Shields just traded

Closed Thread

Old
10-05-2003, 09:26 AM
Bruinaholic

vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Bruinaholic
Shields just traded

to the Panthers for Future considerations.....looks like 1.3$ is off the books http://www.floridapanthers.com/

Old
10-05-2003, 09:33 AM
misterjaggers

I'm happy for Shields. He can stay in the big time.

I like the spin Dudley uses in the press release to cover for the mistake he made leaving Jurme unprotected...

Old
10-05-2003, 09:43 AM
Magnus Fulgur

Cool

I'm happy for Shields, he'll love Miami...and Keenan!
I'm happy for the B's, now we have money for Beregon and Green!

Old
10-05-2003, 09:46 AM
Magnus Fulgur

Expand it

Do you think we could expand the future considerations to count for getting Huselius? We've got enough grit and D to cover his behind, and we can't score at all this year. Huselius would help hugely, since none of our Providence wingers are going to pan out to be 20g scorers - sorry, I know it's controversial, but I think it's true.

Old
10-05-2003, 09:48 AM
Lady Rhian
St. McQuaid he aint

Good luck Steve! I am so happy he found a new team.

Old
10-05-2003, 09:54 AM
Mizral

Quote:
Originally Posted by wickedbsfan
Do you think we could expand the future considerations to count for getting Huselius? We've got enough grit and D to cover his behind, and we can't score at all this year. Huselius would help hugely, since none of our Providence wingers are going to pan out to be 20g scorers - sorry, I know it's controversial, but I think it's true.
Uh.. Futures are rarely more than AHL-level players. Huselius is a youngster with a lot of potential. Are you mad? That's like saying Raycroft for Futures.

Old
10-05-2003, 09:57 AM
misterjaggers

Quote:
Looks like he'd be a nice pickup, but unless Dudley has completely lost his mind, it won't happen...
http://www.tsn.ca/nhl_network/teams/...01&hubName=FLA

The Bs have some fine scoring winger prospects like Evseev but there ain't much in Providence...

Old
10-05-2003, 10:01 AM
Taz#24

Send a message via MSN to Taz#24
It will be interesting to see what the futures are...considering...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruinaholic
to the Panthers for Future considerations.....looks like 1.3$ is off the books http://www.floridapanthers.com/
My proposed deal with Florida for Mike VAN RYN was deemed a pipe dream and comments like SHIELDS has no trade value, we will have to buy him out and 29 other teams passed on him in the waiver draft, why would someone deal for him?

I would wager the return will be something close to a fourth round pick (probably depending on his stats this season)...let's see...HURME went for a fourth right? Does VAN RYN have more trade value then HURME...I would suggest NO. One has to realize that VAN RYN will turn 25 this season and he has yet to establish himself as an NHL regular...some GMs consider him a Nolan BAUMGARTNER type bust.

SHIELDS for VAN RYN is not that far off, particularly considering DUDLEY booboo regarding the HURME situation.

Old
10-05-2003, 10:02 AM
nhlbruin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mizral
Uh.. Futures are rarely more than AHL-level players. Huselius is a youngster with a lot of potential. Are you mad? That's like saying Raycroft for Futures.
Raycroft is far more valuable than Shields...the two situations do not parallel. Say they just get a late pick or an AHLer...who cares? We were all hoping someone would claim him in the waiver draft for nothing. He just doesn't fit into the team's plan, is a total jerk (if you've ever met him you prob agree), and was just taking up roster spot and payroll. Shields makes 1.3 mill and wasn't going to play...that's 100% wasted dough. Who wants that?

Old
10-05-2003, 10:51 AM
Rumpy

Shvidki

Not sure how it works but why wouldn't the Bruins just get Shvidki for Shields or maybe did they????? How does that work with deals in Baseball after the "trade deadline" teams will just use waivers to make a deal.......could they maybe grab Shvidki off waivers from Florida because of the future considerations????

Old
10-05-2003, 10:55 AM
Bruwinz37

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rumpy
Not sure how it works but why wouldn't the Bruins just get Shvidki for Shields or maybe did they????? How does that work with deals in Baseball after the "trade deadline" teams will just use waivers to make a deal.......could they maybe grab Shvidki off waivers from Florida because of the future considerations????
I really dont understand why this wasnt the deal to begin with. Perhaps if Shvidki clears waivers (which he wont) we can then acquire him and he can start in Providence (because he already cleared waivers). That is my ideal situation.

Old
10-05-2003, 10:58 AM
BruinsGod II

A few things ..
In the Floridapanthers.com transcript of the deal .. Dudley mentions that the B's picked up a "chunk" of Shields contract (so I don't know how much if any salary room it cleared) as well the Future Consideration will not be a draft pick (some thing of lesser value I gather) .
So it looks like O'C did everything in his power to get Shields out of town .

Old
10-05-2003, 11:26 AM
774EVER
DR. SILLYPANTS...

Phew. Glad to see that things have been worked out - I was afraid the Bruins would have to buy him out. Also sending Shields down to Providence would have not been beneficial for both Shields nor the P- Bruins.

OK, now hopefully Raycroft will start in 30-40 games!

Old
10-05-2003, 11:38 AM
Jim Carey Price

Future Considerations in hockey are usually nothing at all...its just a way of saying you got traded for no one

I know at times you will hear of teams giving a player away at a later date to complete a previous deal..but thats rare, or the player is such low calibre that it goes under the radar and no one hears about it....I wouldn't hold my breath on getting anything back from FLA on this

Old
10-05-2003, 12:14 PM
pei_bruins

Send a message via MSN to pei_bruins
If the Bruins managed to get a sixth round pick from FLA as the future consideration then MOC would essentially have traded Shields for Green. That deal gets a big thumbs up from me.

