HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Toronto Maple Leafs
Notices

ANTROPOV"S FUTURE

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old
10-05-2003, 07:39 AM
  #1
chuckie
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Posts: 302
vCash: 500
ANTROPOV"S FUTURE

With Green gone is antropov's potential going to be wasted as a 3rd line centre or will he get a chance on the top 2 lines thanks for your input....................

chuckie is offline  
Old
10-05-2003, 07:49 AM
  #2
Shawn
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: Under Your Skin
Posts: 672
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by chuckie
With Green gone is antropov's potential going to be wasted as a 3rd line centre or will he get a chance on the top 2 lines thanks for your input....................
A solid year on the third line may be just the right thing for young Nik. Not too much pressure down there, plus he can get time on the PP. He would add nice depth at that position. Now if we can only rid ourselves with our 3.5 million dollar fourth line center.

Shawn is offline  
Old
10-05-2003, 07:56 AM
  #3
Transplanted Caper
Registered User
 
Transplanted Caper's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: Internet Underbelly
Country: Canada
Posts: 27,682
vCash: 500
Id say putting Nik on the third line isnt a horrible idea. H may not put up the numbers many anticipatd he would but by having a strong third line the Leafs will be that much harder to play against.

Transplanted Caper is offline  
Old
10-05-2003, 07:57 AM
  #4
wasting time
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Posts: 4,887
vCash: 500
I don't mind him as a winger.

wasting time is offline  
Old
10-05-2003, 08:03 AM
  #5
p.l.f.
mvp
 
p.l.f.'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Toronto, CANADA
Posts: 34,755
vCash: 500
he'll at least play the wing on the pp

p.l.f. is offline  
Old
10-05-2003, 08:55 AM
  #6
berney fkaj
Registered User
 
berney fkaj's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: Around
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,670
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shawn
A solid year on the third line may be just the right thing for young Nik. Not too much pressure down there, plus he can get time on the PP. He would add nice depth at that position. Now if we can only rid ourselves with our 3.5 million dollar fourth line center.


I know it would look bad, but if toronto can't trade Reichel, why don't they just send him to the minors.

berney fkaj is offline  
Old
10-05-2003, 08:57 AM
  #7
DutchLeafsfan
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Location: Rotterdam, NL
Country: Netherlands
Posts: 4,905
vCash: 500
Send a message via ICQ to DutchLeafsfan Send a message via MSN to DutchLeafsfan
Quote:
Originally Posted by berney fkaj
I know it would look bad, but if toronto can't trade Reichel, why don't they just send him to the minors.
Because although Reichel may be overpaid we do not have anything better in the minors... Since he undoubtedly has a one way contract, not much use to send him down...

DutchLeafsfan is offline  
Old
10-05-2003, 09:00 AM
  #8
berney fkaj
Registered User
 
berney fkaj's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: Around
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,670
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoLeafsGo2003
Id say putting Nik on the third line isnt a horrible idea. H may not put up the numbers many anticipatd he would but by having a strong third line the Leafs will be that much harder to play against.

I agree

berney fkaj is offline  
Old
10-05-2003, 09:01 AM
  #9
berney fkaj
Registered User
 
berney fkaj's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: Around
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,670
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by DutchLeafsfan
Because although Reichel may be overpaid we do not have anything better in the minors... Since he undoubtedly has a one way contract, not much use to send him down...


true, but a man can dream

berney fkaj is offline  
Old
10-05-2003, 09:04 AM
  #10
think-blue-
Registered User
 
think-blue-'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Country: Canada
Posts: 10,159
vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to think-blue-
I disagree. Line him up on the wing on the first two lines, and when Joey retires, put him back at C. There's no use wasting Nik's playmaking abilities with pluggers like Domi or Belak! He showed he can play with the big boys last year and take care of his own. Put him in the situation where its best for the team - and thats in an offensive role. Frankly, Id much rather have him on the top line than say, a Gary Roberts, at this point.

As for Reichel? Keep him. Obviously he is overpaid for what he does, but seriously - NOBODY in the system can bring to the game what he does. He quietly scored 40 points last year, helping Domi for his career season. I see no reason why we should break up a X-Reichel-Domi line. Those guys have great chemistry together, and at times were our best line last year. Just because he's overpaid is no reason to send him down or get rid of him. Id like to see Sundin-Nieuwendyk-Reichel-Fitzgerald down the middle this year.

think-blue- is offline  
Old
10-05-2003, 09:05 AM
  #11
cellardweller
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Kingston Ontario
Posts: 37
vCash: 500
With Travis Green gone, this should take some pressure off of Nik Antropov. I think this guy has alot of potential and should not be overlooked. Look what happen to Bertuzzi before Vancouver. Highly drafted prospect who was getting nowhere with the Isles, and then once he was dealt he is one of the best power forwards in the NHL. I can see this being the breakout year for Antropov, as long as he stays healthy, and barring a trade by Ferguson.

cellardweller is offline  
Old
10-05-2003, 09:08 AM
  #12
Transplanted Caper
Registered User
 
Transplanted Caper's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: Internet Underbelly
Country: Canada
Posts: 27,682
vCash: 500
I think that Antropov is more valuable as a centre. Also he has the skills to make his linemates better. As I said before with a strong third line the Leafs become that much more difficult to play against.

