HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Vancouver Canucks
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Evander Kane

Closed Thread

Old
07-09-2014, 12:47 AM
Dead Cat Bounce

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheWanderer View Post
I kind of think Kane is just bitter because he lives in Winnipeg.

...anyone thought of that?
Who wouldn't be?

Old
07-09-2014, 12:51 AM
TheWanderer

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dead Cat Bounce View Post
Who wouldn't be?
amirite?

Trade for Kane, who then becomes happy for living HERE!

#winning

Old
07-09-2014, 12:51 AM
Shane

He's still very young. Sometimes a trade is what a kid like him needs to get his head screwed on right. I think we should be interested depending on the price. Lack seems like a given because they need a goalie (and we have too many) and Markstrom at the moment isn't an upgrade on anyone they have. Hansen would have to be part of it to even out salaries. A pick and a prospect maybe to even out value? our first next year has to be off limits, as well as Horvat, Virtanen and McCann (gave up too much for the Bo, and the other two are too new and new draftees almost never get traded). I'm too intrigued by Shinkaruk's skillset. Would rather give up Gaunce, but it'd probably have to be Jensen.

Desjardins is good with kids, and maybe being close to his family would help him straighten out. Or maybe coming back to the city where he was a rockstar would just worsen his situation. Hmmm.

Old
07-09-2014, 12:56 AM
TheWanderer

Lack + Jensen + Hansen + 2015 2nd for Kane
I would be open to adding Sbisa if it meant lowering our 2nd, or us getting something else back in addition. Sbisa doesn't fit on our roster. Stanton is better and cheaper and neither are right side D.

Sedin - Sedin - Vrbata
Kane - Vey - Kassian
Higgins - Bonino - Burrows
Matthias - Richardson - Dorsett

bam.

Old
07-09-2014, 01:14 AM
Wilch
Unregistered User

Evander Kane is criminally overrated here.

He shouldn't be our target right now anyway.

Not the right building block to build on, assuming we'll be trading potential core players away to acquire him.

If he can be had without touching our top young players (Tanev, Kassian and Lack), top prospects (Horvat, Shinkaruk, and Virtanen), and our 2015/16 first, then I'd consider it.

Old
07-09-2014, 01:15 AM
Bankerguy

2015 - 1st, Gaunce, Vey, Hansen

Two firsts, a second and a good 3rd liner. Thats a decent return..esp considering vans pick will be top 10 in a very good draft.

Old
07-09-2014, 01:17 AM
VanillaCoke

Quote:

Id bet that's most of the issue, the kid just doesn't want to play there. Too bad for Winnipeg but it happens

Old
07-09-2014, 01:21 AM
Stories Tales Lies
and Exaggerations

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeftCoast View Post
I wouldn't trade Shinkaruk for him. Maybe Jensen + Lack/Markstrom + pick, but no more. He has all the warning signs of being a coach killer.
This may be flamed... But am I the only one that would trade Shinkaruk before Jensen??

Jensen has size (not al that physical but it counts over Shinkaruk), is closer to being NHL ready IMO, (also a year removed from his surgery) has showed a 2 game and the ability to work hard at what he lacks to get better, at the pro level...

Shinkaruk has a higher ceiling and will bring a more exciting style of play if he gets close to it... But I just don't see why he has more value when looking forward

Old
07-09-2014, 01:36 AM
Jimson Hogarth

vCash: 123
I would trade
Bonino+Lack+2015 2nd round pick

for

E Kane

Old
07-09-2014, 01:47 AM
fancouver

Top 6 prospect
Starting goalie or top pairing D prospect
1st round draft choice

would be what I would ask for from any team wanting a guy who scored 30 as a 22 year old.

How many 30 goal scorers do the Canucks have right now? How about in the last 3 years?
Only 1, Daniel Sedin.

So I think you're going to have to give up at least 1 of Horvat, 1st round in 2015 or Virtanen. One of those has to be gone. And for most Canuck fans, it seems like that's a non-starter, so there's probably no deal.

