HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Enigmatic Yakupov and The Bounce Back

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
07-25-2014, 01:33 AM
  #51
Soundwave
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 32,815
vCash: 500
It was disheartening to see him so excited in camp/pre-season last year, there was a buzz any time he touched the puck, only to be put in the coaching dog house so quickly.

Benching him wasn't a smart move IMO, you have to know how a player reacts, Yakupov was too tentative and scared after that, but the whole team was in a chaos.

Soundwave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-25-2014, 01:43 AM
  #52
dobiezeke*
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Posts: 3,418
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Soundwave View Post
It was disheartening to see him so excited in camp/pre-season last year, there was a buzz any time he touched the puck, only to be put in the coaching dog house so quickly.

Benching him wasn't a smart move IMO, you have to know how a player reacts, Yakupov was too tentative and scared after that, but the whole team was in a chaos.
Devil's advocate - perhaps it was good to see how he reacted. Yak was buzzing at the start of the season but not doing his job on a nightly basis. Good to see how a young player responds to adversity. Do you want this kid to succeed or do you want him to feel entitled to a roster spot?

I believe he will come into camp this year with a better sense of what it takes to play daily in the NHL.

dobiezeke* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-25-2014, 02:35 AM
  #53
Spawn
Registered User
 
Spawn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Edmonton
Country: Canada
Posts: 30,524
vCash: 500
Quote:
Nail Yakupov @Nail10_1993 3h

Good bye MOSCOW ... We are going to my second home. #edmonton #workhard #notreallyearlymorning😃 http://instagram.com/p/q3DSUrCztS/
Nice to see him coming here in the middle of the summer, opposed to a week or so before training camp starts. Who knows, maybe him and Draisaitl can get working out together and be ready to create some magic this season.

I have my doubts about him, but man I really hope he is awesome next year. For the Oilers sake, but just as importantly for him. I think having such a poor year really drained him. A good year could do wonders for the kid. Still only 20 years old.

Spawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-25-2014, 03:07 AM
  #54
Ragss
Registered User
 
Ragss's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 1,698
vCash: 500
Dude's got a murse.

Ragss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-25-2014, 04:44 AM
  #55
Connor McSaviour
97
 
Connor McSaviour's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,236
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by aleshemsky83 View Post
Yes, I like to think being a canadian, we dont have any of that idiotic stuff, but I think about that islamic school that was closed for a few weeks on the North side after 9/11 because of threats and I realize that even here there is a lot of ignorance.

I think if Yakupov was playing well people would accept him, unfortunately he's not so he isn't one of us.

Thankfully there is a large muslim community and fanbase in edmonton though so I think that Yakupov isn't feeling so much of that alienation in the real world, but unfortunately on the internet its very visible.
That's false. I attended that school during the 9/11 attacks and we were still going top school. There was a bomb threat though. Luckily This city is filled with the most fair minded people in Canada excluding the odd nutjob.

But I think Yak is gonna have a HUGE year. I think hes gonna bounce back and show all of us why we fell inlove with him. With a good PP coach in Ramsey and more time on the half wall to unleash his one timer, i think hes gonna score a lot more PP goals. And Yaks the kind of player that gains momentum. So if he gets on a good roll to start the season, I wouldn't be surprised to see 30 or even 40 goals if things start to click for him.

Connor McSaviour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-25-2014, 07:28 AM
  #56
Oilking83
Registered User
 
Oilking83's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Oil Country
Country: Canada
Posts: 550
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spawn View Post
Nice to see him coming here in the middle of the summer, opposed to a week or so before training camp starts. Who knows, maybe him and Draisaitl can get working out together and be ready to create some magic this season.

I have my doubts about him, but man I really hope he is awesome next year. For the Oilers sake, but just as importantly for him. I think having such a poor year really drained him. A good year could do wonders for the kid. Still only 20 years old.
Alright so which one of you guys is yak10_1993?

Oilking83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-25-2014, 07:55 AM
  #57
OiledUp
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Country: Sweden
Posts: 1,390
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spawn View Post
Nice to see him coming here in the middle of the summer, opposed to a week or so before training camp starts. Who knows, maybe him and Draisaitl can get working out together and be ready to create some magic this season.

