HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Off season training players & prospects!!!

Old
08-19-2014, 03:05 PM
Senor Catface

vCash: 1937
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dorian2 View Post
He looks like he's gained some upper body strength. But his legs are those of a chicken. I think he needs to do squats or something. Pretty bad when a pro hockey player's legs are as skinny as mine are.

Maybe he should try caber tossing as an aside.
That doesn't matter as much as you think.

Look at this legs in that video. Unreal. But is Wayne Simmonds someone you would associate with that sort of body?

Senor Catface is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-19-2014, 03:17 PM
oilinblood

vCash: 553
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dabomb View Post
Andrew Ference should take Nuge under his wing for a few of his dead leg workouts up and down the River Valley stairs.
Ference is pretty skinny too, if people are evaluating that way. Chicken legs comes to mind.

oilinblood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-22-2014, 07:43 PM
Joey McMoss
5-14-6-1

vCash: 815
Marincin is up 5 lbs according to Chris Wescott.

Joey McMoss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-22-2014, 07:49 PM
Mctopchowda

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joey Moss View Post
I know alot of people say Marincin needs to put on 20 pounds, but that much weight too fast can severely slow a player down.

As long as his lower body is stronger and he becomes more assertive, he can comfortably play at his current weight and slowly put on 15

Mctopchowda is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-22-2014, 09:31 PM
Bryanbryoil

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joey Moss View Post
Every little bit helps. If he added it in muscle then that's a good thing.

08-22-2014, 09:40 PM
beaterson

Quote:
Originally Posted by Senor Catface View Post
That doesn't matter as much as you think.

Look at this legs in that video. Unreal. But is Wayne Simmonds someone you would associate with that sort of body?
I know legs don't get much wider with squats but HOW are they so thin?!

beaterson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-22-2014, 10:11 PM
McJadeddog

Quote:
Originally Posted by beaterson View Post
I know legs don't get much wider with squats but HOW are they so thin?!
there is a lot of thinking among the body building community (at least there used to be when i was heavy into it) about how some peoples legs can be essentially impossible to gain mass on.... even if they are able to make tremendous gains in leg strength, as well as being able to make mass gains in their upper body

i know this is anecdotal evidence, but i certainly witnessed this first hand with a lot of guys that i worked out with.... they had the typical body type that people associate with guys who only "work on their guns" and "skip leg day", they had a stacked upper body and little chicken legs... but they actually had *incredibly* strong legs because they were very aware of how out of proportion they looked, and therefore worked on their legs extremely hard... one of my main work out partners for years had this problem... he was almost as strong as i was in most leg exercises, but by looking at him you would have thought he only did squats once a month, lol

in my experience, legs are the most common body part on men that sometimes just don't gain mass, almost no matter what you do

McJadeddog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-23-2014, 11:06 AM
Aerchon

Marincins skating is superb. Second to only Taylor Hall on our team IMO. Very noticeable with how quickly and easily he would get himself back into position and to be honest it surprised me how obvious being a great skater is so important for a defenseman. I never really thought of any of our defenseman as poor skaters but there is a big difference between average and excellent in the NHL.

Maybe its a combination of skating, reach, and hockey/defensive IQ positioning but Marincin just rarely ever seems to be in a bad spot.

I would never associate Marincin with Niedermayer, way too lofty, but once Marincin starts adding his offensive game (what he is more known as a prospect) I think a few end to end to end rushes will be forth coming. Loved watching Scotty lead the rush from his own end, get a great scoring chance and still somehow be the first back to break up the play when the puck made it way back into his own zone again.

As much as I like Petry this is something like that is completely out of his skillset. Petry almost always gets caught after he pinches or leads a rush.

Edit: Marincin is still relatively young. If he keeps at it I think he will slowly but surely improve his size/weight/strength. To keep his skating so superb I don't imagine he would want to put on more than 5-10lbs a year. For his body type that's a respectable gain.

Aerchon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-25-2014, 05:51 AM
Kayen
Fire Eakins

vCash: 658
Didn't see it here, but watching the camp videos, it looks like Nurse attended the Biosteel camps (the Gary Roberts) one.

Kayen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-25-2014, 10:25 AM
Da McBomb

Quote:
Originally Posted by oilinblood View Post
Ference is pretty skinny too, if people are evaluating that way. Chicken legs comes to mind.
Sure if you consider these chicken legs

Sorry I don't know how to resize pic to make it smaller

Last edited by Da McBomb: 08-25-2014 at 10:32 AM.
Da McBomb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-25-2014, 10:37 AM
Da McBomb

I'm happy to hear Marincin has gained some weight. I'm not an expert on weight gain, but isn't 5 pounds over 5 months not that much especially when it was a main focus of his? Thats like gaining one pound per month. Can't you usually gain one pound per week or so if you really worked out and ate right?

