HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Vancouver Canucks
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

As of right now how do you think the regular season will go?

View Poll Results: Payoffs or no playoffs?
Playoffs 140 47.30%
Miss Playoffs 156 52.70%
Voters: 296. You may not vote on this poll

Old
07-11-2014, 10:56 PM
BoHorvat53
Crabs!

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by kanucks25 View Post
My gut feeling says we make the playoffs. 7th or 8th spot.
Do you have a big gut? Because that's a pretty big guess.

BoHorvat53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2014, 11:35 PM
TheKottonmouthed

I think we miss the playoffs, I'm gonna say we are gonna have a good first half, but we will stagger down the run with the young kids pulling bigger minutes as the season progresses, injuries happen and we could have a very youthful lineup that will be learning on the fly.

We will be a team that is fun to watch though and will compete every game regardless of the result.

I'm gonna say a tenth place finish, hopefully we get a good lottery pick and move up some spots in the 2015 draft, and keep stacking the prospect pile with 1st rounders

TheKottonmouthed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2014, 11:36 PM
TheKottonmouthed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Numbers View Post
Central
1. CHI
2. COL
3. STL
4. DAL
5. MIN
6. NSH
7. WPG

Pacific
1. ANA
2. L.A.
3. VAN
4. SJS
5. EDM
6. PHO
7. CGY

Wildcards
DAL
SJS
That actually seems plausible.

TheKottonmouthed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-12-2014, 12:06 AM
canucks52

really hard to predict, so many variables.

Will the sedins bounce back and be able to produce 70-80 pts?
Is Burrows still a top 6 player?
Can Bonino continue his play coming from a stacked Ducks team?
Can Kassian continue his development and be a ~20 goal scorer?
Is Miller still an elite goalie?
Can the defence be built around Edler, and can he bounce back?
How will Willie mesh with the players?

That being said I don't expect all those things to happen but enough will happen to make this a playoff team next year. Not a contender though.

Last edited by canucks52: 07-12-2014 at 12:13 AM.
canucks52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-12-2014, 07:46 PM
Bad Goalie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scouter View Post
Yeah the Stars should do well with that line, but only if they can stay healthy, they aren't exactly the strongest players, in the difficult west you need to be tough as well as skilled.

Arizona just downgraded going from Ribeiro to Gagner, so I expect them to be less of a threat.
Let's not forget who won the Calder Cup this past season. The Stars must have a few call-ups available down on the farm.

Bad Goalie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-12-2014, 07:53 PM
NuxFan09

I don't see how this team makes the playoffs unless Miller has some kind of Vezina-worthy season. Even if the Sedins' numbers improve - which I do expect them to - the Canucks will likely still struggle offensively and it's not like they're a defensive giant like the Bruins or Kings either.

Average team. Not as bad as last year but they won't make the playoffs. I smell a 10th place finish.

A big part of this prediction is that I have zero expectations for Bonino. None. I'm not saying he WILL flop, just saying that I don't expect the player he was in Anaheim. It would be exactly like if Santorelli had been healthy all year last year, approached 50 points, and some other team got suckered into thinking he's a breakout player and made him their 2nd line centre.

NuxFan09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-12-2014, 07:57 PM
BrandonL

There are certainly a lot of question marks about this team entering the season, but I'm optimistic the Canucks will make the playoffs. I think we will see somewhat of a rebound year from guys like Burrows and Edler, and one or two of the young players (Horvat, Jensen, Corrado) make a significant contribution to the team.

That being said, the success of the Canucks season is primarily dependent on the Sedins. If they struggle through 20 game goalless droughts again this season, things are going to get pretty ugly in Vancouver. This team needs them to be consistent top line players again, so hopefully the arrival of a new head coach and legitimate scoring winger (Vrbata) produces a bounce back season for the Sedins.