I have my doubts about him, but man I really hope he is awesome next year. For the Oilers sake, but just as importantly for him. I think having such a poor year really drained him. A good year could do wonders for the kid. Still only 20 years old.
He's obviously coming over early so he can arrange everything before he bolts back to Russia.

OiledUp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-25-2014, 08:37 AM
  #58
Moose Coleman
Registered User
 
Moose Coleman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Posts: 4,016
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by oilinblood View Post
n fact in the washington game prior to his scratching... He proceeded to not do anything on a key draw where boyd told him to simply get ovechkins stick...ovechkin didnt move and neither did yak as he simply watched
I remember that goal and after reading this, went back to watch. It was a set play by Washington that had Ovi parked at the top left of the circle. Gordon got beat on the draw, Yakupov went to cover Ovi, but for some reason, they had no one assigned to cover Johansson , who was able to skate in, retrieve the puck and get it to Ovi for the one timer with no one in the passing lane. Yak was flatfooted, but if you re-watch that sequence, it's a pretty typical Oilers team breakdown.

Moose Coleman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-25-2014, 08:41 AM
  #59
McCupofOil
McJesus Has Risen!!!
 
McCupofOil's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: 5-14-6-1
Country: United States
Posts: 18,150
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Puritania View Post
I meant on these boards. A lot of posters were saying he would be better than Stammer. He got drafted by the Oilers and his stock plummeted. Now he's a bust and a KHL flight risk. Go figure.
That's not true at all man. I think some Oiler fans are going a little overboard with this Oiler fan inferiority complex and overprotectiveness of Yak.
He was hyped like crazy the season before his draft year, that's when the comparisons to Stamkos began (mainly because he was a Sarnia sniper). HIs rookie year in the OHL was outstanding.
I think the general consensus was that he had a very good draft year but not quite as good as most expected coming off of an explosive rookie season. Had a fairly underwhelming WJC and then got shut down in the OHL playoffs so i think the hype died down for him a bit even on HF well before the Oilers won the lottery.

Part of the reason why he was a consensus #1 was because the other top prospects underwhelmed or had serious injuries so Yak was a clear #1 by default otherwise, it would have likely been a lot closer if Galchenyuk and Rielly were healthy. Most were saying that he wasn't quite as good a prospect as Hall but probably a bit better than RNH so the hype for Yak had started to subside well before the draft although still a very good prospect obviously.

I still have hope that he'll become a consistent 30+ goal scorer who is deadly on the PP but i don't see him being much more than that. I just don't think he thinks the game well enough to be an elite goal scorer, he has the physical ability but i think there's something missing between the ears. Would love to be wrong though.


Last edited by McCupofOil: 07-25-2014 at 09:35 AM.
McCupofOil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-25-2014, 12:31 PM
  #60
nexttothemoon
darkness.myoldfriend
 
nexttothemoon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Northern Alberta
Country: Canada
Posts: 11,589
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by oilz89 View Post
How in the heck can you say it won't be with the oilers?? the guy hasn't even played over 150 games! All of a sudden we should trade him?? Are the Panthers gonna trade Huberdeau after his horrible season? Christ
Did I say anywhere in there they SHOULD trade him?

You can shake your head all you want... but it's pretty clear he clashes with Eakins and I don't know if being on the Oilers is going to be the environment where he reaches his ceiling. I simply get the sense that the Oilers consider him less of a core player than some others.

I personally am a big fan of Yak. I love his enthusiasm and "transparency". I think he loves the game and is obviously a hard worker and someone who wants to be the best he can and play the game to the best of his ability. I'm just concerned that the Oilers as a coaching staff won't have the patience and ability to teach him what he needs to learn... we'll see though. Some new blood coming in may indeed help so there's reason for optimism... that and Yak is another year along in his maturity level which is also a positive.

nexttothemoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-25-2014, 01:39 PM
  #61
Ovechking
Registered User
 
Ovechking's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Edmonton, Alberta
Country: Canada
Posts: 8,456
vCash: 732
Quote:
Originally Posted by nexttothemoon View Post
Did I say anywhere in there they SHOULD trade him?

You can shake your head all you want... but it's pretty clear he clashes with Eakins and I don't know if being on the Oilers is going to be the environment where he reaches his ceiling. I simply get the sense that the Oilers consider him less of a core player than some others.

