HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

James Reimer

Old
07-08-2014, 05:58 PM
Dick Ripietro

vCash: 500
James Reimer

I have a couple of thought provoking questions regarding James Reimer.

1. Where do you think he will be after the march trade deadline/wheres the best fit?
2. What would be a fair deal in return?
3. How big of a cap hit does he deserve on his new contract?

Chances are he will be traded before march but at the latest the deadline.

Last edited by mouser: 07-09-2014 at 01:43 PM. Reason: thread tag
Dick Ripietro is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-08-2014, 06:17 PM
Peter Sidorkiewicz
Kovalchuk Army

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dick Ripietro View Post

1. Where do you think he will be after the march trade deadline/wheres the best fit?

Dick, my thoughts are this:

1. Winnipeg is the best fit;
2. 3rd round pick;
3. $2m per season.

Peter Sidorkiewicz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-08-2014, 06:21 PM
Jot
P.Kane = Kessel

Well if the trend continues he's easily worth 3m. Want a return of 2nd + meh prospect(3rd-7th round).

What trend i speak of? Good season, bad season, good season, bad season, ???? season....

Jot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-08-2014, 06:44 PM
Pitt the Elder

vCash: 109
1. It SHOULD be Toronto, but this management team is stupid, so probably somewhere like Winnipeg or someone looking for goaltending.

2. The return price lately for goalies hasn't been very good so probably a mid-round pick, or packaged with someone else for a roster player.

3. Same as Bernier's contract, hoping he doesn't get concussed this season he should be back above .915 save%.

Pitt the Elder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-08-2014, 06:58 PM
HandsomeArcanine
Go Ducks, Quack.

Worth 1.5million/year contract and if traded a 6th rounder a best. What 26 year old goalie can't use his trapper to catch a puck if his and his family's lives depended on it? James Reimer.

HandsomeArcanine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-08-2014, 07:31 PM
Pitt the Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by HandsomeArcanine View Post
Worth 1.5million/year contract and if traded a 6th rounder a best. What 26 year old goalie can't use his trapper to catch a puck if his and his family's lives depended on it? James Reimer.
So he's worth less than his current contract?

Not even getting into the bs you spewed after those first 4 words.

Old
07-08-2014, 09:47 PM
HandsomeArcanine
Go Ducks, Quack.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pitt the Elder View Post
So he's worth less than his current contract?

Not even getting into the bs you spewed after those first 4 words.
Yeah, Toronto sure is a good team to measure the value of players by the contracts their players have. Phaneuf, Clarkson...

HandsomeArcanine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-08-2014, 11:02 PM
Melnyks Mirage
We are what we are.

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by HandsomeArcanine View Post
Yeah, Toronto sure is a good team to measure the value of players by the contracts their players have. Phaneuf, Clarkson...
Phaneuf would have got 6.0 or 6.5 on the market and Clarkson allegedly took less than he would have been offered elsewhere.

Just saying. TO (and all teams) give bad contracts though. For TO I'd say the Muskoka V NTC were far more harmful to the Leafs future than 3/71s.

Melnyks Mirage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-08-2014, 11:38 PM
SensNation613

Quote:
Originally Posted by Melnyks Mirage View Post
Phaneuf would have got 6.0 or 6.5 on the market and Clarkson allegedly took less than he would have been offered elsewhere.

Just saying. TO (and all teams) give bad contracts though. For TO I'd say the Muskoka V NTC were far more harmful to the Leafs future than 3/71s.
Phaneuf would have gotten more if you ask me.
Anyway, Reimer is a legit goaltender, I see him as a Steve Mason. A low risk, high reward investment that I believe will work out for whoever puts him in a starting role. Toronto disrespected him so much by trading for Bernier, they also stopped giving him a chance to regain the starter position after 15-20 games. I think they might get a 3rd + decent prospect, it could be a 2nd round pick if the team acquiring him can get a contract done for under 2.5M. I'd be happy if Ottawa acquired him for a 3rd+ and then we shipped out Anderson to a team like San Jose or somewhere else. We could run a Lehner-Reimer combo for about 2 years, then we'd let him go so he could sign as a starter somewhere else (I believe Lehner will be a top goalie during the 16-17 season).

