HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

The Edmonton Eskimos 2014 CFL season is here! Part 2

Closed Thread

Old
08-17-2014, 08:53 PM
MoneyGuy

vCash: 500
Ha, the Lions challenge wanting defensive pass interference but the replay results in a penalty against them instead.

Bad challenge.

It's now 17-13 on a great TD catch for the Argos.

Old
08-17-2014, 09:06 PM
Gord
Tesla

vCash: 265
Quote:
Originally Posted by Replacement View Post
This kind of reply isn't required. I can see both sides of the argument, have argued your side, but the opposite view is reasonable as well.

To wit in the Ottawa game Jones shouldn't gamble, he should take the pts for the lead late in the game as pretty much any pro coach would. Its standard kick to win stuff. you take the easy FG there for the win.

Used to be a conventional wisdom to take the pts and not overthink it and cost the team easy pts on the board. I like Jones but he's culpable of some poor decisions.

Any viewer watching is noting that in the Ottawa game its a low scoring game and with the esks D dominating so take the damn pts for the win. That play alone almost cost us the result and from his own 5yd line last minute heroics were required of Reilly to save Jones from that brutal decision late in an 8-7 game.

you could imagine the furor here if that call by Jones cost the club the 2 easy pts.
I agree withrboomercar for the most part, and with you to a certain extent.

I agree with the fact Jones can call a "trick" play at any time which will make the opposing team have to always be aware of the possibility, and that could limit their effectiveness.

I do think he has to be smarter of when to call these plays. your Ottawa example is perfect. I really do think it was stupid to gamble in that situation. losing on the road near the end of the game. Take the points, and take the lead. especially in such a low scoring game where the offense kept shooting themselves in the foot.

that being said, Give me Jones 10 times of 10 over having Reed.

Old
08-17-2014, 09:39 PM
Cloned
Dial M for Michelle

Eastern teams are so bad that Western teams can afford to basically dick around the entire game and still win.

Sig AND X-mas avatar courtesy of The Nemesis

"Pull yourself together!" - Solid Snake to Otacon, multiple times in the series
Old
08-17-2014, 10:13 PM
Replacement
Now 11.5% more Zen

The Argos are in first place in the East, by 4pts, and are guaranteed a playoff spot. They could lose nearly every game left in the season and still end up in the running.

Meanwhile they would be in LAST place by 4pts if they were in the WEST. Also, the Argos due to sublime fortune, and a 3-5 record have more of a margin than ANY club with a much better record in the west. As any club in the west is only 2pts better than last place and missing the playoffs.

This is so insane it pisses me off. Not the first time either. East is chronically a joke. What does the CFL do this year to address this? Throw Winnipeg back in the west and an expansion club in the east making the disparity even more of a joke and meaning that a WEstern team will miss the playoffs no matter what. And somebody will finish 2nd in the East and make the playoffs no matter how pathetic a record. 4-5 W's in the east would virtually guarantee a playoff game.

Old
08-17-2014, 10:39 PM
rboomercat90

vCash: 205
Quote:
The Argos are in first place in the East, by 4pts, and are guaranteed a playoff spot. They could lose nearly every game left in the season and still end up in the running.

Meanwhile they would be in LAST place by 4pts if they were in the WEST. Also, the Argos due to sublime fortune, and a 3-5 record have more of a margin than ANY club with a much better record in the west. As any club in the west is only 2pts better than last place and missing the playoffs.

This is so insane it pisses me off. Not the first time either. East is chronically a joke. What does the CFL do this year to address this? Throw Winnipeg back in the west and an expansion club in the east making the disparity even more of a joke and meaning that a WEstern team will miss the playoffs no matter what. And somebody will finish 2nd in the East and make the playoffs no matter how pathetic a record. 4-5 W's in the east would virtually guarantee a playoff game.
What it really shows is how desperate they are to keep this season as interesting as they can for as long as they can for the fans in Eastern Canada who barely support this league at the best of times. No real worries about the fans in Western Canada who always wildly support the league by comparison.

The CFL is a joke in Eastern Canada right now. Hamilton is a refugee AGAIN this year. When are they moving into that stadium again? Toronto is about to get kicked out of Rogers Center and nobody cares. Even the Allouttes aren't drawing in that tiny stadium like they used to. Ottawa is back with a new stadium but they have lost that team twice already so it's not like they have a reliable fan base either. A season over by Labor Day in any of these markets let alone more than one of them and this league is in serious trouble again. They aren't admitting it but I suspect it is already.

