HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Vancouver Canucks
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Vancouver's starting lineup for the season

Closed Thread

Old
07-03-2014, 12:53 AM
pullyoursocksup

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheWanderer View Post
Jensen is a total wildcard IMO. Either he'll come out of the gates flying, or he'll stink it up again.

This kid is becoming an enigma.
I have no idea what player you are talking about. Jensen shouldn't in any way be classified as an enigma or a total wildcard. He's a 21 year old former 29th overall pick, who showed definite promise in the NHL last season, and probably has the best chance of any of our prospects to crack the roster.

Old
07-03-2014, 12:59 AM
TheWanderer

Quote:
Originally Posted by pullyoursocksup View Post
I have no idea what player you are talking about. Jensen shouldn't in any way be classified as an enigma or a total wildcard. He's a 21 year old former 29th overall pick, who showed definite promise in the NHL last season, and probably has the best chance of any of our prospects to crack the roster.
Apparently wildcard was the wrong word to use, because people keep getting bent out of shape over it..........

He had a pretty lousy season, all things considered, but things were trending upwards in the latter half. Those are all good signs, but I'm not sure he's a lock to make the team or anything.

He's kind of hard to gauge, is what I'm getting at. He wont push into the bottom 6, because of the players that are in place there who wont be moving up (Like Hansen and Dorsett, even Matthias, and now Vey), so he basically has to leap-frog Kassian to make the team.

This is what I mean by wildcard. It's really hard to predict how he is going to come out of training camp.

Again, I'm not referring to the long term. I think he'll be a serviceable winger for this team going forward. I'm just not quite sure about if he will be "yet".

Old
07-03-2014, 01:04 AM
clay

Quote:
"Definite promise" is a far cry from "NHL player". 6 points in 17 NHL games and 21 points in 54 AHL games (albeit trending upwards) shows to me that he needs more time on the farm. I admire the Detroit model of prospects having to prove that they are above the competition in the AHL as opposed to feeding them a roster spot because they show some competence. Take Linden Vey...has trended upwards for years and now legitimately deserves an NHL spot because he has no more progressing to do in the AHL.

Old
07-03-2014, 01:08 AM
TheWanderer

Quote:
Originally Posted by clay View Post
"Definite promise" is a far cry from "NHL player". 6 points in 17 NHL games and 21 points in 54 AHL games (albeit trending upwards) shows to me that he needs more time on the farm. I admire the Detroit model of prospects having to prove that they are above the competition in the AHL as opposed to feeding them a roster spot because they show some competence. Take Linden Vey...has trended upwards for years and now legitimately deserves an NHL spot because he has no more progressing to do in the AHL.
Agreed. Jensen has to have a strong camp to make the opening roster. His benefit is that he can simply go to the A and get called up.

It's not that simple for Horvat, which is why I think Horvat is more likely to get 9 games than Jensen is to crack the opening roster.

It could go something along the lines of Horvat getting his 9 games, going back to junior, and Jensen coming up to replace him.

Then again, the same could be said about Gaunce, Fox, and Shinkaruk.

Old
07-03-2014, 01:15 AM
CP
Thou shalt not Tank

Center is hard to predict. Hank is clearly number one, and Richardson is clearly number four. I was really impressed with Richardson last year even if he will not produce much offensively. However, the two and three center spots are up in the air. Realistically those spots could be filled by Bonino, Vey, Matthias, or Horvat. Seems like there are a bunch of different opinions on these players. Getting four decent players competing for two center spots is a good strategy for filling those roles. If the Canucks are rolling four lines more evenly next year it may not matter that the number two center isn't an elite player. Four good two way centers may be able to out hustle other teams.
Camp will certainly be interesting in the fall. At least the Canucks have more center depth, so when injuries occur they shouldn't have to plug Burrows and Higgins in those center slots. Last year that was awful.