SensNation613 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-09-2014, 03:27 AM
johnny_rudeboy

Gustavsson was traded to Winnipeg for a conditional 7th round pick. Imo Gustavsson is the better goalie but I reckon we could probably get a 3rd or 4th round pick for Reimer if we traded him to Winnipeg. And yes, Winnipeg is the most likely destination.

johnny_rudeboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-09-2014, 04:16 AM
leeaf83

Send a message via ICQ to leeaf83 Send a message via Yahoo to leeaf83
I think a lot of people are making over simplifications on things here;

just because he's a Manitoba boy does not mean he'll end up in Winnipeg.
It's not automatic to assume his good-bad-good-bad trend will continue. It seems obvious he is a malcontent and goalies wanting out rarely have great seasons. I'd say it's more likely that his play suffers forcing the leafs to take what they can get.

leeaf83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-09-2014, 07:05 AM
giddy up

Quote:
Originally Posted by leeaf83 View Post
I think a lot of people are making over simplifications on things here;

just because he's a Manitoba boy does not mean he'll end up in Winnipeg.
It's not automatic to assume his good-bad-good-bad trend will continue. It seems obvious he is a malcontent and goalies wanting out rarely have great seasons. I'd say it's more likely that his play suffers forcing the leafs to take what they can get.
I think it's more because Winnipeg desperately needs an NHL goalie.

giddy up is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-09-2014, 08:49 AM
Pitt the Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnny_rudeboy View Post
Gustavsson was traded to Winnipeg for a conditional 7th round pick. Imo Gustavsson is the better goalie but I reckon we could probably get a 3rd or 4th round pick for Reimer if we traded him to Winnipeg. And yes, Winnipeg is the most likely destination.
People still think Gustavsson is a legitimate NHL goalie, let alone better than Reimer?

Oy vey, he's quickly becoming one of the most underrated goalies in the league.

Old
07-09-2014, 10:28 AM
Jonimaus

Quote:
People still think Gustavsson is a legitimate NHL goalie, let alone better than Reimer?

Oy vey, he's quickly becoming one of the most underrated goalies in the league.
He's a legit backup. His save% wasn't very impressive last season, but he brought in a ton of wins.

Reimer isn't a legit starting goalie either. He'd be one of the absolute bottom starting goalies if he was to have a starting role.

Which of Gustavsson or Reimer I'd pick as my backup would 100% depend on which one is going to be cheaper.

Jonimaus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-09-2014, 12:31 PM
Pitt the Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonimaus View Post
He's a legit backup. His save% wasn't very impressive last season, but he brought in a ton of wins.

Reimer isn't a legit starting goalie either. He'd be one of the absolute bottom starting goalies if he was to have a starting role.

Which of Gustavsson or Reimer I'd pick as my backup would 100% depend on which one is going to be cheaper.
That's absolutely ridiculous.

Old
07-09-2014, 12:34 PM
Jonimaus

Quote:
That's absolutely ridiculous.
Which part? That Gustavsson did alright with 16-5-4 or that Reimer is a starter goalie in your book?

Old
07-09-2014, 12:39 PM
FreeBird
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dick Ripietro View Post

All depends on his play up until then. Right now with his play in the final month who would trust him as a starter. Right now a 4th rd pick at best.

FreeBird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-09-2014, 01:08 PM
eklunds source
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Which part? That Gustavsson did alright with 16-5-4 or that Reimer is a starter goalie in your book?
If I start working in the mail room of a Fortune 500 company, and their stock goes up 10% in my first month, does that mean I'm exceptional at doing mail-things?

Whether a goalie gets a win or a loss involves 2 factors: how many goals he allows, and how many goals his team scores. Goalies cannot impact their team scoring goals. You can allow 8 goals on 10 shots and still get a win, or allow 0 goals on 56 shots and still get a loss. Identical twin goalies with 100% equal skill in stopping pucks, on different teams, will have (potentially massively) different win/loss records.

