HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

The Edmonton Oilers, Nail Yakupov and Opportunity

Old
07-09-2014, 11:07 PM
McRib
2nd Rate Fan

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Replacement View Post
This is of course fair comment. But a pro org should know that, expect that, and realize that putting in a raw rookie coach to coach a club that was young and needed astute, informed NHL direction was a compounding mistake.

That's not on Eakins. All Eakins is culpable for is having an overdeveloped confidence of how he was going to perform and being able to sell that. Which many people manage to do in job interviews..

How many people would really phone back and say "You know what, I fooled ya, I'm in over my head here if granted this position, you should reconsider"

How many people are even equipped with that humility?
Maybe Eakins should've declined the job if the organization was stupid enough not to give him much of a choice with who his coaching staff was.

Eakins is a good coach. I wouldn't say he's in over his head, but he is coaching a team that last season was still very much a Tambellini team. You can't make chicken salad out of chicken ****.

McRib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-09-2014, 11:09 PM
Spawn

Quote:
Originally Posted by McRib View Post
Clearly the expectation here is that Eakins, a first year NHL coach, should be as polished as a 15 year veteran coach. Mistakes and errors are inexcusable. He should know everything about being an NHL coach. It should come natural. A learning curve is hogwash.
No, Eakins shouldn't know how to do everything. But with a team as young and inexperienced as the oilers do you think maybe t would have been prudent to hire someone who actually did know the ropes? Who wasn't being forced to learn on the job. Yakupov wasn't good enough this year. Not even close. But Eakins was a disaster for this kid. An outright disaster. Just look at yaks stats (offensively AND DEFENSIVELY) under Krueger abd eakins and you have to wonder what the hell is going on there. Yakupov lead the team in goals a year ago and eakins had him as a healthy scratch within 10 games. He never knew how to use him. I doubt that changes and imagine we see a promising prospect ruined under him.

Spawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-09-2014, 11:12 PM
McRib
2nd Rate Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spawn View Post
No, Eakins shouldn't know how to do everything. But with a team as young and inexperienced as the oilers do you think maybe t would have been prudent to hire someone who actually did know the ropes? Who wasn't being forced to learn on the job. Yakupov wasn't good enough this year. Not even close. But Eakins was a disaster for this kid. An outright disaster. Just look at yaks stats (offensively AND DEFENSIVELY) under Krueger abd eakins and you have to wonder what the hell is going on there. Yakupov lead the team in goals a year ago and eakins had him as a healthy scratch within 10 games. He never knew how to use him. I doubt that changes and imagine we see a promising prospect ruined under him.
What experienced NHL coach is going to want to work in this organization?

Old
07-09-2014, 11:15 PM
OilCountry93

Quote:
Several instances in the case of Yak and other players where they had good games and subsequent reduced minutes. The other Russian, Belov, was horribly used as well.

Young players are going to be inconsistent. You deal with that effectively, not contribute to further difficulty. Eakins singled out Yak often. To the degree that it became a divisive issue between team and player. With the player being of value..

I care about a #1 draft. I could care less about losing the rest of Eakins contract. untried rookie coach vs highly touted #1 pick the coach loses in almost any other org. Not this one.
The sad thing is out of the last 4 coaches, Quinn, Renney, Krueger and Eakins, Eakins is the one who deserves to be canned the most. However, MacT hand picked this guy (and shafted Kreuger even though Ralph FINALLY got the team showing improvement). It would look horrible on the franchise/GM if he were to go into this season with a 5th different coach in 6 years. Eakins is over his head, is a terrible motivator and has an ego problem, but if MacT fires his golden boy after one season, this franchise will look like a complete joke (more than it already is). I fear that no matter who MacT manages to bring into the roster, with Eakins as the head coach, we are going nowhere. MacT has done a very good job with his signings/trades/etc., but he needs to admit defeat with his coaching hire. Sorry to get off topic, but I think the sooner Eakins is gone, the better chance there is for Yak to reach his full potential.

OilCountry93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-09-2014, 11:21 PM
McRib
2nd Rate Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by OilCountry93 View Post
The sad thing is out of the last 4 coaches, Quinn, Renney, Krueger and Eakins, Eakins is the one who deserves to be canned the most. However, MacT hand picked this guy (and shafted Kreuger even though Ralph FINALLY got the team showing improvement). It would look horrible on the franchise/GM if he were to go into this season with a 5th different coach in 6 years. Eakins is over his head, is a terrible motivator and has an ego problem, but if MacT fires his golden boy after one season, this franchise will look like a complete joke (more than it already is). I fear that no matter who MacT manages to bring into the roster, with Eakins as the head coach, we are going nowhere. MacT has done a very good job with his signings/trades/etc., but he needs to admit defeat with his coaching hire. Sorry to get off topic, but I think the sooner Eakins is gone, the better chance there is for Yak to reach his full potential.
If making Yakupov learn to play defense stunts his professional growth, then maybe he shouldn't be in the NHL anyways.