Old
07-09-2014, 02:21 AM
EpochLink
Canucks and Jets fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by VanillaCoke View Post
Id bet that's most of the issue, the kid just doesn't want to play there. Too bad for Winnipeg but it happens
Growing up with the old Jets, yep that happens.
Tons of players wanted out of the Peg, unless they pay them to stay.

I remember Tie Domi wanting out of Peg cause his lifestyle wasn't for the city, I'm sure Domi didn't trash the city itself but he wanted out.

Winnipeg had the same problem with Edmonton, cold harsh winters and a city life that might not be suitable for a young hockey player.

Old
07-09-2014, 02:43 AM
Chubros

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dead Cat Bounce View Post
Mark Messier was an immature jerk early in his career too.

So once a jerk always a jerk is the way it goes?

That seems like an argument against acquiring Kane if he is in fact a jerk, does it not?

Old
07-09-2014, 02:55 AM
JuniorNelson

Kane goes to a big US market, I predict. If he is moved at all, its to a contending team in California.

There is just no reason for him to choose Vancouver. Canucks are still a weak team. Kane won't be getting a good center compared to the California teams.

Old
07-09-2014, 03:18 AM
TheWanderer

Quote:
Originally Posted by JuniorNelson View Post
Kane goes to a big US market, I predict. If he is moved at all, its to a contending team in California.

There is just no reason for him to choose Vancouver. Canucks are still a weak team. Kane won't be getting a good center compared to the California teams.
He doesn't have an NTC. He goes for the best offer.

Old
07-09-2014, 05:47 AM
DJOpus

Not that high on Kane.

Burrows + Hansen + Lack + McCann/Jensen.

Old
07-09-2014, 06:30 AM
bossram

I'd offer Hamhuis + Hansen and maybe another piece. Jets have a need at LHD.

The only way to acquire elite young talent is when they have "character" issues. Jim Nill knows this. You can fix the issues. But you can't find young talent as easily.

Benning seems to place a lot of value on character though. Obviously didn't like Seguin. Can't see him trading for Kane. Long-term the Bruins are probably going to regret trading Seguin. You don't win when you trade away young, 1st line calibre players.

If the Canucks have an opportunity to jump on him at a price that isn't terrible, they should. But they won't.

Old
07-09-2014, 07:31 AM
F A N

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wilch View Post
Evander Kane is criminally overrated here.
I don't think he is. I think most see him as a 23 year old powerforward who can potentially be a 40 goal scorer but can score 30 goals playing with anybody. These guys don't become available often. Benning just missed out on a similar player who was 37 years old.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wilch View Post
He shouldn't be our target right now anyway.

Not the right building block to build on, assuming we'll be trading potential core players away to acquire him.

If he can be had without touching our top young players (Tanev, Kassian and Lack), top prospects (Horvat, Shinkaruk, and Virtanen), and our 2015/16 first, then I'd consider it.
Whether he is the right building block to build on is the biggest question mark given the character issues. But he is young and he is from here. Could just be a case of a young kid who got rich quickly who needs to become more grounded and mature. It's hard to say. But if Linden and Benning did their DD and believes there are no issues with Kane's character then this is a player you try to acquire as he is everything Benning wants in a player: he is young, physical, can score on any line, and improves the team now. I think the biggest obstacle to acquiring him right now is that the team can't acquire him without trading away a significant roster player given the lack of cap room. I would be thrilled if Benning pulled off a Kane for Edler deal. But if character isn't a concern and all it took was Virtanen and Lack you make the deal.

Let's not overrate our prospects. Kane's downside is 20 goals and 40 points. He should be a 30 goal 60 point guy while his upside is 40 goals. I would be very happy if Virtanen became a 30 goal 60 point guy. If the opportunity presents itself you take the sure thing.

But alas it's likely not something to worry about at all. We likely don't have what the Jets want to make this deal happen.

Old
07-09-2014, 08:23 AM
Steveorama

Quote:

If I had to spend my winters in Winnipeg...I would have an attitude, too...

Old
07-09-2014, 08:37 AM
BobbyJazzLegs
Sorry 4 Acting Werd

Bleh. If we were a LW away from winning the cup, sure.

