HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Vancouver Canucks
Notices

Evander Kane

Closed Thread

Old
07-11-2014, 04:59 PM
Gormo
Holupchi

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by VanillaCoke View Post
Anybody that doesn't want Kane at all because of his 'attitude' is clearly insane.
Its ridiculous, I agree.

Anaheim seemed happy enough to get Kesler after all, and you could argue hes one of the most emo players in the entire league, in spite of his work ethic.

I get the impression Im missing something here, for me a questionable attitude does not explain why posters are this reluctant to acquire such a valuable player.

Old
07-11-2014, 04:59 PM
TheWanderer

Yeah, our 1st is off limits. I also don't really want Virtanen/Horvat/Shinkaruk to go.

Old
07-11-2014, 05:01 PM
vadim sharifijanov

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gormo View Post

I get the impression Im missing something here, for me a questionable attitude does not explain why posters are this reluctant to acquire such a valuable player.
you and i both know you're not really missing it.

Old
07-11-2014, 05:02 PM
Horvat2Virtanen
HFBoards Sponsor

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheWanderer View Post
Yeah, our 1st is off limits. I also don't really want Virtanen/Horvat/Shinkaruk to go.
I'd move Shinkaruk for Kane without batting an eye, I see Kane like potential in Virtanen so I'd probably take the proven commodity in Evander. Wouldn't move Horvat though, and looking at the dynamics of the Winnipeg roster Horvat would be piece they covet the most.

07-11-2014, 05:03 PM
TheWanderer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Horvat2Virtanen View Post
I'd move Shinkaruk for Kane without batting an eye, I see Kane like potential in Virtanen so I'd probably take the proven commodity in Evander. Wouldn't move Horvat though, and looking at the dynamics of the Winnipeg roster Horvat would be piece they covet the most.
I would be reluctant at a trade involving Shinkaruk, but I'd probably be okay with it in the end.

Old
07-11-2014, 05:05 PM
Gormo
Holupchi

Quote:
Originally Posted by vadim sharifijanov View Post
you and i both know you're not really missing it.
Ive been trying to find out this entire thread what I already know?

In that case Id appreciate a reminder of what it is

Last edited by Gormo: 07-11-2014 at 09:40 PM.
Old
07-11-2014, 06:38 PM
CanucksSayEh

Lots of the best hockey players in the world are tools. So what?

Old
07-12-2014, 12:45 AM
mossey3535

Kind of laughable the way this is treated in the media.

Look, maybe Kane is a total idiot who we shouldn't touch with a ten foot pole. Maybe he's not worth the assets to acquire.

But when I see him getting blasted on TV for dancing around whether he wants out of Winnipeg, I think it's ridiculous. If only Kesler had kept his mouth shut or at least spread innuendo instead of outright asking for a trade, we might have gotten more for him.

Old
07-12-2014, 02:15 AM
GPNuck

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheWanderer View Post
I tend to agree.. Alot of people seem fairly willing to let go of Gaunce of Jensen and I would if it meant Evander Kane but I really liked what i saw from Jensen last year and Gaunce is going to turn into a Solid NHL'er in my opinion. The future is bright

Old
07-12-2014, 06:42 AM
F A N

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shareefruck View Post
I would not give up significant assets to try to fill holes that we have now on the current roster-- it's not going anywhere. I would give up assets to fill potential holes in our youth, and Kane's style of play is similar to Virtanen's, while virtually every other significant prospect we have is a shooter type. It's overkill, IMO, and considering we have limited assets, if we're moving them, I would want them to be moved for something our prospect pool is lacking, like a bluechip offensive center prospect with well rounded playmaking skills. It sounds like we would have to take a huge dent out of this team to get Kane, so I don't think it makes any sense considering he's not a perfect fit with the way this team is being built.
Acquiring Kane is not about filling holes that we have now on the roster. He is not yet 23. Kane will help this team right now and be an asset for the future. Would you trade Kassian for Nick Ritchie? Benning won't because Kassian is ready to contribute now. One way to look at it is that Virtanen is years away from being the player Kane is right now and he might not get there. Another way to look at it is that by the time Virtanen becomes the type of player Kane is, the team can think about moving Kane to address another problems. Calling it overkill is ridiculous. Having a 22 year old Joe Sakic, 19 year old Mats Sundin, and 18 year old Eric Lindros is called a nice problem to have... not overkill. It's not like players like Kane grow on trees.

