HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Chicago Blackhawks
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Hockey Player banned from Johnny's Ice House after being mugged

Old
07-09-2014, 02:02 PM
mikitas donut
The Hammer!

vCash: 500
Hockey Player banned from Johnny's Ice House after being mugged

Has anyone heard about this? A player at Johnny's Ice House was banned after expressing safety concerns regarding a mugging in the garage.

http://www.nbcchicago.com/blogs/madh...266287881.html

I find this disturbing, and Rocky should be wary about having the Blackhawks associated with this type of managerial incompetence. I have many friends that play there and it sounds like their safety is just an afterthought.

Last edited by mikitas donut: 07-09-2014 at 06:16 PM.
mikitas donut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-09-2014, 02:04 PM
hisgirlfriday

Isn't Rocky trying to get a new Blackhawks practice facility built right by the UC?

hisgirlfriday is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-09-2014, 02:06 PM
UsernameWasTaken
Let's Go Blue Jays!

Very unprofessional of the arena management.

UsernameWasTaken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-09-2014, 02:55 PM
Callidusblackhawk

That's pretty ****ing pathetic.

Callidusblackhawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-09-2014, 03:54 PM
digdug41982

vCash: 50
Wow, it's time for the Blackhawks to release a statement that they are no longer affiliated with that ****hole.

Quote:
O'Shea said he was shocked, though, when Rosenquist suggested he “look into playing in the suburbs."
What the **** is that supposed to even mean? He's not tough enough to take his muggings like a man and shut up about them.

digdug41982 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-09-2014, 04:03 PM
Stu Grimson

Quote:
Originally Posted by coldsteelonice84 View Post

What the **** is that supposed to even mean? He's not tough enough to take his muggings like a man and shut up about them.
As they say in the mob, "snitches end up in ditches" I guess that is what Johnny's is saying

Here is an excellent take on the situation

http://thecommittedindian.com/strange-set-priorities/

Stu Grimson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-09-2014, 04:15 PM
Kurtosis
Patiently Waiting

Wow, that is an absolutely pathetic response.

Kurtosis is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-09-2014, 04:16 PM
No Fun Shogun
Global Moderator
34-38-61-10-13

Judgment reserved until more details are made public. Somehow doubt that it's a situation of them merely making public the fact that they got mugged.

Nerd, don't estimate all humanity by the limitations of your own capability. - Steve Smith, Professor of History, University of China, IL
No Fun Shogun is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-09-2014, 04:24 PM
UsernameWasTaken
Let's Go Blue Jays!

Quote:
Originally Posted by No Fun Shogun View Post
Judgment reserved until more details are made public. Somehow doubt that it's a situation of them merely making public the fact that they got mugged.
He wasn't the one who was mugged (OP's thread title is misleading). Three other guys were mugged and O'Shea went to management about building security. They then sent him the dumbassed response, he told NBC about it, and then he was banned.

UsernameWasTaken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-09-2014, 05:10 PM
mikitas donut
The Hammer!

Quote:
Originally Posted by UsernameWasTaken View Post
He wasn't the one who was mugged (OP's thread title is misleading). Three other guys were mugged and O'Shea went to management about building security. They then sent him the dumbassed response, he told NBC about it, and then he was banned.
Whoops, my mistake. Someone feel free to change the thread title.

mikitas donut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-09-2014, 06:16 PM
ObeyMashinter

Quote:
Originally Posted by hisgirlfriday View Post
Isn't Rocky trying to get a new Blackhawks practice facility built right by the UC?
The Hawks dont practice at Johnny's Ice house, they practice at Johnny's West.

ObeyMashinter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-09-2014, 06:19 PM
IU Hawks fan
They call me IU

Quote:
Originally Posted by ObeyBollig View Post
Really has nothing to do with the question.

