HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Brassard re-signed (5 years, $5M per)

Old
07-27-2014, 02:49 PM
Carl33

vCash: 500
wow...i like Brassard, but I think this is way too much!

around 4 M would had be fair I think, simmilar to Pouliot who get paid more than his value to go in Edmonton, brassard staying in the big apple a 5/5 is a lot of money, hope he became a good second line center for you guys!

not want to start a war, but devils fans are probably laught at this contract and praise the contract Zajac signed las season at 5,75!

Carl33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Brian Boyle
ZibaneFAM

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rust Heisenberg View Post
I'm pissed they caved on Brassard but didn't extend Zucc for a long term deal. That's the more important line member. Jeez.
Brassard is a center, though! That automatically makes him worth $5M for 5 years while Zucc is a winger so he only gets 1 year, despite being the far superior player.

SA16
Sixstring

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeffMangum View Post
All I can do is laugh.

Joke of a contract. Yeah let's give an average 2C $5M long term wooooo! Chemistry!!!1
All this really means is you don't understand the economics of the rising cap and how that affects new contracts. Pretty much it means that you are set on a number and have done no real research to prove if it is good or not other than it "feels right" because it is what you are used to. 5M is the going rate for a center nearing UFA status who scored ~45 points now. Saying Brassard doesn't do other thing that some other centers do is irrelevant because we are talking about a random sample of player types and skills within that 45 point range some of which will be good defensively, some bad, some good on faceoffs, some bad etc...If you want to only pay 2.5-3M for a center that's fine you can have Paul Gaustad or Boyd Gordon.

SA16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
TheTakedown
Puck is Life

As long as zucc gets 4.2-4.4 next year then its more than fair. Looks like management wants brass and zucc long term. Guys been A great playoff player for us! About 500k more than I would like but given the term that is fair on brassards part.

If step scores 65-70 points this year he will get $6M. But 70 points is a 1C so I'll take it. As long as miller can do 40 points in his first full season our C depth issue might be smaller than everyone else is making it out to be!

TheTakedown is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
RangerBoy
HOPE & CHANGE

Quote:
Derick Brassard and the Rangers are close to a deal but it's not done. Still work to be done on some details. Contract not signed.
https://twitter.com/renlavoietva/sta...82860440223744

That usually involves the no trade clause. Limited no trade.

RangerBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-27-2014, 02:50 PM
Brian Boyle
ZibaneFAM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RangerBoy View Post
https://twitter.com/renlavoietva/sta...82860440223744

That usually involves the no trade clause. Limited no trade.
hopefully it falls apart

Brian Boyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-27-2014, 02:50 PM
BlueshirtBlitz
Oscar Limburger

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeffMangum View Post
All I can do is laugh.

Joke of a contract. Yeah let's give an average 2C $5M long term wooooo! Chemistry!!!1
I'm mostly in agreement with you, but it looks like contracts in general are taking a big leap.

It'll be a year or two before I'm ready to call this a bad contract. Right now, though, i'm leaning towards bad contract.

Should've taken him to arbitration.

Hope we keep Zuke.

BlueshirtBlitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-27-2014, 02:51 PM
BlueshirtBlitz
Oscar Limburger

Quote:
Originally Posted by azaloum90 View Post
As long as zucc gets 4.2-4.4 next year then its more than fair. Looks like management wants brass and zucc long term. Guys been A great playoff player for us! About 500k more than I would like but given the term that is fair on brassards part.

If step scores 65-70 points this year he will get $6M. But 70 points is a 1C so I'll take it. As long as miller can do 40 points in his first full season our C depth issue might be smaller than everyone else is making it out to be!
If Brass gets 5 million, Zuke deserves more than 5 million. Cap needs to go way up next year.

Old
07-27-2014, 02:52 PM
Brian Boyle
ZibaneFAM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SA16 View Post
All this really means is you don't understand the economics of the rising cap and how that affects new contracts. Pretty much it means that you are set on a number and have done no real research to prove if it is good or not other than it "feels right" because it is what you are used to. 5M is the going rate for a center nearing UFA status who scored ~45 points now. If you want to only pay 2.5-3M for a center that's fine you can have Paul Gaustad or Boyd Gordon.
Yeah, that's cool. I don't think a majority of the players you listed in your little chart are actually worth what they're paid.

And, again, that's if you're going strictly off points, disregarding the fact that Brassard is a mediocre player at even strength.

