HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The History of Hockey
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
The History of Hockey Relive great moments in hockey history and discuss how the game has changed over time.

Current player most similar to Pavel Bure?

Old
07-21-2014, 09:55 PM
FedorBure

vCash: 500
Current player most similar to Pavel Bure?

I haven't watched hockey in over a decade and I'm just getting back into it..

Pavel Bure is my all time favourite. Who are the most similar players to Pavel Bure these days?

I am referring to style more than stats.

Thanks

FedorBure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-21-2014, 09:59 PM
JetsAlternate

Stylistically, I think of him as a hybrid between Patrick Kane and P.K. Subban; if we were to mix-and-match some of their skills and assets, that might be as close to Bure as we have seen since his retirement. Subban and Kane have great agility. Bure had incredible acceleration and speed, however, which only the like of Nathan MacKinnon have come to resemble. All three are excellent at offensive zone entry, quarterbacking the team's offense, and being creative with the puck. Subban and Kane like to weave around with the puck, and Kane tends to wander the offensive zone to support the puck. Subban also prefers carry the puck in and control the pace of the game; he is unafraid to shoot the puck either. Subban plays with a lot of flare.

If Kane's offensive zone positioning is combined with P.K. Subban's game, and a healthy dose of speed, acceleration, a keen determination to score, and a great sense of fearlessness and reckless abandon are added, we might get something similar to Pavel Bure. As of now, no single player encapsulates perfectly the style Bure played.

Last edited by JetsAlternate: 07-21-2014 at 10:15 PM.
JetsAlternate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-21-2014, 09:59 PM
TheDevilMadeMe
Global Moderator

Marian Gaborik? Not quite as fast as he used to be, though

TheDevilMadeMe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-21-2014, 10:01 PM
Hardyvan123
tweet@HardyintheWack

pretty much nobody.

Not saying that Bure was a generational talent but he was a generational guy to watch, ie how he got people excited watching him.

Probably the closest is Patrick Kane I guess although that's why comps don't really work all that often.

Hardyvan123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-21-2014, 10:09 PM
vadim sharifijanov
Rrbata

hardy is right; it's no one. i'll echo two guys mentioned above though: the closest would be pat kane's dangles with the breakway speed and mid-stride wrist shot shot (and playing style) of minnesota-era gaborik.

vadim sharifijanov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-21-2014, 10:11 PM
Stephen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hardyvan123 View Post
pretty much nobody.

Not saying that Bure was a generational talent but he was a generational guy to watch, ie how he got people excited watching him.

Probably the closest is Patrick Kane I guess although that's why comps don't really work all that often.
Yeah Kane works so some degree, but he's shiftier while Bure was a lot more explosive, like a smaller more dynamic Ovechkin when he was young.

Stephen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-21-2014, 10:14 PM
JetsAlternate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen View Post
Yeah Kane works so some degree, but he's shiftier while Bure was a lot more explosive, like a smaller more dynamic Ovechkin when he was young.
I wouldn't necessarily say Bure was not as shifty as Kane. Pavel's agility gave him the opportunity to side-step a lot of hits and change his direction without losing speed.
Quote:
And this year's winners are . . . The Star's Bob McKenzie's Best of Everything Coaches' Poll results: [SA2 Edition]
McKenzie, Bob. Toronto Star [Toronto, Ont] 13 Feb 1993: D4.

Four of the 21 coaches polled chose someone other than Mario, citing Lemieux's indefinite absence as the reason. Still, if Lemieux can return from treatment of Hodgkin's disease in this extended regular season (it ends April 15) and pick up where he left off, he must still be considered a favorite for the Hart Trophy as league MVP.

Voting results: Lemieux (17 ), Chelios (1), Bourque (1), Selanne (1), Bure (1).

Best stickhandler: Mario Lemieux

Lemieux received 14 of 21 votes. The only other player to get more than one was Pavel Bure, Vancouver's Russian Rocket.

Voting results: Lemieux (14), Bure (3), Pat LaFontaine (1), Teemu Selanne (1), Jeremy Roenick (1), Wayne Gretzky (1).

Smartest player: Mario Lemieux

Voting results: Lemieux (11), Ray Bourque (2), Adam Oates (2), Doug Gilmour (2), Wayne Gretzky (2), Chris Chelios (1), Pavel Bure (1).

Best penalty killer: Dave Poulin

As a team, the Bruins' penalty killing efficiency could use some improvement (16th over-all), but Boston centre Dave Poulin still gets top marks in this discipline - only just.

Poulin received four votes and five others, including Gilmour, had two each in a diversified vote. The notable absentee? Washington's Kelly Miller.

Voting results: Poulin (4), Gilmour (2), Mario Lemieux (2), Pavel Bure (2), Dirk Graham (2), Sergei Fedorov (2), Mike Ridley (2), Gaetan Duchesne (1), Neal Broten (1), Craig MacTavish (1), Guy Carbonneau (1), Ron Wilson (1).

Best skater: Pavel Bure

Eight coaches chose Bure, while four opted for New York Rangers veteran Mike Gartner, who won the fastest skater title at the all- star skills competition.

