HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie
Notices

Enigmatic Yakupov and The Bounce Back

Old
07-25-2014, 04:01 PM
McAsuno
5-14-6-1

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by CupofOil View Post
Nonsense. Hemsky was a more reliable player than Yakupov, that's why he got playing time over him. It's as simple as that.
Yakupov's little hot streak near the end of his rookie season didn't mean that he was ready to be a reliable top 6 player the next season.
Even during his rookie season, he looked lost a lot. If it wasn't for Hall basically carrying him towards the end of the season, his rookie season would have been looked at a lot differently.

The amount of blame that some of you give to the coaching staff and the free pass that you give to Yakupov is quite perplexing. The bottom line is that he didn't earn the coaches trust. I'm glad that they didn't gift him top 6 time, i think it will make him better in the long run.
It did seem like Eakins was especially tough on him but he didn't exactly make it easy on Eakins either.
Eakins made plenty of mistakes last season. His handling of Yakupov was far down the list.
They're both to blame. But Eakins was a fool on handling Yakupov. Its clear Yakupov needs work without the puck, but look at what Eakins did to him. You put a guy who needs lots of work without the puck and has lost his confidence, then you proceed to have him be on the ice against guys like Ovechkin and Kessel. That makes absolutely no sense as a coach. You don't put a struggling Yakupov against the likes of those two players. His handling of Yakupov is near top of the list along with his putrid "swarm system" that never worked. Oh and the PP as well. Maybe he should try looking at how Oates ran their PP and how he positioned Ovy? Maybe then Yak would succeed on it, instead of being on the point.

McAsuno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-25-2014, 04:03 PM
oilz89*

Quote:
Nonsense. Hemsky was a more reliable player than Yakupov, that's why he got playing time over him. It's as simple as that.
Yakupov's little hot streak near the end of his rookie season didn't mean that he was ready to be a reliable top 6 player the next season.
Even during his rookie season, he looked lost a lot. If it wasn't for Hall basically carrying him towards the end of the season, his rookie season would have been looked at a lot differently.

The amount of blame that some of you give to the coaching staff and the free pass that you give to Yakupov is quite perplexing. The bottom line is that he didn't earn the coaches trust. I'm glad that they didn't gift him top 6 time, i think it will make him better in the long run.
It did seem like Eakins was especially tough on him but he didn't exactly make it easy on Eakins either.
Eakins made plenty of mistakes last season. His handling of Yakupov was far down the list.
His handling of Yakupov is far up the list but under his clever mastermind scheme called the swarm defense

oilz89* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-25-2014, 04:03 PM
Oilwings

Quote:
Originally Posted by hallsyoilerforever View Post
They're both to blame. But Eakins was a fool on handling Yakupov. Its clear Yakupov needs work without the puck, but look at what Eakins did to him. You put a guy who needs lots of work without the puck and has lost his confidence, then you proceed to have him be on the ice against guys like Ovechkin and Kessel. That makes absolutely no sense as a coach. You don't put a struggling Yakupov against the likes of those two players. His handling of Yakupov is near top of the list along with his putrid "swarm system" that never worked. Oh and the PP as well. Maybe he should try looking at how Oates ran their PP and how he positioned Ovy? Maybe then Yak would succeed on it, instead of being on the point.
Luckily, we have Ramsey handling the PP this yr.

Oilwings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-25-2014, 04:22 PM
ManByng
It's Me OilTastic

Yak will be lucky to get 15 this year and the calls for his trade will intensify.

ManByng is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-25-2014, 04:26 PM
Oilwings

Quote:
Originally Posted by ManByng View Post
Yak will be lucky to get 15 this year and the calls for his trade will intensify.
You mean 15PP goals???

Oilwings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-25-2014, 04:46 PM
ManByng
It's Me OilTastic

^hardly!

ManByng is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-25-2014, 04:50 PM
McCupofOil
Hunting A Cup

Quote:
My beef was with those who think that Yak's struggles were all on Eakins and that somehow he should have been giftwrapped top 6 minutes and even more annoying, that Eakins was out to "get him".

There's no doubt that he was mishandled in some respects some of which you outlined, but at some point it's up to Yak to earn the coaches trust. He played as if he was the only player on the ice at times and played as if it was a game of shinny. I'm sure it was frustrating for Eakins to see Yak completely abandon team play so he deserved his benchings and demotions.