We have Kane in Virtanen anyway, not to mention Hunter, Jensen and Kass to (hopefully) to mainstay our top 6 wings in the future. Maybe we'll see Fox/McCann too depending on the roster.

Even if we draft post #10 next year, we'll probably get a better player than Kane in the long run anyway.

Despite the talk, Chevy still wants max returns.

Old
07-09-2014, 08:42 AM
Rex Banner
Mr Logic

Kane seems like the exact opposite kind of player Benning wants. The kids has a bigger ego than Kesler and he doesn't strike me as someone that's liked in the locker room.

Some of the packages you guys are posting makes me think we're trying to get Patrick Kane instead.

Old
07-09-2014, 08:43 AM
Lundface*

Quote:
Originally Posted by bossram View Post

The only way to acquire elite young talent is when they have "character" issues. Jim Nill knows this. You can fix the issues. But you can't find young talent as easily.

Benning seems to place a lot of value on character though. Obviously didn't like Seguin. Can't see him trading for Kane. Long-term the Bruins are probably going to regret trading Seguin. You don't win when you trade away young, 1st line calibre players.

If the Canucks have an opportunity to jump on him at a price that isn't terrible, they should. But they won't.
Are you aware of how terrible the defence currently is even with Hamhuis there?

Without him

Edler Tanev
Sbisa Bieksa
Stanton Corrado

Benning has done an atrocious job on the defence. As is it's not good, with even one injury they are in deep trouble. All this bologne he has sold people on about adding depth...where is it?

Even upfront he talks a big game but made minimal difference. He added Vrbata, Bonino, lost Kesler, Santorelli. At the very best thats a wash... so all his solution to adding depth was getting Vey and Dorsett?

The depth is already there on this team..his job was to find guys to move them down. Full marks for getting Vrbata but outside of that he did dick all. It would have been extremely easy to get Santo here given what he took. Home town kid, played his heart out, was Van's 2nd best player (even annhilated Boston in front of Jim).

Depth was Higgins, Hansen, Horvat, Matthias, Burrows, Richardson. That's a very good bottom 6.

Top 6 they had Sedin Sedin Kassian Kesler. He needed to add two top 6 players to that and they would be sitting pretty with tons of cap space to them.

He added 1 in Vrbata, lost one in Kesler and then broke even with Bonino/Santorelli.

In conclusion (haha) the defence is razor thin, and any upgrade upfront which he failed to make will have to come at the expense of Lack or prospects/picks.

Old
07-09-2014, 08:46 AM
vadim sharifijanov
Rrbata

Quote:

or maybe it's exactly what he said on 1040 yesterday: that he's bitter because he lives in a city where the media and community have railed on him from day one for not being jarome.

Old
07-09-2014, 09:03 AM
Christina Woloski
Registered Something

Quote:
Originally Posted by bossram View Post

Noooope.

Why would you fill one hole just to create another. Canucks need to hold onto all their D after trading Garrison and having only one coming through the system.

Old
07-09-2014, 09:03 AM
deckercky

I'd offer Lack (better than Markstrom, but it's the one position of excess the Canucks have), Shinkaruk (top 6 LW longterm would be Virtanen/Kane once Daniel leaves), Hansen (Burrows won't waive, and need to move a winger for the numbers game, plus Hansen is a player who may want to be in Winnipeg) and a later pick (not 1st or 2nd). Boost the pick to a 2nd if they include Burmistrov too. May not be fair value, but it's decent value and fills a lot of holes for Winnipeg.

Sedin - Sedin - Vrbata
Kane - Bonino - Kassian
Higgins - Vey - Burrows
Matthias - Richardson - Dorsett

Not bad.

Old
07-09-2014, 09:16 AM
Wolfhard

Quote:
Originally Posted by GPNuck View Post
So its settled then? Jensen+Hansen+Lack +2015 2nd.. I'll call Jim and let him know
Please don't. He'll probably pull the trigger on that. But at the rate he's going, he'll throw in Horvat and a 1st.

Closed Thread