Da McBomb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-25-2014, 11:06 AM
SupremeTeam16

Quote:
I'm happy to hear Marincin has gained some weight. I'm not an expert on weight gain, but isn't 5 pounds over 5 months not that much especially when it was a main focus of his? Thats like gaining one pound per month. Can't you usually gain one pound per week or so if you really worked out and ate right?
If you get too heavy too fast though it can affect your performance, most notably skating. He has to try and gain weight and strength without having it affect his game in a negative way.

SupremeTeam16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-25-2014, 11:07 AM
40oz

Quote:
I'm no expert either, but adding weight and adding muscle weight are two very different things. I don't think Marincin should be trying to 'bulk up' he should be trying to get stronger.

Justin Bourne had a good article called "How to filter this season's 'He's in the best shape of his life!' stories".

This is a pretty relevant quote from it:
Quote:
By the same token, some player’s aren’t meant to stack 15 pounds of muscle on their slighter frames at age 20. They can be more elusive at a more natural size for them. Not all body types are the same, not everyone is out there to do the same things.

40oz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-25-2014, 11:19 AM
bsmith14

5lbs can be a decent gain especially if he lost 1-2lbs of fat and gained 7 lbs of muscle

bsmith14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-26-2014, 12:04 PM
Shakey Rustie
3L

vCash: 50
Jet fan coming in peace, sorry if this isn't the right place to post, what is the word so far on RNH weight? Did he add anything of significance in the offseason? Thanks!

Shakey Rustie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-26-2014, 12:41 PM
dustrock
Too Legit To Quit

I don't think we've heard anything at all. Just people commenting on his ALS ice bucket vid.

dustrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-26-2014, 02:17 PM
ExOilerFan
5-14-6-1

vCash: 50
People put too much stock into weight. Refer to Datsyuk, Sakic, Gretzky, etc

ExOilerFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-26-2014, 02:41 PM
s7ark
McDavid!!!!!!!!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hall2Nuge2Ebs View Post
People put too much stock into weight. Refer to Datsyuk, Sakic, Gretzky, etc
So long as RNH has enough muscle and flexibility to avoid injuries, I don't really care how much he weighs. I want him to have the explosiveness and to be as elusive as he was as a rookie. Those skills are of much more use to him than 10 extra lbs.

s7ark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-26-2014, 03:22 PM
Neatman

Quote:
Originally Posted by s7ark View Post
So long as RNH has enough muscle and flexibility to avoid injuries, I don't really care how much he weighs. I want him to have the explosiveness and to be as elusive as he was as a rookie. Those skills are of much more use to him than 10 extra lbs.
Hopkins needs all that and an extra 10-15 lbs. He has great defensive instincts, but his inability to box out big centers means he will always be a detriment in the defensive zone in the West. Kid has to put on weight (and he will).

Neatman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-26-2014, 03:30 PM
oilz89

Quote:
Originally Posted by s7ark View Post
True. You don't want a RNH who gets as slow as gagner did. His quickness and agility get taken out of the picture

oilz89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-26-2014, 04:08 PM
s7ark
McDavid!!!!!!!!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neatman View Post
Hopkins needs all that and an extra 10-15 lbs. He has great defensive instincts, but his inability to box out big centers means he will always be a detriment in the defensive zone in the West. Kid has to put on weight (and he will).
So Datsyuk was an ineffective 2 way player in the west? He doesn't have the size or weight to box out big Cs either. He uses positioning and excellent stick work to accomplish his defensive responsibilities. RNH can do the same.

s7ark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-26-2014, 08:50 PM
OilBuoy

Matheson stated today that Martin Gernat is up to 207 pounds.

Bottom section of this article http://www.edmontonjournal.com/sport...400/story.html

OilBuoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-26-2014, 09:18 PM
Mctopchowda

Quote:
Originally Posted by OilBuoy View Post

Bottom section of this article http://www.edmontonjournal.com/sport...400/story.html
He must have put on alot of muscle. Judging from his instagram pics he was still super slender. Nurse was a reported 205 and looked 2x as big

Mctopchowda is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-26-2014, 09:18 PM
Oilking83

Quote:

Wasn't he like 190 last year? 17 pounds is impressive.

Oilking83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-26-2014, 10:25 PM
Bergeron47

vCash: 966
Quote:

Hard to believe the boy in his hockeydb picture would reach over 200 lbs

Bergeron47 is offline   Reply With Quote