HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Petry signs a one-year contract.

Old
07-07-2014, 11:37 AM
s7ark
Fast and Up - JP

vCash: 500
Well ****. Looks like Petry will be gone by the deadline. At least we have him for a bit longer.

s7ark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2014, 11:38 AM
SK13
V-Triggered

vCash: 50
I don't actually think Petry will play another game for the Oilers.

Establishing a low cap hit with no term may make it easier to move him to a team with cap concerns.

SK13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2014, 11:38 AM
McStanley

Petry unfortunately was put in a position to have to play as a top pairing D last year, but at this stage in his development he is only a top pairing D on a bottom 5 team.

If we can manage to have at least an average defense this year we can then determine if he is truly a top pairing or rather a second pairing D which would affect the value of his next contract.

McStanley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2014, 11:39 AM
Gord
Tesla

Quote:
Originally Posted by oil Leaks View Post
Man, I thought he signed long term like maybe 4 years
I don't think the Oilers would have wanted him for 4 years. I thought two would have been ideal.
glad he's here for this season , though. The Oilers really need him this year.

Gord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2014, 11:40 AM
Soundwave

I don't mind it.

Petry doesn't really do any one thing spectacularly well, he doesn't produce offence from that spot all that great nor does he move the puck extremely well. He occasionally will throw a big deal, but then he will disappear for a while.

I like the flexibility of having cap relief every year, it will now be very easy to re-sign Yakupov and Nurse will be ready to play next year, in the extreme case that he's not, Klefbom will be ready too.

Soundwave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2014, 11:41 AM
Gord
Tesla

Quote:
Originally Posted by glassbangers View Post
Now waiting for Schultz's extension. Hoping for 5+ years, under $4.5M per.
I know this is a petry thread, but your hope is very bad.

Schultz needs a bridge deal, not a sweetheart deal.

Gord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2014, 11:43 AM
Up the Irons

vCash: 408
Quote:
Originally Posted by oXo Cube View Post
This is pretty clearly what Petry wanted.

Dude wants out and who can blame him really?

Yep. Should have traded him. Now, he's a rental. Most they'll get is a 2nd round pick. Brutal play.

Up the Irons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2014, 11:45 AM
Moose Coleman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Up the Irons View Post
Yep. Should have traded him. Now, he's a rental. Most they'll get is a 2nd round pick. Brutal play.
Why would a team trade for a guy without the certainty of knowing how he fits into their pay structure?

Moose Coleman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
McCanovin
1% is the new 11.5%

Signing him to one year is pointless. Should have traded his RFA rights for Anisimov/Berglund and swing a deal for Boychuk. Both only has an extra year.

McCanovin is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
Beerfish

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMofOilers View Post
Im not a Petry fan but this deal tells me that the Oilers and me are on the same page.
Agreed, me as well.

Beerfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2014, 11:46 AM
Soundwave

If you can get a Berglund or Adam Larsson for him, then maybe dealing him was the right move, but its hard to say if you don't know what his trade value actually was. Like St. Louis is loaded on the back end, they don't need Petry.

Old
07-07-2014, 11:47 AM
AUAIOMRN

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roof Daddy View Post
I prefer the one year deal. He's still too much of a Jekyll and Hyde player. If his decision making becomes more disciplined, he's definitely got top pairing potential, but I think that's a pretty big IF. I'd rather not gamble with a long-term deal that would have cost north of 4 mil per.
Exactly this.

Petry is a middling second-pairing Dman who's been given top line ice time. Paying him like a top-liner just to "lock him up" is exactly what we shouldn't be doing.

AUAIOMRN is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2014, 11:47 AM
McManningite

Quote:
Originally Posted by SK13 View Post
I don't actually think Petry will play another game for the Oilers.

Establishing a low cap hit with no term may make it easier to move him to a team with cap concerns.
This is true, Mact and Petry might even be in on a trade together with Petry looking to explore his options in FA after.

Heard there is an announcement tomorrow.. I might just be reading into things but that's the name of the game around here.

McManningite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2014, 11:48 AM
McManningite

Quote:
Originally Posted by canovin View Post
Signing him to one year is pointless. Should have traded his RFA rights for Anisimov/Berglund and swing a deal for Boychuk. Both only has an extra year.
The low cap hit, no arbitration, one year contract... kinda fits the bill for a trade to a team looking to shore up their D and lower their cap.

McManningite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2014, 11:49 AM
OilDrop37

vCash: 17909
Quote:
Im not a Petry fan but this deal tells me that the Oilers and me are on the same page.
That doesn't worry you? Lol.

OilDrop37 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
Poundcake
Esquire

Quote:
Originally Posted by canovin View Post
umm....he probably has more value being under contract then not.

There are probably at least 10 teams that can afford to pay Petry at a 5 million extension.

