HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

The Edmonton Eskimos 2014 CFL season is here! Part 2

Closed Thread

Old
07-25-2014, 09:40 PM
Del Preston
1,000 Brown M&M's

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyrolean View Post
Esks played well and are a vastly improved team, but Calgary is still formidable despite playing not their best game. A lot of luck went their way but it will come back at them eventually.

They are not stupid, they did sniff out some of the Esks tendencies and beat them at the Special teams and O-line protection handily.

They could well blow out the Esk in the next game as they are at home.

Esks better work hard to get more discipline into their game and improve their O-line protection.
Huh? The Eskimos played like garbage and gifted that game to the Stampeders...

Old
07-25-2014, 10:11 PM
Paralyzer
Tier 13428 Oiler Fan

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Del Preston View Post
I disagree with the garbage comment. If you got to blame one part of the Eskimos game, it was special teams. Eskimos Offence was more effective than Calgary's offence, and our defence was playing better than their defence. look at the stats and you can see we out-played them.

Old
07-25-2014, 10:18 PM
Del Preston
1,000 Brown M&M's

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paralyzer View Post
I disagree with the garbage comment. If you got to blame one part of the Eskimos game, it was special teams. Eskimos Offence was more effective than Calgary's offence, and our defence was playing better than their defence. look at the stats and you can see we out-played them.
True. The ST just casts a big, ugly shadow over the entire game for me.

Old
07-25-2014, 10:36 PM
Replacement
Now with 9% more zen

Quote:
What an enlightened opinion.

Would you stand up to Grymes, Willis, White, Chambers, Sewell, and the other dozen Eskimos that played well and tell them they were garbage?

What rubbish these were great efforts out there and a team that cares more on the field than any Esks team I've seen in a decade. These guys can wear the jersey of the team I've cheered for for several decades anytime. They certainly wear it well.

2 players should be questioned in this one. Miles and Shaw. They played poorly and let their club down. Maybe address your scorn where it belongs.

Old
07-26-2014, 12:06 AM
Del Preston
1,000 Brown M&M's

First, you of all people getting on someone for unwarrantly crapping on some players and making a comment of a team's play is just hilarious.

Second, calm the hell down. Wow.

Third, I retracted that comment in the next post.

Old
07-26-2014, 12:10 AM
Replacement
Now with 9% more zen

Quote:
First, you of all people getting on someone for unwarrantly crapping on some players is just hilarious.

Second, calm the hell down.

Third, I retracted that comment in the next post. Wow.
I draw a distinction between players actually playing well and not.

The Esks performance was great. Not sure how you watched a different game.

Good that you retracted the comment.

Old
07-26-2014, 01:24 AM
vincent1999

Mr. Jones

Quote:
Originally Posted by Replacement View Post
I stated in the other thread I would have taken a safety at that point.

But earlier I would have tried to run the clock down with running plays. One of the stupidest plays there was the longball incompletion that stopped the clock. keep the ball on the ground in that situation.

In anycase I AM questioning the special teams. It is clearly what lost us this football game. Jones would be astute enough to know that. I daresay some changes will be made.

When 4 players come clean on a punt people should be asking about the special teams. When a returner screws the pooch on the first ball he sees people should be asking about the special teams.

What I'm asking is what the hell they practiced all week. You'd never recognize that this unit had any aspect covered on the basis of today.
Mr. Jones
I agree that time management at the end of the first half and the choice to "risk it all" was a serious coaching error that probably cost the game.

really, really unbelievable abysmal coaching throughout the game too.
poor play selection ie draw play on second and 10
ie 20 to 30 yard bombs in the last 40 seconds
and of course like the stuff that happened at the end of the first half

correct me if I'm wrong, but 1st and 10 and Edmonton is at their 6 yard line and 33 seconds to go in the half. A junk first down run for no gain or a slight loss. Calgary calls their timeout. Next down Reilly runs to his right and then tries a 30 yard pass across his body back to the middle to Bowman and luckily it's incomplete and now 24 seconds left and clock is stopped. Why didn't he just fall down and keep the clock running and they called the third down play. And then either try to run out the clock or punt the ball away with a 20 mile an hour wind at your back and the half is over. But no, let's have Reilly throw a silly incomplete pass across the middle and then let's try a third down and ten fake punt from your own end zone with almost nothing on the clock. So Calgary gets the ball with 16 seconds to go in the half and one pass later, touchdown.

and why is Reilly taking a sack on second and inches with just a couple of minutes to go, so gotta punt the ball away.

