HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Chicago Blackhawks
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Interesting article about good and badly run teams

Old
07-07-2014, 01:33 AM
Foster81

vCash: 500
Interesting article about good and badly run teams

http://www.sportingnews.com/nhl/stor...ts-free-agency

This guy is just slamming Tallon and Nonis

Foster81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2014, 02:56 AM
Taze em

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foster81 View Post
http://www.sportingnews.com/nhl/stor...ts-free-agency

This guy is just slamming Tallon and Nonis
I'll always love Dale for building the Hawks back up but I don't think it is even controversial anymore:

The Hawks window would be closed now if Tallon was still in charge. He is too loyal to his guys. Campbell, Bolland, Versteeg, all his draft picks. It is his biggest weakness and it will cost him this time around.

Taze em is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2014, 10:08 AM
hockeydoug

Never much of a fan of Tallon's overall body of work as a management type or the myth of Bolland's play. I enjoyed the article more than I should have.

hockeydoug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2014, 10:46 AM
kuzy

I feel bad for the Panthers. When they hired the guy who put together the 2010 cup winning hawks team, I don't think they ever thought that all this would happen

kuzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2014, 10:49 AM
zytz
lumberjack

yikes that was poorly written. great points he's making but yeesh

zytz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2014, 10:57 AM
digdug41982

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by kuzy View Post
I feel bad for the Panthers. When they hired the guy who put together the 2010 cup winning hawks team, I don't think they ever thought that all this would happen
Ever thought what would happen? The were horrible when he got there and had no farm system.

digdug41982 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2014, 11:03 AM
kuzy

Quote:
Originally Posted by coldsteelonice84 View Post
Ever thought what would happen? The were horrible when he got there and had no farm system.
That they'd be signing bolland for 5.5 mil. They thought they were at rock bottom but Tallon has found ways to make them worse off.

Old
07-07-2014, 11:10 AM
digdug41982

Quote:
That they'd be signing bolland for 5.5 mil. They thought they were at rock bottom but Tallon has found ways to make them worse off.
I don't see that. They were at rock bottom when he got there. Now, they have a stable of very good young players. Sure, they paid Bolland 5.5M but don't forget they needed to get to the cap floor anyway.

digdug41982 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2014, 11:32 AM
BobbyJet
HFB Partner

Quote:
I don't see that. They were at rock bottom when he got there. Now, they have a stable of very good young players. Sure, they paid Bolland 5.5M but don't forget they needed to get to the cap floor anyway.
I must admit, I didn't think anyone would sign Bolland for that much money. However, if any team were to take the plunge, it would be a bottom team needing to meet the minimum cap. IMO, with Bolland there are simply too many question marks for that contract, but I hope he can stay healthy and play like he is capable of.

One thing about Dale: He is faithful to players he has liked in the past and the players like him a lot. That was the case here, and I'm sure it is the same in Florida.

Dale is a gambler who does things his own way - on the surface he seems to be the polar opposite of Stan. Since he took over in Florida, I have tried to catch Panthers on the tube when I can, and that will not change.

BobbyJet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2014, 12:08 PM
ObeyMashinter

Quote:
We were warning their fans that Talon is kinda a schmuck other than drafting. They were pretty confident and also were telling some of us that they won every trade made with us since Talon took them over. I don't really feel bad for the Panthers or their fans myself.

ObeyMashinter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2014, 12:12 PM
ObeyMashinter

Quote:
I don't feel like the Bolland signing is detrimental to FL. They are so far from the cap ceiling and will be even further away as the cap rises that this signing could be good. Obviously Bolland is not a game changer, but when he is healthy he can make some pretty good contributions. We should know about that.

ObeyMashinter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2014, 12:33 PM
kuzy

Quote:
Originally Posted by ObeyBollig View Post
I don't feel like the Bolland signing is detrimental to FL. They are so far from the cap ceiling and will be even further away as the cap rises that this signing could be good. Obviously Bolland is not a game changer, but when he is healthy he can make some pretty good contributions. We should know about that.
Im sure there are ways to get to cap ceiling that don't involve signing an already injury prone 3C coming off of a brutal Achilles tendon injury to 5.5 mil just because you drafted him back in the day. There is no way that this signing will ever be anything remotely close to good

Old
07-07-2014, 12:44 PM
hockeydoug

Quote:
Im sure there are ways to get to cap ceiling that don't involve signing an already injury prone 3C coming off of a brutal Achilles tendon injury to 5.5 mil just because you drafted him back in the day. There is no way that this signing will ever be anything remotely close to good
Ahh, it might get Tallon out of there by giving Viola an excuse to put a competent management team in there before more of all the really tough decisions start to come down the road. This may work out well for Florida by accident.

