HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Notices

"Jagr virtually guaranteed playoff berth"

Closed Thread

Old
09-13-2005, 03:50 PM
RANGERDIEHARD

vCash: 500
"Jagr virtually guaranteed playoff berth"

Pretty strong words...but then again what do you expect a pro athlete to say before the season even starts - "I don't think we have a shot in the world".

http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/ho...p-295170c.html

Old
09-13-2005, 04:55 PM
HockeyBasedNYC

Ok Jagr, lets see it.

Old
09-13-2005, 05:00 PM
Luigi Lemieux

if it's the jagr of old, i don't think it's impossible. for example, the '99 penguins had no business making the playoffs let alone ousting the devils in the first round. he did it that year playing with kip miller and jan hrdina. he can carry a team if he's on.

Old
09-13-2005, 05:03 PM
Fire Sather
Play Like a Pug

vCash: 50
Send a message via AIM to Fire Sather
Well Jags, chip in our 50 goals and we'll see.

Old
09-13-2005, 05:12 PM
NYR469

i think jagr enjoyed his russian vodka last season and still has a few bottles left over...

Old
09-13-2005, 05:18 PM
Edge

Be honest with you, if he is serious and focused the team actually does stand a chance.

If no other reason that i think people have forgotten just how dominating Jagr is when he is in the zone and plugged in.

With the rule changes and if Jagr is motivated, Jagr is a potential 50 goal 100 point player (at least). And if he is that player any team he is on at least has a shot.

Now whether or not he actually regains that form is an unknown.

Old
09-13-2005, 05:22 PM
sensens

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark Metamorphosis
if it's the jagr of old, i don't think it's impossible. for example, the '99 penguins had no business making the playoffs let alone ousting the devils in the first round. he did it that year playing with kip miller and jan hrdina. he can carry a team if he's on.
I hope he's not just whistling Dixie... I have him in my pool and it would be huge if he can regain 90-100pt form. The potential top line of Straka-Nylander-Jagr could be very dangerous, though, especially on the PP. The question is, who else will be making the defense think twice when the Rangers are in town?

Old
09-13-2005, 05:32 PM
Edge

Quote:
Originally Posted by sensens
I hope he's not just whistling Dixie... I have him in my pool and it would be huge if he can regain 90-100pt form. The potential top line of Straka-Nylander-Jagr could be very dangerous, though, especially on the PP. The question is, who else will be making the defense think twice when the Rangers are in town?
A testament to his skill is that if healthy, even a phoned in Jagr is still a point per game 80 point player.

Old
09-13-2005, 05:43 PM
True Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edge
With the rule changes and if Jagr is motivated, Jagr is a potential 50 goal 100 point player (at least). And if he is that player any team he is on at least has a shot.
Making him a perfect person that can (hopefully) fetch a good bounty at the deadline.

Old
09-13-2005, 07:01 PM
shoothepuck

Playoffs in a rebuild year would be great after none in so many years, but I think like was said, it's the vodka talking

Old
09-13-2005, 07:05 PM
boredmale

I think having alot of players on 1 year contracts might be good for the rangers. Everybody will be hungry for that next contract so will play there hearts out. I definantly see the rangers challenging for a playoff spot.

Old
09-14-2005, 08:38 AM
The Sneak

Quote:
Originally Posted by True Blue
Making him a perfect person that can (hopefully) fetch a good bounty at the deadline.

Those days are over my friend. With Jagr's cap number being what it is I can't imagine many teams that would have the space to slot him in (without dismantling their club). Trade deadlines are not going to be nearly as much fun as they have been in the past

Old
09-14-2005, 08:41 AM
SingnBluesOnBroadway
Retired

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Sneak
Those days are over my friend. With Jagr's cap number being what it is I can't imagine many teams that would have the space to slot him in (without dismantling their club). Trade deadlines are not going to be nearly as much fun as they have been in the past

Cap number? He's making slightly more than Adrian Aucoin.

