HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

MLB Discussion Thread Part IV: Tanaka Injured

Closed Thread

Old
08-24-2014, 08:24 PM
darko

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rust Heisenberg View Post

LF and SS additions. .
I thought Reynolds was the future.

Old
08-24-2014, 10:09 PM
Rust Heisenberg

Quote:
Originally Posted by darko View Post
I do believe so. Would he not constitute as an addition? He's not on the 40 man roster. And Alderson would have to commit to him being a part of the future to add him there or risk losing him.

But it would be foolish of me to say that Alderson shouldn't explore other opportunities, if they came along.

Castro, Russell, Owings...etc.

There needs to be an addition to that position, whether it be through Reynolds or someone else. Either way, there needs to proactivity to fixing those holes... whereas Alderson hasn't shown that on various occasions.

Old
08-24-2014, 11:08 PM
SA16
Sixstring

Quote:
I think he said something along the line of "This isn't fun for me. This isn't fun for the team." a couple of days ago.

Shut him down and fire Terry.

Terry is what he is, a slightly below .500 manager. We could be .500 w/o him at the helm, this year. Somehow we managed to be right back as we were last year and the year before that.

We'll end up w/ the 10 draft spot, and try to bargain hunt...once again.

I believe Colon will be traded by the end of the week and that Montero will slide in immediately and take over his spot.

Reports came out that Syndergaard won't pitch for us this year. Fine.
Wouldn't mind shutting down Wright and appraising Campbelll. I've liked him this year, if he finishes the year out well he could be a great bench option for us moving forward.

Hell i'd even try out Flores at 3b to try and boost his value. No use in keeping him w/o a position.

Two key acquisitions need to be made this winter. LF and SS.

Colon's 11 mill and Youngs 7 mill open up 18 mill. I believe Bay's salary was deferred for this year, as well (another 21 mill or so off the books). Somewhere, Johan's buyout is also either being paid off or looming (that's about 5 mill, I believe).

Bay's 21 and Colon/Young's 18 creates 39 mill in cap flexibility.

We have room to add. Wouldn't mind adding Kemp.
While there is no real evidence on manager contributions there is plenty to show that the spread in "manager WAR" would be nowhere near enough to take a team that is 9 games under .500 to .500.

You can't just shut Wright down for no reason and he wants to play.

Flores value is never going to be very high because he's not good defensively and he's really not a very good hitter. He's basically destined to be a utility player.

And lastly Kemp really hasn't been good for several years now and he is hurt a ton. He also has an awful contract. The FA OF class this year is horrible as well.

Old
08-24-2014, 11:26 PM
Zil

Quote:
Don't encourage him.

Old
08-25-2014, 08:39 AM
nyr2k2
Can't Beat Him

vCash: 50
Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by SA16 View Post
While there is no real evidence on manager contributions there is plenty to show that the spread in "manager WAR" would be nowhere near enough to take a team that is 9 games under .500 to .500.

You can't just shut Wright down for no reason and he wants to play.

Flores value is never going to be very high because he's not good defensively and he's really not a very good hitter. He's basically destined to be a utility player.

And lastly Kemp really hasn't been good for several years now and he is hurt a ton. He also has an awful contract. The FA OF class this year is horrible as well.
1. Agreed. We're probably not a .500 team with a "perfect" manager, though I think we could certainly be a few games better. It's so hard, though, to quantify these thing. When Terry uses a pitcher as a pinch-hitter and then ends up leaving all the position players on the bench, how do you quantify that? Just as an example. It's a stupid move but I don't know that you can ever put into numbers how that affects a game. Thing is, no manager will ever be perfect--even the "great" managers do things that make the average observer scratch their head.

2. You're right. It's just frustrating to see a guy struggling so badly while playing through a bunch of nagging injuries. The guy isn't right, and could probably benefit from taking a week or two just to rest and clear his mind. However he's the captain, and obviously has no intention of sitting out if he feels capable of playing. When I posed the question about why we don't just sit him out, it's just the resigned fan in me. I get that it's probably not realistic.

3. Flores hasn't shown to be a very good hitter at the ML level, however, he has hit everywhere in the minors. I still maintain that if he were moved to 2B full time that his bat would come around. However, he is NOT a utility guy by any means. For him to be a utility guy he'd need to be serviceable defensively at a couple of positions, particularly given that he hasn't yet shown he can hit ML pitching. I don't really see him succeeding in this organization though. He needs to go to a bad AL team that would give him ABs exclusively at 2B and DH (night-in, night-out) where he could focus on his offense.

It's just pain.
Old
08-25-2014, 10:21 AM
Nyrvana

The best thing about the Mets season is that Duda has established himself as their 1B. Whether he continues will remain to be seen, but it doesn't look like we will need to worry about that position in the offseason. That's huge.