The answer is yes: http://www.chicagobusiness.com/artic...raining-center

IU Hawks fan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-09-2014, 09:23 PM
bluetuned

Quote:
Originally Posted by ObeyBollig View Post
The incident happened at West.

bluetuned is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-10-2014, 01:21 PM
hockeydoug

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stu Grimson View Post
As they say in the mob, "snitches end up in ditches" I guess that is what Johnny's is saying

Here is an excellent take on the situation

http://thecommittedindian.com/strange-set-priorities/
I would call it interesting, not excellent, especially trying to tie in all the stuff that happened at the CSN implying some sort of conspiracy. I think McDonough and the gang are strong and competent enough to clean up the mess, if they thought they were anyway responsible themselves, as opposed to risking a gaffe by JIH management.

hockeydoug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-10-2014, 01:28 PM
IU Hawks fan
They call me IU

Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeydoug View Post
I would call it interesting, not excellent, especially trying to tie in all the stuff that happened at the CSN implying some sort of conspiracy. I think McDonough and the gang are strong and competent enough to clean up the mess, if they thought they were anyway responsible themselves, as opposed to risking a gaffe by JIH management.
Nothing from CI should ever been deemed "excellent". That was an interesting piece, yeah, but their typical drivel pushing the same narrative they have for years now.

Old
07-10-2014, 02:41 PM
Hawkscap

Josh Mora lesson: Don't piss off the guy who signs your paycheck. CSN does not do journalism, it is a marketing channel first and foremost. Josh forgot that.

Hawkscap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-10-2014, 02:56 PM
Sarava

I understand the Josh Mora stuff. But the Hawks being behind this one makes no sense. Banning the guy made this a bigger story than it would have ever been - which is what they supposedly did not want.

Sarava is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-10-2014, 03:07 PM
STC

I play on 3 teams there, the place is a joke. The owner (Tom Moro) and his henchman (Kevin Rosenquist) are the biggest a-holes I've ever encountered. They have a monopoly on men's league hockey in Chicago since there are only 3 rinks in the entire city and they own 2 of them (Johnnys East and West) and the other rink (McFetridge) only has one league and its a very low level of competition. Because of this, there is a huge wait list of teams and players wanting to get into Johnny's. As a result, any time someone complains or does anything to upset management they get suspended or kicked out permanently.

One of my captains emailed Rosenquist just to ask if one of his players was going to have his suspension lifted in time for the new season and Rosenquist responded with a tirade calling my captain an a hole and saying he should kick his entire team out for even asking the question.

This is typical for how they handle all situations. Last year I myself served a 9 month suspension for cracking a joke in the locker room at a guy who worked there.

A poster here (I won't say his name) had to go to the ER for stitches because he cut himself on a piece of sharp metal that was sticking out from the bench. He emailed Rosenquist who told him to go to the ER and they would pay the bill. Later when he sent him the bill Rosenquist refused to pay. The poster didn't follow up on it cause he knew he would be banned from the rink.

The place is a joke security wise. West is in a terrible neighborhood, there is no security, no cameras in most areas and they don't even lock the front door. There have been many instances of the "locals" entering the building and going into locker rooms and stealing stuff. Did I mention that they never give you a key to lock the room? People have been robbed outside the building as well, but this is the first armed mugging to happen in the building.

I know the guy who just got banned. Really nice guy, great player. His teammates warned him not to press the issue, but he said he was passionate about the security issue there and wasn't going to back down.

Me and my friends said as soon as this happened that the people who got mugged were probably going to get banned for reporting it to the police. No surprise that a player who had the audacity to ask management about security would get banned.

STC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-10-2014, 03:09 PM
STC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarava View Post
I understand the Josh Mora stuff. But the Hawks being behind this one makes no sense. Banning the guy made this a bigger story than it would have ever been - which is what they supposedly did not want.

Hawks have no connection to this incident. Its all the owner and manager of the building. Hawks aren't going to do anything because I'm sure they are worried that they will get banned as well. Don't laugh, these guys would definitely do that if they could (i.e. there isn't a contract preventing it).

Old
07-10-2014, 03:46 PM
99 steps
to the top

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluetuned View Post
The incident happened at West.
West is in a worse neighborhood. I've played at both, and you drive fast out of West when your game ends late.

99 steps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-10-2014, 03:51 PM
Sarava

Quote:
Originally Posted by STC View Post
Hawks have no connection to this incident. Its all the owner and manager of the building. Hawks aren't going to do anything because I'm sure they are worried that they will get banned as well. Don't laugh, these guys would definitely do that if they could (i.e. there isn't a contract preventing it).
Thanks for giving us a firsthand account of things there. Yikes...you wonder how management could stay in business acting that way towards customers.

Sarava is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-10-2014, 04:11 PM
STC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarava View Post
Thanks for giving us a firsthand account of things there. Yikes...you wonder how management could stay in business acting that way towards customers.
Like I said, they can act like that because they have a total monopoly on adult hockey in the city limits. Rumor is they have 100 teams on a wait list.

