HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The History of Hockey
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
The History of Hockey Relive great moments in hockey history and discuss how the game has changed over time.

Where would Tretiak be ranked all time if he played in the NHL

Old
07-16-2014, 10:43 PM
toedrag87

vCash: 500
Where would Tretiak be ranked all time if he played in the NHL

I just recently watched a documentary on the 72 summit series and saw that Vladislav Tretiak was the goalie for the Russians at the time. It seems from the documentary, the series win for the Canadians was one of the biggest wins all time for the Canadians in international play. I've also seen documentaries on the U.S. miracle on ice which 8 years later was one of the biggest wins in U.S. international play. Once again Tretiak was goalie. I was born in 87 so I'm not very familiar with his play outside the documentaries but figured if beating this guy was the pinnacle of international play for two strong hockey countries 8 years apart, he must've been insanely good for quite some time. My question is, where would he rank in the all time best NHL goalies had he played in the NHL? Top 5? Top 10?

toedrag87 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-16-2014, 10:46 PM
VanIslander
Hope for better 2015

Closer to Dryden.

VanIslander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-16-2014, 11:08 PM
Bure

Better question for the history board. You'll get some uneducated answers here I think.

Bure is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-16-2014, 11:19 PM
SidGenoMario

He would have been the greatest of all time 10 vezinas, 7 cups.

SidGenoMario is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-16-2014, 11:21 PM
Hero
Buffy is Back

Everyone I know that's seen him play has said he was better than Hasek.

Hero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-16-2014, 11:22 PM
Mrb1p
PRICERSTOPDAPUCK

He would've been the greatest.

Best team+Best goaltender, yep.

Some hockey hipsters would try to lobby for Hasek because "NO SUPPORT BLERGHALBALGB" but ultimately, he was the best and it was the best team.

Mrb1p is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-17-2014, 12:09 AM
spiny norman
Global Moderator
Dinsdale !!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bure View Post
Better question for the history board. You'll get some uneducated answers here I think.
Moved the thread.

spiny norman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-17-2014, 12:30 AM
kmad
Riot Survivor

He was brilliant but mildly inconsistent, big game player, and burned out quickly. I would say close to Bernie Parent. A lot of his current high regard is almost mythical in nature. He's a legend more than a player.

kmad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-17-2014, 01:30 AM
TheDevilMadeMe
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by kmad View Post
He was brilliant but mildly inconsistent, big game player, and burned out quickly. I would say close to Bernie Parent. A lot of his current high regard is almost mythical in nature. He's a legend more than a player.
Eh, Tretiak actually had pretty good longevity; quite a bit better than Ken Dryden, for example. Started for the Soviets in 1972 and was probably at his best in the early 1980s

TheDevilMadeMe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-17-2014, 03:52 AM
kmad
Riot Survivor

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDevilMadeMe View Post
Eh, Tretiak actually had pretty good longevity; quite a bit better than Ken Dryden, for example. Started for the Soviets in 1972 and was probably at his best in the early 1980s
But he's closer to Parent in longevity than he is to Roy or Brodeur or Hasek or Plante or Hall.

And in comparison with Dryden - I know this has no actual effect on career value, but the end of Dryden's career was artificial. He could still play at an elite level, he just didn't want to.

kmad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-17-2014, 07:58 AM
tony d
ATD 2015

Somewhere in the top 4 or 5.

07-17-2014, 08:14 AM
Sentinel

Both Dryden and Tretiak cut their careers short. But I rank Tretiak substantially higher. Not Hasek-high, but more like Sawchuk-high.

Sentinel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-17-2014, 09:32 AM
Martin Riggs
Formerly Murphy 17

When he was goalie coach for the Hawks they wanted him to actually play. He of course declined though. Imagine if he actually played. Hawks would've been carrying Belfour, Hasek, and him.

Martin Riggs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-17-2014, 11:31 AM
ForsbergForever
Red Rocket

And to think he was this close to joining the Habs in 1983... I wonder what his legacy (and Montreal's record) would be then? Imagine Tretiak tutoring a young Patrick Roy...

ForsbergForever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-17-2014, 12:24 PM
TheDevilMadeMe
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by kmad View Post
But he's closer to Parent in longevity than he is to Roy or Brodeur or Hasek or Plante or Hall.

And in comparison with Dryden - I know this has no actual effect on career value, but the end of Dryden's career was artificial. He could still play at an elite level, he just didn't want to.
If by "longevity," you mean how long he actually played, okay. I prefer to look at "longevity as an elite player," and Tretiak's was quite good for a 70s/80s European.