Old
08-25-2014, 03:00 PM
nyr2k2
Can't Beat Him

Awards:
Lamar Johnson on Wright:

Quote:
When your shoulder is hurt, it’s really tough. It’s hurt in his left shoulder and that’s where your swing starts, with your left side, your left hand getting to the ball. It's been tough because he’s been trying to play through that.
http://espn.go.com/blog/new-york/met...ndering-wright

Put the guy on the 15 day DL. If he still has discomfort at the end of it, you shut him down for the year.

Old
08-25-2014, 06:44 PM
Rust Heisenberg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zil View Post
Don't encourage him.
All I need is to be able to connect Matt Reynolds through the 6 degrees of Kevin Bacon and i'm rolling.

Old
08-25-2014, 08:43 PM
Lundsanity30

Pineda looks like the stud they thought they were getting.. Health is the only issue with him. filthy filthy stuff.

Old
08-25-2014, 09:28 PM
Zil

Quote:
All I need is to be able to connect Matt Reynolds through the 6 degrees of Kevin Bacon and i'm rolling.
Some day Reynolds will find his true calling: Traveling to uptight towns and teaching their residents the joy of dancing.

Old
08-25-2014, 09:59 PM
17futurecap

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lundsanity30 View Post
Pineda looks like the stud they thought they were getting.. Health is the only issue with him. filthy filthy stuff.
Probably best win of the season, funny to say that a win vs the Royals is, but I think it's true.

Old
08-25-2014, 10:20 PM
darko

Quote:
Originally Posted by 17futurecap View Post
Probably best win of the season, funny to say that a win vs the Royals is, but I think it's true.
It's right up there for sure. Royals have been hot lately.

Old
08-25-2014, 10:29 PM
Lundsanity30

It would be HUGE if the Yankees could slot Pineda into the #2 spot (they can as long as he's healthy), next year and going forward that they don't have to spend on another long term deal on a guy like Lester, and could maybe go after someone on a shorter term deal like Shields or something.

Old
08-26-2014, 06:48 AM
Fletch

Quote:
It would be HUGE if the Yankees could slot Pineda into the #2 spot (they can as long as he's healthy), next year and going forward that they don't have to spend on another long term deal on a guy like Lester, and could maybe go after someone on a shorter term deal like Shields or something.
who's number one? Free agent signing to be named later?

Old
08-26-2014, 09:39 AM
darko

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fletch View Post
who's number one? Free agent signing to be named later?
Tanaka

Old
08-26-2014, 09:49 AM
surf
Wheres the Reggae?

They will just buy Lester in the off season

Old
08-26-2014, 09:52 AM
Lundsanity30

Quote:
Tanaka
this

Old
08-26-2014, 09:53 AM
Fletch

Quote:
Tanaka
I'm just hoping he pitches next season. Small tears become bigger. Risky move not having surgery now.

Old
08-26-2014, 09:54 AM
Lundsanity30

Quote:
Originally Posted by surf View Post
They will just buy Lester in the off season
That's the point im making. If Pineda is ready for the #2 they wouldn't need to spend millions on LesTer

Old
08-26-2014, 09:57 AM
surf
Wheres the Reggae?

How can you guys count on Pineda to stay healthy and be a number 2?

Old
08-26-2014, 09:59 AM
RGY
(Jagr68NYR94Leetch)

Quote:
That's the point im making. If Pineda is ready for the #2 they wouldn't need to spend millions on LesTer
I'd prefer James Shields over Lester

Old
08-26-2014, 10:28 AM
Zil

A-Rod comes back on the books next year. I have no clue if that limits their budget in any way, but that's another $21 million to deal with. Presumably the Yankees will have to pay a shortstop too so I would guess they won't save much on Jeter retiring. I'd be kind of stunned if they devoted their money to pitching when their offense is so bad.

Old
08-26-2014, 12:39 PM
Kovacic
Arsenal 4 Ever

Quote:
A-Rod comes back on the books next year. I have no clue if that limits their budget in any way, but that's another $21 million to deal with. Presumably the Yankees will have to pay a shortstop too so I would guess they won't save much on Jeter retiring. I'd be kind of stunned if they devoted their money to pitching when their offense is so bad.
Which is why I think the Yankees may pull off a deal for both Cargo and Tulowitzki, even though I don't want it to happen.

Old
08-26-2014, 12:51 PM
Fletch

Quote:
I don't even know if the Yankees know what their budget will be, nor do I know if they care. Think part of it is how they finish out the season. But if the Rangers are happy with their third base situation currently, move A-Rod back to his natural SS position. Insofar as spending money on pitching vs hitting...their starting pitching is pretty tenuous. Sabathia can be a fifth starter or a first starter. Kuroda is likely done, or just old. Pineda can't seem to get through a season. Tanaka probably should have TJ surgery. While hitting isn't any better, pitching, outside the 'pen, will be very unpredictable.

Old
08-26-2014, 01:16 PM
Zil

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mint View Post
Which is why I think the Yankees may pull off a deal for both Cargo and Tulowitzki, even though I don't want it to happen.
Using what assets? The injuries lower their value, but Colorado's not going to sell low on those guys. The Yankee farm system is not good.

Closed Thread