Old
08-18-2014, 12:08 AM
Cloned
Dial M for Michelle

So Calgary, BC, Edmonton and Saskatchewan all spent the majority of this week's games playing crap football and all of them win.

Old
08-18-2014, 12:19 AM
Stoneman89

Enough of the "warrior" stuff, Mike Reilly. I get it. You're tough and can run and never give up. Great stuff. But it's getting a little old and worn. I'd like to see some smarter on field play calling and saavy getting rid of the ball up to the receivers.

Old
08-18-2014, 12:22 AM
Stoneman89

Quote:
Originally Posted by iCanada View Post
Really?

Riders fan here, I think they are atrocious.

-.-

EDIT: Its official, the Riders have worse special teams than the Eskimos. Field goal from the 30 yard line missed, and then the return goes 100 yards. Unreal.
Reebok does it again. They made an absolute mess of the Oilers uniforms a few years ago, turning them in something that looked like pajamas, and now they're at it again.

Old
08-18-2014, 12:26 AM
Replacement
Now 11.5% more Zen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stoneman89 View Post
Enough of the "warrior" stuff, Mike Reilly. I get it. You're tough and can run and never give up. Great stuff. But it's getting a little old and worn. I'd like to see some smarter on field play calling and saavy getting rid of the ball up to the receivers.
An injured offensive unit missing two star players generated 451yds. Reilly wasn't the problem.

Too bad one Receiver in this game even bothered to show up and AB only did in the second half. Its somewhat telling that Reilly's main targets throughout the match were out of the backfield.

Reilly wasn't getting a lot of help on the day and he's the reason we ended up winning anyway.

Old
08-18-2014, 02:59 AM
Oscar Acosta

vCash: 1083
I won't claim to know anything about the CFL because I don't. (Ricky Ray was awesome, and so was Warren Moon).

But I'm shocked to see Ochocinco isn't the best player in the league. Not even a doubt I had he would be a year removed from the NFL, but in the CFL I really thought he would blow the talent out of the water.

So either he's washed up beyond my expectations or the CFL is better than I thought.

Old
08-18-2014, 03:43 AM
Cloned
Dial M for Michelle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oscar Acosta View Post
I won't claim to know anything about the CFL because I don't. (Ricky Ray was awesome, and so was Warren Moon).

But I'm shocked to see Ochocinco isn't the best player in the league. Not even a doubt I had he would be a year removed from the NFL, but in the CFL I really thought he would blow the talent out of the water.

So either he's washed up beyond my expectations or the CFL is better than I thought.
He has no QB to throw him the ball.

Heck even if Alex Brink had started the games instead, Ochocinco would have had better stats.

And now he's hurt and not playing.

Old
08-18-2014, 08:23 AM
McJadeddog

Quote:

its more about how bad the team is around him, rather than him playing poorly himself in my opinion

Old
08-18-2014, 08:47 AM
joestevens29

vCash: 350
We should just start losing so we can get the crossover. The hell with these ugly wins

Old
08-18-2014, 08:50 AM
joestevens29

Quote:
Is Reilly the one making the calls? That and it's hard to get it to the receivers when there is still that much pressure.

Not really on Reilly as much as it's on the co-ordinator to make some better suited plays and adjustments.

Old
08-18-2014, 08:54 AM
Gord
Tesla

Quote:
Originally Posted by joestevens29 View Post
Is Reilly the one making the calls? That and it's hard to get it to the receivers when there is still that much pressure.

Not really on Reilly as much as it's on the co-ordinator to make some better suited plays and adjustments.
that is true. Although I do think that Reilly has been throwing poorly for much of the season, too. he doesn't seem to be able to get into a rhythm until the second half.

Old
08-18-2014, 09:09 AM
joestevens29

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gord View Post
that is true. Although I do think that Reilly has been throwing poorly for much of the season, too. he doesn't seem to be able to get into a rhythm until the second half.
Kinda hard to get into a rhythm though? He needs to get better no doubt, but it's kinda hard when you are always getting pressure and don't always have short options.

We should just be thankful that he has found a way to be as effective as he has. Still 2nd in td's and is up there in rushing yards. It's not like there is a lot of better options in the CFL this year.

Old
08-18-2014, 09:43 AM
Beerfish

Quote:

A couple o0f very common misconceptions about the talent levels of the two leagues. Tons of bigger name guys have come up here and flamed out. Also ocho cinco was done like dinner about 3 years ago.