BrandonL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-12-2014, 08:22 PM
Verviticus

vCash: 50
id be surprised if we dont make the playoffs, barring major injuries

Verviticus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-12-2014, 08:25 PM
Bad Goalie

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeK View Post
For sure. If they were 3 or 4 years younger I wouldn't hesitate to say it will be a bounce back year for the twins. Especially with a new system and a coach that seems to be a player friendly guy. But at 34 years old I believe they're coming to the end of their journey in the NHL. Factor in that skating hasn't ever been a strong attribute, and I have a hard time believing a new system will change the natural cycle that is father time.

I'm not saying they're done as hockey players. I am just saying that I clearly see their decline and they certainly aren't elite players anymore. I hope I'm wrong of course, but I see this season being an emotional one for a lot of fans because the Sedin's are going to once again fall short of the standard we've all been spoiled with and will clearly show the greatness they had as elite level players has in fact gone.

I don't know why it's so taboo for people to talk about and admit though. "Decline" is a natural process for most hockey players and the Sedin's are entering the age where it becomes obvious. Not every player can play the game at the same level deep into their late 30s until they day they hang them up. If we look at those players who play the game and put up numbers all the way till the end they're usually guys who had skating as their #1 attribute. Unfortunately for the twins that isn't the case. They may have the skill set and heart, but that isn't going to matter if they don't have the legs.
Yet these same guys have no trouble saying Miller is declining. Guess it depends on who you bathe your loyalties. They love the Sedins so they are not in decline. They love Lack, who has actually proven nothing in terms of handling the long haul of a #1, and Miller is declining.

Bad Goalie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2014, 12:12 AM
me2
Callng out the crap

vCash: 93
Quote:
Originally Posted by Verviticus View Post
id be surprised if we dont make the playoffs, barring major injuries
Last years team was set to bounce back significantly with health, form and punting Torts, capspace was there to add Vrbata too. I'll be disappointed if they don't make the playoffs, they had the team, tradable assets and bountiful capspace.

Given they choose not the rebuild but rather go again for the playoffs anything less than a good showing in the first round is management fail.

me2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2014, 02:35 AM
timw33

We've got too much talent to be in the bottom-5. We'll likely be right in the bubble mix in that 7-12th range in the West.

timw33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2014, 03:35 AM
Cancuks
100 pt playoff team

I think we're going to see a bizarre year where it takes 100+ pts to make the playoffs in the West. In the East, you'll see teams making the playoffs with 80 pts. There will be a controversy where some will push for a 1-16 league standings playoffs. That said, the Canucks will do okay and get about 95 pts but finish 11th or so and miss.

Cancuks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2014, 03:54 AM
JuniorNelson

Canucks roster still looks weak on paper. If you think the Sedins will continue their decline instead of a resurgence (at thirty-four!) then things look bad. The Sedins were once masters of the open man pass but you need the right guys around them for that to work. They do not have Ehrhoff or Salo or anybody like that presently. They did very well when Carter stood in the crease. Will Vrbata be anything more than another guy on the perimeter?

Somehow it's lost on people that the Sedins were checked into the ground last season. They gave away the puck constantly. How will Vrbata negate close checking? How will any of them overcome middle aged legs?

The Canucks did not upgrade anywhere. Adding older feature players is regarded as folly by conventional wisdom. I hope they are able to overcome this. It really seems remote, though. The previous management left a mess of epic proportions that will take years to correct and longer to live down. At least the current guys are making moves and doing stuff to improve. If they continue to tinker throughout the season it's possible they can get into the post season.

If they view the roster as a work in progress then all is well and patience is needed.

JuniorNelson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2014, 05:34 AM
Fat Tony
Fire Benning

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bad Goalie View Post
Yet these same guys have no trouble saying Miller is declining. Guess it depends on who you bathe your loyalties. They love the Sedins so they are not in decline. They love Lack, who has actually proven nothing in terms of handling the long haul of a #1, and Miller is declining.
I love the Sedins but they are in decline. Signing Miller was a mistake.

