HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > San Jose Sharks
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie
Notices

You asked for it, here is your All Purpose San Jose Sharks Offseason Thread

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old
07-16-2014, 12:25 AM
  #101
hohosaregood
Drunken Snacking
 
hohosaregood's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Texas!
Posts: 19,240
vCash: 1250
Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeyball View Post
are they nicer to you than us?
I think it's pretty safe to say that we have been pretty unbearable since our offseason started.

hohosaregood is offline  
Old
07-16-2014, 12:51 AM
  #102
Mafoofoo
Jawesome
 
Mafoofoo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Los Angeles
Country: United States
Posts: 15,128
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by KirbyDots View Post
HF Sharks and tracksuits.

Also Semenov.
Semenov wearing a tracksuit posting here.

Mafoofoo is offline  
Old
07-16-2014, 01:40 AM
  #103
Kcoyote3
Registered User
 
Kcoyote3's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Posts: 5,850
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by hohosaregood View Post
I think it's pretty safe to say that we have been pretty unbearable since our offseason started.
Agreed! But it's a fun ride, if you like ending up feeling like you're taking crazy pills.

Kcoyote3 is offline  
Old
07-16-2014, 02:53 AM
  #104
Coy
Registered User
 
Coy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Location: SF
Country: United States
Posts: 2,150
vCash: 500
Sharks sign Bergman. I think they really like him.

Coy is offline  
Old
07-16-2014, 02:56 AM
  #105
KirbyDots
Registered User
 
KirbyDots's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Mountain View, CA
Country: United States
Posts: 8,007
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coy View Post
Sharks sign Bergman. I think they really like him.
Link?

KirbyDots is offline  
Old
07-16-2014, 03:00 AM
  #106
Coy
Registered User
 
Coy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Location: SF
Country: United States
Posts: 2,150
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by KirbyDots View Post
Link?
None right now. But Bergman just re-tweeted a congratulations of him signing a contract. https://twitter.com/P_alterno/status/489312288915353600

Coy is offline  
Old
07-16-2014, 03:32 AM
  #107
Coy
Registered User
 
Coy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Location: SF
Country: United States
Posts: 2,150
vCash: 500
Bergman makes it official: https://twitter.com/juliusbergman21/...25204775370752

Coy is offline  
Old
07-16-2014, 05:10 AM
  #108
ConorMcGregor
Registered User
 
ConorMcGregor's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Halifax
Posts: 659
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gilligans Island View Post
Or take another team off the potential landing spots for Joe? (Yes, low chance he'd waive for them but it removes another team in need of a top 6 C...)
No chance he would waive for anybody. He is committed to and believes in this team, his teammates, and spent years taking hometown discounts when he could have made multi millions more on the open market.

In 2007-2008, he scored 96 points and was +18 that season at age 28, and the next two highest scoring Sharks were Michalek with 55 points, and Marleau with 48 points(Marleau was -19 lol). Guys like Drury and Gomez making headlines with their 7.5 million dollar deals. Imagine my jaw hitting the floor when I heard Thornton resigned at the lowly price of 7.2 million. He could have been UFA that year, and been given obscene money. He had been voted 1st, 2nd or 3rd best center in the league 5 seasons in a row. He ran away with leading a team in scoring and scored literally double the amount of points -19 Marleau.

He has been loyal to the organization, his teammates, and the fans. And Couture and Pavelski followed his lead and took hometown discounts as well.

ConorMcGregor is offline  
Old
07-16-2014, 09:26 AM
  #109
hockeyball
Registered User
 
hockeyball's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Posts: 20,696
vCash: 1040
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hockeytown999 View Post
No chance he would waive for anybody. He is committed to and believes in this team, his teammates, and spent years taking hometown discounts when he could have made multi millions more on the open market.

