HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must use the RUMOR prefix in thread title. Proposals must contain the PROPOSAL prefix in the thread title.

Ryan O'Reilly to calgary

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old
07-09-2014, 02:06 PM
  #101
snipetype
Registered User
 
snipetype's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 6,119
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gabe the Babe View Post
That's your opinion. Competitive means cup worthy. That won't be in two years imo. Sorry.
umm your team went from last to nearly the second round in a year. :

our team was 3-13-2 when giordano did not play last year. which means we were 32-27-5 with him...
69 points in 64 games is a playoff pace. Who is to say we are for sure going to be a non-cup contender for three more years when clearly we are a competitive team with Mark Giordano in the lineup.

snipetype is offline  
Old
07-09-2014, 02:08 PM
  #102
bohlmeister
Moves Like Malkin
 
bohlmeister's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Country: Canada
Posts: 16,928
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by snipetype View Post
umm your team went from last to nearly the second round in a year. :

our team was 3-13-2 when giordano did not play last year. which means we were 32-27-5 with him...
69 points in 64 games is a playoff pace. Who is to say we are for sure going to be a non-cup contender for three more years when clearly we are a competitive team with Mark Giordano in the lineup.
But you lost Berra.


Hartley did a great job with them last year. Anyones guess as to where this team is in 2 years. I agree.

bohlmeister is offline  
Old
07-09-2014, 02:11 PM
  #103
Double Dion
Jets fan 30/06/2013
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Posts: 4,547
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by tucker3434 View Post
He's absolutely right when he says ROR has quite a bit more value than Brodie. And Brodie isn't a top pairing defenseman just because he plays there.
He played the 2nd toughest competition in the league and was top 10 in possession with tough zone starts. ROR might have more value, but Brodie is absolutely a top pairing defenseman. The only reason the Flames weren't worse than the Sabres was that they had the best top pairing in the league last year in Brodie and Giordano. Granted, it was the first year they were in that category, but if it's a sign of things to come we'd be wise to hold onto both those guys. Personally, I think Brodie looks that good partially because he's playing with Giordano, but he has something to do with it too.

Double Dion is offline  
Old
07-09-2014, 02:12 PM
  #104
UncleRisto
Registered Nurse
 
UncleRisto's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Country: Finland
Posts: 8,429
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by SmellOfVictory View Post
That was actually a huge problem in Calgary. Tanguay was used as a PPQB (god only knows why because he sure as hell wasn't a shooting threat from the blueline), and he was insanely predictable because he looked to pass to Iginla at any possible moment, regardless of who else might be open. And it wasn't a function of "no other options"; the Flames, in Tanguay's last go-round, did have other useful PP shooters.
Bummer.

UncleRisto is offline  
Old
07-09-2014, 02:13 PM
  #105
Ice Cream Man
$1 Oysters
 
Ice Cream Man's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Country: New Zealand
Posts: 5,065
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gabe the Babe View Post
What's up with Flames fans saying omg we need Gio? You don't need anyone that is 30 years old. You're not making a splash in the playoffs any time in the next 5 years. By the time you're ready to compete again Gio will be almost done.
Terrible, terrible logic. No understanding of the veteran / leadership role whatsoever.

Ice Cream Man is offline  
Old
07-09-2014, 02:13 PM
  #106
Double Dion
Jets fan 30/06/2013
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Posts: 4,547
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gabe the Babe View Post
That's your opinion. Competitive means cup worthy. That won't be in two years imo. Sorry.
Agreed. We won't be challenging for a cup for 4-5 years minimum. Maybe not ever. That doesn't mean we should trade guys like Giordano or Brodie though. We don't want to become the Oilers. The cup champs build from the net out. Defensemen, centermen and then wingers is positional value IMO.

Double Dion is offline  
Old
07-09-2014, 02:14 PM
  #107
Ashasx
Registered User
 
Ashasx's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 4,169
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by CoachBadkitten View Post
I'm sure they are interested, but I'm not sure they have pieces we need, unless they overpay. Like talking Gio+.
The + would be coming from Colorado to Calgary, not the other way around.