I personally am a big fan of Yak. I love his enthusiasm and "transparency". I think he loves the game and is obviously a hard worker and someone who wants to be the best he can and play the game to the best of his ability. I'm just concerned that the Oilers as a coaching staff won't have the patience and ability to teach him what he needs to learn... we'll see though. Some new blood coming in may indeed help so there's reason for optimism... that and Yak is another year along in his maturity level which is also a positive.
If they don't, they need to be fired immediately. It's their job to turn these boys into men, and teach them how to play the NHL game. With every player they coach, let alone the 1st overall picks.

Ovechking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-25-2014, 01:56 PM
  #62
Trafalgar McLaw
Waive Dallas Eakins
 
Trafalgar McLaw's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Posts: 5,900
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by vegas4ever View Post
And comparing his situation to Hemsky is laughable. You would be the only person that didn't realize the Oilers were pumping Hemsky up to ditch him at the end of the season.
For that big fat 3rd and 5th round pick. It's funny because that's actually leaps and bounds above his trade value at the beginning of the season. MacT literally couldn't give him away without retaining salary last summer. You don't risk the development of a hard working talent like Yakupov just to slightly increase the trade value of a cancerous has been like Hemsky. Stupid decision by a stupid coach in a stupid organization.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ovechking View Post
If they don't, they need to be fired immediately. It's their job to turn these boys into men, and teach them how to play the NHL game. With every player they coach, let alone the 1st overall picks.
This. In every other franchise in every other sport. If a coach and a valuable player clash, the coach is gone immediately. But MacT is letting his pride get in the way and letting Eakins slowly but surely ruin the franchise.

Trafalgar McLaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-25-2014, 02:04 PM
  #63
Poundcake
Esquire
 
Poundcake's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Canada
Posts: 14,540
vCash: 50

Poundcake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-25-2014, 02:04 PM
  #64
ddawg1950
Registered User
 
ddawg1950's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 10,731
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Puritania View Post
The only reason he is called enigmatic is because he is Russian. When was the last time a good old Canadian boy was called enigmatic?
Dustin Penner.

ddawg1950 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-25-2014, 02:32 PM
  #65
oilz89*
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Edmonton
Posts: 2,516
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by nexttothemoon View Post
Did I say anywhere in there they SHOULD trade him?

You can shake your head all you want... but it's pretty clear he clashes with Eakins and I don't know if being on the Oilers is going to be the environment where he reaches his ceiling. I simply get the sense that the Oilers consider him less of a core player than some others.

I personally am a big fan of Yak. I love his enthusiasm and "transparency". I think he loves the game and is obviously a hard worker and someone who wants to be the best he can and play the game to the best of his ability. I'm just concerned that the Oilers as a coaching staff won't have the patience and ability to teach him what he needs to learn... we'll see though. Some new blood coming in may indeed help so there's reason for optimism... that and Yak is another year along in his maturity level which is also a positive.
Wow... if the oilers coaching staff doesn't have the patience for a 20 year old then that means the coaching staff needs to go atleast mostly all of it got changed. Also, how can you not say Eakins was a moron last year. You're saying he was a great coach and that only yak played bad and noone else? Other then Hall and Marty Marincin, i didn't see another player perform better then the year before

oilz89* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-25-2014, 02:32 PM
  #66
oilz89*
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Edmonton
Posts: 2,516
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by OiledUp View Post
He's obviously coming over early so he can arrange everything before he bolts back to Russia.
Yup He's a typical russian

oilz89* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-25-2014, 02:35 PM
  #67
Moose Coleman
Registered User
 
Moose Coleman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Posts: 4,016
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trafalgar Law View Post
For that big fat 3rd and 5th round pick. It's funny because that's actually leaps and bounds above his trade value at the beginning of the season. MacT literally couldn't give him away without retaining salary last summer. You don't risk the development of a hard working talent like Yakupov just to slightly increase the trade value of a cancerous has been like Hemsky. Stupid decision by a stupid coach in a stupid organization.
Your irrational hatred for Hemsky is a neverending source of amusement.

Hemsky got time over Yak because Hemsky is a better player at this point.

Moose Coleman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-25-2014, 02:51 PM
  #68
Trafalgar McLaw
Waive Dallas Eakins
 
Trafalgar McLaw's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Posts: 5,900
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moose Coleman View Post
Your irrational hatred for Hemsky is a neverending source of amusement.