On what basis are you saying that he's not a perfect fit with the way this team is being built? Evander Kane's style of play and skillset obviously fits into what Benning is looking for. Furthermore, every trade Benning has made suggests that while he wants the team to get younger he's not interested in just the future. If you ask Benning what was the most important part of the Kesler trade he'll tell you it's Bonino and not the draft pick that he used to acquire a potential Kesler or Bonino replacement.

You keep mentioning shooters. You talk as if our entire prospect pool is made up of one-dimensional shooters and that being a shooter is a bad thing That's not true. You got to shoot in order to score goals. Don't confuse natural goal scorers or guys with good shots as shooter types. Horvat is a complete player, Cassels is more of a playmaker than a scorer, McCann is learning to pass more, and one look at Shinkaruk's assists totals should tell you that he's more than just a shooter. A lot of times players shoot rather than pass the puck depending on how they feel about their teammates and the role they played. Virtanen probably won't be much of a playmaker because he projects as a goal scorer, but guys like Gaunce, McCann, and Horvat can pass the puck and are not known to shoot when the better option is to pass.

Old
07-12-2014, 09:50 AM
F A N

Quote:
Originally Posted by mossey3535 View Post
But when I see him getting blasted on TV for dancing around whether he wants out of Winnipeg, I think it's ridiculous. If only Kesler had kept his mouth shut or at least spread innuendo instead of outright asking for a trade, we might have gotten more for him.
How do you know Kane didn't ask for a trade? Cheveldayoff never denied the rumor that Kane had asked for a trade. Kesler himself denied asking for a trade when in fact he had privately told Gillis (and later Benning) to trade him.

Old
07-12-2014, 06:05 PM
mossey3535

Quote:
Originally Posted by F A N View Post
How do you know Kane didn't ask for a trade? Cheveldayoff never denied the rumor that Kane had asked for a trade. Kesler himself denied asking for a trade when in fact he had privately told Gillis (and later Benning) to trade him.
But in our case it became public knowledge that he demanded a trade. I'm just saying that in this case Chevaeldayoff and Kane are both doing the smart thing by keeping it to themselves whether he did or did not ask for a trade, and yet Kane is getting blasted for 'not being all in' or whatever that means.

When in reality it would have ended up better for us if our management AND Kesler's camp had kept things quiet.

Old
07-12-2014, 06:33 PM
Horvat2Virtanen
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
But in our case it became public knowledge that he demanded a trade. I'm just saying that in this case Chevaeldayoff and Kane are both doing the smart thing by keeping it to themselves whether he did or did not ask for a trade, and yet Kane is getting blasted for 'not being all in' or whatever that means.

When in reality it would have ended up better for us if our management AND Kesler's camp had kept things quiet.
Great point.

Old
07-12-2014, 08:53 PM
btdvox

Quote:
Originally Posted by Horvat2Virtanen View Post
Great point.
It is a great point, but one that is at a loss. Rumors fly like bats now that there's a twitter-verse.

Old
07-13-2014, 12:55 AM
F A N

Quote:

Define public knowledge? For years Kane was asked whether he wanted out. He constantly skirted around the question and never denied anything which only led to more speculation. His agent denied Kane made a trade request. Chevaeldayoff always refused to answer the question. His answers usually went something along the lines of Kane is a Jet so that's how they are going to proceed and that the question is unfair and he's going to be pretty busy if he has to answer every trade speculation.

In contrast, when it was first reported Kesler wanted out, he outright denied that he wanted out and said he loved Vancouver. Kesler's agent denied that Kesler had made a trade request. Gillis refused to answer saying any discussion between the management and the player is internal (which to Gillis' credit is consistent with his MO).

Both "trade requests" have been "public knowledge" in the sense they have been widely believed to have occurred and widely reported. It was only when Kesler got traded did either side admit to the fact that Kesler had wanted out. Even in days up to the draft Linden and Benning were saying they are still working with Kesler, with Linden more specifically hinting that trading Kesler was not the only option. Point is that I do not know why so many Canucks fans are attacking Kesler. He apparently lied about his trade request in order to make it a nonissue. Kane on the other hand left a lot of room to interpretation. Seriously. This is the difference between the two:

Question: Do you want to leave?

