HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

The Edmonton Eskimos 2014 CFL season is here! Part 2

Closed Thread

Old
08-08-2014, 09:44 PM
Six in O6

vCash: 500
I'm ok with the Eskimos effort in garbage time. They got the win, that's all that mattered. Reilly managed the game well and only had the one glaring error. That was a game you want to simply take care of business and get out healthy.

Old
08-08-2014, 09:57 PM
Replacement
Now 11.5% more Zen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ser Woof View Post
The Esks made this game much closer than it needed to be. The Als may not have had a shot of winning the game, but it doesn't matter. The Esks lack a killer instinct and let teams hang around too often.

Just frustrating. I'd rather not waste my time watching 30 minutes of low quality lackadaisical play. This team should have put up 50 points on a horrible Montreal team. Look at all the injuries we sustained due to keeping our starters in. Watkins and Samuels could have been prevented if we'd ended this midway through the third. At least Watkins seems okay.
Frustrating game. Really a deplorable effort by the Eskimos and when you're in a football game and lose your focus out there its when the injuries pile up.

Oh, and Miles needs to be cut. I said this after the Calgary game wherein he single handedly cost us the game, now the abysmal performance in this one. 4mins left in a game up for grabs and you rush the punt and fumble? You make that aggressive more there, really. ****ing idiot. I'm nervous each time the opponents kick the ball. Our special teams are just ****ing awful.

Old
08-08-2014, 10:46 PM
Ek het lief Woef
woof woof woof

vCash: 128
Quote:
Originally Posted by Replacement View Post
Frustrating game. Really a deplorable effort by the Eskimos and when you're in a football game and lose your focus out there its when the injuries pile up.

Oh, and Miles needs to be cut. I said this after the Calgary game wherein he single handedly cost us the game, now the abysmal performance in this one. 4mins left in a game up for grabs and you rush the punt and fumble? You make that aggressive more there, really. ****ing idiot. I'm nervous each time the opponents kick the ball. Our special teams are just ****ing awful.
Yeah, Miles has the odd great return but his ball security is horrid. That has to be what, his fourth or fifth fumble this season already? We've recovered a couple of em but he's a trainwreck back there at times.

Hopefully we see a more complete 60 minute against Ottawa. No reason or excuse not to come out of this Eastern swing 2-0 and beat Toronto at home afterwards.

Old
08-10-2014, 12:32 AM
Cloned
Dial M for Michelle

Over/under on how many more games Tom Higgins has before he gets fired?

Also, it'd be hilarious if the standings turned out like this:

West
#1 - 16-2
#2 - 15-3
#3 - 12-6
#4 - 11-7
#5 - 11-7

East
#1 - 7-11
#2 - 6-12
#3 - 5-13
#4 - 3-15

Sig AND X-mas avatar courtesy of The Nemesis

"Pull yourself together!" - Solid Snake to Otacon, multiple times in the series
Old
08-10-2014, 12:38 AM
rboomercat90

vCash: 205
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cloned View Post

West
#1 - 16-2
#2 - 15-3
#3 - 12-6
#4 - 11-7
#5 - 11-7

East
#1 - 7-11
#2 - 6-12
#3 - 5-13
#4 - 3-15
Who would they go to next? That team is a real mess. Laughable to hear Glen Suitor say they have good players in place there and they just need to wait for Troy Smith to figure it out. Much bigger problems than him.

Old
08-10-2014, 12:42 AM
Cloned
Dial M for Michelle

Quote:
Originally Posted by rboomercat90 View Post
Who would they go to next? That team is a real mess. Laughable to hear Glen Suitor say they have good players in place there and they just need to wait for Troy Smith to figure it out. Much bigger problems than him.
Problem is they lost a franchise QB *and* a franchise coach at about the same time. You could argue they lost a franchise receiver with Richardson getting old and getting released too. That's a tall order for any organization to fix in 1 or even 2 years, even in the CFL. Calvillo covered up for a lot of problems.

Old
08-10-2014, 10:05 AM
Stoneman89

Quote:

West
#1 - 16-2
#2 - 15-3
#3 - 12-6
#4 - 11-7
#5 - 11-7

East
#1 - 7-11
#2 - 6-12
#3 - 5-13
#4 - 3-15
That's the way it's trending. The only the way teams in the east get more wins is by beating each other. Anything else is a massive upset. Winnipeg might be ripe with getting beat, but their defence is really good. Toronto might steal one or two if they get healthy, but after that, I can't see anyone else winning.