Hemsky got time over Yak because Hemsky is a better player at this point.
I'd say my hatred for Hemsky is quite rational. I'd grown tired of his behaviour and watching him pollute the younger players with it has had a major negative impact on the franchise. I would speak even worse of the likes of O'Sullivan and Nilsson, but thankfully those two pieces of trash were purged from the organization before they could spread their cancerous antics.

Hemsky got time over Yakupov because Eakins wanted to give Hemsky time over Yakupov. Yakupov EARNED the spot in the top 6 based on his 2012-2013 season. Hemsky LOST the spot in the top 6 based on his 2012-2013 season. Yet on day 1 of training camp. Yakupov was immediately put on a line with Boyd Gordon and Jesse Joensuu, while Hemsky was handed a spot on the first line ever since the first practice.

Trafalgar McLaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-25-2014, 02:52 PM
  #69
oilz89*
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Edmonton
Posts: 2,516
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trafalgar Law View Post
I'd say my hatred for Hemsky is quite rational. I'd grown tired of his behaviour and watching him pollute the younger players with it has had a major negative impact on the franchise. I would speak even worse of the likes of O'Sullivan and Nilsson, but thankfully those two pieces of trash were purged from the organization before they could spread their cancerous antics.

Hemsky got time over Yakupov because Eakins wanted to give Hemsky time over Yakupov. Yakupov EARNED the spot in the top 6 based on his 2012-2013 season. Hemsky LOST the spot in the top 6 based on his 2012-2013 season. Yet on day 1 of training camp. Yakupov was immediately put on a line with Boyd Gordon and Jesse Joensuu, while Hemsky was handed a spot on the first line ever since the first practice.
LOL dude Hemsky was never a cancer where do you even get these facts from?

oilz89* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-25-2014, 03:02 PM
  #70
Up the Irons
Registered User
 
Up the Irons's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Canada
Country: Canada
Posts: 6,778
vCash: 408
I put alot on Eakins. He has a thoroughbred on his bench and wants to turn him into a quarterhorse. I realize that, ultimately, the player controls his own destiny, but Eakins couldn't have handled this player worse in his first year as a NHL head coach.

Up the Irons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-25-2014, 03:07 PM
  #71
Moose Coleman
Registered User
 
Moose Coleman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Posts: 4,016
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trafalgar Law View Post
I'd say my hatred for Hemsky is quite rational. I'd grown tired of his behaviour and watching him pollute the younger players with it has had a major negative impact on the franchise.
See what I mean? It's hilarious to watch somebody write so authoritatively and with such conviction on something they don't know the first thing about .

Quote:
Hemsky got time over Yakupov because Eakins wanted to give Hemsky time over Yakupov. Yakupov EARNED the spot in the top 6 based on his 2012-2013 season. Hemsky LOST the spot in the top 6 based on his 2012-2013 season. Yet on day 1 of training camp. Yakupov was immediately put on a line with Boyd Gordon and Jesse Joensuu, while Hemsky was handed a spot on the first line ever since the first practice.
So let's ignore the fact that Hemsky spent the bulk of the season on the third line with Gordon and Smyth, then.

Moose Coleman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-25-2014, 03:15 PM
  #72
Trafalgar McLaw
Waive Dallas Eakins
 
Trafalgar McLaw's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Posts: 5,900
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by oilz89 View Post
LOL dude Hemsky was never a cancer where do you even get these facts from?
He has openly clashed with MacT, Quinn, and Renney throughout the years. He has been either reported by multiple reputable sources in the media to have had work ethic issues and entitlement issues. And before you people turn this into a Mark Spector hate thread, there are a plethora of non-Spector sources for this.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trafalgar Law View Post
I'm sure we all know of Spector's reports of Hemsky's laziness and pouting, so I'm not going to bother posting those. Just a 5 minute search of keywords like "hemsky" "lazy" "role" etc

http://oilersnation.com/2011/12/11/a...u-its-me/score
http://www.canada.com/story_print.ht...5e7a9&sponsor=
http://flamesnation.ca/2009/3/24/the...-talking-about
http://blogs.edmontonjournal.com/201...t-on-the-team/

Hell, even Hemsky's own coaches have called him out for laziness. You can label my comments as baseless speculation, but the guys that work year round with him label him a lazy bum. I'd go with their opinion over the horde of Hemsky fanboys that adamantly defend his honor.
http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/sh...d.php?t=705756
http://slam.canoe.ca/Slam/Hockey/NHL...52611-sun.html

Plus if you go to any Oilers practice, chances are the last player you'll see come on the ice is Ales Hemsky, and the first player you'll see disappear is Ales Hemsky.

