HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Phi and Nash

Old
07-10-2014, 10:39 AM
Rocket of Russia
Defender of Tang

vCash: 500
Both sides over-valuing their trading chips in these proposals - not surprising - but why is it every offer I see involving the Flyers always has 2nd and 3rd round picks thrown on the end of both sides of the proposals. It's like, "if I distract you with useless draft pick wizardry, you'll accept my crumby proposal!"

Rocket of Russia is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-10-2014, 10:43 AM
Soundgarden

vCash: 562
The only way is trade Jones is for someone like Mackinnon. Philly doesn't have that to offer.

Soundgarden is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-10-2014, 11:05 AM
Byrddog

Lets see Philly bent Poile over in the Weber deal... Unless Poile is fired today I don't expect any trades with the Flyers in the future.

Last edited by TMI: 07-10-2014 at 11:43 AM. Reason: bit too much
Byrddog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-10-2014, 11:31 AM
The Dream
Maximum Overdrive

If a trade for Jones would occur it would be around Couturier + or Voracek straight up .

Though I am very hesitant to trade Couturier especially to a team like Nashville. Nashville could offer Couturier very good minutes and plenty of big PP minutes. Since Nashville has a fantastic defense and pretty solid defensive forwards Couturier would not need to handle a huge defensive load. I could see him putting up 60 points or close to it as early as next season. Then if Jones doesn't turn into a franchise D-man we might be in a L. Schenn/JVR situation all over again, but this time even worse.

I think we should just stick with our prospects and hope they turn out really great and I have confidence 1 of them can be a true #1 seeing as though 3 of them have that potential.

The Dream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-10-2014, 11:42 AM
TMI
Mod Supervisor

Quote:
Originally Posted by duffy9748 View Post
Do Nashville fans really believe that Poile would make Philly pay more than another team just because of the Weber offer sheet? That's not a very smart way of managing your team.
I doubt he would hold that big of a grudge, but he would make any team overpay to get Jones. It isn't Poile who would make Philly pay a huge price in a trade. It's any other team interested in the event Poile starts dangling him out as trade bait.

07-10-2014, 11:46 AM
Curufinwe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Byrddog View Post
Lets see Philly bent Poile over in the Weber deal... Unless Poile is fired today I don't expect any trades with the Flyers in the future.
Philly got Weber to commit long term to Nashville at a reasonable cap hit.

Curufinwe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-10-2014, 12:00 PM
Rocket of Russia
Defender of Tang

Quote:
Originally Posted by Curufinwe View Post
The structure of the contract - $26m+ in bonuses/salary in the first 2 years - was designed to force Nashville to not match. I don't really care too much one way or another, but let's not make it like it was some benevolent offer, when in reality it was a much closer equivalent of a hostile takeover attempt.

Rocket of Russia is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-10-2014, 12:22 PM
Predsrule

Quote:
Agreed I loves phi when they gave us the os. Once they matched it made he owners commit the money to make it work and when his deal gets cheap we will have the best contract in the nhl all at a cap hit under 8 mill vs the 10+ he would get now.

Predsrule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-10-2014, 01:28 PM
Cashville
RIP Lindback

vCash: 1225
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThirdManIn View Post
I doubt he would hold that big of a grudge, but he would make any team overpay to get Jones. It isn't Poile who would make Philly pay a huge price in a trade. It's any other team interested in the event Poile starts dangling him out as trade bait.
This is correct. If Jones had a NTC and PHI was the only team he'd go to, these offers look better. In a broad auction though? Someone is going to throw the whole kitchen sink in to get him. The Oilers are probably the best candidate in that scenario; lots of high-end forward talent.

Cashville is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-10-2014, 01:41 PM
Curufinwe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocket of Russia View Post
The structure of the contract - $26m+ in bonuses/salary in the first 2 years - was designed to force Nashville to not match. I don't really care too much one way or another, but let's not make it like it was some benevolent offer, when in reality it was a much closer equivalent of a hostile takeover attempt.
Oh it was definitely designed to screw Nashville over, but it actually worked out well for them assuming Weber stays healthy and playing at a high level into his late 30s.

Old
07-10-2014, 01:42 PM
MickeyMelchiondo

had the Flyers not won 6 of their last 7 meaningless games in '13 they would have [likely] been right at the spot where Nashville picked this future stud...

MickeyMelchiondo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-10-2014, 01:43 PM
Curufinwe

Plenty of room on the Sabres bandwagon if you're a big fan of tanking.

