HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Rumors & Proposal Thread XXXVI: MacT I'd Like a Patrik Berglund With a Side of Fries

Closed Thread

Old
07-10-2014, 03:16 PM
Soundwave

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hall2Nuge2Ebs View Post
I can't believe MacT didn't address the 2C position considering we have one of the worst center depths in the league. Instead of signing Pouliot for 4 mil he could have signed Jokinen and Raymond for roughly 1.5-2 mil more...
He could have signed Jokinen anyway. I agree, that was a mistake. Mac T isn't that great of a GM. He makes some good moves, but makes almost an equal number of bad moves or poor non-moves.

We should have hired Jim Nill, but Lowe is too far up his own rear end to hire a true outsider.

Old
07-10-2014, 03:19 PM
Dabomb

Why the eff did we trade away Jarett Stoll again?

I know most people are opposed to handing Draisaitl a free spot on the team this year, but I dunno why but a part of me believes that he's gonna surprise everyone and show that he belongs on this team. He's got all the tools, no reason to believe that he can't do as well as recent top picks who made their team after the draft. Maybe its wishful thinking on my part.. but maybe its smart to have a wait and see approach to see how he does before making any trades to fill that hole.

Old
07-10-2014, 03:21 PM
ExOilerFan

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Soundwave View Post
He could have signed Jokinen anyway. I agree, that was a mistake. Mac T isn't that great of a GM. He makes some good moves, but makes almost an equal number of bad moves or poor non-moves.

We should have hired Jim Nill, but Lowe is too far up his own rear end to hire a true outsider.
I guess he is an improvement over Tambellini at least. Baby steps
The Red Wings are one of the most successful organizations in sports. If I was hiring a GM/coach it would be from their organization. How many years have they been in the playoffs? 20? That is unreal

Old
07-10-2014, 03:22 PM
Soundwave

Quote:
I guess he is an improvement over Tambellini at least. Baby steps
Detroit is one of the most successful organizations in sports. If I was hiring a GM/coach it would be from their organization. How many years have they been in the playoffs? 20? That is unreal
Yeah woudn't surprise me if Dallas is a solid team for the next 10+ years too, without the benefit of any top 3 picks themselves.

Old
07-10-2014, 03:22 PM
oilz89

Quote:

You think Jokinen would sign here?

Did we know before the Perron trade that it was going to happen? There weren't any rumours or anything during then was there?

Old
07-10-2014, 03:24 PM
Soundwave

Quote:
Originally Posted by oilz89 View Post

Did we know before the Perron trade that it was going to happen? There weren't any rumours or anything during then was there?
We have the cap space to offer $500k more or so than what he got with no fuss.

Jokinen actually liked playing in Calgary and signed willingly in Winnipeg (lol), I don't see why he'd be opposed to signing here. If they went at him as aggressively as they went at the likes of Nikitin and Pouliot on day 1, he'd be signed IMO.

Mac T/Lowe *always* go into a season with some glaring hole, even in 05-06 we decided to see if Conklin was the answer which nearly cost us a playoff spot.

They do this all the time, and this point it's not even surprising.

Old
Paralyzer008

If it's been two weeks and he gets desperate, I'll take Derek Roy for a year at cheap.

Old
ExOilerFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by oilz89 View Post

Well he has signed with Calgary and Winnipeg which suggests to me that he doesn't mind playing in a Canadian city

Old
Parch

A bit sad when AHL level talent on waivers is expected to fill Oiler 2C and 3C positions, but whatcha gonna do? Once again, I just don't see playoff possibilities being that realistic, so choking down another year of the rebuild kool-aid is probably still the smartest plan. More development still required because NHL talent depth isn't there, and trading away a blue chip defensive prospect at this point still isn't going to be enough to reach the next level IMO.

Old
07-10-2014, 03:34 PM
djdub
#6cups

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parch View Post
A bit sad when AHL level talent on waivers is expected to fill Oiler 2C and 3C positions, but whatcha gonna do? Once again, I just don't see playoff possibilities being that realistic, so choking down another year of the rebuild kool-aid is probably still the smartest plan. More development still required because NHL talent depth isn't there, and trading away a blue chip defensive prospect at this point still isn't going to be enough to reach the next level IMO.
As long as a bi-product of that happening is the firing of Eakins, I'm okay with it.

Old
07-10-2014, 03:34 PM
Parch

Quote:
Mac T/Lowe *always* go into a season with some glaring hole.
Where the lack of depth results in rushing prospects.

Old
07-10-2014, 03:40 PM
oilz89

Quote:
Well he has signed with Calgary and Winnipeg which suggests to me that he doesn't mind playing in a Canadian city
Yeah there is that... but its Edmonton. Not many free agents liked playing here. Remember Belanger

Old
07-10-2014, 03:42 PM
ExOilerFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parch View Post
Where the lack of depth results in rushing prospects.
I've seen this happen too many times in the last number of years

Old
07-10-2014, 03:44 PM
Moose Coleman

Quote:
We have the cap space to offer $500k more or so than what he got with no fuss.

