HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

CHED secures radio rights for the next 6 years

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
07-08-2014, 10:19 PM
  #26
guymez
The Seldom Seen Kid
 
guymez's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Alberta
Country: Canada
Posts: 14,251
vCash: 50
I like this news for one reason only.

The CHED signal carries much further than TSN's signal because CHED transmits at a lower frequency. (630 khz as opposed to 1260 khz)

The TSN signal is junk about 100 kms out of the city.

For people like me who live a few hours away from Edmonton this is great news.

guymez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-08-2014, 10:54 PM
  #27
abootzky
Registered User
 
abootzky's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,150
vCash: 500
Michaels and Stauffer are Oilers (not CORUS) employees so they would most likely still be the radio broadcast team no matter who the rightsholder station is.

abootzky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-08-2014, 11:28 PM
  #28
Playa Hejda
Registered User
 
Playa Hejda's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: #yeg
Country: Cape Verde
Posts: 685
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by guymez View Post
I like this news for one reason only.

The CHED signal carries much further than TSN's signal because CHED transmits at a lower frequency. (630 khz as opposed to 1260 khz)

The TSN signal is junk about 100 kms out of the city.

For people like me who live a few hours away from Edmonton this is great news.
I'd say two reasons: there was no chance the Oilers would be putting their home games in ROGERS Center on TSN radio.

Playa Hejda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-08-2014, 11:34 PM
  #29
Oiluvit
Registered User
 
Oiluvit's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Edmonton, Alberta
Country: Canada
Posts: 61
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by abootzky View Post
Michaels and Stauffer are Oilers (not CORUS) employees so they would most likely still be the radio broadcast team no matter who the rightsholder station is.
I guess you are right and that we are probably stuck with these two.

Do Tier One customers ever get asked about how they feel about the broadcast team? I know I've never been asked. So I wonder if there is any room for constructive criticism -perhaps some room for coaching here?

Jack: I could use less manufactured sizzle applied to the call and more indication that you are emotionally invested in the fortunes of the team. The artificial voice-inflected excitement just isn't the same thing. Its not believable. And I know it must be tough to share a booth with Stauffer without it seeming like you have to prove that you know a lot of trivia too, but the blather of one-up-manship makes for bad radio.

Bob: It has never bothered me that you might or might not be a "Katz jock-sniffer" to quote a phrase in this thread. In fact, I like that you might have some inside info; it fuels the long months of hope. But, why must your commentary sound like we are being talked at rather than spoken to? It seems the subtext of every insight, the real message, is that besides being connected, you see yourself as smart and that you have a powerful memory for detail and like to show it off. I seldom care who was the room mate of whom at the U of A or Southside Athletic Club. I care less that you know. Its actually not about you Bob, I'd prefer to listen to a conversation between well-informed fans and less self pleasuring. And you are driving your broadcast mates into trying to compete for on-air brain power. My god the few minutes of the draft broadcast I had to listen to because I was driving was just about un-bearable.

As for CHED being the rights holder, I can see why the Oilers like CHED's signal reach. I am hopeful the game broadcasts can improve and the only other comment I have is that I seldom seem to hit Bob's daytime show for more than a few seconds before being interrupted by a string of commercials followed by Eileen Bell. It was annoying at first but it does provide a nice breather from Bob's know-it-all-fest. I usually end up on the other station before long.

Hope this helps boys because I really really want to love the broadcast the way I did Rod Philips'. Big shoes to fill and you have a long long ways to go but I think we are all rooting for you especially since it seems unlikely we can do anything about you.


Last edited by Oiluvit: 07-08-2014 at 11:42 PM. Reason: corrected some of my lousy typing
Oiluvit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-09-2014, 12:34 AM
  #30
FunkyChicken
Golden Ticket
 
FunkyChicken's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: A New Hope
Posts: 1,376
vCash: 400
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oiluvit View Post
Do Tier One customers ever get asked about how they feel about the broadcast team? I know I've never been asked.
If you have to ask the answer is no. Tier One customers are expected to be at the game, not listening to it.