Where Eakins made the biggest mistake was taking Yak off of Hall's line after the Olympic Break right when he was playing his best hockey of the season heading into the break. Not sure what Eakins was thinking there. He also should have played him more on the PP to boost his confidence so thhe blame lies with both parties.

McCupofOil is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-25-2014, 04:55 PM
McAsuno
5-14-6-1

Quote:
My beef was with those who think that Yak's struggles were all on Eakins and that somehow he should have been giftwrapped top 6 minutes and even more annoying, that Eakins was out to "get him".

There's no doubt that he was mishandled in some respects some of which you outlined, but at some point it's up to Yak to earn the coaches trust. He played as if he was the only player on the ice at times and played as if it was a game of shinny. I'm sure it was frustrating for Eakins to see Yak completely abandon team play so he deserved his benchings and demotions.

Where Eakins made the biggest mistake was taking Yak off of Hall's line after the Olympic Break right when he was playing his best hockey of the season heading into the break. Not sure what Eakins was thinking there. He also should have played him more on the PP to boost his confidence so thhe blame lies with both parties.
To be fair, anybody that plays along a line with Hall plays so damn well. I'm not a fan of breaking the kid line up, because of their success. It did cause an issue, when the kid line was generally the only line that scored on consecutive nights ; however, Hall, RNH, and Eberle need to stay together. The additions of Purcell and Pouliot will at least provide more scoring and much added needed size to the team. But yeah, Eakins needs to put Yakupov in a spot where he can succeed the best, and that's the PP. You don't have a guy that has a deadly one timer like Yakupov, and not utilize him on the proper spot on the ice. I never understood why he got put on the point either, for a guy who has poor defensive play, he should be the last one on there.

Old
07-27-2014, 12:13 AM
skorf

Quote:

And no one else played like they were lost at times?

My beef with Eakins is that he singled Yakupov out, sure bench the guy for repeated offenses (he got benched rather early in the year), but early in the year especially, a lot of guys were making brain farts.

I like Eberle but at times he was more lost than Yak, but he never got the coaches wrath... and really a more seasoned player like Eberle shouldn't make as many mistakes as Yak.

As a coach you have to treat guys relatively the same, and Eakins chose his favorites (just like Hamilton and Acton in the Marlies... that's no way to win the respect of your team... he belongs in the AHL)

skorf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-27-2014, 01:50 PM
rockinghockey

Does any one know how Yak's off season training is going

rockinghockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-27-2014, 03:04 PM
ChaoticOrange

Ramsay has a TON of experience coaching at the NHL level, runs an excellent shooting PP.

Yak's shot is our most dangerous weapon on the PP. Calling it now, Yak pots 30 this year, is still a minus because half his goals come on the PP, and leaf fans continue to offer garbage for him.

ChaoticOrange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-27-2014, 11:52 PM
dobiezeke*

Quote:
Originally Posted by skorf View Post
And no one else played like they were lost at times?

My beef with Eakins is that he singled Yakupov out, sure bench the guy for repeated offenses (he got benched rather early in the year), but early in the year especially, a lot of guys were making brain farts.

I like Eberle but at times he was more lost than Yak, but he never got the coaches wrath... and really a more seasoned player like Eberle shouldn't make as many mistakes as Yak.

As a coach you have to treat guys relatively the same, and Eakins chose his favorites (just like Hamilton and Acton in the Marlies... that's no way to win the respect of your team... he belongs in the AHL)
Crosby didn't score for 12 games. Ovechkin sheeat the bed for a big part of the season. Bench them like you wanted Eberle?

dobiezeke* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-28-2014, 12:03 AM
McAsuno
5-14-6-1

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChaoticOrange View Post
Ramsay has a TON of experience coaching at the NHL level, runs an excellent shooting PP.

Yak's shot is our most dangerous weapon on the PP. Calling it now, Yak pots 30 this year, is still a minus because half his goals come on the PP, and leaf fans continue to offer garbage for him.
and the mainboards call him a bust while Galchenyuk is treated like a star?

Old
07-28-2014, 11:45 AM
oilerbear

Quote:
Originally Posted by OurHometown View Post
Enigmatic Yakupov and The Bounce Back

The worries in Edmonton over Nail Yakupov emerged after a disappointing sophomore season by the “enigmatic” young Russian player and although they have died down due to the worries of the huge hole in the second line center slot. Yakupov is primed for a bounce back season after a disappointing sophomore campaign.