"Bure has the best combination of speed, agility and balance," one NHL coach said. "He can also use change of speed better than anybody in the league right now."

Voting results: Bure (8), Gartner (4), Paul Coffey (3), Sergei Fedorov (2), Teemu Selanne (2), Pat LaFontaine (1), Chris Chelios (1).

Subban, I think, works well to a large degree also. P.K. tries to dance around the opposition frequently, which is something Pavel would sometimes do:

As a defenseman, Subban also tends to retrieve the puck deep in his own zone and then carries it into the offensive zone, sometimes dodging an opposition player in the neutral zone, which is something Bure did often as a forward since it gave him the opportunity to enter the offensive zone with the puck (and because he was the best skater on the team); he enjoyed quarterbacking the breakout in general. He also played at the point on the powerplay quite frequently.

I have not yet completed my next video project, but in the meantime we can revisit this analytical footage reel of pre-1998 Pavel (more specifically, Pavel in his first three seasons -- the player in his purest form):

Quote:
Works Cited

McKenzie, Bob. "And this Year's Winners are . . . the Star's Bob McKenzie's Best of Everything Coaches' Poll Results." Toronto Star: 0. Feb 13 1993. ProQuest. Web. 27 Oct. 2013 .

Last edited by JetsAlternate: 07-21-2014 at 10:50 PM.
Old
07-21-2014, 10:52 PM
monster_bertuzzi

Ovechkin.

monster_bertuzzi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-21-2014, 10:54 PM
JetsAlternate

Quote:
Originally Posted by monster_bertuzzi View Post
Ovechkin.
I don't think that's a very suitable comparison, actually. Alex is a north-south player whose greatest asset is his shot. I firmly believe the best comparisons for Bure are Patrick Kane and P.K. Subban. Ovechkin receives a lot of comparisons to Bure because they are both goal scorers and they are both Russian. In Alex's first few seasons, he relied more heavily on his speed than he does now, but he still did not resemble Bure in his style of play. Their positioning and tendencies are different.

Old
07-21-2014, 11:10 PM
mrhockey193195

I see some of Bure in MacKinnon. Admitedly, I haven't watched as much of MacKinnon as most though.

mrhockey193195 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-21-2014, 11:28 PM
Art of Sedinery

Maybe I am wrong, but I see Kane as more of a circle the offensive zone a couple times until a shot or back door tap in opens up. Has the hands, but not the speed Bure did. It seemes like Bure would pick up the puck in his own zone and dangle every one on the way to the net as fast as possible, while Kane would take as long as it took.

If Bure played in the shootout era, I don't think you'd ever see him come down super slow just so he could make 20 moves before roofing it.

Art of Sedinery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-21-2014, 11:32 PM
DisgruntledGoat

Taylor Hall's game is all speed and acceleration, and when he's on, he's all over the puck and driving the net with the kind of feisty, reckless abandon that Bure used to.

Hall is not as natural a goal-scorer as Bure, though, and he's not the stickhandler Pavel was. Cross Bure with Glenn Anderson, and you'd probably get something like Hall (no, I'm not saying he's as good as either).

DisgruntledGoat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-22-2014, 12:07 AM
Stephen

Quote:
Originally Posted by JetsAlternate View Post
I don't think that's a very suitable comparison, actually. Alex is a north-south player whose greatest asset is his shot. I firmly believe the best comparisons for Bure are Patrick Kane and P.K. Subban. Ovechkin receives a lot of comparisons to Bure because they are both goal scorers and they are both Russian. In Alex's first few seasons, he relied more heavily on his speed than he does now, but he still did not resemble Bure in his style of play. Their positioning and tendencies are different.
When Ovechkin was young his explosiveness looked a lot like Bure's when he'd try to go coast to coast.

Stephen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-22-2014, 12:28 AM
vadim sharifijanov
Rrbata

jetsalternate, i never get sick of watching your videos.

vadim sharifijanov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-22-2014, 01:14 AM
Hockey Crazy

Kessel more than Kane...

Hockey Crazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-22-2014, 01:28 AM
MS

Quote:
Originally Posted by JetsAlternate View Post
Bure and Ovechkin are as close as it gets.

Bure got more hype for his speed (obviously) but his best trait and the reason he was such a dominant player and scored so many goals was his shot. Only Brett Hull had a better one-timer in the NHL.

Ovechkin doesn't go end to end as much as he did in his early years but early-20s Ovechkin was the closest thing we've seen to Bure. Albeit bigger and a bit more dominant overall.

MS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-22-2014, 01:32 AM
Plastic Joseph

MacKinnon has the explosive acceleration much like Bure, not that they are entirely similar but there are definitely comparisons to be made.

Plastic Joseph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-22-2014, 01:33 AM
TheDevilMadeMe
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by MS View Post

Bure got more hype for his speed (obviously) but his best trait and the reason he was such a dominant player and scored so many goals was his shot. Only Brett Hull had a better one-timer in the NHL.