FunkyChicken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-09-2014, 12:45 AM
  #31
Hockey Fan #751
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Posts: 1,548
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oiluvit View Post
I guess you are right and that we are probably stuck with these two.

Do Tier One customers ever get asked about how they feel about the broadcast team? I know I've never been asked. So I wonder if there is any room for constructive criticism -perhaps some room for coaching here?

Jack: I could use less manufactured sizzle applied to the call and more indication that you are emotionally invested in the fortunes of the team. The artificial voice-inflected excitement just isn't the same thing. Its not believable. And I know it must be tough to share a booth with Stauffer without it seeming like you have to prove that you know a lot of trivia too, but the blather of one-up-manship makes for bad radio.
I think that the "manufactured sizzle" term is unfair to Jack. I think he has to manufacture it due to the team's circumstance. Has he called a single meaningful game in his four seasons doing Oilers play-by-play? I think if the team ever made the playoffs, he would shine.

Hockey Fan #751 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-09-2014, 12:46 AM
  #32
Playa Hejda
Registered User
 
Playa Hejda's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: #yeg
Country: Cape Verde
Posts: 685
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by FunkyChicken View Post
If you have to ask the answer is no. Tier One customers are expected to be at the game, not listening to it.
A good number of oldsters like to listen to their radios during the game. Maybe it's a good way for the Oilers to reach out to their tier 1's with money AND time on their hands.

Playa Hejda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-09-2014, 01:44 AM
  #33
abootzky
Registered User
 
abootzky's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,150
vCash: 500
Jack Michaels' biggest issue as a radio game-caller is that he's actually a television broadcaster. This became evident last season the night Sportsnet's Kevin Quinn came down with a sudden illness and Jack moved over to the TV booth. With the cameras providing visuals to fill in the numerous trivia-filled gaps, JM seemed to be doing a fine job. I say have him take Quinn's job permanently and slide Corey Graham over from the Oil Kings to team with his old pal Stauffer.

abootzky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-09-2014, 09:10 AM
  #34
Farmboy
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Posts: 69
vCash: 500
Big announcement today! I heard that Tim Hortons will be advertising on the rink boards in the 2014-2015 Oilers season. Patrick LaForge will hold a press conference at 2:00 p.m.

Farmboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-09-2014, 09:15 AM
  #35
Jimmi McJenkins
Sometimes Miracles
 
Jimmi McJenkins's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Alberta
Country: Canada
Posts: 41,043
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Farmboy View Post
Big announcement today! I heard that Tim Hortons will be advertising on the rink boards in the 2014-2015 Oilers season. Patrick LaForge will hold a press conference at 2:00 p.m.
Haha ahaha, peoples are so clevers.

Jimmi McJenkins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-09-2014, 02:14 PM
  #36
Oiluvit
Registered User
 
Oiluvit's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Edmonton, Alberta
Country: Canada
Posts: 61
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by abootzky View Post
Jack Michaels' biggest issue as a radio game-caller is that he's actually a television broadcaster. This became evident last season the night Sportsnet's Kevin Quinn came down with a sudden illness and Jack moved over to the TV booth. With the cameras providing visuals to fill in the numerous trivia-filled gaps, JM seemed to be doing a fine job. I say have him take Quinn's job permanently and slide Corey Graham over from the Oil Kings to team with his old pal Stauffer.
Jeez, you know, you might be right! I remember that game and thinking at the time, I like Jack's presentation a lot more in this venue.

Further as I recall, Bob did radio play by play and I found I liked him more in that role too. Probably less time to thrill us with his knowledge. I forget who did colour but whoever it was it was a pretty good combination.

Oiluvit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-09-2014, 02:54 PM
  #37
I am the Liquor
Nelson got screwed
 
I am the Liquor's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Sunnyvale
Country: Canada
Posts: 35,483
vCash: 1271
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hockey Fan #751 View Post
I think that the "manufactured sizzle" term is unfair to Jack. I think he has to manufacture it due to the team's circumstance. Has he called a single meaningful game in his four seasons doing Oilers play-by-play? I think if the team ever made the playoffs, he would shine.
He tells stories instead of calling the play while the game is on.

