HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Balej-Lundmark..who's development is more vital?

Closed Thread

Old
09-14-2005, 10:46 AM
JR#9*

vCash: 500
Balej-Lundmark..who's development is more vital?

and which guy should be getting 2nd line RW and PP duties?

Looks like Lundy will have to sink or swim as a RW so he and Balej will be in direct competition for ice time so I think it's going to be interesting as to who gets slotted where and with what center.

My take is that I think Balej should get 2nd line and PP duties because I think he has better upside, especially as a goalscorer so I say he gets the nod over Lundy.

Lundy to me will never reach his potential of when he was drafted.I still think he can be a really nice 3rd line winger if he steps up the grit just a bit and he can still pot 15-20 goals from that spot but I don't see him warranting PP time, especially over Balej.

Both guys are in make or break yrs IMO, Lundy more so but it's also time for Balej to take the next step if he is do so.

All that being said I don't mind Balej playing w/Immonen as he is the better playmaker rather than Rucchin.Maybe switch LW's and give Rosie to Immonen-Balej if they develop into the 2nd scoring line and put Niemmenen w/Rucchin-lundy which IMO can be a effective 2-way 3rd line with some size and grit to go against other teams top lines.

Just looking for what others are thinking on the Balej-Lundy competition.

Old
09-14-2005, 10:48 AM
Nich

lundy will get 2nd line duties while balej will get third with innomen. i.m.o., i like this. it takes presure off of bajel and innomen early, and i still feel for some reason that jamie is going to turn it around. if he hustles, i think he will surprise.

Old
09-14-2005, 10:49 AM
Fletch

Right now JR...

I think it's pretty even and whoever plays harder and is more productive is the one that should be the focus. Both are at similar stages of development. Lundmark's older, but for all intents and purposes, neither is more advanced than the other. I like Lundmark on the PP because of his one-time shot (from the left side, though). I like Balej on the PP because of his abililty to move the puck and make the play. Ideally you'd have Balej on the right feeding to Lundmark on the left. This isn't ideal. So I think there should be equal focus and both be given similar chances to succeed at this point.

Old
09-14-2005, 10:59 AM
charliemurphy

I think Lundmark is going to be dealt at some point this season.

Old
09-14-2005, 11:02 AM
nyranger61494
YNWA

Lundmark will only be dealt if he does not play well...they are not just going to deal him to deal him. 3rd line minutes are not chump change either. I imagine Balej will get time on the 2nd PP Unit and play 16-17 minutes a line with Immonen. I think Lundmark is finally getting the chance that will prove whether he is the goods or not. I believe both players will have good seasons.

Old
09-14-2005, 11:11 AM
Davisian

I just want to see more fire and spark from both. They'll never be bangers, or very physical, but the one who uses his speed to forecheck, and backcheck, while playing with a bit of a chip will be the guy I'm rooting for.

Old
09-14-2005, 11:11 AM
jas
Unsatisfied

SEMANTICS! 2nd line...3rd line whatever. Lundmark played well next to Holik and Messier, so putting him next to a bigger center is no surprise. Balej needs more of a playmaker, so Immonen fits the bill. The Rucinsky-Rucchin combo is more likely to be used in a defensive mode, going against top lines, while Niemenen-Immonen-Balej is going to be used as a 2nd scoring like. Much ado about nothing.

Last edited by jas: 09-14-2005 at 11:40 AM.
Old
09-14-2005, 11:22 AM
True Blue

Who needs to develop them both? As long as one plays somewhere and Rucinsky plays 16 minutes a night, all is well.

Old
09-14-2005, 11:30 AM
Ola

Quote:
Originally Posted by jas
SEMANTICS! 2nd line...3rd line whatever. Lundmark played well next to Holik and Messier, so putting him next to a bigger center is no surprise. Balej needs more of a playmake, so immonen fits the bill. The Rucinsky-Rucchin combo is more likely to be used in a defensive mode, going against top lines, while Niemenen-Immonen-Balej is going to be used as a 2nd scoring like. Much ado about nothing.
Good point, had not looked at it like that. Rucinsky-Rucchin-Lundmark could like you said be used as a somewhat of a checkingline. With for example Nieminen-Immonen-Balej and Hollweg-Moore/Betts-Ortmayer as 3a 3b lines.