I am happy for Bolland that he won't be getting as much negative media attention for the contract he isn't responsible for in FLA.

hockeydoug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2014, 01:04 PM
Hawkaholic

Quote:
They still are at rock bottom, even with all these young guys... 5 years later.

The only reason they have "all these young guys" is because they are consistently at rock bottom. Let's not forget that none of his picks have really made much of an impact outside of 1 good season from Huberdeau.

Hawkaholic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2014, 01:08 PM
G0AT

First let me say, I've got nothing but love for Tallon for drafting Toews/Kane and bringing in Hoss and Sharp.

I guess he just hasn't pulled the right strings in Florida yet. He seems to be too loyal to his guys and when it comes to the business side of it, he tends to lose out. I hope they do well this year though, and Tallon gets the monkey off his back.

G0AT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2014, 01:14 PM
Hawkaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny Hawkey View Post
First let me say, I've got nothing but love for Tallon for drafting Toews/Kane and bringing in Hoss and Sharp.

I guess he just hasn't pulled the right strings in Florida yet. He seems to be too loyal to his guys and when it comes to the business side of it, he tends to lose out. I hope they do well this year though, and Tallon gets the monkey off his back.
He didn't bring in Hossa, he wanted Havlat over Hossa.

Hawkaholic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2014, 01:27 PM
BobbyJet
HFB Partner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawkaholic View Post
Quite true... and I might add that there were a fair number of folks here that (back then) wanted Havlat as well. Heck, even a few years after Hossa was here, some were still discussing that decision, some still wanting Havlat in a Hawk uniform, despite his best days behind him and his history of being injury prone. It wasn't just Dale.

BobbyJet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2014, 01:30 PM
Kurtosis
Trying Not To Suck

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobbyJet View Post
Quite true... and I might add that there were a fair number of folks here that (back then) wanted Havlat as well. Heck, even a few years after Hossa was here, some were still discussing that decision, some still wanting Havlat in a Hawk uniform, despite his best days behind him and his history of being injury prone. It wasn't just Dale.
I'm sure those same people still question the decision and would rather have Havlat on the Hawks ahead of Hossa.

Kurtosis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2014, 01:42 PM
IU Hawks fan
They call me IU

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawkaholic View Post
Yet another example of Dale's loyalty obsession.

IU Hawks fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2014, 02:36 PM
No Fun Shogun
Global Moderator
34-38-61-10-13-15

He served his purpose incredibly well, but the organization cut ties with him at pretty much the perfect moment. Wish him nothing but the best of luck wherever he works due to this role in building the 2010 team, but I'd take Bowman over him in a heartbeat.

2010 - 2013 - 2015 Chicago Blackhawks | 2016 Chicago Cubs - EAMUS CATULI! AC0000000
No Fun Shogun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2014, 03:33 PM
AmericanDream
Puck You

Tallon has built a solid nucleous there in Florida, and that team will challenge for a playoff spot very soon.

The Bolland signing is laughable, but in context the Panthers have to spend $$$ just to get to the damn floor and he went with a guy he is familiar with.. I question the years on the deal more so then the money, but it is a bad contract at the end of the day, but a bad contract that needed to go out to somebody.

Barkov, Huberdeau, Bjugstad, Ekblad, Trocheck, etc is a nice solid building block for this team and it's future. They have a lot of young talent and this is the year to see how many of them truly start developing.

AmericanDream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2014, 03:44 PM
x Tame Impala

There's a worthwhile discussion to be had somewhere about how all the Canadian teams (except MTL) and Florida are inexplicably ran so poorly.

x Tame Impala is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2014, 05:18 PM
ChiGuySez
Streak ends 108

Outside of caphell and tendering contracts after Cheveldayoff left, I have no problem with Tallon. He rebuilt the Hawks and didnt trade core long term prospect assests like Keith and Seabrook.

The Bolland signing while gross was nothing more than a cap floor deal. Tallon keeps the Panthers in contention for more top draft picks while he does his rebuild there. Id be surprised if Florida wasnt a contender in 3+ years.

ChiGuySez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2014, 05:29 PM
Bubba88
Toews = Savior

poorly written but true.

Still think Tallon gets too much credit for the 1st cup. I think bringing in Hossa was a big changer

Bubba88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2014, 06:51 PM
x Tame Impala

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiGuySez View Post
Outside of caphell and tendering contracts after Cheveldayoff left, I have no problem with Tallon. He rebuilt the Hawks and didnt trade core long term prospect assests like Keith and Seabrook.

The Bolland signing while gross was nothing more than a cap floor deal. Tallon keeps the Panthers in contention for more top draft picks while he does his rebuild there. Id be surprised if Florida wasnt a contender in 3+ years.
Cap hell was a pretty big thing though. Not something that should be easily written off

Last edited by x Tame Impala: 07-07-2014 at 07:02 PM.
x Tame Impala is online now   Reply With Quote