READ MORE...
http://www.hometownhockey.ca/hockey/EDM0100.php
Euro racist!

oilerbear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-28-2014, 12:29 PM
Dorian2
Positional Bias.

vCash: 99
Didn't Eakins do the same thing to Kadri when he went down? Looks like he came back a different player than before.

Maybe there's a method to his madness.

Dorian2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-28-2014, 12:40 PM
BoldNewLettuce
Esquire

vCash: 132
if Yak somehow scores 30....which is a) doable given his shot...and also b) unlikely considering how hard that is to do in the nhl....and maybe from the 2nd PP unit....then he'd be in the same league as Duchene, Ryan, Stamkos, P. Kane, Hall...ie. players not named OV, Crosby, Tavares...as far as goals / 200 games...

Yes Yakupov has had a shaky start...but the bust proposals are way off....a 30 goal mark is way off too....but ....less...way off...?

BoldNewLettuce is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-28-2014, 01:40 PM
IV XIV XCI

I think the offseason moves to bring in more veteran type players will benefit a lot of our younger players - I foresee a stronger season for Yak but a decent start to the season is imperative.

IV XIV XCI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-28-2014, 01:56 PM
BarDownBobo

vCash: 512
Quote:
Originally Posted by vegas4ever View Post
Crosby didn't score for 12 games. Ovechkin sheeat the bed for a big part of the season. Bench them like you wanted Eberle?
If you can't see the difference in those situations you should watch a lot more non Oilers hockey.

BarDownBobo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-29-2014, 01:59 PM
ohheyhemsky
Regehr DooDoo

vCash: 104
Not sure if his interview on the Oilers site has been touched on, but his English has gotten a lot better and his outlook also seems to be in a better place.

I know it's pretty hard to compare a pre-season interview to one from last season, but it's night and day seeing his demeanor. It's pretty clear to see how hard last season was for him in this comparison.

ohheyhemsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-29-2014, 02:02 PM
EpSoNiight

vCash: 912
Quote:
Originally Posted by ohheyhemsky View Post
Not sure if his interview on the Oilers site has been touched on, but his English has gotten a lot better and his outlook also seems to be in a better place.

I know it's pretty hard to compare a pre-season interview to one from last season, but it's night and day seeing his demeanor. It's pretty clear to see how hard last season was for him in this comparison.
I saw this interview and his English was noticeably better, clearly made an effort to improve that. And he noted he needs to have a big year and has been training for months in the gym and on the ice. He seems to be way more positive about next season as well. Thought it was a great interview

EpSoNiight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-29-2014, 02:03 PM
ohheyhemsky
Regehr DooDoo

Quote:
Originally Posted by EpSoNiight View Post
I saw this interview and his English was noticeably better, clearly made an effort to improve that. And he noted he needs to have a big year and has been training for months in the gym and on the ice. He seems to be way more positive about next season as well. Thought it was a great interview
It was very encouraging. Again, as I said before, it's insane the night and day his demeanor is. It really explains his mindset during last season. Buddy was in a funk on and off the ice for sure.

Old
07-29-2014, 02:04 PM
McAsuno
5-14-6-1

Quote:

Yak did say Draisaitl is staying with him right now, and that he thinks its a good situation for both of them. Building up the chemistry.

Old
07-29-2014, 02:06 PM
ohheyhemsky
Regehr DooDoo

Quote:
Yak did say Draisaitl is staying with him right now, and that he thinks its a good situation for both of them. Building up the chemistry.
We'll give him that puck possession beast that can make room and feed him passes.

Old
07-29-2014, 02:07 PM
McAsuno
5-14-6-1

Quote:
We'll give him that puck possession beast that can make room and feed him passes.
The duo of Draisaitl and Yak needs a nickname.

Old
07-29-2014, 03:22 PM
Da McBomb

Great to see Yakupov looking more comfortable in this environment. His English definitely sounds a lot better now. Being comfortable on and off the ice is a huge thing for players, especially ones from overseas. A guy with his skill set, love for the game, and hard work ethic can't be kept down for long.

Da McBomb is online now   Reply With Quote