HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Toronto Maple Leafs
Notices

When Mats is gone

Closed Thread

Old
09-10-2005, 05:52 PM
Steeltown

vCash: 500
When Mats is gone

I've been thinking recently about what is going to happen when Mats is forced to retire. Wether it's in three, four, or eight years. how are we going to replace this guy? he is probably the most reliable, consistent, dedicated bonafide 1st line centre we have watched play for the history of this club. Who will ever be able to fill Sundins shoes when the time comes?. Steen? maybe, but we haven't even seen him yet. Stajan? I don't think he's able, his max potential is a solid two-way 2nd line centre.

There is the free agent option, but does anyone think a player of Sundins calibre would be let go by any team through free agency? doubtful. Mats is 34 now, and he consistantly plays through traffic and takes beating after beating. Our workhorse will run out of gas in the near future unfortunately, maybe we should start thinking about this. He already looks like a tired tired man

Old
09-10-2005, 06:09 PM
Dark Knight
#WeTheNorth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steeltown
I've been thinking recently about what is going to happen when Mats is forced to retire. Wether it's in three, four, or eight years. how are we going to replace this guy? he is probably the most reliable, consistent, dedicated bonafide 1st line centre we have watched play for the history of this club. Who will ever be able to fill Sundins shoes when the time comes?. Steen? maybe, but we haven't even seen him yet. Stajan? I don't think he's able, his max potential is a solid two-way 2nd line centre.

There is the free agent option, but does anyone think a player of Sundins calibre would be let go by any team through free agency? doubtful. Mats is 34 now, and he consistantly plays through traffic and takes beating after beating. Our workhorse will run out of gas in the near future unfortunately, maybe we should start thinking about this. He already looks like a tired tired man
Joe Thornton. When his 3 year contract is gone!

Old
09-10-2005, 06:14 PM
psod

This is precisely the reason why we need to work on our farm system.

There are many benefits to developing your own stars. Most importantly is that by the time they become free agents they generally don't want to jump ship anyway. By that time they've got roots in the city, and have become franchise players.

Old
09-10-2005, 06:17 PM
LeafErikson*
Ice to meet you

I'm not sure that he looks tired, but ya, we do have to start wondering who is going to be his heir apparent. Steen is a strong possibility, but still years from knowing that for sure. Wellwood could surprise, but I wouldn't count on it. I believe our team Leader of the future however will be a Colaiacovo. I think this season he is going to prove he belongs in the NHL, he'll stay healthy, no more flukey injuries, and he'll develope into a top notch NHL defencman.

Old
09-11-2005, 03:03 AM
BuppY

Sundin's never going to retire, he's going to keep playing forever, forevaa forevaa foreva forevaa.

Old
09-11-2005, 03:06 AM
Joey24

Send a message via ICQ to Joey24
I don't see Sundin hanging up the skates after his contract is up. I do hope that he takes a huge paycut to stay with the leafs if he is still performing. IMO regardless Mats Sundin will retire a Toronto Maple Leaf.

Old
09-11-2005, 06:13 AM
Riddarn
1980-2011

I think Mats will try to go to a real contender for at least one more year after his Maple Leafs contract is up.

Old
09-11-2005, 06:39 AM
It Kills Me

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riddarn
I think Mats will try to go to a real contender for at least one more year after his Maple Leafs contract is up.
Yea, rumours are that the Leafs are his first choice.

Honestly, I wouldn't mind tanking one year.. and drafting a Joe Thornton, or something.

Old
09-11-2005, 06:40 AM
BuppY

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skittles

Honestly, I wouldn't mind tanking one year.. and drafting a Joe Thornton, or something.
Not if that high pick turns into a Daige or Patrick Stefan.

Old
09-11-2005, 06:56 AM
Bytown

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skittles

He has aslo said he would one day like to play with alferdson it is very possible he could end up in ottawa.

Old
09-11-2005, 07:01 AM
It Kills Me

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaydog2005
He has aslo said he would one day like to play with alferdson it is very possible he could end up in ottawa.
Yea, he thought that stick swinging impression was a very funny joke.. And that Alfredsson, is like a clown to him.

