HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Nashville Predators
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Titans on the clock

Closed Thread

Old
09-12-2005, 11:01 AM
Gnashville
Playoff losers

vCash: 500
Titans on the clock

Looks as if the Titans are going to be playing for the NFL's first pick in the draft.
This should actually be good for the Predators. In mid October the Titans should be 1-5 or 0-6. Do you think the fans and media may actually start to realize the Predators exist and play at that time of year? Normally the TV & Radio media does't even get scores right till Feb . I hate to wish the Titans ill, but a few years of losing with the Predators winning could help the coverage and fans support.

Old
09-12-2005, 11:22 AM
Joe T Choker
Wookin' Pa Nub in...

I kinda felt all warm and fuzzy inside as a Predators fan when they flashed that score across the screen yesterday, after I finished watching the Red Sox - Yankees game on INHD2

Old
09-12-2005, 11:54 AM
quartermaster29

Send a message via Yahoo to quartermaster29
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gnashville
Looks as if the Titans are going to be playing for the NFL's first pick in the draft.
This should actually be good for the Predators. In mid October the Titans should be 1-5 or 0-6. Do you think the fans and media may actually start to realize the Predators exist and play at that time of year? Normally the TV & Radio media does't even get scores right till Feb . I hate to wish the Titans ill, but a few years of losing with the Predators winning could help the coverage and fans support.
Yeah, I am not for wishing the Titans sink (^5 swampie), but you have to admit that football fans will never leave the city. The Titans could take the 1st draft pick for the next three years, and there will still be sellout size crowds at the beginning of that next season. Football is in the blood of many of the people who live here.

But the Preds need a season or two of being the most dominant team in the city to ever become what the Great White North considers a "hockey market". The Preds winning is nice. But the Titans losing AND the Preds winning is the complete formula.

Old
09-12-2005, 12:19 PM
dulzhok

Quote:
Originally Posted by quartermaster29
Yeah, I am not for wishing the Titans sink (^5 swampie), but you have to admit that football fans will never leave the city. The Titans could take the 1st draft pick for the next three years, and there will still be sellout size crowds at the beginning of that next season. Football is in the blood of many of the people who live here.
I don't totally agree.

Ya, the hardcore football fans will always support the Titans, as the hardcore hockey fans always supported the Predators (though there are more hardcore football fans in Nashville).

BUT

Don't forget last year, while all the Titans games were "sellouts", there were loads of empty seats after it became apparent that this was not a playoff team.

Don't forget that when the team played at Vanderbilt and went 8-8, the city's overall interest in the Titans was marginal.

So yes, I do think the city's overall interest in the Titans will decrease considerably if they continue to stink it up.

And I think the city's overall interest in the Predators will skyrocket if we are able to be a playoff contender, especially if there's nothing to get excited about in the Titans world.

Old
09-12-2005, 12:48 PM
Predarat

If I remember right the Preds came out of the gate beating the Titans in a lot of areas when they were the Oilers and played at Vandy. But there is always the big, orange gorrilla to contend with.

Old
09-12-2005, 01:06 PM
Joe T Choker
Wookin' Pa Nub in...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Predarat
If I remember right the Preds came out of the gate beating the Titans in a lot of areas when they were the Oilers and played at Vandy. But there is always the big, orange gorrilla to contend with.
not for too much longer if they continue to play like they did against UAB

Old
09-12-2005, 01:28 PM
vopatsrash

the first year, the Preds could do no wrong and the Titans could do no right.

There was the disastrous season in Vandy, which culminated in the nightmare game in the ice against the Vikings in which the stadium was so caked with ice that it took until the 2nd quarter to even get to your ice covered seat. Also, people complained incessantly about the name change, the logo, the uniforms, the preseason game pricing, the parking/gameday traffic, etc. I actually felt bad for that McLaughlin guy on the Titans (their Steve Violetta). He was grilled on the radio many times in ways that made the Plaster stale popcorn rant look like nothing.

Meanwhile, the preds had the marketing, the preds were "Nashville's team" and not some team that moved here, the Preds got to 12,000 season tickets, and everything they touched turned to PR gold. I remember Titans fans actually saying on talk radio "I wish the Titans could do things like the Preds do it." For better or worse (worse, imo), the titans actually copied some of the in-game marketing of the Preds. I went to Titans games at Vandy and Adelphia and it was pretty much the game and a little bit of in-game stuff, and after a month of the Preds, all of the sudden, the Titans were doing a "fan of the game", etc.

