HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

3 Positives from Oilers camp.

Closed Thread

Old
10-05-2003, 05:43 AM
Lowetide

vCash: 500
3 Positives from Oilers camp.

I stole this from the Bruins board, thought it was a good idea. 3 things that you feel were positive coming out of camp.

1. Hemsky. Watching him is like being 10 years old on Christmas morning. Anything seems possible.

2. Comrie. Oilers management in the past has aired their dirty laundry in public, and it looked like Comrie's situation was beyond repair just a little while ago. However, when no one talks, things cool down and (maybe) there's a window of opportunity. Lowe/MacT/Winter didn't fan the flames, and hopefully there's a contract soon.

3. Bergeron. I almost picked Isbister, then thought of Chimera, but this guy appears to have emerged from the crowd. When an undrafted guy pushes hard and then takes advantage of his opportunity, it says something about that player. Still a maniac in his own end, but has earned his shot.

Old
10-05-2003, 05:51 AM
speeds

I'm gonna go in 2 different directions here Lowetide, though I don't dislike any of your picks.

1) Isbister - preseason is nice, but the real games start soon. Regardless, if he plays like this, that trade might well turn out for the Oilers.

2) Sarno - without GuyF's Prendergast interview it would have been a total shock to see Sarno still here at this point. Even with it, it's fairly surprising. good on him.

3) Hemsky

Old
10-05-2003, 06:08 AM
oilers_guy_eddie

1) eh, why buck the trend. Hemsky's the one guy that's consistently drawn raves.

2) Salo has been said to have looked sharp so far... and Tommy having a strong year is the one thing that'll make or break this team.

3) Torres. Another disappointing camp by Rita is one of the top stories... but on the flip side, an intense display from Torres is one of the reasons that Rita's in the AHL again. He brings an element that's been lacking for a while.

Old
10-05-2003, 06:14 AM
Mr Sakich

You are obviously a very bright fellow lowetide because it appears that you and I think alike. I came to this forum to start this exact thread. My three:

1 salo - without great goaltending, the oilers have no chance at any success. Salo came to camp in shape and prepared to put last year behind him.A good goalie has the same impact on a team's fortunes as a superstar forward and salo has proven that he can be a good goalie.

2 hemsky - normally, a kid blossoming like this would be the top story but salo's rebound is enough to get us into the playoffs. I luv this guy's attitude and ethic. We are seeing something very special and I am enjoying it.

3 torres - he is almost a two for one deal in that when he gets things stirred up, laraque gets into the game as well. If janne plays hurt for his customairy 25 games this year, lowe will have won another one. There is a reason why they tried to trade up and draft him 4 years ago.

edit - dooohhh - oilers guy eddie, I have to learn to type faster because it appears that I have plagarized your list.

Old
10-05-2003, 06:18 AM
oilers_guy_eddie

Quote:
Originally Posted by thor dyck
edit - dooohhh - oilers guy eddie, I have to learn to type faster because it appears that I have plagarized your list.
Great minds think alike.

Old
10-05-2003, 06:34 AM
gretzky2kurri

New Rotax Thor?

Old
10-05-2003, 06:49 AM
theoil

Lots of good things coming out of this camp and I agree with all of the above. For me Salo and Hemsky are 1 and 1a. Hemsky takes your breath away and we need Salo to return to form. Bergeron, Isbister, Torres and Chimera have to be on the #2 list somewhere and all have their merits but I wanted to mention something a little bit different.

For me this is the camp where I see the Oiler management/coaching come of age. The practices and organization looked much more polished and professional. It was almost like after Lowe cooled off and stopped pointing fingers last spring he sat down and decided that if he wanted more from everybody else he needed to lead by example.

We saw Peeters working with Salo in the off season, Simpson hired, Peeters running goalie drills at camp, skating drills by a professional skating coach. IMO Lowe and MacTavish took the training wheels off this year and are ready to assume their position as one of the top management / coaching tandems in the league and that is my choice for #3

Old
10-05-2003, 07:12 AM
Oilhitch

1. Hemsky. Need I say any more. I can't wait to watch him with more and more confidence. He is going to put up some great numbers this year.

2. Torres. Every time I see this kid on the ice I see the momentum shift to the Oilers. He looked great in training camp and throughout the pre-season. I was glad to see him come from the Niinimaa trade.

3. Isbister. Again the Niinimaa trade. If he starts to play on a consistent basis the Niinamaa trade will be great for the Oilers. I watched him at one of the training camps and I thought he looked great.

Old
10-05-2003, 07:40 AM
Mr Sakich

Quote:
Originally Posted by gretzky2kurri
New Rotax Thor?
nope, it is a 98 SummitX. I have modified it quite a bit and it is a real screamer. Jaws Performance pipes, gutted air box, handle bar risers, camoplast 144" track with 2 inch lugs, rail extension kit, extroverts, custom paint job....

(if my wife asks, this is the way they come from the factory)

Old
10-05-2003, 07:48 AM
Hemmer

1. Isbister - The performance of Torres has been up to billing so far, and to me the big question surrounding the Janne trade is this guy right here. If he turns into a 20/20 guy, its a steal, as long as Torres is no worse than a third-liner. Izzy has brought a real attitude to the game he plays, and is forcing the issue with the puck in game situations, using his body to dominate down low. I wasn't sure how he was going to turn out, but it looks like the coaching staff might have got to this kid.

2. Salo - Looks like he worked hard, came to camp with something to prove. Looking forward to seeing if Tommy Gun can steal us a few this year.

3. Bergeron - This guy has the attitude and work ethic of someone who plays in the NHL for a long time. Let's see if his body can keep up over the regular season. Earned his spot with flying colors IMO, and was the Oilers 4th Best d-man over the preseason along with Brewer, Smith and Semenov.

Hemsky is no suprise

Old
10-05-2003, 09:25 AM
gretzky2kurri

Quote:
Originally Posted by thor dyck
nope, it is a 98 SummitX. I have modified it quite a bit and it is a real screamer. Jaws Performance pipes, gutted air box, handle bar risers, camoplast 144" track with 2 inch lugs, rail extension kit, extroverts, custom paint job....

(if my wife asks, this is the way they come from the factory)
I just sold a 98 Summit. Not quite as tricked out though. In fact not at all.

Now if I can figure out how to put some vortec heads and a high-rise with 4 bbl on my new Bayliner boat......I'll be laughing.....lol.

Old
10-05-2003, 05:46 PM
Oi'll say!

Brewer - I only saw the last period of the Calgary game but big Eric looked very sharp, and he is one of the Oilers' keys to success this season.

Semenov - He looked like a tower of power last night, I am very excited about the kind of season he might have.

The big three (Chimmer, Izzy, Raffi) - It would really be something else if all three of these guys contributed at their projected rates this season, we could get maybe 50 goals from them? If those guys earn decent icetime the Oilers will suddenly be considered a big, physical team.

Old
10-05-2003, 06:29 PM
MrMackey

1. Isbister - looks like he's ready to contribute in a meaningful way.

2. Brewer - could he pick up where he left off in the 2001 playoffs? This preseason makes it look like he could.

3. Hemsky - was going to go with Salmo, even though he didn't make the cut because he really surprised me, but have to go with Hemmer. How could I not!!!

Closed Thread