Old
09-11-2005, 09:21 AM
BrentZ10

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaydog2005
Yeah, the face of the Maple Leafs for the last decade would go and sign with their biggest rival. There was a reason Forsberg didn't sign in Vancouver or Naslund didn't go to Colorado(Other than the cap).

Old
09-11-2005, 09:48 AM
It Kills Me

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrentZ10
Yeah, the face of the Maple Leafs for the last decade would go and sign with their biggest rival. There was a reason Forsberg didn't sign in Vancouver or Naslund didn't go to Colorado(Other than the cap).
Him and me forgot to put in the sarcasm tags.

Old
09-11-2005, 11:40 AM
Vic Rattlehead*

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaDdY
Keep dreaming.

Old
09-11-2005, 11:46 AM
Leeroy Jenkins

Quote:
Originally Posted by 19bruins19
Keep dreaming.
Keep Trolling

Old
09-11-2005, 11:59 AM
Vic Rattlehead*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leafsin2006
Keep Trolling
Funny, because what I said isn't trolling.

Old
09-11-2005, 12:32 PM
Mess
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by 19bruins19
Funny, because what I said isn't trolling.
It wasn't accurate either ..but we will not hold that against you ..

Three more years of early playoff exits should convince Joe quick enough that he should try his luck elsewhere ,and he could join his buddy Samsonov over here

Last edited by Mess: 09-11-2005 at 01:30 PM.
Old
09-11-2005, 12:34 PM
Verbal Kint*

To be honest, I wouldn't be surprised if Mats was willing to re-negotiate his contract to lower the cap hit once that's possible. If he does leave though, Big Joe wouldn't look to bad in the Blue and White. And if that's not possible perhaps Mr. Allison will have stuck around long enough to take the brunt of the workload.

Old
09-11-2005, 12:37 PM
Raging Bull

It's highly unlikely that we will ever see another player like Mats here as soon as he leaves. After all, first overall draft selections only come along once a year, and Toronto hasn't had one in a very long time, nor do they have the tradeable assets to aquire one.

Old
09-11-2005, 12:50 PM
Verbal Kint*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raging Bull
It's highly unlikely that we will ever see another player like Mats here as soon as he leaves. After all, first overall draft selections only come along once a year, and Toronto hasn't had one in a very long time, nor do they have the tradeable assets to aquire one.
I'm sure Patrik Stefan wouldn't be too hard to acquire, and hell, we could get Owen Nolan back!

Old
09-11-2005, 12:52 PM
formsoldier*

I was in Canada at the stick swingin time.... damn that was funny, when Alfredsson did that.

I think that the fans reacted more to it than Sundin himself. Sundin is dead serious but he's also a pretty relaxed guy off it.

Mats Sundin our strong Viking, who ALWAYS puts on a solid performance...will probably stay within the Leafs organization some how after his retirement.

And the other day, I saw that thread about him going to HOF or not. omfg what a stupid thread. Of course he will. Hopefully they'll win the cup before his retirement too!

Old
09-11-2005, 12:55 PM
Raging Bull

Quote:
Originally Posted by Master of Puppets
I'm sure Patrik Stefan wouldn't be too hard to acquire, and hell, we could get Owen Nolan back!
Alright I stand corrected. I meant 1st overall selections that don't suck, or are complete morons.

Old
09-11-2005, 01:01 PM
ULF_55
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaDdY

There is a reason he went with a shorter term contract.

Old
09-11-2005, 01:26 PM
Mess
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Master of Puppets
To be honest, I wouldn't be surprised if Mats was willing to re-negotiate his contract to lower the cap hit once that's possible. If he does leave though, Big Joe wouldn't look to bad in the Blue and White. And if that's not possible perhaps Mr. Allison will have stuck around long enough to take the brunt of the workload.
FYI ..

Mats has 3 years left on his deal, however on your lower cap hit thought.. He only actaully will make $4.5 mil in year 3 of that deal ..

So any future extension you would think would be at that amount or lower depending on how Mats holds up at 37 then .. IMO

Old
09-11-2005, 01:28 PM
Vic Rattlehead*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mess
It wasn't accurate either ..but we will not hold that against you ..

Three more years of early playoff exists should convince Joe quick enough that he should try his luck elsewhere ,and he could join his buddy Samsonov over here ..
Can you tell me the lottery numbers, Miss Cleo?

Closed Thread