HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Brassard re-signed (5 years, $5M per)

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
07-27-2014, 03:20 PM
  #101
RangerBoy
#freejtmiller
 
RangerBoy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: New York
Country: United States
Posts: 32,456
vCash: 500
Quote:
New York Rangers President and General Manager Glen Sather announced today that the team has agreed to terms with restricted free agent forward Derick Brassard.
http://blueshirtsunited.com/posts/64...9#.U9Ve6lbxS-I

RangerBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-27-2014, 03:21 PM
  #102
Fitzy
All Is Well
 
Fitzy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 20,007
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by nyr2k2 View Post
The market dictates a player's worth. You might not want to give the guy what he's worth, or you might think the market is out of whack, but it is what it is.
The hit itself isn't the biggest problem, it's the term.

They needed Brassard this upcoming season, but there is no reason to suggest that the need would continue to be dire 4 years from now.

Brassard doesn't strike me as the kind of player you give a 5 year deal to. I don't think that he would have had any issue taking a one year deal so he could test the UFA market.

__________________
"I have something better than proof: I have anecdotal evidence."
Fitzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-27-2014, 03:21 PM
  #103
Jim Ramsay
Registered User
 
Jim Ramsay's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Warwick, NY
Country: United States
Posts: 530
vCash: 500
I can't wait till Zucc extends during the season so people will stop worrying so much about it....Staal will be traded at some point this season to free up salary to keep Zuccarello

Jim Ramsay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-27-2014, 03:21 PM
  #104
JeffMangum
Man Girardi
 
JeffMangum's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Listening to music
Country: United States
Posts: 59,564
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fitzy View Post
The hit itself isn't the biggest problem, it's the term.

They needed Brassard this upcoming season, but there is no reason to suggest that the need would continue to be dire 4 years from now.

Brassard doesn't strike me as the kind of player you give a 5 year deal to. I don't think that he would have had any issue taking a one year deal so he could test the UFA market.
This. it's not all about the cap hit (which is also bad), but the fact that we gave him that cap hit long term. For a year or two, I wouldn't have minded it.

__________________
Soon.
JeffMangum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-27-2014, 03:24 PM
  #105
RangerBoy
#freejtmiller
 
RangerBoy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: New York
Country: United States
Posts: 32,456
vCash: 500
Quote:
Interesting last couple of hours, I can confirm that Derick Brassard has agreed to terms on a 5 year contract.
https://twitter.com/walsha/status/493491873390936066

RangerBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-27-2014, 03:27 PM
  #106
nyr2k2
Can't Beat Him
 
nyr2k2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Washington, DC
Country: United States
Posts: 24,602
vCash: 50
Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fitzy View Post
The hit itself isn't the biggest problem, it's the term.

They needed Brassard this upcoming season, but there is no reason to suggest that the need would continue to be dire 4 years from now.

Brassard doesn't strike me as the kind of player you give a 5 year deal to. I don't think that he would have had any issue taking a one year deal so he could test the UFA market.
That's fine, I understand not liking the term. I just take issue with the idea that his cap hit is some completely insane figure. It looks pretty reasonable in the current market.

What makes you think he was willing to take a short deal? Has he ever said anything to indicate that?

__________________

It's just pain.
nyr2k2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-27-2014, 03:28 PM
  #107
NYRCSKA*
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Parts unknown
Posts: 621
vCash: 500
I love it.

NYRCSKA* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-27-2014, 03:28 PM
  #108
Fire Sather
4 MORE YEARS!
 
Fire Sather's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: Connecticut
Country: United States
Posts: 22,368
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Fire Sather
Quote:
Originally Posted by JeffMangum View Post
This. it's not all about the cap hit (which is also bad), but the fact that we gave him that cap hit long term. For a year or two, I wouldn't have minded it.
Wouldn't you rather get 2 years out of him then trade him rather than lose him for nothing?

If he has 2 seasons with the production hes given us for the last 1 1/2 seasons + playoffs its a contract that can easily be moved should we choose to, and its likely we will if you take a look at our roster 5 years ago.

Gomez was traded. Rozey was traded when he made 5M and 5M was a bigger contract then than it is now and will be in the future.

Fire Sather is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-27-2014, 03:29 PM
  #109
JeffMangum
Man Girardi
 
JeffMangum's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Listening to music
Country: United States
Posts: 59,564
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by nyr2k2 View Post
That's fine, I understand not liking the term. I just take issue with the idea that his cap hit is some completely insane figure. It looks pretty reasonable in the current market.

