HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Toronto Maple Leafs
Notices

Who Do We Have That Is Safe From Waivers?

Closed Thread

Old
09-10-2005, 05:42 PM
Lottario

vCash: 500
Who Do We Have That Is Safe From Waivers?

I was reading an article in the Star today, and it said that under the new rules (probably something many people knew and I was just to stupid to realize), players with less than 3 years pro experience didn't have to clear waivers going between the NHL and AHL, so my question is, who do we have that falls under this category. The only two I can think of who might get switched between the two are Wellwood and Coliacavo. Anyone else?

Old
09-10-2005, 11:43 PM
kfernandes29

Neither of those two would clear waivers. Believe me, if any team notices either of those two on waivers......they will no longer be part of the Leafs franchise. Those are two quality prospects. If anyone would clear waivers I would have to say it'd be Wilm.

Old
09-11-2005, 01:48 AM
Lightsol

Wellwood and Colaiacovo have 2-way contracts. They don't have to clear waivers because their contact pays them less than $75,000 if they get demoted, plus they don't have 3 years experience (that meaning 3 years at the NHL or in an elite league; last time I checked, the AHL doesn't count, though it IS a pro league and it could...).

Old
09-11-2005, 07:03 AM
It Kills Me

So if say, we wanted Belak in the minors to save cap space.. we could send him down and if he cleared waivers we'd save cap space?

Old
09-11-2005, 10:22 AM
Mess
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skittles
So if say, we wanted Belak in the minors to save cap space.. we could send him down and if he cleared waivers we'd save cap space?
Right in Theory , Wrong in this example ..

Only players on 2-way contracts of which Belak is not can be sent to the farm team .. However any player that has less then 3 years of service or is still on his Entry level contract can move freely up and down .. (ex. Carlo, Welly, Steen, Stajan, Kukumberg) ..

Note :Waivers restrictions rules is actually a complicated combination of # of NHL games played, age, experience and contract type.. but for ease think of it as players under 3 years of NHL service to be safe.

Players like Belak need to clear waivers first to be sent anywhere .. However if they clear and no one picks up the player then the team is still obligated to pay him his FULL guaranteed NHL contract and the FULL amount also continues to count against the Cap. The player is not obligated to go play in the AHL and he can go home and sit on his couch and get full pay if he likes .. This is an example of Dead Cap Space in a hard cap world..

That is why it would always preferably and in the best interest of any team that your 4th liners, 3 pairing of Dmen and backup goalie be on 2-way contracts to be utilized in this way.. However again if you want to send a player like Clarke Wilm on a 2-way contract down to the farm, you can ...but you risk losing that player as another team can claim him while he is on the 48-72 hour waiver period before he reaches the AHL ..

If multiple teams put in a claim then the team lowest in the standings is awarded the player and he is no longer current team property.

In your Belak example though, it is very unlikely should the Leafs placed him on waivers he would go unclaimed.. Another team, that needs toughness could claim him for a minimal $$$ (waiver fee) and then his full unpaid (to that point in the season) would no longer count against the cap ..

Last edited by Mess: 09-11-2005 at 10:32 AM.
Old
09-11-2005, 10:35 AM
It Kills Me

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mess
Right in Theory , Wrong in this example ..

Only players on 2-way contracts of which Belak is not can be sent to the farm team .. However any player that has less then 3 years of service or is still on his Entry level contract can move freely up and down .. (ex. Carlo, Welly, Steen, Stajan, Kukumberg) ..

Note :Waivers restrictions rules is actually a complicated combination of # of NHL games played, age, experience and contract type.. but for ease think of it as players under 3 years of NHL service to be safe.

Players like Belak need to clear waivers first to be sent anywhere .. However if they clear and no one picks up the player then the team is still obligated to pay him his FULL guaranteed NHL contract and the FULL amount also continues to count against the Cap. The player is not obligated to go play in the AHL and he can go home and sit on his couch and get full pay if he likes .. This is an example of Dead Cap Space in a hard cap world..

That is why it would always preferably and in the best interest of any team that your 4th liners, 3 pairing of Dmen and backup goalie be on 2-way contracts to be utilized in this way.. However again if you want to send a player like Clarke Wilm on a 2-way contract down to the farm, you can ...but you risk losing that player as another team can claim him while he is on the 48-72 hour waiver period before he reaches the AHL ..

If multiple teams put in a claim then the team lowest in the standings is awarded the player and he is no longer current team property.

In your Belak example though, it is very likely should the Leafs placed him on waivers he would go unclaimed by another team that needs toughness and then his full unpaid (to that point in the season) would no longer count against the cap ..
Thanks for clearing that up.

Closed Thread