Fat Tony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2014, 08:05 AM
Bourne Endeavor
HFBoards: Night's Watch

vCash: 178
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nuclear Salo View Post
1) Anaheim
2) Chicago
3) LA
4) Dallas
5) Colorado
6) Minnesota
7) Vancouver
8) St Louis/SJ

9) San Jose/St Louis
10) Nashville
11) Edmonton
12) Arizona
13) Calgary
14) Winnipeg

I honestly don't see ST. Louis having a good year, and I feel like Niemi will have a terrible year in SJ
Going to have to explain this one. St. Louis was 7th in scoring, 3rd before losing half their offensively players to injuries and 3rd in GA, 7th on the powerplay and 2nd on penalty killing. And all they did was add Paul Stastny. How exactly are they going to go from nearly winning the President's Trophy to nearly missing the playoffs?

Bourne Endeavor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2014, 08:51 AM
Lundface*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bourne Endeavor View Post
Going to have to explain this one. St. Louis was 7th in scoring, 3rd before losing half their offensively players to injuries and 3rd in GA, 7th on the powerplay and 2nd on penalty killing. And all they did was add Paul Stastny. How exactly are they going to go from nearly winning the President's Trophy to nearly missing the playoffs?
Easy..they lost Miller who was uber amazing in goal.

I'm sure you would have ridiculed anyone predicting Colorado to win their division last season as well, or Van finishing where they did before the season...ish happens.

Lundface* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2014, 10:06 AM
LolClarkson*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scouter View Post
Yeah the Stars should do well with that line, but only if they can stay healthy, they aren't exactly the strongest players, in the difficult west you need to be tough as well as skilled.

Arizona just downgraded going from Ribeiro to Gagner, so I expect them to be less of a threat.
Umm. The Sedins are tough as nails. Iron man much ? They are a ***** to muscle off the puck.

If this Vrbata thing works, watch out. We might be buyers at the deadline

LolClarkson* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2014, 10:29 AM
NYVanfan

Quote:
That may be true. But at 34 yrs old, and looking at the amount of hockey they've played over the last 10 years, do you really expect them to find some magical missing gear? Even before they ran out of gas they still looked awfully slow out there. They have been declining for over 2 seasons now. They are not the players they once were and the sooner some of us allow that reality to set in the easier it's going to be. Placing the blame solely on Torts is BS. The twins, along with many other key players, simply got old.
I was under the impression that theyve played relatively less hockey over the past 10 years, vs other career top liners, no?

I mean they werent even top line guys until 6-7 years ago, and they never PK'd until last year...

I think the Canucks core problem is that they never gave them enough goal support. Kesler and Burrows were always the next best guys offensively and theyre more elite checkers than pure goal scorers. Vrbata is the best pure O ufa player we've acquired since Messier...

If Bonino, Vey, and the other kids can actually contribute offensively w regularity we could see a whole different team next year ...our GA even last lousy year was better than Dallas and close to Colorado, even Chicago.. Miller should stabilize that a bit and i dont see Garrison as a big defensive loss.

I think Ana, LA, Chi, StL are undeniably better than us. Probably SJ too, but Col, Minny, Dal have weaknesses and can be surpassed. Im cautiously optimistic on playoff chances.

NYVanfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2014, 10:34 AM
hockeywoot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ski Powder View Post
I did the math shortly after we signed Vrbata, and if everyone on our team has roughly career average years in terms of point production, we should be roughly 10th to 15th in terms of goals for in the league.

Considering our defence was considered terrible last year and we ended up 15th in goals against in the league, if that slightly improves (with the signing of Miller and an improvement in team defence), I think we have a 50/50 chance in terms of beating a team like Minnesota who is in the same ballpark in terms of goal differential.

It's a really basic way of looking at things but it's a decent predictor in terms of positioning. I think it comes down to which team can go on a long hot streak, avoid a long cold streak, and avoid big long-term injuries to their key players.

I think people underestimate the difference a coaching change can make. This team is not nearly as bad as they were last year as a good majority had or nearly had career-worst years. If Desjardins is as good as he's hyped up to be, he should have no problems getting our team back to their average (and expected) level of play.

I'm just hoping that if we don't make the playoffs, this will be the year the lottery draft finally takes a team that nearly made the playoffs: us (see: Cleveland Cavaliers in the NBA).

