HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Vancouver Canucks
Notices

Zac Dalpe and Jeremy Welsh

Closed Thread

Old
07-10-2014, 06:10 AM
biturbo19

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by vanuck View Post
Yeah, he wasn't really given much of a shot at all. Would have liked to see him alongside Kesler for a bit as he could also make plays from the wing, skate and had a decent shot himself. I think he's more suited to wing in the NHL though if he makes it. Hoping Utica snaps him up actually.
Dalpe had a chance to play with the Sedins though. So...I mean it was really brief because it didn't go well, but if that's not an opportunity, i don't know what is.

Last edited by biturbo19: 07-10-2014 at 07:07 AM.
Old
07-10-2014, 07:01 AM
crobro

Welsh and or dalpe will be playing for medcescak within a few years

Old
07-10-2014, 09:08 AM
F A N

I think Dalpe is an AHLer and Welsh has potential. Dalpe is the classic tweener. Not good enough to play in the top 6 and too weak and not physical enough to play bottom 6. Dalpe didn't get a lot of minutes but there was a stretch where he was consistently in the lineup and I just saw no progress. He pretty much just played a safe game and the only time you notice him was when he manage to carry the puck a bit in the offensive zone. Welsh didn't get as many opportunities but in the games I saw him play I thought he was noticeable. The biggest difference of course is that Welsh has the size to play a physical role on the 4th line and the skill and skating to become a regular. Plus he's better on faceoffs. I believe if he does get a chance Welsh can carve out a 3-6 year career in the NHL but that's a big if.

But between the two, Dalpe is the obvious candidate to give a two-way contract as he's going to be a decent AHL scorer and now has some NHL games under his belt.

Old
07-10-2014, 10:45 AM
Zarpan

Dalpe might be able to get a handful of goals if you put him with Gagner. Has a decent enough shot. Not sure how well it would work overall though, as a Gagner-Dalpe line is going to get overpowered a lot.

Old
07-10-2014, 11:45 AM
Wisp

Dumb for Gillis to spend a pick on them. Volume drafting, damn it!

Old
07-10-2014, 12:26 PM
vanuck
Griffiths Way Goons

vCash: 250
Quote:
Originally Posted by biturbo19 View Post
Dalpe had a chance to play with the Sedins though. So...I mean it was really brief because it didn't go well, but if that's not an opportunity, i don't know what is.
You could say it was a bit of a opportunity, though it can't have been for more than a handful of games. Which is really what I was trying to get at. IIRC the vast majority of the time he was used on the 4th line when he wasn't scratched.

Old
07-10-2014, 03:12 PM
Reign Nateo

Quote:
Originally Posted by vanuck View Post
You could say it was a bit of a opportunity, though it can't have been for more than a handful of games. Which is really what I was trying to get at. IIRC the vast majority of the time he was used on the 4th line when he wasn't scratched.
He was given very little opportunity from the start. If he played it was usually 5 minutes on the 4th line. Didn't make a lot of sense. He probably has the skill level to be a decent NHL winger, was a waste of time to play him that little as a 4th line centre...

Old
07-10-2014, 03:35 PM
MS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reign Nateo View Post
He was given very little opportunity from the start. If he played it was usually 5 minutes on the 4th line. Didn't make a lot of sense. He probably has the skill level to be a decent NHL winger, was a waste of time to play him that little as a 4th line centre...
Yeah, it would have been one thing if we actually had decent wingers.

But when you're getting the worst production out of your wingers of any team in the NHL (save Buffalo) and playing rubbish like Sestito in top-9 forward roles, to basically never give Dalpe a chance was ridiculous when he's one of the only options on the roster that actually has a good shot and likes to shoot the puck.

His production/performance during the few occasions he was actually taken off the 4th line was actually quite decent. But to only get 5 games all season where you play more than 12 minutes in a game (3-1-4 in those games for the record) is just ridiculous when we give up a decent pick to get the guy.

Old
07-10-2014, 06:36 PM
Spectrefire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wisp View Post
Dumb for Gillis to spend a pick on them. Volume drafting, damn it!
Hardly. A 4th round pick for just Dalpe's a good deal. Not Gillis' fault that Torts did nothing with him.

Old
07-10-2014, 06:39 PM
Free Torts

vCash: 883
Send a message via MSN to Free Torts
Yep. Dalpe probably could have been reasonably productive had Torts bothered to use him properly, which he didn't. Another guy who wasted a season here under an incompetent head coach. Welsh is AHL fodder.

Old
07-10-2014, 07:01 PM
vanuck
Griffiths Way Goons

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reign Nateo View Post
Yeah, it was one of the areas where there seemed to be this disconnect between Torts and Gillis. People called for him to be given a bigger chance all year and it basically never happened.

And I never even realized he had 4 points in the 5 games he played more than a handful of minutes. Huh.

