HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > By The Numbers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
By The Numbers Hockey Analytics... the Final Frontier. Explore strange new worlds, to seek out new algorithms, to boldly go where no one has gone before.

Shots on goal and shooting percentage

Old
07-20-2014, 07:27 PM
Nharris31

vCash: 500
Shots on goal and shooting percentage

This may be a really dumb question. I get Advanced Stands kind of but not all the way. But anyways. I know The wild got outshot more than they should have. But Could some of that be because they had a terrible shooting percentage? Also could Thomas Vanek help that?

Nharris31 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-20-2014, 09:30 PM
archangel archangel

vCash: 157
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nharris31 View Post
This may be a really dumb question. I get Advanced Stands kind of but not all the way. But anyways. I know The wild got outshot more than they should have. But Could some of that be because they had a terrible shooting percentage? Also could Thomas Vanek help that?
So team has a low shooting % leads to them being out shot?
If a team has a lower % of time of possession that will lead to them getting out shot. For me I do not see the math theory of how the wild having a low shooting % linked to them being out shot. time of possession yes.

Nearly all teams that have low time of possession get out shot every game

archangel archangel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-21-2014, 07:10 AM
Diatomic
Naz is a bad bad boy

Quote:
No, getting out shot and having a low shooting % are not related IMO, but its a recipe for disaster if your team has the 2. Getting out shot and having a low shooting % is like - terrible. And idk about vanek he'll definitely help with goalscoring but whether he's a good or bad corsi player i don't know.

Last edited by Diatomic: 07-22-2014 at 01:09 AM.
Diatomic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-21-2014, 11:57 AM
Brad Doty
\_(ツ)_/

Quote:
I don't think there's any causation between a low shot count and low shooting percentage unless there's something to do with low talent on the team which I don't think is the case with the Wild. Theoretically adding a sniper will bump up the shooting % but won't, imo, make a significant dent on the shots for. Some of that is attributable to systems, some of it to talent.

07-21-2014, 04:11 PM
hatterson
Global Moderator

vCash: 50
Send a message via Skype™ to hatterson
Quote:
Shooting percentage has a minimal impact on whether you're outshot or not, or by how much. And when it's present, it actually tends to go the other way. Teams being outshot a ton have a higher shooting percentage and teams massively outshooting their opponents tend to have a lower percentage.

As far as if Vanek can help you being outshot as much, it's possible. He's generally been an average possession player, sometimes a little above average sometimes below. He's not going to be expected to drive elite possession numbers, but if you're going from bad to average, that's still an improvement.

Regarding shooting percentage, Vanek has always had a high on-ice shooting percentage, frequently ranking at or near the top of his team. Part of that is due to the role he plays. He has an good shot, but he's also got incredible hands in front and an excellent ability to redirect pucks in when screening or to tap in rebounds, often while falling/being pulled down. Many of the goals he scores are of the "dirty" variety, which is one reason why he has trouble staying healthy, he takes a beating.

07-21-2014, 06:02 PM
TurdFerguson

I just made some graphs for 2013-2014 5v5 sv% vs SA/g and sh% vs SF/g. No trend can be found in the data.

This would suggest that these stats do not impact each other.

TurdFerguson is offline   Reply With Quote