I really think that UT won't be a factor to the Preds this season. I don't see how UT loses less than 3 games this season. Unless UAB was an aberration. They still have road games against Florida, LSU, Notre Dame, and Alabama. I think they're looking at a split at best of those 4 games. As a matter of fact, there is a good chance that UT's season is effectively over before the preds even play game one. If anything, the preds have to fear the backlash frenzy of angry UT people dominating the media when they're 1-2.

I also don't think Vandy will be a factor, even if they win. They only have 2 home games on the same day as Preds home games and they are both day games and don't even coincide.

Bottom line is if the Preds can win right out of the gate, I think they will be in good shape. The Titans could go 0-16 and if the Preds have another 4-12 start, they could be in bad shape again support-wise.

Old
09-12-2005, 01:56 PM
Joe T Choker
Wookin' Pa Nub in...

UT WILL be 1-2 before the Preds season begins ... they have Florida this weekend and LSU has a week off and then play UT ... ruh roh

Old
09-12-2005, 03:49 PM
muddycreek*

We will see about UT. Don't count them out. I don't think collage football is a detriment to professional hockey. Professional football is. I'd as soon have a sister that's...well you know the rest.

Old
09-12-2005, 03:53 PM
crossxcheck

Send a message via AIM to crossxcheck Send a message via MSN to crossxcheck Send a message via Yahoo to crossxcheck
Quote:
Originally Posted by muddycreek
We will see about UT. Don't count them out. I don't think collage football is a detriment to professional hockey. Professional football is. I'd as soon have a sister that's...well you know the rest.
muddy, buddy, it's "college" not "collage"

Old
09-13-2005, 12:40 AM
Radulov for Czar*

wow.. so a team struggles out of the gate and you write them off? I hope the Preds don't start cold, or the team may move mid season.

Seriously, UT is a good football team, and I agree that they could lose one of the next two games, but I do not see them losing both. Tennessee will lose 2 games at the MOST this season, and more than likely not more than one.

And to keep this post on topic, the Titans suck and I love every second of it!

Also, is it the end of the world when Vandy finishes the year with more wins than the Titans?

Old
09-13-2005, 12:46 AM
sparkle twin
drrrty player

Send a message via ICQ to sparkle twin Send a message via AIM to sparkle twin
I would just like to say how much I loved the game on Sunday.

As long as the Predators are winning and the Titans are losing, people will jump from the wagon across the river to our wagon on 5th and Broadway. We complained that last year would have been the perfect time to get fans back on our side, now it's time to see if we're right or not.

Old
09-13-2005, 08:18 AM
vopatsrash

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonesey
wow.. so a team struggles out of the gate and you write them off? I hope the Preds don't start cold, or the team may move mid season.

Seriously, UT is a good football team, and I agree that they could lose one of the next two games, but I do not see them losing both. Tennessee will lose 2 games at the MOST this season, and more than likely not more than one.
UT could run the table if they put it all together mentally (especially defensively) in the next two weeks, but i think they will lose 3. Btw, I had this opinion before the UAB game, so it's not a sky is falling point of view. I just think next year is their year. The schedule lines up well, the last recruiting class will be gelling, and Ainge should be hitting his stride as a starter. I'm a UT fan, so I hope I'm wrong (about this year).

Old
09-13-2005, 09:56 AM
AdmiralPred

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gnashville
Did you happen to catch the Packer game on Sunday? This wasn't shaping up to be a promising season to begin with but, oye!! They could be in the Matt Leinhart race as well, although I am probably overreacting.

Old
09-13-2005, 08:14 PM
muddycreek*

Only one question for you Vandy fans; rose or only sugar bowl?

Old
09-13-2005, 09:00 PM
triggrman
HFBoards Sponsor

Not again....

Old
09-14-2005, 01:40 PM
Gnashville
Playoff losers

Quote:
Originally Posted by muddycreek
Only one question for you Vandy fans; rose or only sugar bowl?
it was funny once not twice

Old
09-14-2005, 01:51 PM
crossxcheck

Send a message via AIM to crossxcheck Send a message via MSN to crossxcheck Send a message via Yahoo to crossxcheck
the perpetual potstirrer...muddy, if you want maximum results in your trolling cut the chase and go to a vandy football forum!

Closed Thread