In 2007-2008, he scored 96 points and was +18 that season at age 28, and the next two highest scoring Sharks were Michalek with 55 points, and Marleau with 48 points(Marleau was -19 lol). Guys like Drury and Gomez making headlines with their 7.5 million dollar deals. Imagine my jaw hitting the floor when I heard Thornton resigned at the lowly price of 7.2 million. He could have been UFA that year, and been given obscene money. He had been voted 1st, 2nd or 3rd best center in the league 5 seasons in a row. He ran away with leading a team in scoring and scored literally double the amount of points -19 Marleau.

He has been loyal to the organization, his teammates, and the fans. And Couture and Pavelski followed his lead and took hometown discounts as well.
We'll see how long that lasts. I'm becoming fairly positive what we are seeing right now is the result of 3 primary factors, none of them bode well for this team in the short term:

1) The terrible TV deal the Sharks are locked into
2) Negotiating for a new arena so they can seat enough fans to be profitable. (20,000+)
3) Sending a message to Joe and Patty that Wilson has no intention of improving this team in anyway, thus they will get no support, and any cup hopes are dead.

Obviously the TV deal is the big issue here, and there have been a couple articles about it. The Sharks decided to combat this issue by winning a cup and using that to re-negotiate the deal. I think it's pretty clear they have abandoned that plan at this point. Likely they had a cut off date years ago where if they had not won a cup by some year they would go to plan B. I expect that was a year ago, the team's success last season caused them to buy into one last season, but after the worst choke job so far there is absolutely no chance they will risk that again. I think plan B is to lose, and lose in a very mediocre way in order to hurt attendance and ratings enough to backup a threat to leave San Jose. This will cause the city to get involved (as losing the Sharks would devastate the local community) and put pressure to re-negotiate the tv deal. The Sharks can then leverage this situation against the city to negotiate a new arena as well (near Levi it sounds like).

The downside of this is obvious. The Sharks cannot make the playoffs for a plan like that to work. They have to walk a fine line between being bad enough to justify a threat/bluff to leave San Jose, but not so bad that they spend another decade trying to rebuild their fanbase.

No competent businessman is going to allow an entire corporation to be handicapped by a situation like this TV deal creates. Platner is of course smart enough to know this, and he likely see's it as in the best interest of the team, but at the cost of some pretty rough waters ahead.

The more I think about it, the more afraid I am we are in for more than one very frustrating season until this gets resolved.

hockeyball is offline  
Old
07-16-2014, 10:08 AM
  #110
Hold the Pickles
Registered User
 
Hold the Pickles's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: 03-K64
Country: United States
Posts: 3,331
vCash: 500
refresh my memory... who's the idiot that signed the TV deal?

Hold the Pickles is offline  
Old
07-16-2014, 10:24 AM
  #111
Pinkfloyd
Registered User
 
Pinkfloyd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Roseville
Country: United States
Posts: 49,253
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hold the Pickles View Post
refresh my memory... who's the idiot that signed the TV deal?
Jamison

Pinkfloyd is offline  
Old
07-16-2014, 10:35 AM
  #112
hockeyball
Registered User
 
hockeyball's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Posts: 20,696
vCash: 1040
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hold the Pickles View Post
refresh my memory... who's the idiot that signed the TV deal?
We all love to hate on DW, but more than likely a fair amount of that hate should be pointed Jamison's way. I think we'll find out as time goes by how much he screwed up this franchise more and more,.

hockeyball is offline  
Old
07-16-2014, 11:52 AM
  #113
Phu
Registered User
 
Phu's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Posts: 16,017
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeyball View Post
We all love to hate on DW, but more than likely a fair amount of that hate should be pointed Jamison's way. I think we'll find out as time goes by how much he screwed up this franchise more and more,.
Different responsibilities.

Phu is offline  
Old
07-16-2014, 12:36 PM
  #114
hockeyball
Registered User
 
hockeyball's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Posts: 20,696
vCash: 1040
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phu View Post
Different responsibilities.
They do overlap, and they do certainly have ripple effects. Jamison signing such a terrible deal likely isn't the only stupid mistake he made, and more than likely team building strategy was changed in order to account for this.