Old
07-27-2014, 02:52 PM
TheTakedown
Puck is Life

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueshirtBlitz View Post
If Brass gets 5 million, Zuke deserves more than 5 million. Cap needs to go way up next year.
Zucc is a winger so he costs less as per market value

TheTakedown is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-27-2014, 02:53 PM
TeamStewie

Quote:
All this really means is you don't understand the economics of the rising cap and how that affects new contracts. Pretty much it means that you are set on a number and have done no real research to prove if it is good or not other than it "feels right" because it is what you are used to. 5M is the going rate for a center nearing UFA status who scored ~45 points now. Saying Brassard doesn't do other thing that some other centers do is irrelevant because we are talking about a random sample of player types and skills within that 45 point range some of which will be good defensively, some bad, some good on faceoffs, some bad etc...If you want to only pay 2.5-3M for a center that's fine you can have Paul Gaustad or Boyd Gordon.

Dubi got 5.85.

TeamStewie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
BlueshirtBlitz
Oscar Limburger

Quote:
He should've made less than Bryan Little, who is a superior player at the same age.

4.5 would've been a fine contract for a middling 2C. 5 is a little too much right now, especially if it makes signing MZA harder.

Old
Hunter Gathers
No one deserves . .

Send a message via AIM to Hunter Gathers
I am OK with 5/5. I wanted 5/4.5, but this is fine.

Hunter Gathers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-27-2014, 02:54 PM
Jabroni
The People's Champ

I'm surprised at $5M cap hit and I was thinking more along the lines of 3-4 year deal.

07-27-2014, 02:54 PM
BlueshirtBlitz
Oscar Limburger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jabroni View Post
I'm surprised at $5M cap hit and I was thinking more along the lines of 3-4 year deal.
That's a good point, too. 5 years is a little long for a player like Brass.

Old
07-27-2014, 02:55 PM
SA16
Sixstring

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueshirtBlitz View Post
He should've made less than Bryan Little, who is a superior player at the same age.

4.5 would've been a fine contract for a middling 2C. 5 is a little too much right now, especially if it makes signing MZA harder.
He did. Little signed his contract a year before when the cap was 64.3. That contract signed today would be worth 5.05M. Also I think Little;s contract buys out 3 UFA years while Brassard's buys out 4. I don't understand why almost nobody understands that. You cannot use static numbers in a world where the cap number changes every year and use them to compare contracts.

SA16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-27-2014, 02:56 PM
Lundsanity30

People are flipping out over market value.. I don't think its a good deal either but if he's a 50 point center, that's what the market is for him.

Lundsanity30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-27-2014, 02:57 PM
RangerBoy
HOPE & CHANGE

Very good playoff performer. He was their best forward in the Caps series in 2013. The best forward in the Pittsburgh series. Went up against the Giroux line in the Philly series. Centers are very hard to find. Brassard turns 27 later this year.

RangerBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-27-2014, 02:57 PM
BlueshirtBlitz
Oscar Limburger

Quote:
He did. Little signed his contract a year before when the cap was 64.3. That contract signed today would be worth 5.05M. I don't understand why almost nobody understands that. You cannot use static numbers in a world where the cap number changes every year and use them to compare contracts.
but he's not worth 50,000 less than Bryan Little, he's worth less than that.

Either way, it's an overpay.

Old
07-27-2014, 02:58 PM
Brian Boyle
ZibaneFAM

Quote:
He did. Little signed his contract a year before when the cap was 64.3. That contract signed today would be worth 5.05M. Also I think Little;s contract buys out 3 UFA years while Brassard's buys out 4. I don't understand why almost nobody understands that. You cannot use static numbers in a world where the cap number changes every year and use them to compare contracts.
Would not have been happy signing Brassard to Little's contract when it was signed

Whatever this value equals under whatever cap, I wouldn't have been happy with it. Too much for too long for an average player. How many good teams have players like Brassard signed long term?

Old
07-27-2014, 02:59 PM
NYRFAN218
Mac Truck

I'm not in love with the contract but it's the going rate these days. Does anyone really expect him to play out the duration of the contract with the Rangers though? Take a look at the roster from 5 years ago and see how many guys are still with the team. I look at this as locking down an asset for a while that could always be dealt later on. Better than signing him to a 3 year deal and we lose him for nothing.

EDIT - Just did it on my own. 3 guys. Staal, Girardi, and Henrik from the 09-10 team.

mint
Krisbryantisbest

vCash: 3000
Just an all around terrible deal.

mint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Wolfy*

Good lord...what a Pouliot style contract, is Slats out of cigars?

Wolfy* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-27-2014, 03:00 PM
Inferno
HFB Partner

Not a great deal or a terrible deal....market value...men.

Inferno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-27-2014, 03:00 PM
NYRFAN218
Mac Truck

Quote:
Originally Posted by RangerBoy View Post
Very good playoff performer. He was their best forward in the Caps series in 2013. The best forward in the Pittsburgh series. Went up against the Giroux line in the Philly series. Centers are very hard to find. Brassard turns 27 later this year.
This too. In the past two playoffs, he's been the Rangers top point getter.

NYRFAN218 is offline   Reply With Quote