Ashasx is offline  
Old
07-09-2014, 02:18 PM
  #108
oilerbear
Registered User
 
oilerbear's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Posts: 2,826
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hall2Nuge2Ebs View Post
Coming from an Oilers fan, I've seen Giordano play a few times last season. The guy is a rock and I would consider him to be in the top 10 defensemen in the NHL. No way should the Flames trade him away
Phasees of career:
phase 1 6 years (draft to age 23) growing and core development
Phase 2 7 years (24 to 30)
Phase 3 5+ years 30 to career end usually start of decline in performance.

Last years top scorers And D on Flames And age this year.

Hudler (30yr) 75gm 17G 54P
Cammalleri (32)64gm 26G 47P -> replaced by Raymond (29) 82gm 19G 45P
Backlund (25) 76G 18G 39P
Monohan (20) 75gm 22G 34P
Stajan (30) 63gm 14G 33P
Colburne (24) 80gm 10G 28P -> RFA arbitration
Glencross (32) 38gm 12G 24P
Stempniak (31) 47gm 8G 23P -> replaced with ??????????
Byron (25) 47gm 7G 21P
D. Jones (30) 48gm 9G 17P
Galliardi (26) 62gm 4G 17P -> replaced by Bollig (27) 82gm 7G 14A
Bouma (24) 78gm 5G 15P

Giordano (31) 64gm 14G 47P
Brodie (24) 81gm 4G 31P
Russel (27) 68gm 7G 29P
Wideman (31) 46gm 4G 27P
Butler (28) 82gm 2G 16P -> Engelland (32) 56gm 6G 12P
Smid (28) 56gm 1G 6P
seems that the veterans in Bold will be moved out.
Giordano will be 33-35 when rebuild winds down.

Colorado more competitive could use Giordano and CGY getting Orielly (23) at end of phase1 and heading into prime of career. Makes sense for both!

By the way Calgary was just a really Bad veteran team last year.
The rebuild starts this year.
Letting the youth push the veterans out over the next 2-5 years.
Fiester left calgary in alot better situation than lowe did for edmonton.
cupboards were bare in 2008.


But Hey MacT added this in 13 months:
XXX-XXX-XXX
Perron-Arco-Purcell
Pouliot-Draisatl-XXX
Hendricks-Gordon-Jeonsuu
Gazdic-XXX

Ference-XXX
Nikitin-Fayne
Marincin-XXX
Aulie

Scrivens
Fasth

16/23 slots.

Insert Hall-RNH-Eberle; Yak; Petry; Schultz
in the X's

ROR woulkd be a nice add toa faster rebuild.


Last edited by oilerbear: 07-09-2014 at 02:32 PM.
oilerbear is offline  
Old
07-09-2014, 02:18 PM
  #109
Reinhart
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Country: Azores
Posts: 1,010
vCash: 500
I am guessing this is more speculation than a rumor. Molberg often speculates and often makes it sound a bit like a rumor. We will see if there is any truth to this in the upcoming days, but I wouldn't bet on it.

It doesn't make sense for the Flames to move high-end assets at this stage. ROR is definitely a very nice piece, but he would also be a very pricey one. Flames are better off holding onto their young pieces and trying to develop them. There is no need to rush - even with ROR on this team, they are not contenders (of course).

Reinhart is offline  
Old
07-09-2014, 02:18 PM
  #110
Joe Sakic
#1 ROR Fan
 
Joe Sakic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Colorado
Country: United States
Posts: 4,687
vCash: 500
Lol people are posting in this? Why? He's not going anywhere.

Let me get this straight...the Flames "have interest" in ROR?

Wow, ground breaking stuff here.

Joe Sakic is offline  
Old
07-09-2014, 02:19 PM
  #111
FoppaForsberg*
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Country: Canada
Posts: 4,301
vCash: 500
Flames fans have a strange dislike for Tanks. He wanted out from rebuilding team, so did Ryan Miller and countless others.

FoppaForsberg* is offline  
Old
07-09-2014, 02:22 PM
  #112
Foppa
Registered User
 
Foppa's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Kansas City, USA
Country: United States
Posts: 4,300
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by AvsFan20 View Post
Lol people are posting in this? Why? He's not going anywhere.