Old
07-10-2014, 02:15 PM
phlocky

Quote:
Originally Posted by PFL615 View Post
Another prime example of other teams trying to unload a collection of ok players for one of Smashvilles talented d men.
Voracek is far from just an okay player. Just based upon their play in the NHL to date, Jake is worth a good bit more than Seth but based on my belief that Seth will become a bonified #1, I'd add a top prospect or a 1st with true 1st line winger we are offering. It's more than a fair over payment. Now I know it doesn't have a future #1 center and if that's the ONLY way you'd trade Seth then that's fine, a deal probably can't be reached (Schenn MAY have low end #1c potential but I wouldn't want to try and sell you on him) but let's not pretend that what I proposed is a paltry offer.

Hell, to get Jones I'd even consider Voracek + top prospect + 1st, but I'd have to take a good hard look at next years prospects, who will likely be available around pick #20, and just how good I think they'll be.

phlocky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-10-2014, 02:26 PM
phlocky

Quote:
Originally Posted by MickeyMelchiondo View Post
had the Flyers not won 6 of their last 7 meaningless games in '13 they would have [likely] been right at the spot where Nashville picked this future stud...
This x 10. I was actually mad when we started winning meaningless games at the end when we were clearly out of it. Not that I wanted them to tank intentionally, I just wanted them to keep playing as crappy as they had all season. They got "hot" when it wouldn't have made a snowballs chance of us making the playoffs.

phlocky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-10-2014, 02:34 PM
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
Beefitor

vCash: 156
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeauxPreds View Post
Couts + a very good prospect would do it. If anyone is going to have to overpay for a Nashville player right now, its philly.
Why? Poile should be thanking Philly for letting him lock up Weber for his career.

07-10-2014, 02:37 PM
NitHeel
Mucker/Grinder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocket of Russia View Post
Both sides over-valuing their trading chips in these proposals - not surprising - but why is it every offer I see involving the Flyers always has 2nd and 3rd round picks thrown on the end of both sides of the proposals. It's like, "if I distract you with useless draft pick wizardry, you'll accept my crumby proposal!"
Is it because you only read Flyers proposals? Because that's pretty much been a HFB staple since I joined. I associate it most with Leaf fans, but everyone's guilty.

NitHeel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-10-2014, 02:43 PM
MickeyMelchiondo

Quote:
Originally Posted by phlocky View Post
This x 10. I was actually mad when we started winning meaningless games at the end when we were clearly out of it. Not that I wanted them to tank intentionally, I just wanted them to keep playing as crappy as they had all season. They got "hot" when it wouldn't have made a snowballs chance of us making the playoffs.
yep-their play resembles a tank job all. year. long and then they start winning games at the worst possible time. Jones is exactly the type of player we'd love to have right now. kinda a microcosm of the flyer's luck or lack thereof over the last couple decades...

Old
07-10-2014, 02:44 PM
Aufheben
The jam must flow...

vCash: 130
****, I thought you wanted Rick Nash.

FML.

07-10-2014, 04:37 PM
Tripod

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aufheben View Post
****, I thought you wanted Rick Nash.

FML.
We do....if you want Vinny and Umberger.

Tripod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-10-2014, 04:46 PM
FlyerFire

Quote:
Kind of shows you, on the other hand, that this team is a WINNER. The last 40 years prove this fact.Sure I wouldve preferred a better pick but it also shows that we are not the Oil, Pens or other frequent tankers

FlyerFire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2014, 11:18 AM
MickeyMelchiondo

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyerFire View Post
Kind of shows you, on the other hand, that this team is a WINNER. The last 40 years prove this fact.Sure I wouldve preferred a better pick but it also shows that we are not the Oil, Pens or other frequent tankers
you're not right. the Flyers haven't won squat in almost 40 years now, and are basically an above-average franchise, that's it

I'd take 2 weeks of "tanking" once they've been eliminated from playoff contention anytime for a chance for a player like Jones.

Old
07-11-2014, 12:37 PM
Curufinwe

Then you should switch to supporting Buffalo, like I said.

Old
07-11-2014, 01:39 PM
Preds33

Quote:
Then you should switch to supporting Buffalo, like I said.
There's a difference in a 2 week tank and a tank for 3 seasons. That said I don't support tanking at all.

Preds33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2014, 02:38 PM
MickeyMelchiondo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Preds33 View Post
There's a difference in a 2 week tank and a tank for 3 seasons.
not unh! Go support Buffalo!

Old
07-11-2014, 02:40 PM
Sniped
Snowballs at Santa

Quote:
I was preaching this during that span too.

If Morin reaches his potential, then all is well. But until then...

Sniped is offline   Reply With Quote