That's crap. I dont tune in to listen to his stupid stories. I want to know what is happening in the game. Period.

I am the Liquor is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-09-2014, 04:33 PM
  #38
Oiluvit
Registered User
 
Oiluvit's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Edmonton, Alberta
Country: Canada
Posts: 61
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by I am the Liquor View Post
He tells stories instead of calling the play while the game is on.

That's crap. I dont tune in to listen to his stupid stories. I want to know what is happening in the game. Period.
And if you listen closely Liquor, the point of the story is usually nothing more than to demonstrate he knows lots of things in detail too, just like Bob. If he doesn't get the story in while the play is running, he won't get the chance.

Do you ever find yourself in front of the radio waving your arms hoping to get their attention so they remember we are out trying to hear a hockey game? I do that.

Oiluvit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-09-2014, 04:37 PM
  #39
Da McBomb
Registered User
 
Da McBomb's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Posts: 3,202
vCash: 500
Too bad Rod Phillips had to get old and retire. He was absolutely awesome to listen to in his prime.

Da McBomb is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-09-2014, 06:28 PM
  #40
TheBusDriver
Private Eyes
 
TheBusDriver's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Edmonton
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,179
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by I am the Liquor View Post
He tells stories instead of calling the play while the game is on.

That's crap. I dont tune in to listen to his stupid stories. I want to know what is happening in the game. Period.
Id say the vast majority of PBP guys, TV and Radio, Hockey and other sports, do tell some short stories during lulls in the game.

TheBusDriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-09-2014, 08:27 PM
  #41
rboomercat90
Registered User
 
rboomercat90's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Edmonton
Posts: 2,857
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBusDriver View Post
Id say the vast majority of PBP guys, TV and Radio, Hockey and other sports, do tell some short stories during lulls in the game.
The problem is Jack Michaels tells his stories while the game is going on leaving the listener clueless as to what's actually happening.

rboomercat90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-14-2014, 10:26 PM
  #42
oilers'72
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Red Deer, Alta
Country: Canada
Posts: 58
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by guymez View Post
I like this news for one reason only.

The CHED signal carries much further than TSN's signal because CHED transmits at a lower frequency. (630 khz as opposed to 1260 khz)

The TSN signal is junk about 100 kms out of the city.

For people like me who live a few hours away from Edmonton this is great news.
It's more the broadcast pattern than the frequency. I know what you mean by CFRN's signal being junk even as close as Red Deer. Some nights there's nothing on 1260 except for some country station in Idaho (or some other state as I've never caught the call letters). But I can hear the Spokane Chiefs games a fair number of nights on 1530 and KGA Sacramento makes it up here on 1510, sometimes as loud and clear as a local station.

Unfortunately, I can't find the night time pattern anywhere.

oilers'72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-14-2014, 11:59 PM
  #43
guymez
The Seldom Seen Kid
 
guymez's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Alberta
Country: Canada
Posts: 14,251
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Playa Hejda View Post
I'd say two reasons: there was no chance the Oilers would be putting their home games in ROGERS Center on TSN radio.

I wouldn't be surprised if SportsNet was to announce a radio channel for Edmonton a year or so prior to the expiration of this current deal with CHED.

Acquisition of the radio rights to follow soon after.

guymez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-15-2014, 12:18 AM
  #44
guymez
The Seldom Seen Kid
 
guymez's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Alberta
Country: Canada
Posts: 14,251
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by oilers'72 View Post
It's more the broadcast pattern than the frequency. I know what you mean by CFRN's signal being junk even as close as Red Deer. Some nights there's nothing on 1260 except for some country station in Idaho (or some other state as I've never caught the call letters). But I can hear the Spokane Chiefs games a fair number of nights on 1530 and KGA Sacramento makes it up here on 1510, sometimes as loud and clear as a local station.