Let me get this straight...the Flames "have interest" in ROR?

Wow, ground breaking stuff here.
Agreed...we already knew the Flames liked ROR. Big deal.

Foppa is offline  
Old
07-09-2014, 02:23 PM
  #113
Double Dion
Jets fan 30/06/2013
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Posts: 4,547
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by LemmyClaude View Post
Flames fans have a strange dislike for Tanks. He wanted out from rebuilding team, so did Ryan Miller and countless others.
I don't think we hate him per se. He just represented the under-achievement of the team for half a decade. He was a skilled player, but frustrating because he wouldn't shoot and continually gave the puck away because everyone knew he was passing to Iggy. When he actually did shoot the puck he scored a lot because everyone was shocked. He shot over 20% in Calgary, that's a ridiculous shooting percentage. It's also why everyone wanted him to shoot more.

He was soft too obviously and only average in his own end. He also seemed to be mailing it in when we were no longer playoff contenders and that never sits well.

Double Dion is offline  
Old
07-09-2014, 02:25 PM
  #114
CB Joe
Registered User
 
CB Joe's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Country: Canada
Posts: 5,708
vCash: 544
Quote:
Originally Posted by Double Dion View Post
Meh, we lost the Tanguay/Sarich trade, but we won the Berra for a 2nd trade. Just not having him in net anymore is a win. I've never seen a goalie that big and athletic who can't stop a puck like him. He's always sliding into the corners of the zone. Incredibly frustrating player to watch. If Roy can fix his overreactions then he could be solid. But I doubt he can since they were trying to in Calgary for almost a year.
Allaire found and produced a lot of serviceable goaltenders over the years. I have faith he can make Berra into at least a solid backup. The Flames are ahead in that trade now, but I think the Flames would actually have to make something of their second round pick to consider it a win.

CB Joe is offline  
Old
07-09-2014, 02:27 PM
  #115
CoachBadkitten
Matt Hunwick
 
CoachBadkitten's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Colorado
Country: United States
Posts: 5,426
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Double Dion View Post
I don't think we hate him per se. He just represented the under-achievement of the team for half a decade. He was a skilled player, but frustrating because he wouldn't shoot and continually gave the puck away because everyone knew he was passing to Iggy. When he actually did shoot the puck he scored a lot because everyone was shocked. He shot over 20% in Calgary, that's a ridiculous shooting percentage. It's also why everyone wanted him to shoot more.

He was soft too obviously and only average in his own end. He also seemed to be mailing it in when we were no longer playoff contenders and that never sits well.
In his games with the Avs, you can definitely still see the hesitation to shoot. He is ALWAYS a pass first guy, which was a bit upsetting at times(especially since he played with another one in Stastny.) Defensively though, he is very solid which surprised me a lot. Guessing Roy worked with him a bit on that. Even got a bit of PK time if I remember correctly.

CoachBadkitten is offline  
Old
07-09-2014, 02:27 PM
  #116
Asinine
Yer opinion is wrong
 
Asinine's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Country: Canada
Posts: 307
vCash: 500
The Flames better have interest in young quality players.

That team is lacking hard in that department.

Asinine is offline  
Old
07-09-2014, 02:27 PM
  #117
InjuredChoker
Registered User
 
InjuredChoker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: LTIR or golf course
Posts: 29,573
vCash: 925
burke and treliving are just desperate to make new deal with avs, save face, considering how they got smoked and fleeced so bad in tanguay and berra trades.

InjuredChoker is offline  
Old
07-09-2014, 02:28 PM
  #118
The Kingslayer
Registered User
 
The Kingslayer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Siem Reap, Cambodia
Country: Cambodia
Posts: 33,003
vCash: 326
Quote:
Originally Posted by YEAHSO View Post
The Flames better have interest in young quality players.

That team is lacking hard in that department.
Old man O'reilly is not what they are looking for exactly.

The Kingslayer is offline  
Old
07-09-2014, 02:29 PM
  #119
ForeverFlameFan
Go Flames Go!
 
ForeverFlameFan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Location: Arizona
Country: Mexico
Posts: 10,973
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by YEAHSO View Post
The Flames better have interest in young quality players.