Transplanted Caper is offline  
Old
10-05-2003, 09:10 AM
  #13
GeckoGreene
Guest
 
Country:
Posts: n/a
vCash:
Quote:
Originally Posted by DutchLeafsfan
Because although Reichel may be overpaid we do not have anything better in the minors... Since he undoubtedly has a one way contract, not much use to send him down...
True, but Rechel in the minors would give someone young with potential a chance to get some icetime, and might help us strongarm Reichel into some sort of buyout on terms favorable to management. A better way to trim some salary fat than exposing good players in the waiverdraft, at least as far as I can see.

I wouldn't do this, because I think we can us him on the PK and because we may actually need the freak to help fill out the 4th line now that Green is gone, but I wouldn't shake my head at the move, either.

 
Old
10-05-2003, 09:35 AM
  #14
Mess
Global Moderator
 
Mess's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Country: Canada
Posts: 59,563
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by DutchLeafsfan
Because although Reichel may be overpaid we do not have anything better in the minors... Since he undoubtedly has a one way contract, not much use to send him down...
Also in his own right even though he is over paid he is not that bad a player particularly in Light of the amount of Ice time he gets..

He blossoms on the team in World championships ..perhaps the answer is give him more ice time, switch him to the wing and put him with Roberts and Newy and form a former Calgary connection...
or
Play with Antropov and say Nolan/Mogilny and use his experience to set up people..

My mpint maybe we are misusing Reichel and more icetime might be the answer, because as your 4th line checking Center is not fair to critisize him...

Mess is offline  
Old
10-05-2003, 11:14 AM
  #15
loveshack2
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: Old School
Country: Tokelau
Posts: 3,299
vCash: 500
Send Reichel to the minors? Are you insane? He's easily in the top 9 forwards on the team. Just because he's overpaid is no reason to get rid of him. Watch him play, he's not anywhere near as soft as some people like to think and he's one of our better penalty killers. Id like to see him centre a line of Tucker - Reichel - Domi this year, I think that kind line has just the right mix of talent, speed, and grit to do extremely well playing 3rd line minutes.

Antropov should play wing on one of the top 2 lines. I wouldnt be adverse to experimenting with Antropov centring Sundin for a couple games either just to see the results.

loveshack2 is offline  
Old
10-05-2003, 05:45 PM
  #16
Courage*
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Posts: 6,390
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by loveshack2
Send Reichel to the minors? Are you insane? He's easily in the top 9 forwards on the team. Just because he's overpaid is no reason to get rid of him. Watch him play, he's not anywhere near as soft as some people like to think and he's one of our better penalty killers. Id like to see him centre a line of Tucker - Reichel - Domi this year, I think that kind line has just the right mix of talent, speed, and grit to do extremely well playing 3rd line minutes.

Antropov should play wing on one of the top 2 lines. I wouldnt be adverse to experimenting with Antropov centring Sundin for a couple games either just to see the results.
I agree with you about Reichel. He has something that many guys don't: brains. He makes up for a lack of premier talent in many areas by using his brain. His positioning is solid, his playmaking far better than average, and since Domi started riding shotgun for him, he plays with a lot more pluck than he used to. He plays a simple game in the offensive zone that meshes well with Domi's drive-to-the-net style. Reichel's first instinct is to get the puck to the net, and so sometimes he shoots prematurely, but with a guy like Domi headed straight for the goal mouth most of the time, they score a lot of 'garbage' goals from down low. The amazing thing is that the Leafs can boast having Reichel - a 40-50pt. guy) as a third or fourth line player. Not so bad.

Courage* is offline  
Old
10-05-2003, 08:15 PM
  #17
nordique
Guest
 
Country:
Posts: n/a
vCash:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Courage
I agree with you about Reichel. He has something that many guys don't: brains. He makes up for a lack of premier talent in many areas by using his brain. His positioning is solid, his playmaking far better than average, and since Domi started riding shotgun for him, he plays with a lot more pluck than he used to. He plays a simple game in the offensive zone that meshes well with Domi's drive-to-the-net style. Reichel's first instinct is to get the puck to the net, and so sometimes he shoots prematurely, but with a guy like Domi headed straight for the goal mouth most of the time, they score a lot of 'garbage' goals from down low. The amazing thing is that the Leafs can boast having Reichel - a 40-50pt. guy) as a third or fourth line player. Not so bad.
Never seen a guy with awesome hockey brains take a slap shot on an important penalty shot before...

