HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The History of Hockey
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

The History of Hockey Relive great moments in hockey history and discuss how the game has changed over time.

Pull-the-Goalie Incidents

Old
07-07-2014, 05:40 AM
The Panther

vCash: 500
Pull-the-Goalie Incidents

The 'shootout/goalie' thread got me thinking about pulling the goalie (please, no jokes).

What strange/weird/bizarre things have happened with a goalie on the bench for the extra attacker?

One that I remember well was a Brett Hull/St. Louis Blues game from maybe the early 1990s. (Don't remember who they were playing.) As I recall it, their opponent was up by 1 late in the third, and the Blues pulled their goalie. The opponent, however, scored into the empty net and went up by two with less than a minute to go. Game over, right? Nope.

Remarkably, the Blues then scored twice in the final 30 or 40 seconds and -- I believe -- won it in OT.

Please share your interesting 'pull-the-goalie' stories...

The Panther is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2014, 06:47 AM
gudzilla

i dont know if it qualifies, but i remember stars(?) pulling their goaltender in an even game few years ago to avoid the tie which would have pushed them out of the playoff spot

went on to OT and was heartbreaking

gudzilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2014, 08:36 AM
kmad
Riot Survivor

Some time between 2000 and 2003, the LA Kings needed two points in the last game of the season to make the playoffs, so they pulled their goalie in overtime.

The other team scored. And the ruling is that if you pull the goalie in OT, and lose, you sacrifice the loser point.

As far as I know, that's the only time that has ever happened.

kmad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2014, 10:03 AM
Martin Riggs
You wanna see crazy?

The whole Patrick Stefan thing against the Oilers takes the cake for me.

Martin Riggs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2014, 01:15 PM
Sprague Cleghorn
User Registered

vCash: 350
Al Iafrate and his ENG are for homos comment.

Sprague Cleghorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2014, 02:15 PM
bigbuffalo313

In 2012 the Rangers were down by one against Chicago and Torts pulled the goalie. Chicago scored an en goal and then the Rangers scored and the en goal was the game winner. The sesame thing happened against Florida in 2013

bigbuffalo313 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2014, 03:46 PM
double5son10

What would a pull-the-goalie thread be without a mention of that ineffable friend of the goalie, Iron Mike Keenan. Keenan was notorious for treating his goalies like yoyos.
1987 Patrick Division Semis against the Rangers may be Keenan's most infamous moment--pulled Hextall after he gave up 3 goals half way through the first, replacing him w/ Chico Resch. Put Hextall back in at the end of the 2nd when the Rangers went on a four minute PP. Didn't matter, Rangers scored twice. Resch started the 3rd, but Keenan decides to put Hextall back in for another Rangers PP, which worked that time, then pulled him again in the final 90 seconds, down by two. Rangers scored into the EN. In all Hextall was pulled 3 times, and Resch, who actually didn't give up a goal in 24 minutes of ice time, was pulled twice.

Pretty good article here on Keenan and his goalies: http://brodeurisafraud.blogspot.com/...tle-about.html

double5son10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2014, 04:22 PM
Big Phil

In 1970 the Canadiens needed a certain amount of goals against the Hawks. I believe a win wouldn't just do. They pulled their goalie (Vachon?) and lost the game 10-2. I believe the Hawks scored 5 or 6 empty net goals. It was some weird tie breaker that had to do with goals for I believe.

Big Phil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2014, 04:27 PM
Ret

Ron Wilson, fearing that Toskala may completely choke in the shootout as he had done before, decides to put Joseph in completely cold. This results in Anaheim scoring two incredibly easy goals to win the game.

Ret is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2014, 04:34 PM
skeena1

October 18, 2000 – Wild beat Tampa Bay 6-5 for first franchise win. Dan Cloutier replaces Kevin Weekes @ 18:14 of third period for Tampa, with Lightning trailing 5-4. Cloutier then gets pulled for the extra attacker, and Marion Gaborik scores his 4th NHL goal, 2nd of the period, into the empty net at 19:02. 6-4 Minnesota. Kevin Weekes goes back into net at 19:46. 2 seconds later Frederick Modin scores for the Bolts. 6-5 Wild final. Cloutier doesn’t face a shot, plays only :24 seconds (empty net time doesn’t count) and gets the loss, having given up the eventual game winning goal.