Who knows what those thing were, but I wouldn't be surprised if it influenced decisions like the Cheechoo/Heatley deal, Ehrhoff, Havlat, etc. The refusal to offer high dollar, or long term, contracts, etc.

hockeyball is offline  
Old
07-16-2014, 12:54 PM
  #115
Irbes Mask
Like Wall
 
Irbes Mask's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: California
Country: United States
Posts: 379
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeyball View Post
They do overlap, and they do certainly have ripple effects. Jamison signing such a terrible deal likely isn't the only stupid mistake he made, and more than likely team building strategy was changed in order to account for this.

Who knows what those thing were, but I wouldn't be surprised if it influenced decisions like the Cheechoo/Heatley deal, Ehrhoff, Havlat, etc. The refusal to offer high dollar, or long term, contracts, etc.
Havlat was a DW favorite and he unsuccessfully pursued him off and on for years earlier in Havlat's career. Cheechoo needed to go. The multiple hernia injuries had turned him into a pylon with a shot. Heatley was 'next man up' for that process. I think they preferred Blake's steady nature (despite the decline in play) over error's irregularities.

I'd see more to the argument of Jamison's poor decisions contributing to spending constraints if the Sharks didn't dance and flirt with the cap every year.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phu View Post
Different responsibilities.
Less than you might imagine. Perhaps because there is less $ to go around compared to other sports but there is definitely a tighter relationship between owner/ownership group and the personnel department.

Irbes Mask is offline  
Old
07-16-2014, 12:58 PM
  #116
hockeyball
Registered User
 
hockeyball's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Posts: 20,696
vCash: 1040
Quote:
Originally Posted by Irbes Mask View Post
Havlat was a DW favorite and he unsuccessfully pursued him off and on for years earlier in Havlat's career. Cheechoo needed to go. The multiple hernia injuries had turned him into a pylon with a shot. Heatley was 'next man up' for that process. I think they preferred Blake's steady nature (despite the decline in play) over error's irregularities.

I'd see more to the argument of Jamison's poor decisions contributing to spending constraints if the Sharks didn't dance and flirt with the cap every year.



Less than you might imagine. Perhaps because there is less $ to go around compared to other sports but there is definitely a tighter relationship between owner/ownership group and the personnel department.
Yah, my point was just things like that may have been influenced, just as examples.

hockeyball is offline  
Old
07-16-2014, 01:09 PM
  #117
Irbes Mask
Like Wall
 
Irbes Mask's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: California
Country: United States
Posts: 379
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeyball View Post
Yah, my point was just things like that may have been influenced, just as examples.
Right, and I'm saying I think it has less to do with the names and more to do with some of the dollars and mostly the term. I think they, over the years, shaved years off contracts and gave NMCs or future promises of NMC to compensate.

Irbes Mask is offline  
Old
07-16-2014, 01:55 PM
  #118
hockeyball
Registered User
 
hockeyball's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Posts: 20,696
vCash: 1040
Quote:
Originally Posted by Irbes Mask View Post
Right, and I'm saying I think it has less to do with the names and more to do with some of the dollars and mostly the term. I think they, over the years, shaved years off contracts and gave NMCs or future promises of NMC to compensate.
yup

and I think we may see the undoing of that going forward, but it's going to take them a couple seasons to untangle the mess and we as fans are going to be stuck in the middle.

hockeyball is offline  
Old
07-16-2014, 02:06 PM
  #119
Irbes Mask
Like Wall
 
Irbes Mask's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: California
Country: United States
Posts: 379
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeyball View Post
yup

and I think we may see the undoing of that going forward, but it's going to take them a couple seasons to untangle the mess and we as fans are going to be stuck in the middle.
Interestingly, GM's were lauded by the talking heads on TSN's FA frenzy day 1 for the shorter term guys were getting. It's almost like the Sharks were ahead of the curve.