Old
07-03-2014, 01:20 AM
TheWanderer

Quote:
Originally Posted by CP View Post
Center is hard to predict. Hank is clearly number one, and Richardson is clearly number four. I was really impressed with Richardson last year even if he will not produce much offensively. However, the two and three center spots are up in the air. Realistically those spots could be filled by Bonino, Vey, Matthias, or Horvat. Seems like there are a bunch of different opinions on these players. Getting four decent players competing for two center spots is a good strategy for filling those roles. If the Canucks are rolling four lines more evenly next year it may not matter that the number two center isn't an elite player. Four good two way centers may be able to out hustle other teams.
Camp will certainly be interesting in the fall. At least the Canucks have more center depth, so when injuries occur they shouldn't have to plug Burrows and Higgins in those center slots. Last year that was awful.
I think the first line is set with the Sedins and Vrbata.

The second line is totally up in the air, but barring any more moves, I'm pretty confident that it will be composed of Bonino and Kassian, and probably Burrows.

Higgins should lock the 3LW spot, and the remaining 2 spots on the 3rd line will be fought over by Horvat, Vey, and Hansen.

The 4th line looks pretty good at Matthias - Richardson - Dorsett.

IMO, it looks like Horvat will only make the team if one more forward is shipped out.

Old
07-03-2014, 01:37 AM
CP
Thou shalt not Tank

If Horvat makes the team, I can see Vey becoming a 13th forward, popping in and out of the line-up in different positions. I think Matthias is also in the running for a center spot and not necessary a 4th line winger. Anyways, there will be lots of competition in training camp. Players like Kenins, Lain, Gaunce, Shinkaruk, Fox, etc, may surprise and grab a spot.

Old
07-03-2014, 01:42 AM
TheWanderer

Quote:
Originally Posted by CP View Post
If Horvat makes the team, I can see Vey becoming a 13th forward, popping in and out of the line-up in different positions. I think Matthias is also in the running for a center spot and not necessary a 4th line winger. Anyways, there will be lots of competition in training camp. Players like Kenins, Lain, Gaunce, Shinkaruk, Fox, etc, may surprise and grab a spot.
I don't think Vey gets pushed into a 13th forward position. More likely, Dorsett gets pushed out, IMO. Vey could easily move to wing.

Matthias had a spurt of games after we acquired him that shows that he has the potential to really push his way around the roster. It seems to me like he can grant this team a lot of versatility, going forward. I think he's better than the 4th line, and the fact that he is being undisputedly slotted there is a testament to this team's middle-6 depth.

Old
07-03-2014, 02:05 AM
Trelane

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthony View Post

#22 Daniel Sedin - #33 Henrik Sedin - #17 Radim Vrbata
#14 Alexandre Burrows - #13 Nick Bonino - #9 Zack Kassian
#20 Chris Higgins - #57 Linden Vey - #36 Jannik Hansen
#27 Shawn Matthias - #15 Brad Richardson - # Derek Dorsett
#29 Tom Sestito

#2 Dan Hamhuis - #3 Kevin Bieksa
#23 Alex Edler - #8 Chris Tanev
#5 Luca Sbisa - #26 Frank Corrado
#18 Ryan Stanton

#30 Ryan Miller
#31 Eddie Lack
Looks right. Higgins and Burrows are interchangeable depending on who's going. I fear Alex won't rebound much if kept from the Sedins. Be interesting to see if they go with 14 forwards or 8 D. If the former and Corrado and Weber are a push you have to go with the youngster. I would also like to see Horvat earn that 3rd line centre spot and move Vey to RW in lieu of Hansen. But the kid has to bring it. Not sure about Jansen. If he's improved Hansen's time here may be up.

1st PP:
Sedin-Sedin-Vrbata
Edler-Bieksa

2nd PP:
Higgins/Vey-Bonino-Kassian
Hamhuis-Weber

Now upping our playoff chances from 40% to 50%. On paper it looks a little better than last year. All on Willie to implement the right system.