 
Old
10-05-2003, 09:35 PM
  #18
simbot
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: St. Catharines, Ontario
Posts: 118
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by nordique
Never seen a guy with awesome hockey brains take a slap shot on an important penalty shot before...
I love it! That pissed me off when he pulled that trick. He should have used that move he made at the Olympics one year.

simbot is offline  
Old
10-06-2003, 12:23 AM
  #19
OpinionatedMike
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Posts: 301
vCash: 500
Gut feeling I have, and I may be WAY off here, but I think the leafs are going to roll 3 lines this season, with the 4th line as a "others" line.....PKers, a fighter, things like that...

So yes I think Antropov is gonna play the 3rd line, but until Game one, we won't know....I'll go out on a limb and guess Stajen makes the team as well.....Something like this:

Nolan - Sundin - Renberg
Roberts - Joey N - Stajen
Tucker - Antropov - Mogilney
Fitz - Reichel - Domi/Belak/Perrot

Gut feeling is that they are trying to move Domi.......No idea who'd need em, maybe a team like Atlanta? Anahiem? Remember folks this is Fergies job now....I think he needs to make a stamp on this team, so Domi may have to be that "stamp" plus it rids us of the so called "cry babies" minus Tucker

OpinionatedMike is offline  
Old
10-06-2003, 12:46 AM
  #20
DutchLeafsfan
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Location: Rotterdam, NL
Country: Netherlands
Posts: 4,905
vCash: 500
Send a message via ICQ to DutchLeafsfan Send a message via MSN to DutchLeafsfan
Quote:
Originally Posted by OpinionatedMike
Gut feeling is that they are trying to move Domi.......No idea who'd need em, maybe a team like Atlanta? Anahiem? Remember folks this is Fergies job now....I think he needs to make a stamp on this team, so Domi may have to be that "stamp" plus it rids us of the so called "cry babies" minus Tucker
Actually Domi did not belong to this alleged cry babies etc. group in the dressing room, which supposedly consisted out of Green, Tucker and Corson.

DutchLeafsfan is offline  
Old
10-06-2003, 05:57 AM
  #21
Volcanologist
Spark up a Dubas
 
Volcanologist's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Kessel Apocalypse
Country: Germany
Posts: 20,351
vCash: 500
Is Antropov growing a mullet?

Sure looks like it.

Volcanologist is online now  
Old
10-06-2003, 06:08 AM
  #22
Dar
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Country: Northern Ireland
Posts: 4,813
vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to Dar
Quote:
Originally Posted by OpinionatedMike
Something like this:

Nolan - Sundin - Renberg
Roberts - Joey N - Stajen
Tucker - Antropov - Mogilney
Fitz - Reichel - Domi/Belak/Perrot
Based on last night's game against Detroit I think you'll see the second line of Roberts - Niewy - Tucker. They played great together. Knowing Quinn's record for playing 1 decent/good (not great) player on the top line I think you'll see Renberg - Sundin - Nolan on the top line. Based on what I've seen preseason I think it'll be as follows.

Renberg-Sundin-Nolan
Roberts-Niewy-Tucker
Poni?-Antropov-Mogilny
Fitzgerald-Reichel-Domi.

1st line, 3rd line, who cares, Quinn likes to rotate his top three lines. On the PP I can see Renberg being replaced by Mogilny on the top unit.

Dar is offline  
Old
10-06-2003, 06:31 AM
  #23
wasting time
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Posts: 4,887
vCash: 500
What's up with Antropov experimenting with a blue visor?

Are tinted visors legal?

wasting time is offline  
Old
10-06-2003, 06:33 AM
  #24
Dar
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Country: Northern Ireland
Posts: 4,813
vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to Dar
Quote:
Originally Posted by wasting time
What's up with Antropov experimenting with a blue visor?

Are tinted visors legal?
Yes, they're legal, Theo Fluery wore a brown tinted one. They take away a lot of the glare from the light reflection off the ice.

Dar is offline  
Old
10-06-2003, 06:35 AM
  #25
Epoch
Registered User
 
Epoch's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: London, Ontario
Country: Canada
Posts: 16,094
vCash: 500
Yes, I believe a Philly Flyer was using a yellow visor last year too.

Epoch is offline  
Closed Thread

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:58 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.