Irbes Mask is offline  
Old
07-16-2014, 03:20 PM
  #120
glasgow26
Registered User
 
glasgow26's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: San Francisco
Posts: 4,461
vCash: 500
Demers re-signs for two years with a $3.4M cap hit.

I like it!

glasgow26 is offline  
Old
07-16-2014, 06:59 PM
  #121
ChrisWinsor
Registered User
 
ChrisWinsor's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,176
vCash: 500
San Jose PP Defence

With Boyle gone, and Burns back to D full time, who's gonna be the #2 guy?

Demers looked good. Irwin got the second most PP ice time.

How do you guys see next season playing out for the San Jose D?

Any predictions on Irwin/Demers point totals would be a plus, thx

ChrisWinsor is offline  
Old
07-16-2014, 07:00 PM
  #122
Nolan11
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Posts: 2,468
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by glasgow26 View Post
Demers re-signs for two years with a $3.4M cap hit.

I like it!
OK, so here is our roster as of today:

CAPGEEK.COM ARMCHAIR GM ROSTER
CapGeek Armchair GM Roster
FORWARDS
Patrick Marleau ($6.667m) / Logan Couture ($6.000m) / Matt Nieto ($0.759m)
Joe Pavelski ($6.000m) / Tomas Hertl ($0.925m) / Tommy Wingels ($2.475m)
Raffi Torres ($2.000m) / Joe Thornton ($6.750m) / Tyler Kennedy ($2.350m)
James Sheppard ($1.300m) / Andrew Desjardins ($0.750m) / Mike Brown ($1.200m)
John Scott ($0.700m) / Adam Burish ($1.850m) /
DEFENSEMEN
Marc-Edouard Vlasic ($4.250m) / Brent Burns ($5.760m)
Matt Irwin ($1.000m) / Justin Braun ($1.250m)
Mirco Mueller ($0.894m) / Jason Demers ($3.400m)
Scott Hannan ($1.000m) /
GOALTENDERS
Alex Stalock ($1.600m)
Antti Niemi ($3.800m)
BUYOUTS
Martin Havlat ($0.000m)
BONUS OVERAGE
$175,000
------
CAPGEEK.COM TOTALS (follow @capgeek on Twitter)
(estimations for 2014-15)
SALARY CAP: $69,000,000; CAP PAYROLL: $62,855,000; BONUSES: $1,015,833
CAP SPACE (23-man roster): $6,145,000

Thornton as 3C is unlikely, but it would fit the rhetoric wilson has been spouting. Who here thinks DW is done, this is it and its now time (for him) to go golfing?

Nolan11 is offline  
Old
07-16-2014, 07:07 PM
  #123
Arrch
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Country:
Posts: 4,573
vCash: 50
1st unit of Burns/Pavelski
2nd unit of Demers/Irwin

Demers and Burns might be swapped.

Arrch is offline  
Old
07-16-2014, 07:17 PM
  #124
ChrisWinsor
Registered User
 
ChrisWinsor's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,176
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arrch View Post
1st unit of Burns/Pavelski
2nd unit of Demers/Irwin

Demers and Burns might be swapped.
So Demers is good for 40+ ?

ChrisWinsor is offline  
Old
07-16-2014, 07:29 PM
  #125
Nolan11
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Posts: 2,468
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arrch View Post
1st unit of Burns/Pavelski
2nd unit of Demers/Irwin

Demers and Burns might be swapped.
Demers is a better QB than Burns. Pavs is more of a trigger. I would suggest:

PP1 - Pavs - Demers
PP2 - Vlasic - Burns

Vlasic's offensive game has improved a lot, and given our current roster he is our best option on the left (Irwin should be gone in a year). PP time would help Vlasic reach his full potential, he is poised for a breakthrough. Lets let a pairing of Vlasic and Burns develop together.

Nolan11 is offline  
Closed Thread

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:39 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. @2017 All Rights Reserved.