Old
08-18-2014, 09:45 AM
joestevens29

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beerfish View Post
A couple o0f very common misconceptions about the talent levels of the two leagues. Tons of bigger name guys have come up here and flamed out. Also ocho cinco was done like dinner about 3 years ago.
It's just like James Toney going to the UFC. How many guys have come to the CFL in their prime years? That and it's a different game. Guys need time to adjust.

Old
08-18-2014, 10:31 AM
Stoneman89

Quote:
Kinda hard to get into a rhythm though? He needs to get better no doubt, but it's kinda hard when you are always getting pressure and don't always have short options.

We should just be thankful that he has found a way to be as effective as he has. Still 2nd in td's and is up there in rushing yards. It's not like there is a lot of better options in the CFL this year.
I think his protection this year has been night and day compared to last year. I haven't liked his decision making this year. For sure I agree that the overall offensive scheme and playcalling has been subpar and that is definitely on the OC, despite the many attempts at gimmick plays. Reilly needs to be much better. Right now, the offensive deficiencies of this team are being masked big time by the outstanding play of the defence.

Old
08-18-2014, 10:40 AM
Stoneman89

Quote:

For old-timers who can still remember, Vince Ferragamo came up here two years removed from a Superbowl appearance and one year after finishing 2nd in the NFL in passing touchdowns with 30. Signed to a big contract by the Als, he flamed out completely, so badly that he was demoted to 2nd stringer halfway through the year, and finally 3rd stringer by the end of the year. Als finished 3-13. He went back to the NFL and had 2 more impressive years statistically before retiring. One more example of a high profile NFL player that bombed up here. And Ferragamo was at the top of his game when he made his foray up north, not a washed up clown like Ochocinco. It certainly isn't a given that good NFL players will star in the CFL. I think many are surprised at the quality of play, the speed, the size of the playing field and the different rules and extra man. Some QB's can never get over that 12th guy after playing their whole lives against 11.

Old
08-18-2014, 11:21 AM
Gord
Tesla

Quote:
I think his protection this year has been night and day compared to last year. I haven't liked his decision making this year. For sure I agree that the overall offensive scheme and playcalling has been subpar and that is definitely on the OC, despite the many attempts at gimmick plays. Reilly needs to be much better. Right now, the offensive deficiencies of this team are being masked big time by the outstanding play of the defence.
he still needs work on his checkdowns, I think. He also needs to work on looking off a receiver. the defenses seem to be able to see his eyes and know where he is going to throw.

could be worse, at least the esks have a good QB who just needs seasoning. sure beats the past when we just had bad or over the hill quarterbacks.

Old
08-18-2014, 11:49 AM
Replacement
Now 11.5% more Zen

Quote:
We're missing a few receivers that we had last year. Add to this that the #1 Receiver in the CFL has been mostly injured and hasn't been himself on the field. Fred Stamps has under 200yds almost half way through the season.

We have AB, and we have Chambers as our 2nd leading catcher right now. He's still a bit raw. We're short on targets right now, this should be clear.

We're short at least one go to guy right now. What options does Reilly really have at present?

Old
08-18-2014, 11:53 AM
Replacement
Now 11.5% more Zen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gord View Post
he still needs work on his checkdowns, I think. He also needs to work on looking off a receiver. the defenses seem to be able to see his eyes and know where he is going to throw.

could be worse, at least the esks have a good QB who just needs seasoning. sure beats the past when we just had bad or over the hill quarterbacks.
If you're a D right now you worry about AB and that's about it. None of the other receivers we have right now represent any appreciable danger. Bowman had double coverage most of the night and still had a big game.

WE don't have Stamps, we don't have Koch, we don't have Henry. We're short on reliable receivers right now, real short.

Old
08-18-2014, 12:10 PM
joestevens29

Quote:
We're missing a few receivers that we had last year. Add to this that the #1 Receiver in the CFL has been mostly injured and hasn't been himself on the field. Fred Stamps has under 200yds almost half way through the season.

We have AB, and we have Chambers as our 2nd leading catcher right now. He's still a bit raw. We're short on targets right now, this should be clear.

We're short at least one go to guy right now. What options does Reilly really have at present?
Pitch it to White and have White throw him the ball?

Old
08-18-2014, 12:14 PM
Replacement
Now 11.5% more Zen

Quote:
Pitch it to White and have White throw him the ball?

Even White (RB) was injured and not in the game.

See what I mean about Reilly not having a lot of options?

Closed Thread