Old
09-14-2005, 08:51 AM
Levitate

I think Jagr is pretty much the most talented guy in the league still...unless you want to consider Lemieux. But if he played up to his full potential, Jagr would be the best player in the league easily

Old
09-14-2005, 09:00 AM
The Sneak

Quote:
Originally Posted by SingnBluesOnBroadway
Cap number? He's making slightly more than Adrian Aucoin.

Still figuring out the details of the CBA and the cap. So to clarify, if Jagr were to be traded the new team would only be on the hook for the Rangers portion of the contract? Washington will carry the cap burden (no pun intended) for as long as the contract is in effect?

Old
09-14-2005, 09:01 AM
True Blue

Quote:
Still figuring out the details of the CBA and the cap. So to clarify, if Jagr were to be traded the new team would only be on the hook for the Rangers portion of the contract? Washington will carry the cap burden (no pun intended) for as long as the contract is in effect?
Correct

Old
09-14-2005, 09:03 AM
ChrisKreider20
Oh Hai Guise

we'll get a preview through exhibition matches soon anyways... If Jagr scores over 120 points I can guarantee we're in the playoffs.

Old
09-14-2005, 09:05 AM
ChrisKreider20
Oh Hai Guise

Quote:
we're not trading him. I'm buying a Jagr jersey and at least have it worthwhile fo 3 years. Don't speak of trades.

Old
09-14-2005, 09:06 AM
octopi

vCash: 703
Quote:
Whoa, suddenly realized why the Caps are being super stingy.

Old
09-14-2005, 09:08 AM
Drake1588
UNATCO

Just for clarity: The league is not counting the amount that the Capitals are paying New York against Washington's salary cap. The money is real, but the cap hit is excused where Washington is concerned. New York (and by extension, whatever team would be trading for him) receives a cap hit only for its portion of the salary being paid out.

The Capitals are paying the Rangers a total of $10.545 million between 2005-06 and 2007-08, or $3.515 million for each of the three guaranteed years left on the deal. Those are the post-rollback figures. None of that counts against Washington's cap, though.

Old
09-14-2005, 09:10 AM
True Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unseenpunk
we're not trading him. I'm buying a Jagr jersey and at least have it worthwhile fo 3 years. Don't speak of trades.
This is supposed to be a rebuilding team, right? Who better to trade?
Amazing, how quick the word "rebuild" is forgotten. Sorry, but it makes perfect sense to trade him at the deadline.

Old
09-14-2005, 09:22 AM
SingnBluesOnBroadway
Retired

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Levitate
I think Jagr is pretty much the most talented guy in the league still...unless you want to consider Lemieux. But if he played up to his full potential, Jagr would be the best player in the league easily

I agree with that.

Old
09-14-2005, 10:08 AM
NYR469

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unseenpunk
we'll get a preview through exhibition matches soon anyways... If Jagr scores over 120 points I can guarantee we're in the playoffs.
of course that might also mean that jagr is being double or triple shifted...

Old
09-14-2005, 10:10 AM
Levitate

Quote:
This is supposed to be a rebuilding team, right? Who better to trade?
Amazing, how quick the word "rebuild" is forgotten. Sorry, but it makes perfect sense to trade him at the deadline.
who's forgetting the word "rebuild"?

if there was a good deal for jagr, I'd do it. I have no problem with that at all. But a good deal would mean a deal for a young star player in my mind. Something the rangers need. Jagr is a great player but a young star player will be around for a lot longer and be more valuable.

i'm not too optimistic about trading him though, i think his attitude might scuttle any good trade. he's been pretty vocal about only wanting to play in NY...

Old
09-14-2005, 10:13 AM
jas
Unsatisfied

Quote:
Originally Posted by Levitate
who's forgetting the word "rebuild"?

if there was a good deal for jagr, I'd do it. I have no problem with that at all. But a good deal would mean a deal for a young star player in my mind. Something the rangers need. Jagr is a great player but a young star player will be around for a lot longer and be more valuable.

i'm not too optimistic about trading him though, i think his attitude might scuttle any good trade. he's been pretty vocal about only wanting to play in NY...
A good deal would be something a little better than the Leetch deal - two quality prospects and two #1 picks.

Closed Thread