HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

The Edmonton Eskimos 2014 CFL season is here! Part 2

Closed Thread

Old
09-02-2014, 07:29 PM
Stoneman89

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by HotToddy View Post
Rottier is not a good guard....he and Rwabukumba (sp) constitute the weak links in the Esk starting roster
You can throw Coehorn in there as well, as far as I'm concerned.

Old
09-02-2014, 07:33 PM
HotToddy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stoneman89 View Post
You can throw Coehorn in there as well, as far as I'm concerned.
Why?

He's a servicable Canadian receiver...at least he can hold his own at this level

Through the first 6 games he caught 11 balls on 12 targets (haven't updated since) and he can be a decent blocker (at times)

Old
09-02-2014, 08:26 PM
Kyle McMahon

The jerseys are kind of boring...which is good after the ridiculous over-the-top garbage almost every other team has come out dressed in.

So I'm curious, we kicked off to start both halves yesterday. But no strong wind was mentioned on the CHED broadcast, and the punt and FG distances didn't seem to indicate anything out of the ordinary either. So why in hell would Jones elect to kick off twice? That is the equivalent of a turnover, it better be damn near gale force winds before having the wind in the 4th quarter is worth a turnover.

Old
09-02-2014, 09:35 PM
Stoneman89

Quote:
Why?

He's a servicable Canadian receiver...at least he can hold his own at this level

Through the first 6 games he caught 11 balls on 12 targets (haven't updated since) and he can be a decent blocker (at times)
Serviceable in what way? He can't get open if his life depends on it. He got a ball finally thrown his way against the Argos and flat out dropped it.
He's done nothing to convince me he should be a starter.

Last edited by Stoneman89: 09-02-2014 at 09:43 PM.
Old
09-02-2014, 09:41 PM
rosemount289

I have to .....................???

Quote:
Rottier is not a good guard....he and Rwabukumba (sp) constitute the weak links in the Esk starting roster

I have to agree Rottier is not a starter but at least he is serviceable backup.

Rwabukumba is a joke............he is not even a backup..........if you watch him closely he is scared to make tackles..................he plays so far off the receiver, the player is wide open all the time.

Did you see how far he drops back when he is in as a safety?

Old
09-02-2014, 09:45 PM
Stoneman89

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyle McMahon View Post
The jerseys are kind of boring...which is good after the ridiculous over-the-top garbage almost every other team has come out dressed in.

So I'm curious, we kicked off to start both halves yesterday. But no strong wind was mentioned on the CHED broadcast, and the punt and FG distances didn't seem to indicate anything out of the ordinary either. So why in hell would Jones elect to kick off twice? That is the equivalent of a turnover, it better be damn near gale force winds before having the wind in the 4th quarter is worth a turnover.

The wind in McMahon tends to swirl, and when you chose to leave the wind, you run the risk it can change direction on you before you get your chance to use it to your advantage.

Old
09-02-2014, 09:46 PM
Stoneman89

Quote:
Originally Posted by rosemount289 View Post
I have to agree Rottier is not a starter but at least he is serviceable backup.

Rwabukumba is a joke............he is not even a backup..........if you watch him closely he is scared to make tackles..................he plays so far off the receiver, the player is wide open all the time.

Did you see how far he drops back when he is in as a safety?
He went back 30 yards off the line of scrimmage when Joe West beat him on the previous play. Nice support for the rest of your mates.

Old
09-02-2014, 10:27 PM
Replacement
Now 11.5% more Zen

Quote:
Serviceable in what way? He can't get open if his life depends on it. He got a ball finally thrown his way against the Argos and flat out dropped it.
He's done nothing to convince me he should be a starter.
Been banging this drum for a longtime as you know. Theres very little that has ever impressed me about Coehoorn. Clumsy receiver, appears to have never locked into his full grown run. Guy looks to me that he had a growth spurt at some point in his life and has been relatively clumsy ever since. Good enough to impress in some varsity ball I guess but he's slow, has no moves, is easy to cover, and for a guy that was as sold as somebody that can break tackle he rarely does.

