HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Arizona Coyotes
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Trade Sjostrom?

Closed Thread

Old
10-02-2003, 01:06 PM
c9orf

vCash: 500
Trade Sjostrom?

By most accounts, Freddy has had a pretty mediocre camp - and didn't stand out in the prospect tourney, either. Since the team is already light on finesse, and he is our *only* potentially flashy prospect, I had regarded him as rather important for the future.

If he isn't going to work out, he needs to be traded ASAP for a pick or another offensive-minded prospect. A mediocre year in Springfield will seriously degrade his value.

Sure, it's early to pass judgement. But dumping him like Safronov wouldn't be much fun.

Old
10-02-2003, 01:52 PM
roadrunner

Springfield is the next logical step in his career, and I think he will do well. Hopefully, he will do REALLY well!

Old
10-02-2003, 02:16 PM
XX
Lots of Try

I think its ok to give freddy some room here, he is after all coming from the WHL.

Still developing

Old
10-02-2003, 02:33 PM
Hoot

Seems like Freddie is a slow starter if you look at this and past camps. Mr October in reverse so to speak. :p

Old
10-02-2003, 04:17 PM
hbk

From what I've personally seen of Sjostrom, he looks more like a two-way player in the mold of Jere Lehtinen or Martin Havlat and we should not be expecting a superstar winger in the mold of Pavel Bure. This means he's more like a 20-30 goal scorer instead of a 40+ goal scorer. He has a way to go on that two-way game as well but here is where his elite skating skills will serve him well.

Old
10-02-2003, 06:50 PM
PhoPhan

Trading Sjostrom is out of the question. It is way too early, and he had a fantastic year last year.

Old
10-03-2003, 12:02 AM
c9orf

The only "untradables" are players with no-trade clauses and huge fan favorites (to a certain extent). Neither of those adjectives apply here.

I'll go on record as suggesting that Sjostrom isn't the player we hoped for, and that trading him for his current, pre-disappointment value, would be wise. In my estimation, he is currently worth a late 1st round pick.

Consider it a "stop loss" trading move.

If I'm wrong, and Sjostrom wins the Calder, feel free to mock me.

Old
10-03-2003, 12:14 AM
roadrunner

I don't understand the idea of giving up on a player before he has even seen 10 games at the AHL level.

Old
10-03-2003, 12:47 AM
_Del_

Quote:
Originally Posted by Salad+Croutons
The only "untradables" are players with no-trade clauses and huge fan favorites (to a certain extent). Neither of those adjectives apply here.

I'll go on record as suggesting that Sjostrom isn't the player we hoped for, and that trading him for his current, pre-disappointment value, would be wise. In my estimation, he is currently worth a late 1st round pick.

Consider it a "stop loss" trading move.

If I'm wrong, and Sjostrom wins the Calder, feel free to mock me.
I don't think you'd get a late first for him, frankly, though you might... I think this is one of those cases that unless you're getting a solid NHL ready player *and this team can't afford Simpson, so an impact player is probably out of the question *, you hold on to him and hope for the best... it's also pretty early to give up on him as he hasn't even been eligible to play in the A until this year...

Old
10-03-2003, 04:35 AM
hbk

Really it all depends on the draft year but I would doubt a team would give up a first round pick for a prospect unless they were absolutely sold on this kid. The value of draft picks in deals is higher when teams are attempting to purge salary and are looking for a ways to rationalize a deal to the local media and therefore their general fan base. There are a lot of first round picks who immediately after they are selected could not and would not be traded for a first round pick in the following draft. It all depends on team evaluations, organizational style preferences, whether they are in a rebuilding process, etc. The elite picks - players like Spezza who can play in the NHL relatively quick and after a year or two of development maintain and increase their market value. A player like Sjostrom who regressed by most accounts his first season only to rebound and meet original expectations the year after has dropped his market value considerably in the past two years. Kolanos increased his trade value after his selection by increasing his point production and through the development of a reputation as a clutch player. Eager failed to improve on very mediocre numbers last year dispite having been paired with one of the highest rated prospects in the CHL. Koreis is another prospect who's trade value has decreased due to a lack of production.

Of course any arguement to deal one of our prospects for higher draft picks also assumes that the team in question would have selected the player in the first round. Some of our earlier picks (Briere, Eager for example) quite frankly would have gone later than our selection but prior to our next selection. Long and the short of it is another team would look to pick us off and at best you might see a second round pick offered up for Sjostrom as the first round pick is still untainted by mediocre play or a lack of production.

Old
10-03-2003, 06:06 AM
eye

You don't give up on kids that fast. If he had played the entire year in the AHL like Knayzev did last year and failed to show any potential then I might agree with this suggestion. I think just like a lot of Ottawa's quality euros, you give him time to develop and learn how to use his speed effectively at the pro level.

Old
10-03-2003, 07:30 AM
Master T

Send a message via AIM to Master T Send a message via Yahoo to Master T
Eye, for once we agree. I can't believe people would even consider giving up on Freddy the Flash at this point. He has played minimal AHL games and didn't light up the WHL at first... what make people think he is the next Kovalchuk?