Kane: Right now I am a Winnipeg Jet. We will see what happens but I will carry on as if I am a Winnipeg Jet.

Kesler: No. I am happy. I love my teammates, love the city. My son was born here, grew up here. I am a Canuck and I am happy to be here.

Explain to me how Evander Kane is a better Winnipeg Jet than Kesler was as a Vancouver Canuck.

Old
07-13-2014, 01:00 AM
Verviticus

vCash: 695
Quote:
Originally Posted by monster_bertuzzi View Post
Wouldn't dare taking the bolded over him if starting franchise.
you wouldnt take pk subban over evander kane? O_O

Old
07-13-2014, 01:00 AM
LiquidSnake
Agent of Chaos...

vCash: 883
The team didn't take a vote and remove the A from Kane's jersey like the Canucks did with Kesler

Old
07-13-2014, 01:07 AM
Verviticus

vCash: 695
Quote:
Originally Posted by VanillaCoke View Post
Anybody that doesn't want Kane at all because of his 'attitude' is clearly insane.
i dont want him because i think we'll overpay

Old
07-13-2014, 01:54 AM
Wisp

Quote:
Originally Posted by Verviticus View Post
i dont want him because i think we'll overpay
basically.

Old
07-13-2014, 02:05 AM
VanillaCoke

Overpaying by a pick would be okay by me. If were gonna overpay for 4th liners and AHL players then we might as well for an actual legit player.

Old
07-13-2014, 05:29 AM
F A N

Quote:
Originally Posted by LiquidSnake View Post
The team didn't take a vote and remove the A from Kane's jersey like the Canucks did with Kesler
That's because that was impossible to do. Kane doesn't have an A on his jersey, at least not in the front of his jersey.

Old
07-13-2014, 10:17 AM
Jyrki21
Trade request DENIED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shareefruck View Post
With how little thought we seem to put into the 6th/7th rounds, I wouldn't blame it on bad luck
Come now, we all thought Morgan Clark was going to star between the pipes. How do you not get tantalized by his 3.70 GAA, his 10-30-3 record, or .884 SV% from his draft year? I still can't believe that guy hasn't made the All-Star Game yet!

Old
07-13-2014, 12:53 PM
Huntershin Karuk
Horvat is Horfat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jyrki21 View Post
Come now, we all thought Morgan Clark was going to star between the pipes. How do you not get tantalized by his 3.70 GAA, his 10-30-3 record, or .884 SV% from his draft year? I still can't believe that guy hasn't made the All-Star Game yet!

Old
07-13-2014, 01:00 PM
Cogburn

I'd love Kane on this team. Off ice attitudes can be adjusted, and we have some of the best off ice staff in the world here (a good sports psychologist could do wonders). What I am not going to be happy with is the amount it would cost to get Kane into Vancouver.

We're not talking about someone who is likely to hit waivers or be a cap casualty here. First round picks, top prospects, and decent replacements. I'd argue something around Horvat/Virtanen, Higgins, and a first, and likely another piece to fill a need for Winnipeg (Sbisa? Hansen? Markstrom?)

Old
07-13-2014, 01:03 PM
ddawg1950

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gormo View Post
Its ridiculous, I agree.

Anaheim seemed happy enough to get Kesler after all, and you could argue hes one of the most emo players in the entire league, in spite of his work ethic.

If I may suggest...what you may be be missing then from other posters, is that a player's character, on and off the ice, is important to many posters.

You can have a very talented player that helps the team on the ice, but if his character is questionable, then you have the law of diminishing returns kicking in. Eventually, that lack of character can become a distraction to the team...the so called locker room cancer.

So while you are correct that Kane may be a wonderfully talented player, it is a legitimate question for an organization (in this case, the Canucks) to ponder whether it is worth it to bring in a a player of questionable character.

Having said that, I don't mean to state with absolute certainty that Kane is a questionable character. But there is a more than a bit of smoke here to suggest he COULD be a problem, and thus some posters shy away.

Closed Thread