The Oilers cannot if they decide to go with Schultz long-term and stick with their prospects.

Poundcake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
s7ark
Fast and Up - JP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soundwave View Post
I don't mind it.

Petry doesn't really do any one thing spectacularly well, he doesn't produce offence from that spot all that great nor does he move the puck extremely well. He occasionally will throw a big deal, but then he will disappear for a while.

I like the flexibility of having cap relief every year, it will now be very easy to re-sign Yakupov and Nurse will be ready to play next year, in the extreme case that he's not, Klefbom will be ready too.
Klefbom and Nurse both shoot left though.

Quote:
If you can get a Berglund or Adam Larsson for him, then maybe dealing him was the right move, but its hard to say if you don't know what his trade value actually was. Like St. Louis is loaded on the back end, they don't need Petry.
Larsson would be a dream, but I can't see any reason for NJ to trade a young, promising, RFA RD for an older, less promising, UFA RD.

Old
07-07-2014, 11:52 AM
McBooya42
Have a McDavid day!

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beerfish View Post
Agreed, me as well.

McBooya42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Mr Sakich

Quote:
Originally Posted by manningite View Post
The low cap hit, no arbitration, one year contract... kinda fits the bill for a trade to a team looking to shore up their D and lower their cap.
the oilers have cap space to spare. I wonder if Petry @ 50% retained for Boychuk is fair value. I am not sure who would have to add.

Mr Sakich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Soundwave

Quote:
Originally Posted by s7ark View Post
Klefbom and Nurse both shoot left though.

Larsson would be a dream, but I can't see any reason for NJ to trade a young, promising, RFA RD for an older, less promising, UFA RD.
Nikitin can play the right side apparently.

So our D is pretty much set even for next year even if Petry takes a walk. Our cap flexibility is also much nicer.

I don't mind this. I'd maybe think about going on term for Justin Schultz ... not sure about that. He is a pretty dynamic player, if he's willing to accept $4.25 for 5 years or something maybe you consider it.

Old
07-07-2014, 11:57 AM
Up the Irons

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moose Coleman View Post
Why would a team trade for a guy without the certainty of knowing how he fits into their pay structure?
True, I suppose. That still isn't established. Maybe he was determined to go to FA.

Quote:
Originally Posted by manningite View Post
This is true, Mact and Petry might even be in on a trade together with Petry looking to explore his options in FA after.

Heard there is an announcement tomorrow.. I might just be reading into things but that's the name of the game around here.
Hmmm. Well, maybe this could worked out. They have to get a established NHLer for him, or it's a total waste.

Old
07-07-2014, 11:57 AM
s7ark
Fast and Up - JP

Quote:
Nikitin can play the right side apparently.

So our D is pretty much set even for next year even if Petry takes a walk. Our cap flexibility is also much nicer.

I don't mind this. I'd maybe think about going on term for Justin Schultz ... not sure about that. He is a pretty dynamic player, if he's willing to accept $4.25 for 5 years or something maybe you consider it.
I am in favour of giving Schultz term. I think if he takes even a minor step forward on a 2 year deal he'll be looking at a big raise just from the cap going up.

As for Nikitin on the right side, I have never seen him play right. I only know that Bob Stauffer says that he can play right. I am not sure I but that until I see it.

Old
07-07-2014, 11:59 AM
Soundwave

Quote:
Originally Posted by s7ark View Post
I am in favour of giving Schultz term. I think if he takes even a minor step forward on a 2 year deal he'll be looking at a big raise just from the cap going up.

As for Nikitin on the right side, I have never seen him play right. I only know that Bob Stauffer says that he can play right. I am not sure I but that until I see it.
I'm pretty sure he can, I remember looking at Columbus' D like last year or the year before and they had like 5 left handed D-Men, so someone must've been playing on the right side.

To be honest it's not really impossible for the Oilers to say re-up Petry at $4.5 mill next year long term if they want either. This just gives us flexibility in a lot of ways, I don't think Petry will get 5+ on the open market unless he has a really great year, but even in that case you still have the first shot at resigning him.

Old
07-07-2014, 12:04 PM
Asher

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ovechking View Post
Great deal. He's gonna go into beast mode this year to earn a big contract next year. And we should pay him whatever he earns.
To borrow a curling term, the Oilers just gave Petry the hammer.

Asher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2014, 12:07 PM
Up the Irons

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoldNewLettuce View Post
umm....he probably has more value being under contract then not.

There are probably at least 10 teams that can afford to pay Petry at a 5 million extension.

The Oilers cannot if they decide to go with Schultz long-term and stick with their prospects.
It just seems so counter-productive to give up on the 26 yr old D in favour of the 22 yr olds. And is Schultz really that good?

I'll have to wait and see how this plays out.