His game is more like a Lehtinen, but suited as a second line player.

Old
10-03-2003, 08:00 PM
gibber1600

Simmer donr now!!! He is under 20, relax.

Old
10-04-2003, 12:31 AM
CoyoteBaloney

Give the boy time to adjust to his new team. There is no reason to trade him. Besides I want to see what we got for Carney.

Old
10-04-2003, 06:39 AM
XX
Lots of Try

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoyoteTony
Give the boy time to adjust to his new team. There is no reason to trade him. Besides I want to see what we got for Carney.

Old
10-04-2003, 09:38 AM
The Viking

???

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoyoteTony

I thought we got a second round pick for Carney. Sjostrom was a first rounder.

Old
10-04-2003, 10:40 AM
PhoPhan

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Viking
I thought we got a second round pick for Carney. Sjostrom was a first rounder.

We used that 2nd to trade up in the 1st round and draft Sjostrom, I believe.

Old
10-04-2003, 11:38 AM
The Viking

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhoPhan
We used that 2nd to trade up in the 1st round and draft Sjostrom, I believe.
So Sjostrom would be our net from the 2nd rounder and our first rounder in that draft.

Old
10-04-2003, 11:54 AM

Actually it was reported today in the paper that the pick was used to draft Spiller oddly enough. And then we traded our pick to move up to grab Sjostrom.

Old
10-04-2003, 12:41 PM
hbk

The pick we used to select Spiller was part of the Khabulin deal which essentially stands as:

Mara
Spiller
Johnson
Ference (actually Ruslan Zainullin who was dealt with Safronov for Hordichuk who was dealt with a second round pick for Ference)

for
Khabibulin
Neckar
Safronov
2nd round pick

actually in the end it doesn't look that bad; although that is due to in part Khabibulin not really taking the next step to an elite level goaltender (mind you look at that defense) and the fact that 3 of our top 7 blueliners ended up coming from this initial transaction. Not to mention that Johnson was one of our top players last season.

Old
10-04-2003, 01:01 PM
CoyoteBaloney

Quote:
Originally Posted by eye
You don't give up on kids that fast. If he had played the entire year in the AHL like Knayzev did last year and failed to show any potential then I might agree with this suggestion. I think just like a lot of Ottawa's quality euros, you give him time to develop and learn how to use his speed effectively at the pro level.
I can't believe are so unforgiving of a 19 year old playing in the AHL who still had 2 years left in junior.

Old
10-04-2003, 08:08 PM
Matzel

Send a message via MSN to Matzel
Quote:
By most accounts, Freddy has had a pretty mediocre camp...If he isn't going to work out, he needs to be traded ASAP for a pick...
You are kidding, right?!

Give the kid some time to adjust to the professional level. He tore up the 'Dub' last season and he'll be just fine, once he get's used to the play in the 'A'. Look at some of the other kids, i.e. Jaspers (22 years old), who've been with this organization much longer. They have not been able to impress enough to stick with the big club. Management is patient with them and should be patient with Sjostrom.

Rewards for the patience with young talent come in the form of seasons like Bierk in '02/'03 or Briere in '01/'02.

Sjostrom will make us all proud in a couple of years!

Dancin' Gabe rules!

Old
10-05-2003, 12:10 AM
c9orf

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matzel
You are kidding, right?!

Give the kid some time to adjust to the professional level.
Why? He is a commodity, and should be evaluated as ruthlessly and as quickly as possible. I have no emotional attachment to our current prospects.

I've seen enough to be pessimistic. And the goal of trading is to get more than you give; waiting until the weaknesses of what you are offering are apparent to the whole world is not the way to win.

And remember, trading isn't the same thing as dumping.

Old
10-05-2003, 09:15 AM
XX
Lots of Try

Quote:
Why? He is a commodity, and should be evaluated as ruthlessly and as quickly as possible. I have no emotional attachment to our current prospects.

I've seen enough to be pessimistic. And the goal of trading is to get more than you give; waiting until the weaknesses of what you are offering are apparent to the whole world is not the way to win.

And remember, trading isn't the same thing as dumping.
I dont think you get it

Its like judging college applicants on their elementary school grades.

Its a non issue, I fail to see why we would trade a still developing finesse player that will make the NHL from he has shown.

foolish

Old
10-05-2003, 10:38 AM
PhoPhan

Quote:
Originally Posted by XavierX
I dont think you get it

Its like judging college applicants on their elementary school grades.

Its a non issue, I fail to see why we would trade a still developing finesse player that will make the NHL from he has shown.

foolish
I agree with your logic, but Sjostrom is not a finesse player. This is a common misconception because he is so damn fast. He is about 220 lbs now, and he plays a gritty two-way game. What kind of finesse player would drop the gloves with Jordin Tootoo? I know Tootoo is only about 185, but Sjostrom was 195 at the time. Even so, you don't see a Naslund or a Kariya fighting anyone.

Closed Thread