Old
07-03-2014, 02:07 AM
Yossarian54

This probably wont happen but personally I would go with:

Sedin-Sedin-Vrbata
Higgins-Bonino-Kassian
Matthias-Burrows-Vey
Dorsett-Richardson-Hansen

Burrows is probably the best option for a defensively-orientated 3C we have, given Matthias and Vey both suck on faceoffs, and Vey is more of a winger. Split the difficult starts between the bottom 3 lines, and move Hansen/Higgins to the 3rd if you really need a shut-down line. Swap Vey and Kassian if either goes through a cold patch. Jensen in the AHL unless he starts putting up near PPG or Vey has a crap camp and start.

Of course if we get Santorelli (which we really, really should if we actually want to contend) he goes to 3C, Burrows to #LW, bump Matthias down and Dorsett out (not that they'll do that, but they should).

Hamhuis-Bieksa
Edler-Tanev
Stanton-Weber
Sbisa

Sbisa reportedly sucks on the right and we have 3 lefties who are better than him (yes, I genuinely think that Stanton is better than him unless he has really figured **** out).

Old
07-03-2014, 02:09 AM
pullyoursocksup

Quote:
Apparently wildcard was the wrong word to use, because people keep getting bent out of shape over it..........

He had a pretty lousy season, all things considered, but things were trending upwards in the latter half. Those are all good signs, but I'm not sure he's a lock to make the team or anything.

He's kind of hard to gauge, is what I'm getting at. He wont push into the bottom 6, because of the players that are in place there who wont be moving up (Like Hansen and Dorsett, even Matthias, and now Vey), so he basically has to leap-frog Kassian to make the team.

This is what I mean by wildcard. It's really hard to predict how he is going to come out of training camp.

Again, I'm not referring to the long term. I think he'll be a serviceable winger for this team going forward. I'm just not quite sure about if he will be "yet".
Yea "wildcard" and "enigma" are words definitely gave me a different impression. I agree he certainly isn't a lock. He will have to have a really good camp, because with the amount of bottom 6 forwards this team is collecting, I agree he may have to leapfrog players like higgins, hansen etc. on the depth chart to guarantee a spot. A lot will depend on what kind of lines Desjardins wants to set up, but I think Jensen has a decent shot to make the team.

Old
07-03-2014, 02:13 AM
TheWanderer

Quote:
Yea "wildcard" and "enigma" are words definitely gave me a different impression. I agree he certainly isn't a lock. He will have to have a really good camp, because with the amount of bottom 6 forwards this team is collecting, I agree he may have to leapfrog players like higgins, hansen etc. on the depth chart to guarantee a spot. A lot will depend on what kind of lines Desjardins wants to set up, but I think Jensen has a decent shot to make the team.
100% agreed

Old
07-03-2014, 02:14 AM
pullyoursocksup

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yossarian54 View Post
This probably wont happen but personally I would go with:

Sedin-Sedin-Vrbata
Higgins-Bonino-Kassian
Matthias-Burrows-Vey
Dorsett-Richardson-Hansen

Burrows is probably the best option for a defensively-orientated 3C we have, given Matthias and Vey both suck on faceoffs, and Vey is more of a winger. Split the difficult starts between the bottom 3 lines, and move Hansen/Higgins to the 3rd if you really need a shut-down line. Swap Vey and Kassian if either goes through a cold patch. Jensen in the AHL unless he starts putting up near PPG or Vey has a crap camp and start.

Of course if we get Santorelli (which we really, really should if we actually want to contend) he goes to 3C, Burrows to #LW, bump Matthias down and Dorsett out (not that they'll do that, but they should).

Hamhuis-Bieksa
Edler-Tanev
Stanton-Weber
Sbisa

Sbisa reportedly sucks on the right and we have 3 lefties who are better than him (yes, I genuinely think that Stanton is better than him unless he has really figured **** out).
Burrows has been tried at centre multiple times and it has never worked. I highly doubt we use him that way after acquiring new centres (Matthias, Vey, Bonino) in the past 6 months or so. I personally don't like the idea of higgins on the second line, I think he's much more effective on the third line. I'd want to put a more skilled player up there (like a Vey, Burrows or Jensen), so long as they show that they are capable of handling the role. I wouldn't be surprised if our second and third lines get similar ice time this upcoming season, because on paper they don't look much different in terms of ability.