Unfortunately, I can't find the night time pattern anywhere.
Here is a an older post from another thread which might be of interest.

It might help explain your experience picking up the Chiefs games at night...

Quote:
Originally Posted by guymez View Post
Your Kelowna experience is because of atmospheric changes in the ionosphere that happen at night allowing signals to travel much farther.
Many stations in Canada (including CHED) are mandated by the CRTC to cut their signal strength just before nightfall due to this phenomena. Thats why (if you are far enough away from the transmitting tower) you can be listening to a hockey game in your car and at around sunset the signal becomes weaker and the game may sound much more fuzzy.

In any event I believe 50 kW is still the max broadcast power for any AM station in Canada.
Also (IIRC from my Telecommunications studies) the lower the frequency...the longer the radio wave. So the lower the station is on the AM band the longer the signal will carry.

So if both 630 CHED and 1260 are running 50kW (max) transmissions (which I believe they are) then CHED's range will always be far superior to that of the TEAM1260.

Back before the mid 90's the Oiler games were carried by CFRN1260 and I could never hope to hear the broadcast in my car in Southern Alberta. I was elated when 630CHED got the broadcast rights because that allowed me to hear Oiler info pretty much anywhere in Southern Alberta. The broadcast range for CHED is just so much more superior.

If 1260 does become TSN radio and they do get the broadcast rights for Oiler games it will be a sad day for many rural (and Southern Alberta) Oiler fans as 90% of the provincial coverage will be gone (Streaming audio aside) unless they employ satellite stations around the province which is pretty unlikely.

guymez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-17-2014, 04:03 PM
  #45
Hockey Fan #751
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Posts: 1,548
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by guymez View Post
I wouldn't be surprised if SportsNet was to announce a radio channel for Edmonton a year or so prior to the expiration of this current deal with CHED.

Acquisition of the radio rights to follow soon after.
They might have to. TSN will make a huge push for the rights in 2020 (TV and radio expires same year) and in order to compete Rogers might need to include radio in their pitch.

Hockey Fan #751 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-18-2014, 09:01 PM
  #46
OilerPensfan94
Connor McGretzky
 
OilerPensfan94's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Location: Saint John
Country: Canada
Posts: 6,889
vCash: 50
Don't care too much, because I watch them all on TV, so I don't need the radio. Just as long as Jack Michaels doesn't come full-time to Sportsnet.

OilerPensfan94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-19-2014, 12:24 AM
  #47
guymez
The Seldom Seen Kid
 
guymez's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Alberta
Country: Canada
Posts: 14,251
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hockey Fan #751 View Post
They might have to. TSN will make a huge push for the rights in 2020 (TV and radio expires same year) and in order to compete Rogers might need to include radio in their pitch.
NHL TV rights don't expire on til 2026.

guymez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-19-2014, 02:01 AM
  #48
Trizent
Registered User
 
Trizent's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Oil Country
Posts: 1,759
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by guymez View Post
NHL TV rights don't expire on til 2026.
I think he means Oilers TV and radio rights are both up 2020.

Trizent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-19-2014, 10:37 AM
  #49
joestevens29
Registered User
 
joestevens29's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 27,136
vCash: 2642
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trizent View Post
I think he means Oilers TV and radio rights are both up 2020.
I have a feeling TSN will end up with the rights to all Canadian teams local broadcast contracts. They really aren't going to have much of choice, but to go hard for them all.

joestevens29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-20-2014, 10:20 PM
  #50
Hockey Fan #751
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Posts: 1,548
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by joestevens29 View Post
I have a feeling TSN will end up with the rights to all Canadian teams local broadcast contracts. They really aren't going to have much of choice, but to go hard for them all.
I agree. They paid $34 million for Ottawa's rights which is much more than the Oilers, Jets or Flames make.

Hockey Fan #751 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:14 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2015, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2015 All Rights Reserved.