Trafalgar McLaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-25-2014, 03:17 PM
  #73
Trafalgar McLaw
Waive Dallas Eakins
 
Trafalgar McLaw's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Posts: 5,900
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moose Coleman View Post
See what I mean? It's hilarious to watch somebody write so authoritatively and with such conviction on something they don't know the first thing about .

So let's ignore the fact that Hemsky spent the bulk of the season on the third line with Gordon and Smyth, then.
I never said Hemsky didn't spend a great deal of time with Gordon and Smyth. I said he was handed a spot on the first line during training camp despite doing nothing to earn it. He lost his first line spot about 10 games into the year after Hall was moved back to LW, and lost his top 6 forward spot period as he got outplayed.

The point is, he was given Yakupov's spot in the top 6 for no reason. And it severely affected Yakupov's confidence and overall performance this season, and perhaps has caused irreversible damage to his development. All because Eakins had to hand candy to his favourite player.

Trafalgar McLaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-25-2014, 03:32 PM
  #74
Moose Coleman
Registered User
 
Moose Coleman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Posts: 4,016
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trafalgar Law View Post
I never said Hemsky didn't spend a great deal of time with Gordon and Smyth. I said he was handed a spot on the first line during training camp despite doing nothing to earn it. He lost his first line spot about 10 games into the year after Hall was moved back to LW, and lost his top 6 forward spot period as he got outplayed.
Hall played 2 games at C. After RRNH came back, Hemsky moved down to the second line with Arcobello and Perron. He was on the third line as of Game 9 of the year against Ottawa. And it certainly wasn't due top being out played by Yakupov.

Quote:
The point is, he was given Yakupov's spot in the top 6 for no reason. And it severely affected Yakupov's confidence and overall performance this season, and perhaps has caused irreversible damage to his development. All because Eakins had to hand candy to his favourite player.
How is it that you know so much about the psyches of these players and the team dynamics? Oh wait: you don't know anything about the psyches of these players and the team dynamics.

Moose Coleman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-25-2014, 03:53 PM
  #75
McCupofOil
McJesus Has Risen!!!
 
McCupofOil's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: 5-14-6-1
Country: United States
Posts: 18,150
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trafalgar Law View Post
I'd say my hatred for Hemsky is quite rational. I'd grown tired of his behaviour and watching him pollute the younger players with it has had a major negative impact on the franchise. I would speak even worse of the likes of O'Sullivan and Nilsson, but thankfully those two pieces of trash were purged from the organization before they could spread their cancerous antics.

Hemsky got time over Yakupov because Eakins wanted to give Hemsky time over Yakupov. Yakupov EARNED the spot in the top 6 based on his 2012-2013 season. Hemsky LOST the spot in the top 6 based on his 2012-2013 season. Yet on day 1 of training camp. Yakupov was immediately put on a line with Boyd Gordon and Jesse Joensuu, while Hemsky was handed a spot on the first line ever since the first practice.
Nonsense. Hemsky was a more reliable player than Yakupov, that's why he got playing time over him. It's as simple as that.
Yakupov's little hot streak near the end of his rookie season didn't mean that he was ready to be a reliable top 6 player the next season.
Even during his rookie season, he looked lost a lot. If it wasn't for Hall basically carrying him towards the end of the season, his rookie season would have been looked at a lot differently.

The amount of blame that some of you give to the coaching staff and the free pass that you give to Yakupov is quite perplexing. The bottom line is that he didn't earn the coaches trust. I'm glad that they didn't gift him top 6 time, i think it will make him better in the long run.
It did seem like Eakins was especially tough on him but he didn't exactly make it easy on Eakins either.
Eakins made plenty of mistakes last season. His handling of Yakupov was far down the list.

McCupofOil is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:01 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2016, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2016 All Rights Reserved.