Old
07-03-2014, 02:15 AM
2 posts and a bar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trelane View Post
Looks right. Higgins and Burrows are interchangeable depending on who's going. I fear Alex won't rebound much if kept from the Sedins. Be interesting to see if they go with 14 forwards or 8 D. If the former and Corrado and Weber are a push you have to go with the youngster. I would also like to see Horvat earn that 3rd line centre spot and move Vey to RW in lieu of Hansen. But the kid has to bring it. Not sure about Jansen. If he's improved Hansen's time here may be up.

1st PP:
Sedin-Sedin-Vrbata
Edler-Bieksa

2nd PP:
Higgins/Vey-Bonino-Kassian
Hamhuis-Weber

Now upping our playoff chances from 40% to 50%. On paper it looks a little better than last year. All on Willie to implement the right system.
I like it decent depth with some push from the prospect pool

Old
07-03-2014, 02:20 AM
pullyoursocksup

Quote:
I don't think Vey gets pushed into a 13th forward position. More likely, Dorsett gets pushed out, IMO. Vey could easily move to wing.

Matthias had a spurt of games after we acquired him that shows that he has the potential to really push his way around the roster. It seems to me like he can grant this team a lot of versatility, going forward. I think he's better than the 4th line, and the fact that he is being undisputedly slotted there is a testament to this team's middle-6 depth.
Yea i couldn't agree more when it comes to the bottom 6. Judging by the trade, and the words of both the player and management, Vey can be expected to challenge hard for a top 9 spot. The fact that he can play him helps him a ton as well. Matthias did look pretty good, and if he and Richardson are staples on the 4th line, I think our 4th line gets a substantial amount of ice time this year. Don't see how Dorsett will be able to push one of them out of the lineup, and with the bottom-6 looking quite full already I wouldn't be surprised at all if he becomes our 13th forward.

Old
07-03-2014, 02:20 AM
TheWanderer

Barring any trades or signings:

Sedin - Sedin - Vrbata
Burrows - Bonino - Kassian
Higgins - Vey - Hansen
Matthias - Richardson - Dorsett
Sestito

Variable:
Horvat OR Jensen makes the team out of camp. This likely affects Vey and/or Hansen.

Old
07-03-2014, 02:21 AM
me2
Callng out the crap

vCash: 93
Quote:

Vey is the complete opposite of what Benning wants in his bottom 6, especially the 4th line. Top 3 lines or bust.

Old
07-03-2014, 02:23 AM
TheWanderer

Quote:
Yea i couldn't agree more when it comes to the bottom 6. Judging by the trade, and the words of both the player and management, Vey can be expected to challenge hard for a top 9 spot. The fact that he can play him helps him a ton as well. Matthias did look pretty good, and if he and Richardson are staples on the 4th line, I think our 4th line gets a substantial amount of ice time this year. Don't see how Dorsett will be able to push one of them out of the lineup, and with the bottom-6 looking quite full already I wouldn't be surprised at all if he becomes our 13th forward.
Dorsett gets paid too much to be a 13th forward. Considering we traded a 3rd for the guy, I would be pretty disappointed in that scenario. I just don't see it.

I'm also shocked to see all the people placing Vey as the 13th forward. Isn't he able to go to the AHL without clearing waivers? I'd rather him play there with Shinkaruk, Gaunce, Fox, and maybe Jensen. I think Vey becomes a staple middle-6 for us in the short term. Long term, who knows.

Old
07-03-2014, 02:24 AM
TheWanderer

Quote:
Originally Posted by me2 View Post
Vey is the complete opposite of what Benning wants in his bottom 6, especially the 4th line. Top 3 lines or bust.
Well, I meant indirectly - Vey to 3RW, Hansen down, Dorsett out. But that would be a shame, considering what we traded, and his cap hit. In this kind of situation, I'd rather we just move Hansen.