Gustavsson is not an NHL calibre goaltender. His 5-yr save percentage is 68th of 69 goalies to play in 50 games. Every goaltender with a comparable save percentage is no longer in the NHL. The 10 goalies ahead of him are Ellis, Conklin, Khabibulin, Garon, Deslauriers, Chris Mason, Biron, Roloson, Peters, and McElhinney.

Also, Reimer isn't a star goalie or anything, but he's good enough to be an average starter.

eklunds source is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-09-2014, 01:14 PM
Jonimaus

Quote:
Originally Posted by eklunds source View Post
Also, Reimer isn't a star goalie or anything, but he's good enough to be an average starter.
Feel free to create a list of starting goalies Reimer is equal to or better.

Old
07-09-2014, 02:21 PM
TOGuy14

Winnipeg is by and far the best fit for Reimer.

Not only do they have likely the worst full time starting goalie in the entire league right now, but Reimer is a Manitoba boy who would likely sign a little bit cheaper to get a guaranteed shot to start a full season.

The recurring mantra from Jets fans though is that they refuse to acquire any other goalie while they have 3 more years @ 3.9 AAV tied up into a sieve

TOGuy14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-09-2014, 02:26 PM
Liferleafer
RIP Mrs Doubtfire

Quote:
1. It SHOULD be Toronto, but this management team is stupid, so probably somewhere like Winnipeg or someone looking for goaltending.

2. The return price lately for goalies hasn't been very good so probably a mid-round pick, or packaged with someone else for a roster player.

3. Same as Bernier's contract, hoping he doesn't get concussed this season he should be back above .915 save%.
Not sure why you say this. Bernier is the better goalie....hands down, Reimer wants to start and has asked to be traded.....how is this managements fault? Maybe Reimer could have helped himself late last season by....i don't know....maybe winning a couple of games instead of sucking donkey ballzz.

Liferleafer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-09-2014, 02:34 PM
mapes

Quote:
The fact you use wins to judge who did better is laughable

mapes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-09-2014, 02:50 PM
SherVaughn30

Why would Reimer be destined to Winnipeg? Their future goalie is Hutchinson and no one is going to take Pavelec. Reimer should just go into arbitration and take whatever 1 year contract is awarded to him. He should just work hard and challenge Bernier as best as he can, while being a good teammate. That in itself will bring his trade value up. As of right now, there is no trade market for goalies unless you want to get almost nothing in return. Injuries due happen in preseason and regular season, so Reimer will just have to be patient.

SherVaughn30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-09-2014, 03:22 PM
Jonimaus

Quote:
Originally Posted by mapes View Post
The fact you use wins to judge who did better is laughable
Did I? Where did I say Gustavsson > Reimer? I stated Gustavsson is a backup (my point about wins was that Detroit should be pretty alright with his work last year), and so is Reimer (whos play last year for a goalie who's competing for a starter position was very lackluster).

The fact that you try to put words in others mouths is the laughable part.

Would I take Reimer as my backup over Gustavsson if Reimer was a mil more expensive than Gustavsson? No, no I would not. Do I think Gustavsson is better? No, I do not. But no team in the league will/should want to have Reimer as their starter. A club or two might however be willing to settle for him, as he won't be very expensive.

Last edited by Jonimaus: 07-09-2014 at 03:30 PM.
Old
07-10-2014, 03:03 PM
mapes

Quote:
Did I? Where did I say Gustavsson > Reimer? I stated Gustavsson is a backup (my point about wins was that Detroit should be pretty alright with his work last year), and so is Reimer (whos play last year for a goalie who's competing for a starter position was very lackluster).

The fact that you try to put words in others mouths is the laughable part.

Would I take Reimer as my backup over Gustavsson if Reimer was a mil more expensive than Gustavsson? No, no I would not. Do I think Gustavsson is better? No, I do not. But no team in the league will/should want to have Reimer as their starter. A club or two might however be willing to settle for him, as he won't be very expensive.
But Reimer has proven he can be a starter. Gustavsson hasn't. Goalies are streaky in general year to year. Look at Varlamov. What about Price? Happens to almost all goalies..

Last edited by mapes: 07-10-2014 at 06:47 PM.
mapes is offline   Reply With Quote