He was -33 last season. Force feed him the minutes that some people on here want him to get and he'll probably be at -50.

Even Ilya Kovalchuk had better +/- numbers on equally as bad Thrasher teams.

Old
07-09-2014, 11:34 PM
Replacement
Now with 9% more zen

Quote:
Maybe Eakins should've declined the job if the organization was stupid enough not to give him much of a choice with who his coaching staff was.

Eakins is a good coach. I wouldn't say he's in over his head, but he is coaching a team that last season was still very much a Tambellini team. You can't make chicken salad out of chicken ****.
If my memory serves the Oil told Eakins he could have input in the coaching staff and then later rescinded. Isn't that how it played out? In which case Eakins can't even be blamed for that.

Replacement is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-09-2014, 11:38 PM
Aerchon

Quote:

Is this irony? A joke? Is English your second language and you don't understand the things your are writing on your computer?

Krueger did 1000 times better than Eakins against worse competition with a worse roster with younger players. Krueger was not considered a "good coach".

Our roster last year with a decent coach should have made the play offs... if we were in the East. As it is in the west with last years roster we still should have done much much much much better and been at least in the mix for the playoffs... After the first 2 months of the season.

Eakins and Mac T shouldn't have publicly went on and on and on about how the team will be better and should no longer be considered a young team...

Have you woken up from your Eakins is a good coach coma yet? Is this starting to ring a bell? Is the true nature of exactly how bad the swarm defensive system really was not an indication that Eakins was completely and utterly 110% lost in the NHL and had no business being there? I am sorry Mr Eakins but at the NHL level "not all systems are equal".

I am wondering if Eakins can have a softmore slump. If so they might disown us from the league and just make the Oilers an AHL team.

Bit over the top maybe but I would have to say still uncomfortably accurate.

The roster we have this year would almost defiantly make the playoffs in the East with a half decent coach. We have 3 first overalls for poops sake. If Eakins can't make this team competitive in the West with this roster and with Ramsay holding his hand the whole way I think he will be considered the worst coach in Oilers History.

Aerchon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-09-2014, 11:38 PM
Mr Positive

vCash: 50
Quote:
Several instances in the case of Yak and other players where they had good games and subsequent reduced minutes. The other Russian, Belov, was horribly used as well.

Young players are going to be inconsistent. You deal with that effectively, not contribute to further difficulty. Eakins singled out Yak often. To the degree that it became a divisive issue between team and player. With the player being of value..

I care about a #1 draft. I could care less about losing the rest of Eakins contract. untried rookie coach vs highly touted #1 pick the coach loses in almost any other org. Not this one.
Rubbish. You seriously think there is some anti Russian conspiracy on this team? Then why get Belov in the first place? Why get Yakupov?

Btw, Yakupov and Belov were given some of the easiest minutes on this team. Yakupov rarely ever had to start in the defensive zone and contrary to what some posters say he got to play with Hall quite a bit.

Look at his line combo percentages: http://hockey.dobbersports.com/froze...ations&sent=go

Just for summary, that chart shows that Yakupov was mostly playing with top six players for the season. Hall is not the most common, but he did spend quite a bit of time playing with Hall. Yakupov's most common combination was playing with RNH and Eberle, but at times had to settle for Gagner, Perron, and Hemsky. If you add up his line combos, he probably played a bit under 20% of the time with Hall.

Eakins did everything in his power to make Yakupov succeed last season.

Mr Positive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-09-2014, 11:41 PM
MrOiler

Yak got plenty of chances last year - a lot of them unearned.

I like the kid, but blaming this all on Eakins is ridiculous. Remember Yak's temper tantrum to the press that everyone including his agent had to go into damage control over? That was all him.

The kid has holes in his game. He's a project.

Why coddle him?

Take a look at the Vollman Sledgehammer for Oiler wingers in 2013-2014 - weak competition and 65% offensive starts and still a poor year. He was set up to succeed. I don't think he grows as a player when everyone blames Eakins.

It's not a big deal - let him develop over time and hopefully he doesn't let the "entitlement" thing screw up his relationship with the Oil.

MrOiler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-09-2014, 11:51 PM
New dawn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ser Woof View Post
Not when it comes to one Mr. Jordan Eberle.

New dawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-10-2014, 12:40 AM
Spawn

Quote:
What experienced NHL coach is going to want to work in this organization?
Literally any unemployed coach looking for work?

Quote:
If making Yakupov learn to play defense stunts his professional growth, then maybe he shouldn't be in the NHL anyways.

He was -33 last season. Force feed him the minutes that some people on here want him to get and he'll probably be at -50.

He was -33 under Eakins. He was -4 under Krueger.

Here is a post I made a few days ago in relation to Eakins/Krueger, the team and Yakupov

Quote:
The team was a far better 5v5 team with Krueger than they were with Eakins. Far far far better.

Under Krueger:
82 goals for in 48 - 21st in the league (1.71GF/G)
91 goals against in 48 games - 19th in the league (1.89GA/G)

Under Eakins:
130 goals for in 82 games - 28th in the league (1.58GF/G)
183 against in 82 games - 30th in the league (2.23GA/G)

Under Eakin's the team scored significantly fewer goals 5v5 and gave up significantly more.

Under Krueger for the first time in a number of years the team improved in a number of statistical categories, both offensively and defensively. Under Eakins the team was worse across the board. There wasn't a single aspect that the team was significantly better under Eakins than under Krueger, and plenty where they were way worse.

Yakupov wasn't better 5v5 under Krueger? The stats sure as hell seem to indicate otherwise.

Yakupov under Krueger on ice
2.62 GF/60, 2.62 GA/60 25 goals for, 25 goals against

Yakupov under Eakins on ice
2.07GF/60, 4.14 GA/60 26 goals for, 52 goals against

Yakupov went from an even 5v5 player under Krueger to the worst player in the league in 5v5 GF/GA on ice ratio (if you drop it to players who only played 50 or more games, he drops down to 2nd).

Now I agree, Yakupov needs to be held somewhat accountable for his abysmal year. But Eakins was nothing but a detriment to not only Yakupov but the entire team as a whole.

That is a HELL of a difference from one coach to the next. Yakupov went from looking passable defensively under Krueger to the worst player in the league under Eakins.

Old
07-10-2014, 01:02 AM
SupremeTeam16

My bet is Yak starts on a third scoring line eating up 10-12 minutes a night of soft 5 v 5 minutes and some solid PP time in a unit that will be built to try and utilize his one-t. The biggest thing for Yak is getting his confidence up, once that happens I think we will see him perform better in all zones. Not saying he will become a defensive pillar but he should improve.

If his play improves substantially then he will quickly climb the depth chart.

As for Eakins, if the team is a complete garbage fire for the first 25 games he will be out and Ramsay will take over guaranteed.

SupremeTeam16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-10-2014, 01:03 AM
Groucho
Tier 1 Fan

Quote:
Yakupov shot 21% as a rookie under Krueger. It had nothing to do with how Kreuger utilized him and everything to do with him being incredibly lucky. There is no way that Yak would have been able to sustain 21%.

Also MrOiler that's a great post up there. Props.

Groucho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-10-2014, 01:22 AM
Mr Positive

Quote:
Literally any unemployed coach looking for work?

He was -33 under Eakins. He was -4 under Krueger.

Here is a post I made a few days ago in relation to Eakins/Krueger, the team and Yakupov

That is a HELL of a difference from one coach to the next. Yakupov went from looking passable defensively under Krueger to the worst player in the league under Eakins.
that is some flawed logic. If you are going to say that coaching is the only factor in Yakupov's performance then at least point at EXACTLY what Krueger did with Yak that was so much better than what Eakins did.

Mr Positive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-10-2014, 01:26 AM
Oiltankjob Fail

Quote:

EAKINS in 8 years of coaching has made playoffs twice in the Ahl , NHL he has not sniffed playoffs in 4 seasons , your bolded is funny.

Oiltankjob Fail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-10-2014, 01:34 AM
Oiler4Life2797

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oiltankjob Fail View Post
EAKINS in 8 years of coaching has made playoffs twice in the Ahl , NHL he has not sniffed playoffs in 4 seasons , your bolded is funny.
He's only been a head coach for 5 years and he made the playoffs twice in the AHL, and he's only been a head coach in the NHL for one season, so I don't know where you got four from?

Oiler4Life2797 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-10-2014, 01:40 AM
Oiltankjob Fail

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oiler4Life2797 View Post
He's only been a head coach for 5 years and he made the playoffs twice in the AHL, and he's only been a head coach in the NHL for one season, so I don't know where you got four from?
He was a assistant with the Leafs, I said coaching the years he was a assistant with Leafs no playoffs keith acton part of that core again. His head coaching took him till season 3 in the Ahl to make playoffs. LOL where anybody gets a good coach from is laughable. He took a better roster last year and nose dived the team , the guy is a utter fraud.