Again yesterday on two plays I'm wondering if he even knows where the chains are. He was a drive stopper on two drives. Conversely Chambers more and more is separating from this guy. You would never know Chambers is 3yrs younger. Plays with more composure, way more talent, and made two excellent plays yesterday that simply aren't within Coehoorns ability. On one play Chambers gets what looks to be a short gainer and through second and third effort finds the first down marker. Reilly was just shouting enthusiasm for what Chambers did there. On the very play after Chambers one hand stabs a catch. The type of catch a vaunted international would make. I Have nothing but patience for a player that shows that kind of talent and ability and Shamawd is progressing nicely. I think he needs to see the ball more and QB need to put it there more. Put it in a spot where only Shamawd is going to get it and he's going to be reasonable bringing home 50/50balls. He fights well for the ball. Team needs to start trusting him more in that in tight capacity. He's not easy to handle and is second only to Bowman for being strong to the ball. (Stamps has fallen back)

Esks also have Foster and Bailey now so you gotta wonder if clock is ticking on Coehoorn who is 28 in 2 weeks and has had a disappointing fallback year.

heres something interesting. Since signing an extension last August Coehoorn has 450yds in last 19GP. This after actually building some steam last season prior to signing the contract. I'd wonder if a little bit of comfortable has crept in. A guy like Nate has to be outworking everybody else on the field to be of any value. I don't think he's doing that consistently.

Old
09-02-2014, 10:52 PM
Stoneman89

Quote:
Originally Posted by Replacement View Post
Been banging this drum for a longtime as you know. Theres very little that has ever impressed me about Coehoorn. Clumsy receiver, appears to have never locked into his full grown run. Guy looks to me that he had a growth spurt at some point in his life and has been relatively clumsy ever since. Good enough to impress in some varsity ball I guess but he's slow, has no moves, is easy to cover, and for a guy that was as sold as somebody that can break tackle he rarely does.

Again yesterday on two plays I'm wondering if he even knows where the chains are. He was a drive stopper on two drives. Conversely Chambers more and more is separating from this guy. You would never know Chambers is 3yrs younger. Plays with more composure, way more talent, and made two excellent plays yesterday that simply aren't within Coehoorns ability. On one play Chambers gets what looks to be a short gainer and through second and third effort finds the first down marker. Reilly was just shouting enthusiasm for what Chambers did there. On the very play after Chambers one hand stabs a catch. The type of catch a vaunted international would make. I Have nothing but patience for a player that shows that kind of talent and ability and Shamawd is progressing nicely. I think he needs to see the ball more and QB need to put it there more. Put it in a spot where only Shamawd is going to get it and he's going to be reasonable bringing home 50/50balls. He fights well for the ball. Team needs to start trusting him more in that in tight capacity. He's not easy to handle and is second only to Bowman for being strong to the ball. (Stamps has fallen back)

Esks also have Foster and Bailey now so you gotta wonder if clock is ticking on Coehoorn who is 28 in 2 weeks and has had a disappointing fallback year.

heres something interesting. Since signing an extension last August Coehoorn has 450yds in last 19GP. This after actually building some steam last season prior to signing the contract. I'd wonder if a little bit of comfortable has crept in. A guy like Nate has to be outworking everybody else on the field to be of any value. I don't think he's doing that consistently.

His lack of effort on an interception against the Argos was terrible. Let the defender basically take it away from him by positioning and then did nothing to go after him and bring him down. Just kind of stood there and watched.

Old
09-02-2014, 11:14 PM
Kyle McMahon

Quote:
The wind in McMahon tends to swirl, and when you chose to leave the wind, you run the risk it can change direction on you before you get your chance to use it to your advantage.
So if I'm understanding you correct, Jones elected to take the wind for the THIRD quarter? That would be Kavis Reed-level stupidity. You might only get two possessions in a third quarter in which you start by kicking away to the other team.