Another option, not one that I would prefer, but some coaches strongly belives in having 2 scoring lines and 2 checking lines.

In that case we would probably see something like this:
Straka-Nylander-Jagr
Rucinsky-Rucchin/Immonen-Balej/Lundmark
Nieminen-Rucchin/Betts-Ward
Hollweg-Betts/Moore-Ortmayer

Right now my team would be:
1. Straka-Nylander-Jagr//25 minutes a night. Have potential to put us on the board on any night. Would also be a torn in the side because teams would have to focus on this line when they play against us.
2. Rucinsky-Rucchin-Lundmark/Prucha//Would be used against the other teams top line. There will be more skating in the "new NHL". A line that can cover allot of ice will be conditionally hard to play against over 60 minutes.
3a. Nieminen-Immonen-Balej//I want the 3a and 3b lines to be rolled equally. Players that only play 5 on 5 wouldn't see more then 10 minutes a night.
3.b Hollweg-Moore/Betts-Ortmayer

Old
09-14-2005, 11:50 AM
Fletch

Ola...

I would think that we wouldn't be seeing Balej and Niemimen out there as little as Ortmeyer and Betts. Where's Ward?

Old
09-14-2005, 11:56 AM
True Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ola
1. Straka-Nylander-Jagr//25 minutes a night. Have potential to put us on the board on any night. Would also be a torn in the side because teams would have to focus on this line when they play against us.
2. Rucinsky-Rucchin-Lundmark/Prucha//Would be used against the other teams top line. There will be more skating in the "new NHL". A line that can cover allot of ice will be conditionally hard to play against over 60 minutes.
3a. Nieminen-Immonen-Balej//I want the 3a and 3b lines to be rolled equally. Players that only play 5 on 5 wouldn't see more then 10 minutes a night.
3.b Hollweg-Moore/Betts-Ortmayer
1. Isn't 25 minutes a night a tad high? What's wrong with 18?
2. You are having Rucinsky & Lundmark or Prucha take on the top wings of the league? Good luck.
3. Your third liners should see some PK time.
4. Why wouldn't Balej play more than Ortmeyer?

Those lines would get plastered against the boards on a nightly basis. Utterly wiped off the ice. Anyone remember when we used to talk of rolling 4 lines?

Old
09-14-2005, 11:58 AM
eco's bones

I would say they start off dead even and if one outperforms the other that will be how you decide coming out of camp. It would be nice if they would both do well and if one was on the 2nd line and slumping you could always replace him with the other. Of the 2 I would think Balej will in the long run put up better numbers. Lundmark however might be more flexible in how you can use him. He's played all the positions. He's penalty killed.

Old
09-14-2005, 11:59 AM
Larry Melnyk

I agree with Fletch and Davisian....It's all up to Balej and Lundmark...Both have recently been disappointing and both need to show how hungry and productive they are or can be..I think it's unfair that Lundmark has the opening edge, but the proof will be in their performance.....

ANd I really only see one of the two making the squad (i.e, not on the 4th line) and the other will either be jettisoned (Lundy) or sent to Hartford for one more shot (Balej)....And if niether perform, it would be natural that Prucha would enter into the equation somehow...

OLA - Somehow, I don't see the Rangers going with a 3a and 3b lineup and, if Rucchin is on the 2nd line, Betts (health permitting) should be the 3rd C with guys like Moore, Immonen and Orts battling for the 4th spot....

Straka-Nylander-Jagr
Rucinsky-Rucchin-Lundmark
Niemenin-Betts-Ward (though he shouldn't be handed a job either)
Hollweg-Moore/Immonen-Ortmemeir

Little ice time for youngsters, that's for sure..