oh and late in the game coach Jones stupidly has his thumb up his arse and the clock runs down from 58 seconds to 53 when he decides to use the team's timeout.

so, to summarize, an early dropped punt, Calgary gets a free field goal. A missed assignment on a third down punt, Calgary gets a touchdown. Bad coaching leads to a touchdown at the end of the first half.

losing a football game when the opposing quarterback Mitchell completes only 50% of his passes for 125 yards, etc etc and with the stuff above wow .... if I was a player, I'd like to playing on some other team

Old
07-26-2014, 11:39 AM
Tyrolean

Quote:
Originally Posted by vincent1999 View Post
Mr. Jones
I agree that time management at the end of the first half and the choice to "risk it all" was a serious coaching error that probably cost the game.

really, really unbelievable abysmal coaching throughout the game too.
poor play selection ie draw play on second and 10
ie 20 to 30 yard bombs in the last 40 seconds
and of course like the stuff that happened at the end of the first half

correct me if I'm wrong, but 1st and 10 and Edmonton is at their 6 yard line and 33 seconds to go in the half. A junk first down run for no gain or a slight loss. Calgary calls their timeout. Next down Reilly runs to his right and then tries a 30 yard pass across his body back to the middle to Bowman and luckily it's incomplete and now 24 seconds left and clock is stopped. Why didn't he just fall down and keep the clock running and they called the third down play. And then either try to run out the clock or punt the ball away with a 20 mile an hour wind at your back and the half is over. But no, let's have Reilly throw a silly incomplete pass across the middle and then let's try a third down and ten fake punt from your own end zone with almost nothing on the clock. So Calgary gets the ball with 16 seconds to go in the half and one pass later, touchdown.

and why is Reilly taking a sack on second and inches with just a couple of minutes to go, so gotta punt the ball away.

oh and late in the game coach Jones stupidly has his thumb up his arse and the clock runs down from 58 seconds to 53 when he decides to use the team's timeout.

so, to summarize, an early dropped punt, Calgary gets a free field goal. A missed assignment on a third down punt, Calgary gets a touchdown. Bad coaching leads to a touchdown at the end of the first half.

losing a football game when the opposing quarterback Mitchell completes only 50% of his passes for 125 yards, etc etc and with the stuff above wow .... if I was a player, I'd like to playing on some other team
Let's be calm and not overreact. Mistakes happen and bad decisions occur for all teams. In the heat of battle sometimes people lose focus.

The Esks won 4 games so much is due to good game management. If I were a player I'd be very upset at the loss but still happy that we realize the mistakes and can correct them.

Old
07-26-2014, 01:54 PM
MoneyGuy

I take more positives than negatives from this game. We outplayed Calgary - badly, and should have won by at least 10 points if not for two egregious errors. The game confirmed for me that we can play with anyone in the league. The errors we made are correctable and the defence once again dominated a good offence. While I'm disappointed with the result, we showed a lot and are still 4-1. This early season has gone better than I expected. I'm satisfied. I dislike dye weeks, but whatever.

Old
07-26-2014, 02:39 PM
GreatKeith
Super Smashed Oilers

60 yards of offense in the second half isn't "outplaying" anyone, I don't care how good Calgary's defense is.

Old
07-26-2014, 02:54 PM
Replacement
Now with 9% more zen

People need to readjust their expectations about what offense looks like playing against WC opponents. Several single digit scores have already been administered.

Scoring 22 (should've been 29 without the bogus callback on the Stamps TD) is damn good from that perspective.

Good teams in the CFL have had great D with this increasing year to year. Strong, mobile, versatile D are shutting down the CFL field. This isn't and shouldn't be news.

Old
07-26-2014, 02:55 PM
MoneyGuy

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreatKeith View Post
60 yards of offense in the second half isn't "outplaying" anyone, I don't care how good Calgary's defense is.
You don't think we outplayed them in the game? I'm not talking about one half, or just the offence. We outplayed them overall.

Last edited by MoneyGuy: 07-26-2014 at 03:10 PM.
Old
07-26-2014, 04:24 PM
MoneyGuy

Hervey is on Team1260 now with Millard. He's giving us a different way of thinking about some recent controversial decisions. Very interesting. I think he'll be on until 3 but not sure.

Old
07-26-2014, 07:50 PM
Replacement
Now with 9% more zen

Didn't watch the Bombers-leos game last night till 4th quarter. Gotta say I was shocked.

