HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Buffalo Sabres
Notices

Who must clear waivers?

Closed Thread

Old
09-13-2005, 01:42 PM
Buffaloed
Administrator
Webmaster

vCash: 1390
Who must clear waivers?

TBN appears to be judging a player's waiver eligibility solely on his years of professional service. That's the old CBA standard.
http://www.buffalonews.com/editorial...13/1063491.asp
Quote:
Regardless of whether Gaustad or Pominville make the opening-night roster, the Sabres will run the risk of losing assets to waivers unless they make a trade. This will be the fourth pro season for Gaustad and Pominville, so each must clear waivers before he can be assigned to Rochester - as would any NHLer either might supplant.
They published a similar statement about Doug Janik the other day.

Under the new CBA, in addition to the player being out of the entry level system, his AHL salary must also be $75,000+ for waiver eligibility. I don't have minor league salary figures for the Amerks, but if I had to speculate, it would be that Chris Taylor is their only player outside the entry level system making $75,000+.

Old
09-13-2005, 02:01 PM
Kruschiki

vCash: 500
TBN is the worst paper when it comes to covering hockey.

Old
09-13-2005, 02:08 PM
Chainshot
Global Moderator
Give 'em Enough Rope

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buffaloed
TBN appears to be judging a player's waiver eligibility solely on his years of professional service. That's the old CBA standard.
http://www.buffalonews.com/editorial...13/1063491.asp

They published a similar statement about Doug Janik the other day.

Under the new CBA, in addition to the player being out of the entry level system, his AHL salary must also be $75,000+ for waiver eligibility. I don't have minor league salary figures for the Amerks, but if I had to speculate, it would be that Chris Taylor is their only player outside the entry level system making $75,000+.
I have yet to see enough of the CBA to get into Waiver Arcana. The old one was bad enough. It seems they're expecting it to be three years professional service. What then makes it unclear is... why include the salary figures?

09-13-2005, 03:07 PM
Buffaloed
Administrator
Webmaster

vCash: 1390
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chainshot
I have yet to see enough of the CBA to get into Waiver Arcana. The old one was bad enough. It seems they're expecting it to be three years professional service. What then makes it unclear is... why include the salary figures?
Here's the unofficial explanation:
http://www.syracuse.com/printer/prin...610.xml&coll=1
(don't click unless you don't mind printing the article or your printer is disabled)
Quote:
The rule dictates that, for the most part, any AHL player who makes more than $75,000 this season must clear NHL "re-entry waivers" if his parent team recalls him.

If that player is claimed by another NHL team, his original team not only loses him but must also pay half of his remaining NHL salary. The only exceptions are players who are exempt from waivers, typically youngsters.

The reasoning behind the rule is that NHL owners didn't want teams to circumvent the salary cap by signing high-priced players and stashing them in the minors. The chilling effect is that it creates something of a soft AHL salary cap as NHL teams, leery of losing a player and still paying a chunk of his salary, will heavily lean toward recalling players making $75,000 or less.
I think the reasoning was to force veteran AHL players to take pay cuts and the notion of preventing the stashing players was a smokescreen. Chris Taylor virtually surrendered any chance of being called up by refusing to have his $150K salary cut in half. I can't blame him for that. I also can't blame the owners for wanting to cut minor league expenses. The NHLPA sold the AHL'ers down the river.

Old
09-13-2005, 03:44 PM
Kruschiki

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buffaloed
The NHLPA sold the AHL'ers down the river.
This is always how business unions operate.

Closed Thread