HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Florida Panthers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Goaltending future lacks certainty for Florida Panthers

Old
07-12-2014, 11:42 AM
coopdaloop123

vCash: 500
Goaltending future lacks certainty for Florida Panthers

Article about the 4 goaltenders invited to this month's d-camp and how the position is wide open given that the team lacks a surefire No. 1 guy of the future.

Quotes from Brittain, Stevens and Skrudland.

http://msn.foxsports.com/florida/sto...anthers-071214

coopdaloop123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-12-2014, 11:50 AM
pb1300
#CatsAreComing

Send a message via Yahoo to pb1300
Well I dont think we have to worry about goaltending for the next few seasons. We can always add goaltending in the upcoming drafts, and through free agency/trades. I would have liked to see them go after Demko this year, but we could always address our depth next summer.

pb1300 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-12-2014, 11:59 AM
coopdaloop123

Quote:
Originally Posted by pb1300 View Post
Well I dont think we have to worry about goaltending for the next few seasons. We can always add goaltending in the upcoming drafts, and through free agency/trades. I would have liked to see them go after Demko this year, but we could always address our depth next summer.
Yep, always time. However, considering most of these guys are drafted at 18, the Panthers should start getting some sort of idea of who could potentially be that guy in the future. Personally, just based on potential I think Cowley could make it someday if he keeps developing. He's far from a sure thing though.

Old
07-12-2014, 12:10 PM
Boothinator
@MrBoothinator

vCash: 310
What's the deal with Houser?

Boothinator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-12-2014, 12:22 PM
coopdaloop123

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boothinator View Post
What's the deal with Houser?
Pretty inconsistent in SA last season. Will probably be backing up Dan Ellis this year. He's been ok, but hardly looks like the next big thing, yet.

Old
07-12-2014, 01:30 PM
Erick*

The Panthers goaltending future looks just fine to me. Roberto Luongo is pretty good at his job fortunately.

Erick* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-12-2014, 02:09 PM
SoupyFIN
Global Moderator
#CatsAren'tComing

vCash: 50
I think it's just fine and on par with league average, not a lot of teams have a sure looking future number 1 in the AHL:

Boston, Subban.
Dallas, Campbell.
Tampa, Vasilevsky (maybe, considering he's yet to play a single game in NA).

The rest is just okay looking AHL goalies, that might never reach the higher level. Predicting a goalie's ceiling is a real crapshoot and writing off any of the guys that are currently in the system would be foolish.

SoupyFIN is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-12-2014, 02:18 PM
CHGoalie27
GWAAARRRRRRR

Honestly, getting the going-to-retire-here-Luongo back kinda halted our chances of getting any kind of current proven future talent type, like Cam Talbot…this uncertainty will stay an uncertainty for a couple years IMO.

CHGoalie27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-12-2014, 02:19 PM
CHGoalie27
GWAAARRRRRRR

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoupyFIN View Post
I think it's just fine and on par with league average, not a lot of teams have a sure looking future number 1 in the AHL:

Boston, Subban.
Dallas, Campbell.

The rest is just okay looking AHL goalies, that might never reach the higher level. Predicting a goalie's ceiling is a real crapshoot and writing off any of the guys that are currently in the system would be foolish.
Aside from a few guy that probably should be starting instead of backing up, no kidding!

Why the hell did we let Timmy go anyway???

Old
07-12-2014, 02:29 PM
Dread Clawz
LAWSonic Boom

Our goaltending pipeline looks a lot better than it did last year, but it definitely needs improvement.

Dread Clawz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-12-2014, 02:31 PM
Dread Clawz
LAWSonic Boom

Quote:
Originally Posted by CHGoalie27 View Post
Aside from a few guy that probably should be starting instead of backing up, no kidding!

Why the hell did we let Timmy go anyway???
He didn't want to be here.

Old
07-12-2014, 03:24 PM
CHGoalie27
GWAAARRRRRRR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Markstrom Rules View Post
He didn't want to be here.
Oh boy not this BS again...soundbyte, link?

Old
07-12-2014, 03:42 PM
Dread Clawz
LAWSonic Boom

Quote:
Oh boy not this BS again...soundbyte, link?
Well I don't have a link from three months ago, but it was common knowledge after we acquired Luongo. He doesn't like Louie. He was also a UFA. He's also 40. Do we really need anymore reasons?

Old
07-12-2014, 03:52 PM
Panteras
perennial loser

So Gaiduchenko wasn't invited I guess this guy will never be given a chance. Probably will always just be a KHLer.

Panteras is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-12-2014, 04:10 PM
CHGoalie27
GWAAARRRRRRR

Quote:
Well I don't have a link from three months ago, but it was common knowledge after we acquired Luongo. He doesn't like Louie. He was also a UFA. He's also 40. Do we really need anymore reasons?
Yea, I remember he specifically said he didn't want to go, that this team reminded him of what the Bs were before they took off. Never saw him come out and say he doesn't like Lu and he wanted out, I'm sure I've seen the common knowledge stuff and that wasn't part of it. His age wasn't a problem except for his own monetary gain. UFA? Could've been given an option to resign...he unarguably earned it in his time here.