No point in stressing.
Some good points here. I honestly feel people are being somewhat pessimistic around here. Won't be easy, but we'll be the playoff contention mix. (6-9 spot)

Anaheim
Chicago
Los Angeles
St. Louis
San Jose

Dallas

Colorado
Minnesota
Vancouver.........I think these 3 teams will battle out for last 2 spots.

Nashville
Winnipeg
Calgary
Edmonton

Turmoil with Torts resulting in a sharp decline in most players' production, Luongo/Kesler trade drama, riding a rookie goaltender into the ground....

If the off-season moves fix these problems, I think we'll be fine.

Last edited by hockeywoot: 07-13-2014 at 10:59 AM.
hockeywoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2014, 02:47 PM
MikeK

vCash: 55
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYVanfan View Post
I was under the impression that theyve played relatively less hockey over the past 10 years, vs other career top liners, no?

I mean they werent even top line guys until 6-7 years ago, and they never PK'd until last year...
Doesn't matter if they were 1st or 2nd line players. It's the amount of minutes they log. The Sedin's have logged a lot of minutes over the past 10 years. When a lot of players were hitting the golf courses or family vacations they were getting ready for round 1 of a playoff series. They have also logged a lot of international time playing for Sweden as well. Make no mistake about it, the Sedin's have played a tun of hockey the past decade.

Like I've said, I do not believe they are done as NHL hockey players yet. I just feel they are not elite front line players anymore and that is what will screw us. We need the 09-10 Sedins to have a chance and that just isn't going to happen.

MikeK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2014, 02:51 PM
Rex Banner
Custom User Title

It's all on Daniel if you ask me. If he regains form we're in the playoffs. If not we finish 9th in the west.

Rex Banner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-14-2014, 10:42 PM
Archangel

vCash: 252
Vancouver will finish 4th in the division and make the playoffs

Archangel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-14-2014, 10:44 PM
Wilch
Unregistered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by HC Davos View Post
Umm. The Sedins are tough as nails. Iron man much ? They are a ***** to muscle off the puck.

If this Vrbata thing works, watch out. We might be buyers at the deadline
Yeah no.

Wilch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-14-2014, 11:43 PM
Nucker101
#TankNation

Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeywoot View Post
Some good points here. I honestly feel people are being somewhat pessimistic around here. Won't be easy, but we'll be the playoff contention mix. (6-9 spot)

Anaheim
Chicago
Los Angeles
St. Louis
San Jose

Dallas

Colorado
Minnesota
Vancouver.........I think these 3 teams will battle out for last 2 spots.

Nashville
Winnipeg
Calgary
Edmonton

Turmoil with Torts resulting in a sharp decline in most players' production, Luongo/Kesler trade drama, riding a rookie goaltender into the ground....

If the off-season moves fix these problems, I think we'll be fine.

Solid way to break it down. I do think Minny is the strongest bet out of the third group, Vanek is a damn good regular season scorer to add. Colorado IMO could regress for sure. It's gonna come down to them and us IMO, but this is so hard to predict now since major injuries will happen and trades will be made.

You missed Arizona, they're usually decent since Tippett is a strong coach, but I'd still put them in the bottom tier. I also think Edmonton can potentially finally take that step toward at least working there way out of the basement and into the COL/MIN/VAN tier.

Nucker101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-15-2014, 12:12 AM
LolClarkson*

Quote:
Doesn't matter if they were 1st or 2nd line players. It's the amount of minutes they log. The Sedin's have logged a lot of minutes over the past 10 years. When a lot of players were hitting the golf courses or family vacations they were getting ready for round 1 of a playoff series. They have also logged a lot of international time playing for Sweden as well. Make no mistake about it, the Sedin's have played a tun of hockey the past decade.

Like I've said, I do not believe they are done as NHL hockey players yet. I just feel they are not elite front line players anymore and that is what will screw us. We need the 09-10 Sedins to have a chance and that just isn't going to happen.
Daniel Alfredsson got 40 goals when he was 34 years old. This write off of the Sedins is hilarious

LolClarkson* is offline   Reply With Quote