What makes you think he was willing to take a short deal? Has he ever said anything to indicate that?
We could have just took him to arbitration and we would have been able to make him sign a short deal.

JeffMangum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-27-2014, 03:29 PM
  #110
Fitzy
All Is Well
 
Fitzy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 20,007
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by nyr2k2 View Post
That's fine, I understand not liking the term. I just take issue with the idea that his cap hit is some completely insane figure. It looks pretty reasonable in the current market.

What makes you think he was willing to take a short deal? Has he ever said anything to indicate that?
Generally, if a player is one year away from UFA status in a rising cap market, they are happy to take the one year deal. The other end of the coin would be concern about injury, but usually players are happy to hit UFA as young as possible.

Fitzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-27-2014, 03:30 PM
  #111
nyr2k2
Can't Beat Him
 
nyr2k2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Washington, DC
Country: United States
Posts: 24,602
vCash: 50
Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by JeffMangum View Post
We could have just took him to arbitration and we would have been able to make him sign a short deal.
Thanks for explaining to me things I know.

Fitzy said he didn't think Brassard would have a problem with it. I want to know why he thinks that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fitzy View Post
Generally, if a player is one year away from UFA status in a rising cap market, they are happy to take the one year deal. The other end of the coin would be concern about injury, but usually players are happy to hit UFA as young as possible.
Didn't he basically sign a UFA deal though? He gave up 4 years of UFA and earned himself a pretty penny.

I mean if this deal it as outrageous as some of you are making it out to be, Brassard's gotta be pretty thrilled, right?

nyr2k2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-27-2014, 03:31 PM
  #112
JeffMangum
Man Girardi
 
JeffMangum's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Listening to music
Country: United States
Posts: 59,564
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fire Sather View Post
Wouldn't you rather get 2 years out of him then trade him rather than lose him for nothing?

If he has 2 seasons with the production hes given us for the last 1 1/2 seasons + playoffs its a contract that can easily be moved should we choose to, and its likely we will if you take a look at our roster 5 years ago.

Gomez was traded. Rozey was traded when he made 5M and 5M was a bigger contract then than it is now and will be in the future.
I mean, looking at it like that, it sounds better. That said, I'm worried that it will hinder our ability to keep Zuccarello long term.

JeffMangum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-27-2014, 03:32 PM
  #113
JeffMangum
Man Girardi
 
JeffMangum's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Listening to music
Country: United States
Posts: 59,564
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by nyr2k2 View Post
Thanks for explaining to me things I know.

Fitzy said he didn't think Brassard would have a problem with it. I want to know why he thinks that.
I don't think whether or not Brassard has a problem with it is relevant, but he kind of did explain why. Hitting the UFA market is definitely enticing to players, especially a center like Brassard who knows he could get a ridiculous payday.

JeffMangum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-27-2014, 03:33 PM
  #114
BrooklynRangersFan
Change is good.
 
BrooklynRangersFan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Brooklyn of course
Country: United States
Posts: 10,892
vCash: 500
People are *****ing about this? Really? I think this is an extremely good deal, given that they bought four UFA years of a legitimate #2 center (based both on his actual point totals and his importance to the Stanley Cup runners up) entering his prime. What did you people think Brassard was going to cost? I was expecting one year at his QO, 2 years at $4.4-4.7 or 3 years at 4.7-5.0. To get 5 years at $5.0MM is brilliant IMO.

I will also go on record saying I expect him to break 50 points this year.

BrooklynRangersFan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-27-2014, 03:33 PM
  #115
Fire Sather
4 MORE YEARS!
 
Fire Sather's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: Connecticut
Country: United States
Posts: 22,368
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Fire Sather
Quote:
Originally Posted by JeffMangum View Post
I mean, looking at it like that, it sounds better. That said, I'm worried that it will hinder our ability to keep Zuccarello long term.
I don't understand why the team would pay Brass before Zucc either, but if I put aside the fact that I'm upset about that then this deal itself isn't that bad.

However, as I said, I think this is a deal we could've given Brass after this season.

We won't be able to get Zucc for the 4.5 he wanted long term.

Thats the only thing I'm upset about.