Cloutier’s previous game was a loss two days earlier to the Canucks. They outshot Tampa 41-16, used both Potvin and Essensa, but needed a shorthanded goal from Denis Pedersen with :25 left in the third to beat Cloutier.

skeena1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2014, 08:13 PM
DJ Man

7 Jan 1968, Boston at Chicago.

The Bruins, trailing 3-2, pulled goalie Gerry Cheevers in the final minute. Bobby Hull engineered a breakaway at the empty net. Cheevers poke-checked the puck away from Hull from the bench as he skated by. (Eddie Shack assisted with the assault, also from the Bruin bench.)

Hull recovered and scored easily to seal a 4-2 win, but ref Vern Buffey had already awarded the goal due to the interference.

Cheevers later admitted he was hoping that the ref wouldn't see the infraction, and as Hull was going to score anyway, he had nothing to lose. (I'm surprised he didn't get a fine or suspension.)

It was Hull's 401st career goal. He had scored #400 earlier that night in more conventional fashion.

DJ Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-08-2014, 08:32 AM
Buck Aki Berg
Done with this place

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Phil View Post
In 1970 the Canadiens needed a certain amount of goals against the Hawks. I believe a win wouldn't just do. They pulled their goalie (Vachon?) and lost the game 10-2. I believe the Hawks scored 5 or 6 empty net goals. It was some weird tie breaker that had to do with goals for I believe.
Goals for was the second tiebreaker, as they were tied for wins as well, which was the first tiebreaker. Here's the whole story, which I stole from Wikipedia.

Quote:
Entering their last games of the regular season, the badly slumping New York Rangers were two points behind the Montreal Canadiens for the final playoff spot. A New York victory and a Montreal loss would have left them tied in points, and the first tiebreaker - number of wins - was also tied. The second tiebreaker was goals scored, and the Canadiens had a five-goal advantage in the "goals for" category. This led to unusual tactics from both teams.

In their second-last game, the Detroit Red Wings had clinched a playoff spot, after having missed the postseason for the past three years. Many of their players were jubilant and were wildly celebrating this accomplishment, despite the fact that they were scheduled to face New York the next afternoon to finish the season. Several Detroit players still had hangovers from last night's party just hours before they took to the ice against the Rangers.[1] The desperate Rangers managed 65 shots on Detroit goalie Roger Crozier to amass a 9-3 lead early in the third period. Looking for even more goals, Coach Emile Francis repeatedly pulled goalie Ed Giacomin for the extra attacker though this failed to add to the Rangers' tally; in fact this let the Red Wings hit the empty net twice for a 9-5 final score. Nonetheless, however, New York was now equal on points with Montreal and had four more goals for the season.

That night, the Canadiens played against the notably stingy Chicago Black Hawks in what was both teams' final regular season game. Unlike the Red Wings, who had nothing else to accomplish in their final game, the Black Hawks were playing for first place in their division. With nearly nine minutes left in the third period and down 5-2 to the Hawks, the Canadiens knew scoring overcoming this 5-2 deficit in 9 minutes was highly unlikely, but they could still make the playoffs if they could score three more goals regardless of the game's outcome. So Coach Claude Ruel pulled his goaltender for the extra attacker. But the strategy backfired as Montreal failed to score while Chicago scored five times into the empty Montreal net, to win 10–2. This is believed to be the longest length of time any team had played without a goalie. The Canadiens, ending the season with two goals behind the Rangers, were out of the playoffs. Angry Habs fans have accused Detroit, having already secured a postseason berth and with nowhere to move in the standings, of purposely throwing the game to let the Rangers make the playoffs.

Buck Aki Berg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-08-2014, 09:37 AM
feffan

Roger Neilsons "leave the stick" is my all time favourite. The story as written on Wikipedia:

One game during a time-out, Neilson told his goaltender, “...when we pull you, just leave your goal stick lying in the crease.” When the other team gained possession, they sent the puck the length of the ice toward the open net, only to deflect wide when it hit the goal stick lying in the crease. The rule was changed the next season so that a goal would be awarded in such a situation.

feffan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-08-2014, 11:08 AM
bigbuffalo313

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buck Aki Berg View Post
Goals for was the second tiebreaker, as they were tied for wins as well, which was the first tiebreaker. Here's the whole story, which I stole from Wikipedia.
That is the most amazing thing ever