Old
09-14-2005, 12:54 PM
Ola

Quote:
Originally Posted by True Blue
1. Isn't 25 minutes a night a tad high? What's wrong with 18?
Sorry you are right. Id go with 18 minutes and a big % of the PP time.

Quote:
2. You are having Rucinsky & Lundmark or Prucha take on the top wings of the league? Good luck.
Won't need any luck. Rucinsky-Rucchin are good players.

Quote:
4. Why wouldn't Balej play more than Ortmeyer?
Cause the tandem Hollweg&Ortmayer are world class energy players. They showed it in HFD last year. Without a normal checking line we will need atleast 10 minutes of extremely hardworking players like Jed and Ryan. If for example Balej is having a good night move him up to the Rucchin&Rucinsky line.

Quote:
Those lines would get plastered against the boards on a nightly basis. Utterly wiped off the ice. Anyone remember when we used to talk of rolling 4 lines?
Its strange, the fans who complains the most that they want a rebuild is the ones who have the biggest problem with not having a strong lineup. Sure Sather could probably have put together a better team if he were willing to take on long contracts. He wasn't. Next year Jessiman, Staals and Korpikoski will be ready. And probably atleast 1 or 2 of players like Kozak, Dubinsky and Graham for example.

Old
09-14-2005, 01:03 PM
jas
Unsatisfied

Quote:
Next year Jessiman, Staals and Korpikoski will be ready. And probably atleast 1 or 2 of players like Kozak, Dubinsky and Graham for example.
Yup, that's what I'm thinking.

Old
09-14-2005, 01:09 PM
True Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ola
Won't need any luck. Rucinsky-Rucchin are good players.
What makes you think that Rucchin is a defensive player? And this is the same Martin Rucincky that we have watched last year, right?

"Cause the tandem Hollweg&Ortmayer are world class energy players."

Ok, but the fact remains that at this point and time Orrmeyer is a borderline 4th liner. Borderline 4th liners should not be playing the same amount of minutes as our top 6 forward hopefuls. Hollyweg has a chance to be a good third line player. But he still should not be recieving the ice time as that of a top 6 hopefull.

"Its strange, the fans who complains the most that they want a rebuild is the ones who have the biggest problem with not having a strong lineup."

What does having a rebuild have anything to do with having players that are willing to stand up for their teamates and not be afraid of getting their noses dirty around the net and in corners?

"Sure Sather could probably have put together a better team if he were willing to take on long contracts. He wasn't."

Again, what does that have to do with having players not be pushed around?

"Next year Jessiman, Staals and Korpikoski will be ready."

Still not quite sure of what that has to do with your lineup composition.

Old
09-14-2005, 01:12 PM
Edge
Kris King's Ghost

I think Balej was more goal scoring potential, I think Lundmark has a chance to be a more rounded player.

I think Lundmark can bang, he'll never be a monster but he could he does have some grit when he feels like it. Last year in the AHL and his rookie year in Juniors are good examples.

The thing Lundmark needs to find is consistency. There are just some games it doesn't seem to be there.

Old
09-14-2005, 01:15 PM
NYR469

first off what has balej done to warrant ice time over lundmark?? lundmark outplayed balej in hartford...being the new guy doesn't make your potential higher...

second, why does it have to be an either or situation?? if both lundmark and balej show they deserve top 6 minutes then shouldn't the issue be which veteran gets bumped?? to me that is how the rangers will show how truly committed they are to the rebuild. if 2 guys from the group of lundmark, balej, immonen, prucha, jessiman and dawes show they are ready for top 6 minutes will they drop a vet to the 3rd line to make room or will they deal away a vet?? because if a kid who is ready for top 6 minutes gets bumped cause they refuse to remove rucinsky then it doesn't matter which of the 2 kids gets the spot cause we aren't rebuilding.

Old
09-14-2005, 01:18 PM
SingnBluesOnBroadway
Retired

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ola
Next year Jessiman, Staals and Korpikoski will be ready. And probably atleast 1 or 2 of players like Kozak, Dubinsky and Graham for example.