Higgins is in a tough spot. Has a bunch of greenhorns to work with at the toughest position, and a revamped lineup with aging vets left over from the glory days. Smith seems to have the physical tools. It remains to be seen whether he can be developed properly to make sure they're used the right way. I think the Als have resigned themselves to the fact that this is a transition/rebuilding year and maybe next year too.

Old
08-10-2014, 10:09 AM
Stoneman89

Quote:

I am frustrated by Miles play as well. The guy they had the first couple games intrigued me, but then got injured. Patrick Robertson is his name, I believe. Apparently he's on the 6 game list, so he should be ready to come off soon if ready. They definitely need much better play from that position.

Old
08-10-2014, 10:13 AM
Stoneman89

Quote:
Originally Posted by Six in O6 View Post
I'm ok with the Eskimos effort in garbage time. They got the win, that's all that mattered. Reilly managed the game well and only had the one glaring error. That was a game you want to simply take care of business and get out healthy.
The problem with taking your foot completely off the gas and playing conservatively is that there is always the chance you let the other team in the game. And this one had all the makings of that potentially happening. And the other thing, as has been mentioned, is that your starters have to stay in longer and the potential to lose one of them to injury increases. They took care of business and won, which is good and the main thing of course, but they did not come out unscathed.

Old
08-10-2014, 03:42 PM
Starbuds
You like muscles?

Time to get rid of divisions. I think it would benefit the quality Eastern teams in the long run. Iron sharpens iron and all that.

Old
08-11-2014, 09:12 AM
Gord
Tesla

vCash: 250
Quote:
Originally Posted by MoneyGuy View Post
I love Dunigan and don't get the dislike. He's very knowledgeable. I always learn something from the guy. It helps that he was a QB as he sees the game from the point of view of a QB. He may be the best colour man in years.
he's a very biased person, with no grace or class. add to that being a jerk, and you should get why people don't like him. I hate every time he opens his mouth.

example of why I dislike him is in a recent game I watched. he was getting props for his record breaking passing game 20 years ago. instead of being humble and thankful, he whined that he left yards on the field and could have had many more.

Old
08-11-2014, 09:26 AM
Beerfish

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gord View Post
he's a very biased person, with no grace or class. add to that being a jerk, and you should get why people don't like him. I hate every time he opens his mouth.

example of why I dislike him is in a recent game I watched. he was getting props for his record breaking passing game 20 years ago. instead of being humble and thankful, he whined that he left yards on the field and could have had many more.
I really disagree, I'll leave it at that.

Old
08-11-2014, 09:39 AM
MoneyGuy

Quote:

That's Dunigan's sense of humour. He's a nice guy. We'll have to disagree. He is very knowledgeable.

Old
08-11-2014, 11:32 AM
Replacement
Now 11.5% more Zen

Quote:

That's your interpretation. people that are really competitive have trouble receiving praise.

nobody on a field was more competitive than Dunnigan. A guy that was that much better due to how far he was willing to go.

I like his commentary, don't find him arrogant at all. Some people could be put off by the voice maybe.

Old
08-11-2014, 01:47 PM
rboomercat90

The guy is my all time favorite CFL quarterback. Nobody else played as fearlessly as he did. The guy was in the league for years before he ever started to slide at the end of running plays. Shortened his career because of it. I guess his broadcasting is the same way. He speaks before he thinks sometimes but he is always entertaining.

Old
08-11-2014, 03:42 PM
Gord
Tesla

vCash: 250
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beerfish View Post
I really disagree, I'll leave it at that.
fair enough we're all entitled to our opinions, and I obviously have a different one than you all do.

Old
08-11-2014, 03:59 PM
OilerPensfan94
Connor McGretzky

vCash: 550
Quote:

West
#1 - 16-2
#2 - 15-3
#3 - 12-6
#4 - 11-7
#5 - 11-7

East
#1 - 7-11
#2 - 6-12
#3 - 5-13
#4 - 3-15
Time to scrap the divisions if this happens. It would be so stupid to have an 11-7 team to miss while a 7-11 team gets a bye.

Old
08-12-2014, 07:39 PM
guymez
The Seldom Seen Kid

vCash: 50
Wow..interesting to read the posts on last weeks game.

This team is 5 -1 and coasted to a victory in the last game after half time and that apparently was worthy of criticism.