On Coehoorn, I had high hopes at one point, but he seemed to flatline last year and has regressed this year. Which coincides with Bowman's return to the lineup from that long injury. Both are possession receivers, and Bowman is obviously much better and will be the primary on all the underneath and medium inside routes. Coehoorn is basically Bowman's backup, and has not shown the versatility to play well in any other area of the field.

Old
09-02-2014, 11:19 PM
Replacement
Now 11.5% more Zen

Quote:
His lack of effort on an interception against the Argos was terrible. Let the defender basically take it away from him by positioning and then did nothing to go after him and bring him down. Just kind of stood there and watched.
Yep, we both mentioned that one. Cardinal receiver sin right there letting a defender get inside position on the ball like that. You do anything in that situation not allowing that interception to happen. Even haul the guy down, take an offensive PI call. He just stood dumbly looking.

To compound this in many situations Coehoorn doesn't come to the ball. He's somehow content to waste time letting the ball to come to him in intight situations. That was part of the problem on that play.

The Pro game moves too fast for this guy and always has. Most the Esks are getting from him right now is some contribution on special teams. At least he's adaptable that way. I suspect we have to see him for years to come though. Unless Jones is seeing what I've seen all along.

Old
09-02-2014, 11:20 PM
Replacement
Now 11.5% more Zen

Quote:
So if I'm understanding you correct, Jones elected to take the wind for the THIRD quarter? That would be Kavis Reed-level stupidity. You might only get two possessions in a third quarter in which you start by kicking away to the other team.

On Coehoorn, I had high hopes at one point, but he seemed to flatline last year and has regressed this year. Which coincides with Bowman's return to the lineup from that long injury. Both are possession receivers, and Bowman is obviously much better and will be the primary on all the underneath and medium inside routes. Coehoorn is basically Bowman's backup, and has not shown the versatility to play well in any other area of the field.
The wind was negligible in the second half. "Labor day Classic" feeling to this game was negligible as well..

That said I'm still positive about this Esks team if it can get Reilly and Stamps back in reasonable health. I'm fine as stated with losing this game and winning a playoff game. The Esks I think can do that and I'm fine if Stamps think they are worlds better right now. Let them think that.

My take is this was a statement game from Cornish and crew. Got jacked in the matchup, home crowd, and wanted to define something. Stamps played a good game and about as good as they got. We didn't and didn't have the available personnel to do that.

Stamps were going to win this game, I flat out knew that, but we're not as far apart as people think after this game either. Put two healthy squads together (hopefully) in November and then it'll be a classic. That WILL be the battle as well. Esks vs Stamps for the Grey Cup, cough, I mean Western Final..

Last edited by Replacement: 09-02-2014 at 11:26 PM.
Old
09-03-2014, 12:38 AM
Ek het lief Woef
woof woof woof

vCash: 128
Still on pace for that 14-4 record. All is good.

Old
09-03-2014, 08:54 AM
Gord
Tesla

vCash: 623
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ser Woof View Post
I don't know. you have to worry when even your coach wonders why the team had no energy and played flat. that's not a good sign in any game let alone a big game.

Old
09-03-2014, 09:42 AM
Stoneman89

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ser Woof View Post
Unfortunately, that pace will be skewered by the rest of our schedule having many more games against tough West Division peers rather than the sad sack Eastern division patsies that we piled up 5 wins on. We're going to find out in the next few weeks if we just happen to better than anything in the east or can actually compete in the west.

Old
09-03-2014, 09:48 AM
Stoneman89

Quote:

That's what I think he is as well - a backup. But at least he blocks sometimes.

Old
09-03-2014, 09:49 AM
Stoneman89

Everyone seems to think if Mike Reilly and Stamps play, our chances go up dramatically. I'm not going to argue the quality of these two players, but Stamps has been a shadow of his former self this year, even from the start, and Reilly's record against Calgary is 0-5, going back to his time with the Lions. A healthy Reilly did not look particularly sharp in the earlier game against Calgary as well. It would be nice if they proved to be the difference, but I'm not counting on it.