Old
07-17-2014, 03:49 PM
Passchendaele

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hero View Post
Everyone I know that's seen him play has said he was better than Hasek.
Slight exaggeration, uh?

That would make him the best of all-time, bar none.

I always felt, that like most russian players from that era, he is quite overrated. I wish someone who saw him play often in Russia in the 1970s could bring this topic to light, because from what I understand, him being involved in the summit series makes him appear better than he really was.

It's like if you were to judge J-S Giguere's NHL potential only based on his performance in the 2003 playoffs.

How would he really fare over real 50+ game seasons in the NHL?

He is like a Chris Osgood from the 1970s-80s. He was a good goaltender on a stacked team. Bobby Clarke (I think) is the one who said Tretiak wasn't that good.

I don't doubt he could have most likely made a living in the NHL but it would be quite presumptuous to claim that he would be considered the greatest goaltender of all time.

Passchendaele is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-18-2014, 02:09 PM
Big Phil

Hard to say how he'd do year in and year out in an 80 game season with the best players in the world, but I have never seen why he couldn't have been close to the all-time top 10 list. Dryden is a name thrown around here, and I concur. We saw enough of Tretiak to realize he could steal the show. Surely he has a season or two where he's great throughout and steals a Vezina.

Big Phil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-18-2014, 03:39 PM
Sentinel

People, you are talking about a FIVE TIME MVP of the Soviet League! Over Kharlamov, Mikhailov, Yakushev, etc. He had as many MVPs are Kharlamov and Makarov COMBINED!

Sure CSKA was stacked. But for a goalie on a stacked team to be named MVP one would have to be pretty darn special.

Old
07-18-2014, 04:13 PM
TheDevilMadeMe
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sentinel View Post
People, you are talking about a FIVE TIME MVP of the Soviet League! Over Kharlamov, Mikhailov, Yakushev, etc. He had as many MVPs are Kharlamov and Makarov COMBINED!

Sure CSKA was stacked. But for a goalie on a stacked team to be named MVP one would have to be pretty darn special.
The counterargument to this is that goaltending was never a strong point of the USSR and he was so valuable because he was being compared to the rest of their goalies, none of whom were all that great on a global scale. Basically big fish in a small goaltending pond. Very different from Czechoslovakia, which cranked out strong goalies (Dzurilla, Holecek, Kralik, Hasek) but lacked much of the skill up front of the USSR.

Old
07-18-2014, 05:57 PM
Sentinel

More reasons to vote for Kharlamov and Maltsev. Soviet MVP voters valued beauty and artistry above all. They also weren't stupid not to realize that other teams were no match for CSKA's firepower to seriously challenge Tretiak.

Think about it: when was the last time a goalie on an offensively stacked club won a Vezina? Let alone Hart. Usually these prizes go to goalies on weaker teams: their achievements are more impressive and they are more vital to their team's success.

Old
07-18-2014, 05:59 PM
Trebek
Mod Supervisor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sentinel View Post
when was the last time a goalie on an offensively stacked club won a Vezina? Let alone Hart. Usually these prizes go to goalies on weaker teams:
Usually the Hart prize doesn't go to goalies at all.

Trebek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-18-2014, 06:14 PM
Killion
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chalupa Batman View Post
Usually the Hart prize doesn't go to goalies at all.
No. Very rare. Theodore, Hasek twice, Plante, Rollins, Rayner & Worters. Thats a Grand Total of 7 out of 90X's a Goalies won it since 1923/24.

Killion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-18-2014, 07:28 PM
Ed Wood

I think that in Europe the consensus is that Jiri Holocek was better than Tretiak. Tretiak was more impressive against North American competition but Holicek was better in Europe wining five top goalie awards in ten World Hockey Championships.

My guess is that Tretiak would have been a very good NHL goalie but I think it's a stretch to suggest that he'd rank among the truly elite. Top twenty all-time I could buy.

Ed Wood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-18-2014, 07:41 PM
TheDevilMadeMe
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed Wood View Post
I think that in Europe the consensus is that Jiri Holocek was better than Tretiak. Tretiak was more impressive against North American competition but Holicek was better in Europe wining five top goalie awards in ten World Hockey Championships.

My guess is that Tretiak would have been a very good NHL goalie but I think it's a stretch to suggest that he'd rank among the truly elite. Top twenty all-time I could buy.
I don't think it's a consensus (there are certainly some Russian fans who would disagree!), but it's a pretty common opinion from what I've seen, yes.

Old
07-18-2014, 08:24 PM
Moose Head

I think he would be considered one of the best of all time. He was better than any of his contemporaries who included Dryden and Espo, two of the best of all time.

Moose Head is offline   Reply With Quote