Jokinen actually liked playing in Calgary and signed willingly in Winnipeg (lol), I don't see why he'd be opposed to signing here. If they went at him as aggressively as they went at the likes of Nikitin and Pouliot on day 1, he'd be signed IMO.
Y'know, sometimes players choose to sign where they sign because of factors other than money or weather. Jokinen wants to play on a playoff team, which Nashville is closer to being than Edmonton. He's played with Pekke Rinne for Finland. He also said he was interested in playing under Laviolette. Plenty of possibilities for a guy who probably had a few options to choose from.

Old
07-10-2014, 03:44 PM
Hockey Nightmare
Ex-hockey fan

If nothing happens before October, it will confirm to me that the oilers never seem to learn. It was the same last season. Zero depth at C. Now this season it's magically supposed to be better? Why? Because of an unproven 19 year old who was just drafted? Because Yakimov and Khaira are ready? Because guys who haven't been able to establish themselves in the past (Arcobello, Lander) are all of a sudden worthy of NHL minutes on a second line?

Old
07-10-2014, 03:46 PM
Moose Coleman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hockey Nightmare View Post
If nothing happens before October, it will confirm to me that the oilers never seem to learn. It was the same last season. Zero depth at C. Now this season it's magically supposed to be better? Why? Because of an unproven 19 year old who was just drafted? Because Yakimov and Khaira are ready? Because guys who haven't been able to establish themselves in the past (Arcobello, Lander) are all of a sudden worthy of NHL minutes on a second line?
Do you really think they are unaware of the need for a vet C after they just spent the off season adding veteran players to the blueline and bottom six?

Old
07-10-2014, 03:47 PM
joestevens29

Wasn't it confirmed we were after Perrault? Is it not possible we tried to lure other UFA centers, but no luck?

Old
07-10-2014, 03:50 PM
joestevens29

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dabomb View Post
Why the eff did we trade away Jarett Stoll again?

I know most people are opposed to handing Draisaitl a free spot on the team this year, but I dunno why but a part of me believes that he's gonna surprise everyone and show that he belongs on this team. He's got all the tools, no reason to believe that he can't do as well as recent top picks who made their team after the draft. Maybe its wishful thinking on my part.. but maybe its smart to have a wait and see approach to see how he does before making any trades to fill that hole.
You make that trade everyday of the week. It's unfortunate that Stoll and Greene are two guys we can use now, but when they are the cost of getting an elite offensive d-man you really have no choice.

Old
07-10-2014, 03:59 PM
oilerfan17

Quote:
Originally Posted by joestevens29 View Post
You make that trade everyday of the week. It's unfortunate that Stoll and Greene are two guys we can use now, but when they are the cost of getting an elite offensive d-man you really have no choice.
Yeah, that was a good trade. It was a shame that Visnovsky wasn't happy here, and it's a shame that Quinn couldn't use him properly, but that was a good trade. Definitely would do it again. How good would Visnovsky look on this team?

Old
07-10-2014, 04:00 PM
misfit

Quote:
Exactly. And Visnovsky was more than just an offensive d-man. He was probably our best defenseman on the defensive side of the puck as well.

The crime wasn't in trading Greene and Stoll for Visnovsky. The crime was doing nothing to replace them. Stoll especially (keep in mind this was the same offseason that we let Reasoner walk as well).

07-10-2014, 04:00 PM
Parch

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moose Coleman View Post
Y'know, sometimes players choose to sign where they sign because of factors other than money.
It would be interesting to see just how many FA's turn down better offers than what they sign for. The assumption that players accept the best offer is probably more wrong that right.

Old
07-10-2014, 04:02 PM
Spawn

Quote:
Wasn't it confirmed we were after Perrault? Is it not possible we tried to lure other UFA centers, but no luck?
Trying doesn't count in a multi million dollar business. If you can't get it done via free agency you need to get it done via trade. If you can't get it done there. You've failed. And that's that. Doesn't matter how hard you tried.

Old
07-10-2014, 04:02 PM
OilDrop37

vCash: 4433
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paralyzer008 View Post
If it's been two weeks and he gets desperate, I'll take Derek Roy for a year at cheap.
I wouldn't, he's done. Arco would be just as effective...which is sad

Old
07-10-2014, 04:07 PM
Paralyzer008

Quote:
Originally Posted by OilDrop37 View Post
I wouldn't, he's done. Arco would be just as effective...which is sad
Roy at least has NHL experience.

My expectations are really low at this point so it's a game of would you rather...

RNH, Roy, Draisaitl/Arcobello, Gordon?

or

RNH, Arcobello, Draisaitl, Gordon?

Old
07-10-2014, 04:08 PM
Booya42
ლ(ಠ益ಠლ) What the...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moose Coleman View Post
Do you really think they are unaware of the need for a vet C after they just spent the off season adding veteran players to the blueline and bottom six?
I had to laugh at this...I mean do people seriously think that management is that unaware? Seriously? Especially after the fact that MacT was even quoted as saying that they'd still like to get a #2 C?

This board sometimes...

Closed Thread