Old
09-03-2014, 09:52 AM
joestevens29

vCash: 350
Quote:
Everyone seems to think if Mike Reilly and Stamps play, our chances go up dramatically. I'm not going to argue the quality of these two players, but Stamps has been a shadow of his former self this year, even from the start, and Reilly's record against Calgary is 0-5, going back to his time with the Lions. A healthy Reilly did not look particularly sharp in the earlier game against Calgary as well. It would be nice if they proved to be the difference, but I'm not counting on it.
Honestly I don't know what to think. I do think Reilly gives us a better shot, but yes you are right on Stamps. Especially when coming off injury we can't expect too much.

My main concern is stupid plays or missed chances. Can't have these bad drops or take costly penalties that result in 7 points going the other way.

Old
09-03-2014, 10:35 AM
dookers9

Quote:
Unfortunately, that pace will be skewered by the rest of our schedule having many more games against tough West Division peers rather than the sad sack Eastern division patsies that we piled up 5 wins on. We're going to find out in the next few weeks if we just happen to better than anything in the east or can actually compete in the west.
Yup. Given how woeful our record and performance was last year, most fans had been more than happy to revel in a remarkable bounce-back of only 1 loss. I'm not saying that the sky is falling, and I believe we'll be more competitive assuming Reilly's back. But the true indicator of what this team is worth will come with the murderer's row of West teams in the 2nd half.

Old
09-03-2014, 10:46 AM
dookers9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rawg View Post
Yellow pants are so 70s
Interesting. I disagree.

I absolutely hate the green helmets and pants they hit the road with nowadays. Too much green against an already green field. I've always, and still do prefer the yellow.

Old
09-03-2014, 11:05 AM
Gord
Tesla

vCash: 623
Quote:
Originally Posted by dookers9 View Post
Interesting. I disagree.

I absolutely hate the green helmets and pants they hit the road with nowadays. Too much green against an already green field. I've always, and still do prefer the yellow.
I actually don't care about the colours, as long as the pants are a different colour than the jersey. I hate for example when they do green on green.

Old
09-03-2014, 11:12 AM
Stoneman89

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gord View Post
I actually don't care about the colours, as long as the pants are a different colour than the jersey. I hate for example when they do green on green.

I seem to recall they did a white jersey with white pants for a year or two as well. Pretty bad looking. Don't mind the jersey combos now for both home and away, as well as the helmet design. Leave it alone, I say, they got it right and they look great.

Old
09-03-2014, 12:03 PM
dookers9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gord View Post
Quote:
I seem to recall they did a white jersey with white pants for a year or two as well. Pretty bad looking. Don't mind the jersey combos now for both home and away, as well as the helmet design. Leave it alone, I say, they got it right and they look great.
Each to his own, I suppose, though I'm of the opinion that the Packers' unis are perfectly classic, and in turn, so are the Eskimos' when the originals are worn.

Hmm... I wonder how it'd look to go with the gold pants with the green helmet?

I digress. I likes the golds. And I don't have much issue with the unis for this w/e either.

And I agree that double green or double white don't cut it aesthetically.

Old
09-03-2014, 12:09 PM
Replacement
Now 11.5% more Zen

Quote:
Man that was awful. I kept thinking what kind of lily white teams plays football in a white uniform..

I think the field was still artificial turf so at least the guys actually playing football looked a lil green and white which was obviously strange when playing the riders..

Old
09-03-2014, 12:47 PM
dookers9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Replacement View Post
Man that was awful. I kept thinking what kind of lily white teams plays football in a white uniform..

I think the field was still artificial turf so at least the guys actually playing football looked a lil green and white which was obviously strange when playing the riders..
Easy to find a receiver...

Closed Thread