Some people should be forced to watch every game from last season over again as a reminder of what is worthy of criticism.

This team is still finding itself and winning while doing it.

Color me impressed.

Old
08-12-2014, 07:47 PM
Replacement
Now 11.5% more Zen

Quote:
Originally Posted by guymez View Post
Wow..interesting to read the posts on last weeks game.

This team is 5 -1 and coasted to a victory in the last game after half time and that apparently was worthy of criticism.

Some people should be forced to watch every game from last season over again as a reminder of what is worthy of criticism.

This team is still finding itself and winning while doing it.

Color me impressed.
They were playing a club not even remotely worthy of playing pro football. A club that had been bombed to the tune of 72-10 in the last pregames. The Esks somehow managed to keep a club like this in a football game.

Also, two cardinal mistakes made that are inexcusable while protecting a lead late in the game. Miles fumbles a punt recovery with 4mins left. An Esks Rookie also fumbles the ball after a good interception with 2 minutes left resulting in the Al's only TD in multiple weeks.

Yeah we won, against any other team in the league we can't play like that.

Jones wasn't overly pleased about it either on the sidelines.

Old
08-12-2014, 09:02 PM
guymez
The Seldom Seen Kid

Quote:
They were playing a club not even remotely worthy of playing pro football. A club that had been bombed to the tune of 72-10 in the last pregames. The Esks somehow managed to keep a club like this in a football game.

Also, two cardinal mistakes made that are inexcusable while protecting a lead late in the game. Miles fumbles a punt recovery with 4mins left. An Esks Rookie also fumbles the ball after a good interception with 2 minutes left resulting in the Al's only TD in multiple weeks.

Yeah we won, against any other team in the league we can't play like that.

Jones wasn't overly pleased about it either on the sidelines.

Against a good team they aren't up by 25+ points at half time.

All things considered you're expectations are incongruant.

You have to remember that this team is still finding itself after a season of futility just last year

That half of football wont be meaningful at all by seasons end.

Old
08-12-2014, 09:53 PM
Replacement
Now 11.5% more Zen

Quote:
Originally Posted by guymez View Post
Against a good team they aren't up by 25+ points at half time.

All things considered you're expectations are incongruant.

You have to remember that this team is still finding itself after a season of futility just last year

That half of football wont be meaningful at all by seasons end.
Don't get me wrong I love this team that's been assembled. Good enough to win it all imo. Agreed that the only thing that mattered in Montreal and Ottawa is pulling out wins. Even with a crossover making the playoffs in the west is tough.

Gonna be a crazy year and with wins or losses pretty important this year. People forget that With Bombers in the west now somebody in the west misses the playoffs although I suspect its Winnipeg.

Old
08-12-2014, 09:59 PM
rboomercat90

Quote:
Don't get me wrong I love this team that's been assembled. Good enough to win it all imo. Agreed that the only thing that mattered in Montreal and Ottawa is pulling out wins. Even with a crossover making the playoffs in the west is tough.

Gonna be a crazy year and with wins or losses pretty important this year. People forget that With Bombers in the west now somebody in the west misses the playoffs although I suspect its Winnipeg.
Winnipeg seems to be coming back to earth now. They didn't look very good in Toronto tonight and who can forget that final 2 minutes against the Riders last week.

Old
08-12-2014, 10:09 PM
Replacement
Now 11.5% more Zen

Quote:
Originally Posted by rboomercat90 View Post
Winnipeg seems to be coming back to earth now. They didn't look very good in Toronto tonight and who can forget that final 2 minutes against the Riders last week.
This is the 5th game the Bombers have played against eastern clubs already this season. Are they a Western club in name only lol?

Man they've had an easy schedule and they even get bombed again tonight. Wheels falling off the bomber.

Old
08-12-2014, 10:15 PM
guymez
The Seldom Seen Kid

Quote:

I agree about Winnipeg although the question mark for me is BC. If Lulay misses most of the season then I see them competing with Winnipeg for that spot.

With a completely healthy roster I think Calgary is the best team in the CFL...I also think the Eskimos are in the next tier which is remarkable considering how bad they were last season.

Old
08-12-2014, 10:58 PM
MoneyGuy

Good game tonight, which surprised me. I'd almost given up on east-west games. Too many blowouts, and the east often outclassed.

Now bring on the Rough Rid...er RedBlacks.

Closed Thread