Old
07-08-2014, 11:25 AM
tarheelhockey
Global Moderator

vCash: 1020

Technically Dan Ellis wasn't pulled because he was still making his way off the ice... allowing Brodeur to become the first NHL goalie to record a goal against another goalie.

tarheelhockey is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-08-2014, 12:34 PM
Buck Aki Berg
Done with this place

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbuffalo313 View Post
That is the most amazing thing ever
It's a close second to the Barbados-Grenada qualification match at the 1994 Shell Caribbean Cup, but definitely the most amazing thing in hockey

Old
07-08-2014, 02:54 PM
bigbuffalo313

Quote:
It's a close second to the Barbados-Grenada qualification match at the 1994 Shell Caribbean Cup, but definitely the most amazing thing in hockey
I stand corrected

Old
07-08-2014, 04:00 PM
tony d
Kyle Turris

Definitely the Patrik Stefan incident.

07-08-2014, 05:08 PM
DJ Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Phil View Post
Goals against or net goals didn't enter into the tiebreaker, which was just "goals for." The Canadiens began the game with two possible ways to qualify for the playoffs: win or tie by any score, or just score five goals regardless of the outcome. Once the score reached 5-2 against, the two alternatives merged, as they'd need five goals even to tie. So, they really had nothing to lose by playing empty-net. Had they lost by, say, 16-5 they'd be celebrating! They changed the tiebreak order next season, so no team's been in that ridiculous a situation since.

DJ Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-08-2014, 05:29 PM
cujoflutie

Send a message via ICQ to cujoflutie Send a message via Yahoo to cujoflutie
Atlanta came and went but one footnote is that they were the last team to be forced to play without a goalie for necessity; they lost one goalie due to injury and the other due to injury with about 2 minutes remaining and decided to play it out without a goalie.

Another odd Mike Keenan moment came in 1998 with Vancouver; he pulled his goalie twice with a powerplay with more than 10 minutes remaining in the game; the first penalty was killed off so he put the goalie back in on the fly (the only time I've ever seen that)

And another Roger Neilson moment; when the NHL first brought in the loser point, they added that it is only awarded if the goalie is still on the ice. During the pre season, he pulled the goalie in OT and would put him back on when the play got close. The rule was changed such that a goalie can not return to the net on the fly if pulled in OT.

cujoflutie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-08-2014, 05:53 PM
feffan

Quote:
Originally Posted by leeaf83 View Post
And another Roger Neilson moment; when the NHL first brought in the loser point, they added that it is only awarded if the goalie is still on the ice. During the pre season, he pulled the goalie in OT and would put him back on when the play got close. The rule was changed such that a goalie can not return to the net on the fly if pulled in OT.
Missed that one. Nice! Neilson was a pure joy.

A third Neilson story around pulling the goalie is that he also used to do it if there was only a few seconds left of the first or second period and offensive draw. Getting an extra body out there to confuse the opponent or for a possible shot. With zero chance of the puck getting into the own goal from a draw from the other side in 2 seconds I actually tought many times of why these ain´t one thing that others picked up.

feffan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-09-2014, 12:40 AM
Sadekuuro

Quote:
It's a close second to the Barbados-Grenada qualification match at the 1994 Shell Caribbean Cup
That is awesome. And I don't even like football Is there any footage of the last three minutes of regulation anywhere?

Sadekuuro is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2014, 09:00 AM
SerbianEagle

Sometime between 1999-2002, Oilers played the Habs in Edmonton. Habs were leading when the Oilers pulled Tommy Salo. Janne Niinimaa had possesion of the puck and as he was skating towards the Habs blueline, he shot it into the corner, but...

the puck went around the boards, and the Oilers player missed it at the blueline as it was coming towards him and it went into the empty Oilers net. Game over

EDIT: Was on a delayed penalty, not at end of game, so really, even worse.

SerbianEagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2014, 09:39 AM
Buck Aki Berg
Done with this place

I was at a Hurricanes-Canadiens game in the 1998-99 season where Carolina was denied an empty-net goal because a player was in the crease.

Old
07-14-2014, 11:50 AM
NJDevils7

Quote:
Haha thats insane. Would love to see footage of that.

NJDevils7 is offline   Reply With Quote