Anybody else know how Winnipeg is winning Football games. Drew Willy is horrible.

Esks flattened him like a pancake. How on Earth did the Leos lose?

Old
07-26-2014, 10:55 PM
GreatKeith
Super Smashed Oilers

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoneyGuy View Post
You don't think we outplayed them in the game? I'm not talking about one half, or just the offence. We outplayed them overall.
They weren't that great in the first half either. 4 turnovers, all of which were completely preventable. The Esks unloaded an entire clip into their foot before it was halftime.

Old
07-27-2014, 06:34 AM
blueandgoldguy

Quote:
Didn't watch the Bombers-leos game last night till 4th quarter. Gotta say I was shocked.

Anybody else know how Winnipeg is winning Football games. Drew Willy is horrible.

Esks flattened him like a pancake. How on Earth did the Leos lose?
Thanks for the laughs. Drew Willy is a fine young quarterback who progresses through his reads, gets rid of the ball in a reasonable short amount of time and appears to be a good decision-maker..especially when one considers he has less than 10 starts in his career and arguably has the worst O-Line in the league.

Old
07-27-2014, 10:56 AM
Tyrolean

Quote:
Their ST vastly outplayed ours.

Old
07-27-2014, 12:13 PM
Replacement
Now with 9% more zen

Quote:
Originally Posted by blueandgoldguy View Post
Thanks for the laughs. Drew Willy is a fine young quarterback who progresses through his reads, gets rid of the ball in a reasonable short amount of time and appears to be a good decision-maker..especially when one considers he has less than 10 starts in his career and arguably has the worst O-Line in the league.
Fair enough. You've seen him more than I have. Whenever I watch him he appears to struggle, gets confused, and fights it out there. He really had a tough game against the Esks.

Wouldn't say he's young either. He's a year younger than Reilly who I wouldn't refer to as a young QB either.

PS enjoy your momentary success. Based largely on having already played 3 EC teams, Montreal, Toronto, and Ottawa. These being teams that have all of 3 wins over 13GP. You barely beat 2 of them.

Last edited by Replacement: 07-27-2014 at 12:26 PM.
Old
07-27-2014, 12:29 PM
MoneyGuy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyrolean View Post
Their ST vastly outplayed ours.
Reread my last sentence.

Old
07-27-2014, 12:54 PM
Replacement
Now with 9% more zen

If anybody is actually working at the CFL they may want to note that Riders kicked the **** out of the Argos 37-9 last night.

might want to update those standings some time this week..

Also still no hilites available on CFL site for the game. What someone call in sick? Amateur website updates.

Last edited by Replacement: 07-27-2014 at 01:02 PM.
Old
07-27-2014, 01:20 PM
rboomercat90

Quote:
If anybody is actually working at the CFL they may want to note that Riders kicked the **** out of the Argos 37-9 last night.

might want to update those standings some time this week..

Also still no hilites available on CFL site for the game. What someone call in sick? Amateur website updates.
You didn't miss much. A bunch of Ricky Ray turnovers, followed by Ford touchdowns on the ground in the first half. Second half was more turnovers followed by field goals.

Old
07-27-2014, 04:49 PM
Del Preston
1,000 Brown M&M's

The East is 4-13 so far.

How about two crossover teams this year?

Old
07-28-2014, 06:19 AM
AJGass4

Is anyone at least happy that we looked like we could play against the Stampeders? They are, and I puke a little when I say this, a very good football team.

Last year we were an embarrassment and this year I feel like we can compete against anyone in the league.

The blocked punt was the Esks downfall in this one. This just shouldn't happen. The call at the end of the game? Hell when is the last time we saw our team even think of something like that? It's so early in this season I think other teams will be watching and thinking, "What are they gonna do?" This may payoff in a game later in the year.

Look, we were not perfect but I have seen so much improvement in this team, I am going to be less critical and enjoy the fact that we are headed in the right direction. I love Reilly. He is a warrior out there and once everyone is in sync and some quit taking stupid, stupid penalties, we will have a fine club to watch.

PS: My only complaint so far……………Shaw. Some games he is just flat out atrocious.

Old
07-28-2014, 11:37 AM
MoneyGuy

Concussion riddled in the backfield, the Stamps have signed Hugh Charles.

Old
07-28-2014, 11:46 AM
joestevens29

Quote:
Concussion riddled in the backfield, the Stamps have signed Hugh Charles.
I was wondering if they were going to or not. The guy can still run the ball, just need to know what you are getting as a whole.

Closed Thread