Fire Sather is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-27-2014, 03:34 PM
  #116
silverfish
KEVIN!
 
silverfish's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Standing on a Train
Country: United States
Posts: 18,341
vCash: 500
Looks like Brassard is in the mix as the long-term 2C option. Don't hate it, don't love it. $5m is a big sum of money. Worth it if he continues his playoff performance.

That'll be a hard contract to move if the time comes for that, though.

Very in the middle about this.

silverfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-27-2014, 03:34 PM
  #117
nyr2k2
Can't Beat Him
 
nyr2k2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Washington, DC
Country: United States
Posts: 24,602
vCash: 50
Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by JeffMangum View Post
I don't think whether or not Brassard has a problem with it is relevant, but he kind of did explain why. Hitting the UFA market is definitely enticing to players, especially a center like Brassard who knows he could get a ridiculous payday.
Yeah he'd get a ridiculous pay day because he's a good player. We got that player for five seasons paying him less than he'd potentially be worth a year from now.

nyr2k2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-27-2014, 03:35 PM
  #118
beef 4 lunch
Registered User
 
beef 4 lunch's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 239
vCash: 500
I'm not so happy with Stepan and Brassard being our 1 & 2 centers for the foreseeable future. A little too soft and play more of a passive style. It appears that we will not be strong down the middle for a long time.....

beef 4 lunch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-27-2014, 03:35 PM
  #119
WeWillWinTonight
Registered User
 
WeWillWinTonight's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: NY
Country: United States
Posts: 2,025
vCash: 883
How do we ditch Nash ?

WeWillWinTonight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-27-2014, 03:35 PM
  #120
Fitzy
All Is Well
 
Fitzy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 20,007
vCash: 500
If Brassard puts up 250 points over the next five years then yeah, it's a fine deal.

I guess it's a matter of preference, I don't exactly have supreme confidence in the player to produce career highs. It's possible that more PP time in Richard's absence will see him do it. It's also possible that he could be supremely frustrating as he was in Columbus when asked to play consistently in a top 6 role.

Fitzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-27-2014, 03:35 PM
  #121
SA16
Two by two...
 
SA16's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Long Island
Country: United States
Posts: 2,611
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fire Sather View Post
I don't understand why the team would pay Brass before Zucc either, but if I put aside the fact that I'm upset about that then this deal itself isn't that bad.

However, as I said, I think this is a deal we could've given Brass after this season.

We won't be able to get Zucc for the 4.5 he wanted long term.

Thats the only thing I'm upset about.
If I were to guess it's probably a combination of
A. Zucc on 1 year deal + Brass long term would be cheaper than Brass 1 year deal than Zucc longterm since Brass had a higher arbitration value and Zucc might get more longterm.

B. More confident they could resign Zucc midseason than Brassard and he's shown twice that he would take a discount to be here.

SA16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-27-2014, 03:36 PM
  #122
wolfgaze
Interesting Cat
 
wolfgaze's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: NJ
Country: United States
Posts: 12,359
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Inferno View Post
Not a great deal or a terrible deal....market value...men.
Typo Alert!


wolfgaze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-27-2014, 03:37 PM
  #123
JeffMangum
Man Girardi
 
JeffMangum's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Listening to music
Country: United States
Posts: 59,564
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by WeWillWinTonight View Post
How do we ditch Nash ?
We don't, unless we want to get worse.

JeffMangum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-27-2014, 03:38 PM
  #124
PurpleHayes
Hail the Motherland!
 
PurpleHayes's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: Podolsk, Russia
Country: Russian Federation
Posts: 4,508
vCash: 925
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrooklynRangersFan View Post
People are *****ing about this? Really? I think this is an extremely good deal, given that they bought four UFA years of a legitimate #2 center (based both on his actual point totals and his importance to the Stanley Cup runners up) entering his prime. What did you people think Brassard was going to cost? I was expecting one year at his QO, 2 years at $4.4-4.7 or 3 years at 4.7-5.0. To get 5 years at $5.0MM is brilliant IMO.

I will also go on record saying I expect him to break 50 points this year.
Very good post I agree

PurpleHayes is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-27-2014, 03:39 PM
  #125
Inferno
HFB Partner
 
Inferno's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Atlanta, GA
Country: United States
Posts: 20,934
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfgaze View Post
Typo Alert!

Damn tablet.

Inferno is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:29 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2015, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2015 All Rights Reserved.