Old
07-10-2014, 07:40 PM
IPreferPi
A Nonny Mouse

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zarpan View Post
Dalpe might be able to get a handful of goals if you put him with Gagner. Has a decent enough shot. Not sure how well it would work overall though, as a Gagner-Dalpe line is going to get overpowered a lot.
Right now we are penciling in Doan as one of Gagner's wingers. Doan - Gagner - Dalpe might be able to work.

Old
07-10-2014, 08:01 PM
me2
Seahawks 43

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by MS View Post
Yeah, it would have been one thing if we actually had decent wingers.

But when you're getting the worst production out of your wingers of any team in the NHL (save Buffalo) and playing rubbish like Sestito in top-9 forward roles, to basically never give Dalpe a chance was ridiculous when he's one of the only options on the roster that actually has a good shot and likes to shoot the puck.

His production/performance during the few occasions he was actually taken off the 4th line was actually quite decent. But to only get 5 games all season where you play more than 12 minutes in a game (3-1-4 in those games for the record) is just ridiculous when we give up a decent pick to get the guy.
ES goals per 20 mins (excluded sub - 10 min partners)

*KESLER 1.838 (11 min)
SEDIN 1.172
KASSIAN 1.168
SEDIN 0.7
SCHROEDER 0.686
HIGGINS 0.583
ARCHIBALD 0.51
SESTITO 0.326
WEISE 0.211
BOOTH 0
WELSH 0
HANSEN 0
*LAIN 0 (20 min)

One issue is the lack of ice time (only a 11 mins with Kesler, rest are usually around 30-50 minutes. Sestitio 183m and Weise 95m were is main partners.

Old
07-10-2014, 09:54 PM
monster_bertuzzi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spectrefire View Post
Hardly. A 4th round pick for just Dalpe's a good deal. Not Gillis' fault that Torts did nothing with him.
Hahaha Torts gave Dalpe plenty of opportunity. He just sucks and is an AHLer.

Old
07-10-2014, 11:02 PM
Free Torts

vCash: 883
Send a message via MSN to Free Torts
Quote:
Originally Posted by monster_bertuzzi View Post
Is there another definition for the word 'opportunity' that I'm not aware of?

Old
07-10-2014, 11:20 PM
David71

dalpe had a small stint on the line with the twins. did fairly okay.

Old
07-10-2014, 11:24 PM
me2
Seahawks 43

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Free Torts View Post
Is there another definition for the word 'opportunity' that I'm not aware of?
183 mins with Top Sixtito. How do you not consider that opportunity?

Old
07-11-2014, 12:01 AM
VanillaCoke

I think dalpe is a more than capable NHL player, he's got all the tools if he can put em together.

Also think he got wasted here by torts.

Old
07-11-2014, 12:05 AM
Canuckee

Dalpe is worth a shot.

Old
07-11-2014, 12:18 AM
CanucksRollin
Tweet@CanucksOnARoll

vCash: 462
I thought Welsh didn't look too bad I would give him a look at.

Old
07-11-2014, 01:39 AM
bossram

Quote:
He played 5 minutes a night on the 4th line with Sestito every night. That's not much opportunity.

I think he has some NHL utility. Welsh in the same boat. But were used incorrectly.

Old
07-11-2014, 01:40 AM
MS

Quote:
5 games of top-9 icetime (vs. 77 games stuck on the 4th line or in the pressbox) is 'plenty of opportunity'?

Old
07-11-2014, 06:36 PM
Nuclear Salo
Launch Detected

The key to being successful in the NHL isn't about skill - it's about how catchy your name is...

Henrik Sedin, Daniel Sedin, Ryan Kesler, Henrik Zetterberg, Henrik Lundqvist, Phill Kessel, Sidney Crosby, Alex Ovechkin etc etc.

They're all good because they have cool sounding names.

Jeremy Welsh and Zac Dalpe... Not so much..

That's why Vertanen and the Russian Bear will work out well for us, and names like Ekblad, Ehlers and Reinhart will become stars. McCann is a maybe.

Old
07-11-2014, 07:23 PM
TheWanderer

Quote:
Are you kidding me? When we first got these guys, Welsh was the better of the two. Dalpe got sent back to the AHL for being so horrible, and Welsh filled out the bottom 6 until we got healthy. Welsh then stunk it up in the A, and Dalpe made it back up and played quite a bit on various lines when he got back.

He had maybe one remarkable game, and was fairly mediocre for the rest.

He is a fringe NHLer at best.

Old
07-11-2014, 07:40 PM
vanuck
Griffiths Way Goons

Quote:
Yeah, this. At least try to see what you have in the guy. You hope for the type of AHL production Dalpe put up from your 4th rounders. Torts wasted him.
Quote:
Looks like someone wasn't paying very much attention this season.

Closed Thread