That team is lacking hard in that department.
I agree. But for ROR, it'd be the expense of Gio/Brodie. No thanks.

ForeverFlameFan is offline  
Old
07-09-2014, 02:29 PM
  #120
Double Dion
Jets fan 30/06/2013
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Posts: 4,547
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by InjuredChoker View Post
burke and treliving are just desperate to make new deal with avs, save face, considering how they got smoked and fleeced so bad in tanguay and berra trades.
Huh? No one gets fleeced in cap dump trades. It's your crap for my crap. Congrats, you got better crap.

If anyone was fleeced in the Berra trade it was the Avs,

Double Dion is offline  
Old
07-09-2014, 02:30 PM
  #121
Asinine
Yer opinion is wrong
 
Asinine's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Country: Canada
Posts: 307
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by ForeverFlameFan View Post
At least they played, better than getting a 3.5m player who barely played.
Jones played 31 more games and only had 6 more points. Playing for the sake of playing must be a real regularity in Calgary is it?

Asinine is offline  
Old
07-09-2014, 02:31 PM
  #122
Asinine
Yer opinion is wrong
 
Asinine's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Country: Canada
Posts: 307
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by ForeverFlameFan View Post
I agree. But for ROR, it'd be the expense of Gio/Brodie. No thanks.
You say that like Gio/Brodie are worth more than RoR.

Asinine is offline  
Old
07-09-2014, 02:31 PM
  #123
danielpalfredsson
Registered User
 
danielpalfredsson's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Posts: 4,854
vCash: 500
Look at it this way.

If Calgary wants him via offer-sheet, the only way they'll get him without Colorado instantly matching is by giving up at least their 2015/2016 1st round picks, their 2015 2nd round pick, and their 2015 3rd round pick.

If the compensation is less than that, Colorado likely matches, and keeps him, or looks for trading partners not named Calgary. The only reason I say this is because there is apparently a lot of interest league wide in O'Reilly, and if they were in a position to be choosers and not beggars, why would they help a team who is in their conference, and also ****ed them over twice with offer sheets?

The Calgary 2015 first round pick is insanely valuable, since Calgary is a projected bottom 10 team (being generous) with having a darkhorse shot at finishing bottom 2, which means either McDavid or Eichel.

So any offer Calgary makes would have to be in that range. If you are a Calgary fan, and you wouldn't be willing to do 2 firsts, a second, and a third, you're probably not getting O'Reilly.

danielpalfredsson is offline  
Old
07-09-2014, 02:32 PM
  #124
ForeverFlameFan
Go Flames Go!
 
ForeverFlameFan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Location: Arizona
Country: Mexico
Posts: 10,973
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by YEAHSO View Post
You say that like Gio/Brodie are worth more than RoR.
Giordano is, Brodie is not.

ForeverFlameFan is offline  
Old
07-09-2014, 02:33 PM
  #125
hockeyfish
Registered User
 
hockeyfish's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: DENVER!!!!!!!
Country: United States
Posts: 9,873
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by danielpalfredsson View Post
Look at it this way.

If Calgary wants him via offer-sheet, the only way they'll get him without Colorado instantly matching is by giving up at least their 2015/2016 1st round picks, their 2015 2nd round pick, and their 2015 3rd round pick.

If the compensation is less than that, Colorado likely matches, and keeps him, or looks for trading partners not named Calgary. The only reason I say this is because there is apparently a lot of interest league wide in O'Reilly, and if they were in a position to be choosers and not beggars, why would they help a team who is in their conference, and also ****ed them over twice with offer sheets?

The Calgary 2015 first round pick is insanely valuable, since Calgary is a projected bottom 10 team (being generous) with having a darkhorse shot at finishing bottom 2, which means either McDavid or Eichel.

So any offer Calgary makes would have to be in that range. If you are a Calgary fan, and you wouldn't be willing to do 2 firsts, a second, and a third, you're probably not getting O'Reilly.
Well, they can't offersheet him anyway.

hockeyfish is offline  
Closed Thread

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:03 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2016, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2016 All Rights Reserved.