next year. My expectations for him are low.

Wisp is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2014, 12:30 AM
  #96
pullyoursocksup
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Country: Canada
Posts: 925
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by clay View Post
Jensen has absolutely no business being a full-timer on this team next year... he has a ton of developing to do still. A few flashes in with the big club does not mean he's ready.
he showed last year that can play in the nhl. He has a good nhl shot, played solid minutes and was competent defensively. I have absolutely no idea what makes you think he has "no business" being a full-timer. He will have to earn his spot but I don't see anything that suggests he has "no business" being on the team.

pullyoursocksup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2014, 12:33 AM
  #97
TheWanderer
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Posts: 1,944
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by pullyoursocksup View Post
he showed last year that can play in the nhl. He has a good nhl shot, played solid minutes and was competent defensively. I have absolutely no idea what makes you think he has "no business" being a full-timer. He will have to earn his spot but I don't see anything that suggests he has "no business" being on the team.
Jensen is a total wildcard IMO. Either he'll come out of the gates flying, or he'll stink it up again.

This kid is becoming an enigma.

TheWanderer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2014, 12:37 AM
  #98
deckercky
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Posts: 5,614
vCash: 500
Sedin - Sedin - Vrbata
Burrows - Bonino - Kassian
Higgins - Horvat - Hansen
Matthias - Richardson - Dorsett
Sestito, Vey

Hamhuis - Bieksa
Edler - Tanev
Sbisa - Stanton
Weber

Miller
Lack

deckercky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2014, 12:44 AM
  #99
Wisp
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Posts: 4,873
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheWanderer View Post
Jensen is a total wildcard IMO. Either he'll come out of the gates flying, or he'll stink it up again.

This kid is becoming an enigma.
What nonsense. He's only played a single season of his entry level contract.

And he started that season injured, fyi.

Wisp is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2014, 12:49 AM
  #100
TheWanderer
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Posts: 1,944
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wisp View Post
What nonsense. He's only played a single season of his entry level contract.

And he started that season injured, fyi.
I'm talking about training camp. He'll either come flying out of the gates and earn himself a spot, or he may just not have that great of a camp and end up back in the AHL awaiting a call-up.

Him making the team is not set in stone. The way the roster is structured, he'll have to make a serious push to make the team IMO. If he does, that's awesome. Which is why I call him a wildcard.

In no way did I mean to call him a boom/bust prospect.

TheWanderer is online now   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:19 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.