Old
10-05-2003, 12:39 PM
rpontbriand

Thank GOD that the Avs did not get him! I was worried about that. Maybe you guys can trade Kim to the Panthers as well?

Old
10-05-2003, 01:12 PM
HockeyGoddess

Good luck to Steve. I imagine he'll be looking to prove something when the B's play the Panthers, if he's given any of the starts.

Go Bruins, go Bruins, GO!!
Old
10-05-2003, 02:41 PM
MeisterBruinmaker

Send a message via Yahoo to MeisterBruinmaker
Agree with HG, good luck to Shields. The bottom line is, he was a known commodity before he was acquired by the Bruins, and should have never been placed in the #1 spot to begin with. He is a big guy who can play the angles well and cover a lot of the net, but his flaws were known, especially his lateral movement and wandering. I never understood why O'Connell rolled the dice on having a guy like Shields around when the Bruins other goalie, John Grahame, was still an unknown. I can see how he decided to change directions after Dafoe's playoff showing, and especially after learning Byron's out-of-touch asking price, but in my opinion O'Connell's plan was flawed from the start. Not to digress, but this is the kind of judgment that worries me to no end and is that which I believe is a barrier to the Bruins ultimate success. Hopefully we are seeing the end of these kinds of decisions.

As far as Shields being traded to FLA, good call by Spectors and Jim. I'm a bit surprised the Panthers were willing to take on his salary, but I think this was mostly about the asking price. There were other more promising goalies out there, but those teams were not in the same position as Boston to deal. San Jose for instance, is still on the fence about Toskala & Kiprusov. Buffalo would want a pretty penny for either of their guys. Boston, on the other hand, needed a dump. My guess is the future's is going to be a late round pick, maybe a 7th or 8th. As pei_bruins says, if we manage to get a sixth, then it's as if we dealt Shields for Green, which would be a fantastic trade. I don't expect much at all though, Dudley surely knew that Shields was going to be bought out if the B's didn't find a taker. I would have taken Shvidki in a swap anyday.

Either way, the Panthers only have to pay Shields for one year, and they shoudl know what they are getting. Steve is a good back up goalie, and when he's sharp, he can play pretty well. It's just that you don't want to rely on him all the time because his flaws will be exposed.

Old
10-05-2003, 03:24 PM
Magnus Fulgur

Mizral

Mizral, I'm not mad. Thanks, that was cute...NOT!!!
What I'm suggesting is that we could now trade other players to FLA for Huselius and that deal could go down a whole lot smoother. I wrote "Do you think we could expand the future considerations to count for getting Huselius?". It's in English. Perhaps I should have written, "Do you think that if we now throw an offer for Huselius that the futures will help the trade go down?" Huselius is worth so much more than future considerations!!! He's a decent hockey player!!! I'm insulted that you thought we could get Huselius for nothing now.

Go play in your own sandbox. I am truly getting tired of you butting your nose in here all the time and telling us what our players are and are not worth. I'm bloody serious.

Old
10-05-2003, 03:29 PM
neelynugs

good luck to sieve..uh, steve :p
seriously- i'm happy he's gone, but i wish him the best in florida, except when he plays against boston.
i think OC probably covered half the salary in this transaction, and i don't expect shvidki to be wearing the black and gold (he's pulling in 1.2 million this year, and the budget seems to be just about dried up). wonder what's happening on the berard front

Old
10-05-2003, 03:33 PM
Mizral

Quote:
Go play in your own sandbox. I am truly getting tired of you butting your nose in here all the time and telling us what our players are and are not worth. I'm bloody serious.
Yowsa.

Well, I didn't mean to be rude about it. I didn't think I was.

What I was trying to allude to is that Huselius is a good young player, I would value his worth similar to Raycrofts. All I'm saying is that teams do not often give up one of their bright young stars for nothing. I think the Bruins would have to add in something much more significant than Steve Shields to pick up Kristian.

Old
10-05-2003, 03:40 PM
Gee Wally
Retired

Awards:
wicked b ..calm down...

Mizral..you did in fact throw the first stone by not reading clearly and making the first personal statement with "are you mad? "

knock it off ,,, or take a vacation from here.

BOSTON STRONG !!!
Old
10-05-2003, 03:48 PM
Magnus Fulgur

Thanks

I'm calm, don't worry

I just wanted this guy to realize that he plays it pretty fast and loose in here that not every one appreciates it. With over 9,000 posts this guy should focus on quality over quantity.

Old
10-05-2003, 04:58 PM
b-orr-k

Quote:
Originally Posted by pei_bruins
If the Bruins managed to get a sixth round pick from FLA as the future consideration then MOC would essentially have traded Shields for Green. That deal gets a big thumbs up from me.
The considerations are that for one year the Panthers must start Shields against the Bs instead of Luongo.

Old
10-05-2003, 05:24 PM
Lam7825
Go Goldy Go!

Quote:
Originally Posted by b-orr-k
The considerations are that for one year the Panthers must start Shields against the Bs instead of Luongo.
I like it....plus I think MOC gets free drinks and can fudge his golf score at the next annual GM meetings- courtesy of the Panthers staff. Acquiring Sieve Shields to be their back-up was quite a nice "CYA" move by Florida- don't think MOC will let them forget it either.

Glad he's gone.............

Closed Thread