Staal will be ready next year? Or Stals? I don't think Staal will be ready next season.

Old
09-14-2005, 01:21 PM
Levitate

staal would have to either play in the NHL next year or be back in the CHL, I believe...I don't think he'll be old enough for the AHL, is that right? seems to me that it'll be 2 more years of juniors before he really has a shot at the Rangers. but reports said he was holding his own in training camp so far...so who knows.

my money is on at least a couple of years though

Old
09-14-2005, 01:22 PM
Davisian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SingnBluesOnBroadway
Staal will be ready next year? Or Stals? I don't think Staal will be ready next season.

He meant the new bathroom stalls in the revamped garden will be ready.

I hear they're top notch. Graffiti proof. But it kind of sucks that I can't take out the key chain and carve out the ode

"Here I sit all broken hearted..."

Old
09-14-2005, 01:23 PM
Levitate

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYR469
first off what has balej done to warrant ice time over lundmark?? lundmark outplayed balej in hartford...being the new guy doesn't make your potential higher...

second, why does it have to be an either or situation?? if both lundmark and balej show they deserve top 6 minutes then shouldn't the issue be which veteran gets bumped?? to me that is how the rangers will show how truly committed they are to the rebuild. if 2 guys from the group of lundmark, balej, immonen, prucha, jessiman and dawes show they are ready for top 6 minutes will they drop a vet to the 3rd line to make room or will they deal away a vet?? because if a kid who is ready for top 6 minutes gets bumped cause they refuse to remove rucinsky then it doesn't matter which of the 2 kids gets the spot cause we aren't rebuilding.

and it's really not a huge deal to put rucinsky on the 3rd line...i think he's a solid player but he's not someone who is gonna be shackled by playing on the third line either. and, theoretically at least, even if the rangers were more concerned about winning games and reaching the playoffs, you'd think it'd still make sense for them to give more icetime to the player who's playing better...so if someone is outplaying rucinsky, that someone should get the icetime no matter what.

Old
09-14-2005, 01:25 PM
SingnBluesOnBroadway
Retired

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Davisian
He meant the new bathroom stalls in the revamped garden will be ready.

I hear they're top notch. Graffiti proof. But it kind of sucks that I can't take out the key chain and carve out the ode

"Here I sit all broken hearted..."
Why rush it? The new stalls should get their feet wet in Hartford. Or at the very least, they need to beat out the existing stalls at the Garden. No stall should be just handed a spot. If you do, you run the risk of ruining that stall.

Old
09-14-2005, 01:27 PM
True Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYR469
My point exactly.

Old
09-14-2005, 01:51 PM
JR#9*

I'm all for the kids making the big club in top 6 roles BUT they have to earn it and truth be told I think BOTH Lundy-Balej took steps backwards last yr and it wouldn't suprise me in the least that if one or 2 of the kids make it it will be niether of these guys.

I had high hopes for Jamie but he has been a major disappointment on multiple levels and it all can't be traced back to lack of icetime.

The kid has yet to play with any grit, he hasn't shown any scoring touch and he still is too weak on his skates, not a good combo for a guy his size and 23 yrs old already.

Balej to me has the makings of a nice 2nd line sniper and he can make a major jump like he did in the AHL but he too took a step backwards and needs to earn whatever time he is to recieve by his play.If he isn't putting the puck in the net then he shouldn't be handed a spot due to his age.

Bottom line is everybody calling for the kids to be given all these top end spots start all their points with one word----IF--- and that is a very big IF.

Let these guys outplay some of these vets before we start complaining about lack of icetime for the Balejs and Lundy's of the team because if they don't sieze the opportunity then they should not just be handed the minutes because of the state of the team.

My guess is that a guy like Dawes or an Immonen makes more of their shots than either of Jamie-Balej do.

It up to young players to force managements hand into playing them, run through walls, crash the net play the body, make it so that they HAVE to play you significant minutes but what you do when given the chance.

Closed Thread