Old
07-03-2014, 02:37 AM
Havre

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthony View Post

#22 Daniel Sedin - #33 Henrik Sedin - #17 Radim Vrbata
#14 Alexandre Burrows - #13 Nick Bonino - #9 Zack Kassian
#20 Chris Higgins - #57 Linden Vey - #36 Jannik Hansen
#27 Shawn Matthias - #15 Brad Richardson - # Derek Dorsett
#29 Tom Sestito

#2 Dan Hamhuis - #3 Kevin Bieksa
#23 Alex Edler - #8 Chris Tanev
#5 Luca Sbisa - #26 Frank Corrado
#18 Ryan Stanton

#30 Ryan Miller
#31 Eddie Lack
Know nothing about Vey, but could very well see the line-up looking very close to that one.

Hopefully Horvat and/or Jensen makes the team (at some point, but maybe not right away). Would not be surprised if Hansen drops out or down to the 4th line (personally do not rate Dorsett, even if I think he will bring a lot of good energy to our 4th line initially). Could also see Matthias playing as a C on the 3rd line.

Not an excellent team, but a good team. Not really much worse than the NYR from last season in my opinion. Got a decent shot at beating SJ.

Old
07-03-2014, 09:33 AM
Olandsns

sedin - sedin - vrbata
call up* -bonino - kassian
higgins - mathais - burrows
dorsett - richardson - Hansen

*(jensen, vey, shink(too bad he missed last year and no one knows how he is progessing this summer, but he should be the best fit as far as the skillset we are missing on the line))

I actually agree with an agrument ive heard regarding Horvat that, while eligible to play one more year in Junior, considering the style he plays it would be better for his development to play in the pros. That said, he actually carries a decent cap hit and will likely be a downgrade from mathias as 3C for the same price.

Seems like we'll be tight against the cap once the rfas are signed.

Old
07-03-2014, 10:04 AM
Reign Nateo

D. Sedin - H. Sedin - Vrbata
Burrows - Bonino - Kassian
Higgins - Horvat - Vey
Matthias - Richardson - Hansen
Dorsett

It what I would like to see (ie Horvat good enough to force his way on the team). But I think we'll still see a trade before the season starts and Horvat will start in junior.

Old
07-03-2014, 10:21 AM
MadaCanuckle

Sedin-Sedin-Kassian
Burrows-Bonino-Vrbata
Higgins-Horvat-Vey
Richardson-Matthias-Hansen/Dorsett
Jensen

Hamhuis-Bieksa
Edler-Tanev
Sbisa-Weber
Stanton

Miller
Lack

We have too much RW and we need a top 6 LW. Our D could use a boost on the 3rd pairing (Del Zotto (LD) and McBain (RD) are available, but I don't know if these two are upgrades over what we have right now), and, for much dismay, we could use Lack as bait for a team that needs a G.

Old
07-03-2014, 10:35 AM
Shareefruck

Why are people putting Sbisa ahead of Stanton? Stanton looked as good as a top 4-5 guy the last two years.

Old
07-03-2014, 10:35 AM
Christina Woloski
#FIREBENNING

Quote:
I think the first line is set with the Sedins and Vrbata.

The second line is totally up in the air, but barring any more moves, I'm pretty confident that it will be composed of Bonino and Kassian, and probably Burrows.

Higgins should lock the 3LW spot, and the remaining 2 spots on the 3rd line will be fought over by Horvat, Vey, and Hansen.

The 4th line looks pretty good at Matthias - Richardson - Dorsett.

IMO, it looks like Horvat will only make the team if one more forward is shipped out.
i agree with all of this except for that Matthias is a lock on the 4th. I think he's got more up-side than what others have seen. Potential to center the 3rd line between Higgens and Hansen.

Matthias is a big, strong guy. If he focused on his defensive game, could be prototypical third liner center. I think he's the perfect example of how you can develop a player wrong.

Closed Thread