Ovechkin doesn't go end to end as much as he did in his early years but early-20s Ovechkin was the closest thing we've seen to Bure. Albeit bigger and a bit more dominant overall.
Current Ovechkin plays more like Brett Hull than Pavel Bure, however.

Old
07-22-2014, 02:29 AM
monster_bertuzzi

Quote:

Yeah, Subban is an extremely bizarre comparison. Kane is a pass first winger. The only similarities would be they're in that 5'9-5'10 range and left handed IMO, but it ends there. The new Kariya would be a better match for Kane.

monster_bertuzzi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-22-2014, 02:57 AM
TheDevilMadeMe
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by monster_bertuzzi View Post
Yeah, Subban is an extremely bizarre comparison. Kane is a pass first winger. The only similarities would be they're in that 5'9-5'10 range and left handed IMO, but it ends there. The new Kariya would be a better match for Kane.
I think the way Kane handles the puck at high speeds through traffic is Bure-like but I agree that once he gets into the offensive zone, he plays quite differently. I don't understand the Subban comparison either.

Old
07-22-2014, 03:38 AM
Brainiac

Yakupov if he ever lives up to his talent? I know he's not there yet, won't ever be as good as Bure. But in terms of style, you can see some similarities.

Brainiac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-22-2014, 04:15 AM
MS

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDevilMadeMe View Post
Current Ovechkin plays more like Brett Hull than Pavel Bure, however.
So did old Bure to an extent after all the knee problems.

People have the romantic image, 20 years later, of Bure scoring all of his goals on brilliant, explosive end-to-end rushes. And he did score a lot of goals that way. But for every rush goal he scored, he scored 2 or 3 while standing still by simply blowing the puck by the goalie on one-timers.

MS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-22-2014, 04:20 AM
JetsAlternate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brainiac View Post
Yakupov if he ever lives up to his talent? I know he's not there yet, won't ever be as good as Bure. But in terms of style, you can see some similarities.
So far, I haven't seen many similarities at all. Yakupov idolizes Bure, but he doesn't play much like him.

The reason Pavel is compared to Patrick Kane is because of the way they operate in the offensive zone; setting aside the fact Kane is a pass-first player, their positioning in the offensive zone is very similar. They support the puck and wander in the offensive zone; they don't exactly stay on one side of the ice like most forwards do. When the puck is deep in the offensive zone, they serve to support the puck. Their positioning depends largely on where the puck is in the offensive zone. Kane is unafraid to carry the puck all around the offensive zone. He is unafraid to be anywhere on the ice in the offensive zone. Some players stick to a certain side or prefer to be in certain areas on the ice, but Kane positions himself anywhere in the offensive zone depending on where the puck is. It does not matter whether he is designated a left winger or a right winger; he'll play the puck on either side of the ice and circle around the zone. Sometimes he'll even move up high to take the point for a one-timer or to make a play from up there. His agility provides him with great mobility in the zone. He also likes to be creative with the puck, and has a knack for carrying it around.

For example:

Here is another of my earlier works, featuring examples of similar play from Pavel:

Here is a preview of my next work, which focuses squarely on one game and Pavel's positioning in it. Watch his positioning:

Quote:
So did old Bure to an extent after all the knee problems.

People have the romantic image, 20 years later, of Bure scoring all of his goals on brilliant, explosive end-to-end rushes. And he did score a lot of goals that way. But for every rush goal he scored, he scored 2 or 3 while standing still by simply blowing the puck by the goalie on one-timers.
Post-1998 Bure did not move anywhere near as much as pre-1998 Bure did. In general, he seemed less mobile, unable to play the way he used to. The knee injury seemed to take a huge toll on his agility. Your analysis of Bure in his Florida days is agreeable.

Remember, we are separating pre-1998 Bure from post-1998 Bure. My goal has been to place them into two distinct categories because Pavel's style of play before 1998 does not resemble his style of play after 1998. We must recall that the way players approach the game can change -- we've seen this with Alex Ovechkin, Stan Mikita, Steve Yzerman, and others. I'll be exploring that over the Summer and upcoming Fall with regards to Bure.

Hull and Ovechkin stand still in the offensive zone much of the time and hardly move their legs to the extent that early Bure or Kane would. Lately, Ovechkin has remained on one side of the ice for the most part, staying within a specific shooting region and looking for players to set up one-timers. Early Pavel moved his feet actively and was anywhere in the offensive zone depending on where the puck was, much like what we see from Kane now. He played a puck support game. I've provided a plethora of footage showing Pavel's usual positioning and highlighting his tendencies.

Aside from the footage of his positioning and tendencies above, we can look at his goals from the second half of the 1992-93 season and from the 1994 playoffs, as they are placed neatly by the uploader in chronological order:

Last edited by JetsAlternate: 07-22-2014 at 05:02 AM.
Old
07-22-2014, 05:19 AM
begbeee

It´s basically Marian Gaborik with Kane´s hands.

begbeee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-22-2014, 05:30 AM
86Habs

Nate MacKinnon?

86Habs is offline   Reply With Quote