Old
07-10-2014, 01:49 AM
Up the Irons

vCash: 508
Quote:

choke, puke!!

please, tell me, what have you seen to date that, even in the tiniest way, leads you to believe this? he has not done a single thing to indicate he is a good coach. I'm not saying he can't become one, but there is not a single, solitary shred of evidence, at this point, that he is a good coach. Eakins has done nothing and actually has done some harm to the Oilers.

sure, everyone needs a starting point, but are the Oilers drafting coaches now too? are we a developing ground for coaches?

They already wasted a year, and took a step backwards, because of this learning-on-the-job coaching project. How many more can they waste? Answer: zero.

Last edited by Up the Irons: 07-10-2014 at 01:58 AM.
Up the Irons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-10-2014, 01:59 AM
Oiltankjob Fail

Quote:
Originally Posted by Up the Irons View Post
choke, puke!! please, tell me, what have you seen to date that, even in the tiniest way, leads you to believe this? he has not done a single thing to indicate he is a good coach. I'm not saying he can't become one, but there is not a single, solitary shred of evidence, at this point, that he is coach. Eakins has done nothing and actually has done some harm to the Oilers.

sure, everyone needs a starting point, but are the Oilers drafting coaches now too? are we a developing ground for coaches?

They already wasted a year, and took a step backwards, because of this learning-on-the-job coaching project. How many more can they waste? Answer: zero.
He was probably impressed with how Eakins started of the pre season playing the oldest slowest player on the team on the top line game in and game out thinking he was a good fit there lol, or maybe how he was trying to convince us a 7 goal ahl Will Acton would be a great fit on the big club. Or maybe benching Yak when we were up 4-2 in the first game. Or maybe his total lack of communication or emotion on the bench because he is worried how he is perceived on TV. Unless you get his hair wet then he shows lots of Emotions.

Old
07-10-2014, 02:03 AM
Spawn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Positive View Post
that is some flawed logic. If you are going to say that coaching is the only factor in Yakupov's performance then at least point at EXACTLY what Krueger did with Yak that was so much better than what Eakins did.
A) Where did I say that coaching is the only factor? I've said in this thread and repeatedly in the past that Yakupov needed to be better this year. It's not all on coaching by any means. History suggests that a first overall pick like Yakupov should show a hell of a lot more than he has. But that doesn't mean coaching is exempt from criticism. Especially when the team was across the board worse than they were the year previously under a different coach with a worse team on paper.

B) I'm not in the dressing room. I can't see what these coaches are doing with their players. All I can see is the results. What exactly did Krueger do that Eakins didn't to make Yakupov better? Not a clue. But he sure as hell did something.

Old
07-10-2014, 02:15 AM
Up the Irons

vCash: 508
Quote:
that's scary, isn't it.

or what about the PP, this 1-3-1 rookie brainwave. it went from PDG under Kruger, to a detriment to the team under Eakins. A momentum killer, a boost for the opposition. they gave up more breakaways and 2-on-1s then on 5 on 5, FFS!!!! Inconceivable.

Up the Irons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-10-2014, 02:24 AM
Tarus
Fire Mact

Quote:
Originally Posted by Up the Irons View Post
that's scary, isn't it.

or what about the PP, this 1-3-1 rookie brainwave. it went from PDG under Kruger, to a detriment to the team under Eakins. A momentum killer, a boost for the opposition. they gave up more breakaways and 2-on-1s then on 5 on 5, FFS!!!! Inconceivable.
The 1 - 3 - 1 is a perfectly valid powerplay tactic. The 1 - 3 - 1 as Eakins implemented it? Not so much.

They could have played pretty much any system setup, the execution under Eakins was universally terrible last year in every discipline.

Tarus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-10-2014, 02:31 AM
BarDownBobo

Quote:

After the Oilers acquired Scrivens Yakupov was a whopping....wait for it....-3. He's obviously not very good defensively, but you have to wonder how much of his minus is because of having an awful goalie playing behind him.

BarDownBobo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-10-2014, 05:17 AM
surshot*

Eakins tried to tear him down to build him up. He failed miserably. It was bad enough to get most coaches fired. He is so damn lucky that our coaching history is what it is. He better have learned his lesson because if he does not get him going this season he will be back in the AHL without a hope of getting another job in the NHL.

surshot* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-10-2014, 06:40 AM
Groucho
Tier 1 Fan

I think a few of you have seen too many episodes of Criminal Minds and are armchair profiling Eakins

Groucho is offline   Reply With Quote