Old
07-10-2014, 04:21 PM
hockeydoug

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawkscap View Post
Josh Mora lesson: Don't piss off the guy who signs your paycheck. CSN does not do journalism, it is a marketing channel first and foremost. Josh forgot that.
Yes, it was CSN people it seems/seemed, either because they claimed to find the report (Tallon firing) irresponsible or possibly because they were hypersensitive to certain things around the Hawks, especially since WGN had just recently snagged a number of games they may have been hoping to get. While he asserts they were good sources, it's likely they may have been from the old gaurd or conjecture. Many of WWW's people had been moved to other parts of Wirtz' business outside of the Hawks or hockey ops. Since history has shown info from that front office is really tough to come by until they're ready to release it, I think the idea that there was any conspiracy is harder and harder to believe with the Mora, Collins, or JIH story.

From Josh Mora's blog in late 2010:
Quote:
And so, in short, the conclusion I reached is that I was let go simply because I made too much money for what the managers at my network had budgeted for the slot. As I write this, more than ten months after I was told I was not going to be renewed, the network still hadn’t replaced me on its on-air staff roster
http://40yearoldnothing.wordpress.com/

The Hawks continued a good relationship with him.
He cited 4 times where Hawks' business people said they did not interfer among other favorable comments and McDonough offered to help him land somewhere else if he needed referrals. From his perspective, he stuck to his guns and pointing at CSN people. Unless there new info, I'm sick of that story getting new life without any new interviews, memos, releases, etc.

So going back to the JIH story, I think the blog above was just throwing out speculative b.s. and I'm very inclined to believe this was just a decision made independent of the Blackhawks.

hockeydoug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-10-2014, 04:24 PM
IU Hawks fan
They call me IU

Quote:
Originally Posted by STC View Post
I play on 3 teams there, the place is a joke. The owner (Tom Moro) and his henchman (Kevin Rosenquist) are the biggest a-holes I've ever encountered. They have a monopoly on men's league hockey in Chicago since there are only 3 rinks in the entire city and they own 2 of them (Johnnys East and West) and the other rink (McFetridge) only has one league and its a very low level of competition. Because of this, there is a huge wait list of teams and players wanting to get into Johnny's. As a result, any time someone complains or does anything to upset management they get suspended or kicked out permanently.

One of my captains emailed Rosenquist just to ask if one of his players was going to have his suspension lifted in time for the new season and Rosenquist responded with a tirade calling my captain an a hole and saying he should kick his entire team out for even asking the question.

This is typical for how they handle all situations. Last year I myself served a 9 month suspension for cracking a joke in the locker room at a guy who worked there.

A poster here (I won't say his name) had to go to the ER for stitches because he cut himself on a piece of sharp metal that was sticking out from the bench. He emailed Rosenquist who told him to go to the ER and they would pay the bill. Later when he sent him the bill Rosenquist refused to pay. The poster didn't follow up on it cause he knew he would be banned from the rink.

The place is a joke security wise. West is in a terrible neighborhood, there is no security, no cameras in most areas and they don't even lock the front door. There have been many instances of the "locals" entering the building and going into locker rooms and stealing stuff. Did I mention that they never give you a key to lock the room? People have been robbed outside the building as well, but this is the first armed mugging to happen in the building.

I know the guy who just got banned. Really nice guy, great player. His teammates warned him not to press the issue, but he said he was passionate about the security issue there and wasn't going to back down.

Me and my friends said as soon as this happened that the people who got mugged were probably going to get banned for reporting it to the police. No surprise that a player who had the audacity to ask management about security would get banned.
Wow, that's crazy. No locker room keys? I've never heard of such a thing.

Old
07-10-2014, 04:25 PM
Stu Grimson

Quote:
Originally Posted by IU Hawks fan View Post
Nothing from CI should ever been deemed "excellent". That was an interesting piece, yeah, but their typical drivel pushing the same narrative they have for years now.

They may be vulgar and at times poke fun or even be harsh at some of the organization Rocky, McD, Q, etc (They aren't towing the company line) like CSN or the Trib, Sun Times does. But they do have a valid point about the double standard of firing a girl who had a slip of the tongue and at the same time praising a noted wife beating drunk like Bobby Hull each game. I love Hull as a player but he isn't exactly a good human being. Aside from the late Tim Sassone and Bob Verdi hockey writers in this city are clueless.

Stu Grimson is offline   Reply With Quote