Old
07-12-2014, 04:14 PM
CHGoalie27
GWAAARRRRRRR

Stupid to debate now anyhow.

Old
07-12-2014, 04:20 PM
Effe

vCash: 2300
Joe Haggerty ‏@HackswithHaggs 54s
Pretty apparent Tim Thomas wasnt going to co-exist w/Roberto Luongo when he was going postal on the phone at Garden prior to last night's gm

https://twitter.com/HackswithHaggs/s...95441703882752

Effe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-12-2014, 04:38 PM
Chino Oscar

Quote:
Yea, I remember he specifically said he didn't want to go, that this team reminded him of what the Bs were before they took off. Never saw him come out and say he doesn't like Lu and he wanted out, I'm sure I've seen the common knowledge stuff and that wasn't part of it. His age wasn't a problem except for his own monetary gain. UFA? Could've been given an option to resign...he unarguably earned it in his time here.
His rift with Luongo has been very well documented in the past, dating back to the Stanley Cup Finals in 2010-2011. Once the Panthers acquired Luongo, Tallon had a sit down meeting with Thomas to discuss what he wanted to do, as he was obviously going to back-up Luongo. That wasn't OK with Tim and he wanted to be traded, thus he was sent to Dallas. This was also documented on newspaper articles at the time of the Luongo trade. Also, Thomas was not in the Panther's long-term plans... can't see why we would want him back.

Chino Oscar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-12-2014, 04:53 PM
coopdaloop123

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoupyFIN View Post

Boston, Subban.
Dallas, Campbell.

I don't think anyone is writing then off, but all of them are still considered long-term projects with not a lot of hype. Most teams around the league have at least 1 G under 25 who's either in the NHL, AHL or projected to be great.

One of these guys with the panthers may become something, but no one can be considered "that guy"

Point was that there's a lot of guys all on the same "maybe" plateau and hopefully one of them rises to the occasion.

Old
07-12-2014, 04:57 PM
Dread Clawz
LAWSonic Boom

Quote:
Originally Posted by Panteras View Post
So Gaiduchenko wasn't invited I guess this guy will never be given a chance. Probably will always just be a KHLer.
He probably wants a guarantee of an NHL job. Something the Panthers won't give him. I gave up on him like 3 years ago. Good talent, but it will never happen for him here.

Old
07-12-2014, 05:00 PM
hockeydude1
#CatsAreComing

These news articles can take a ****.

hockeydude1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-12-2014, 05:22 PM
Aksu
all hail Barky

vCash: 904
Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeydude1 View Post
These news articles can take a ****.
Coop wrote it, take it easy man.

I gotta agree with Coop though, we don't have a blue chip prospect (was Marky one?) at the moment. But you never know if one of our ahl/college goalies aren't just career ahl goalies and become good nhl goalies. We can't predict the future.

Aksu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-12-2014, 05:41 PM
coopdaloop123

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aksu View Post
Coop wrote it, take it easy man.

I gotta agree with Coop though, we don't have a blue chip prospect (was Marky one?) at the moment. But you never know if one of our ahl/college goalies aren't just career ahl goalies and become good nhl goalies. We can't predict the future.
Marky was considered the guy pretty much from the day he got drafted, but that obviously didn't pan out. I know the team wanted to trade back into the 2nd to get Demko, but couldn't get ahead of VAN who they knew would take him. So clearly they are looking for a guy they can feel pretty confident in.

One of these guys may and hopefully become a star, but having a blue chip guy would give the team more peace of mind.

Last edited by coopdaloop123: 07-12-2014 at 05:47 PM.
Old
07-12-2014, 08:40 PM
Panteras
perennial loser

Quote:
He probably wants a guarantee of an NHL job. Something the Panthers won't give him. I gave up on him like 3 years ago. Good talent, but it will never happen for him here.
you really think so? I don't see how it's realistic for him to fathom such a request at all. Being that we have Lungo/Montoya and he's never even played a game in NA.

I'd figure if we offered him a contract it's something he'd take because what is realistic for him is to be able to fight for a back up job, perhaps Montoya would still keep it because of his experience even if Gaiduchenko outplays him in preseason. But having to be in the AHL I would also figure it's something he'd have to understand as his first step in NA…not to mention IF he ever has the ambition to play in NA it'll be with whatever we offer him.

Panteras is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-12-2014, 08:43 PM
Juggernaut27
#CatsHasCupNow?

Informative article.

There are a few teams with a glut of goaltending prospects. Perhaps we can swap a skater for a blue-ish chip goalie prospect.

Or there's always the 2015 draft.

Juggernaut27 is online now   Reply With Quote