HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Brassard re-signed (5 years, $5M per)

Old
07-27-2014, 03:20 PM
RangerBoy
#freejtmiller

vCash: 500
Quote:
New York Rangers President and General Manager Glen Sather announced today that the team has agreed to terms with restricted free agent forward Derick Brassard.
http://blueshirtsunited.com/posts/64...9#.U9Ve6lbxS-I

RangerBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-27-2014, 03:21 PM
Fitzy
All Is Well

Quote:
Originally Posted by nyr2k2 View Post
The market dictates a player's worth. You might not want to give the guy what he's worth, or you might think the market is out of whack, but it is what it is.
The hit itself isn't the biggest problem, it's the term.

They needed Brassard this upcoming season, but there is no reason to suggest that the need would continue to be dire 4 years from now.

Brassard doesn't strike me as the kind of player you give a 5 year deal to. I don't think that he would have had any issue taking a one year deal so he could test the UFA market.

Jim Ramsay

I can't wait till Zucc extends during the season so people will stop worrying so much about it....Staal will be traded at some point this season to free up salary to keep Zuccarello

Jim Ramsay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
JeffMangum
Man Girardi

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fitzy View Post

They needed Brassard this upcoming season, but there is no reason to suggest that the need would continue to be dire 4 years from now.

Brassard doesn't strike me as the kind of player you give a 5 year deal to. I don't think that he would have had any issue taking a one year deal so he could test the UFA market.
This. it's not all about the cap hit (which is also bad), but the fact that we gave him that cap hit long term. For a year or two, I wouldn't have minded it.

07-27-2014, 03:24 PM
RangerBoy
#freejtmiller

Quote:
Interesting last couple of hours, I can confirm that Derick Brassard has agreed to terms on a 5 year contract.
https://twitter.com/walsha/status/493491873390936066

RangerBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-27-2014, 03:27 PM
nyr2k2
Can't Beat Him

Awards:
Quote:

That's fine, I understand not liking the term. I just take issue with the idea that his cap hit is some completely insane figure. It looks pretty reasonable in the current market.

What makes you think he was willing to take a short deal? Has he ever said anything to indicate that?

It's just pain.
nyr2k2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-27-2014, 03:28 PM
NYRCSKA*

I love it.

NYRCSKA* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-27-2014, 03:28 PM
Fire Sather
4 MORE YEARS!

Send a message via AIM to Fire Sather
Quote:
Originally Posted by JeffMangum View Post
This. it's not all about the cap hit (which is also bad), but the fact that we gave him that cap hit long term. For a year or two, I wouldn't have minded it.
Wouldn't you rather get 2 years out of him then trade him rather than lose him for nothing?

If he has 2 seasons with the production hes given us for the last 1 1/2 seasons + playoffs its a contract that can easily be moved should we choose to, and its likely we will if you take a look at our roster 5 years ago.

Gomez was traded. Rozey was traded when he made 5M and 5M was a bigger contract then than it is now and will be in the future.

Fire Sather is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-27-2014, 03:29 PM
JeffMangum
Man Girardi

Quote:
That's fine, I understand not liking the term. I just take issue with the idea that his cap hit is some completely insane figure. It looks pretty reasonable in the current market.

What makes you think he was willing to take a short deal? Has he ever said anything to indicate that?
We could have just took him to arbitration and we would have been able to make him sign a short deal.

JeffMangum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-27-2014, 03:29 PM
Fitzy
All Is Well

Quote:

Generally, if a player is one year away from UFA status in a rising cap market, they are happy to take the one year deal. The other end of the coin would be concern about injury, but usually players are happy to hit UFA as young as possible.

Fitzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-27-2014, 03:30 PM
nyr2k2
Can't Beat Him

Awards:
Quote:
We could have just took him to arbitration and we would have been able to make him sign a short deal.
Thanks for explaining to me things I know.

Fitzy said he didn't think Brassard would have a problem with it. I want to know why he thinks that.

Quote:
Generally, if a player is one year away from UFA status in a rising cap market, they are happy to take the one year deal. The other end of the coin would be concern about injury, but usually players are happy to hit UFA as young as possible.
Didn't he basically sign a UFA deal though? He gave up 4 years of UFA and earned himself a pretty penny.

I mean if this deal it as outrageous as some of you are making it out to be, Brassard's gotta be pretty thrilled, right?

Old
07-27-2014, 03:31 PM
JeffMangum
Man Girardi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fire Sather View Post
Wouldn't you rather get 2 years out of him then trade him rather than lose him for nothing?

If he has 2 seasons with the production hes given us for the last 1 1/2 seasons + playoffs its a contract that can easily be moved should we choose to, and its likely we will if you take a look at our roster 5 years ago.

Gomez was traded. Rozey was traded when he made 5M and 5M was a bigger contract then than it is now and will be in the future.
I mean, looking at it like that, it sounds better. That said, I'm worried that it will hinder our ability to keep Zuccarello long term.

Old
07-27-2014, 03:32 PM
JeffMangum
Man Girardi

Quote:
Thanks for explaining to me things I know.

Fitzy said he didn't think Brassard would have a problem with it. I want to know why he thinks that.
I don't think whether or not Brassard has a problem with it is relevant, but he kind of did explain why. Hitting the UFA market is definitely enticing to players, especially a center like Brassard who knows he could get a ridiculous payday.

Old
07-27-2014, 03:33 PM
BrooklynRangersFan
Change is good.

People are *****ing about this? Really? I think this is an extremely good deal, given that they bought four UFA years of a legitimate #2 center (based both on his actual point totals and his importance to the Stanley Cup runners up) entering his prime. What did you people think Brassard was going to cost? I was expecting one year at his QO, 2 years at $4.4-4.7 or 3 years at 4.7-5.0. To get 5 years at $5.0MM is brilliant IMO.

I will also go on record saying I expect him to break 50 points this year.

BrooklynRangersFan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-27-2014, 03:33 PM
Fire Sather
4 MORE YEARS!

Send a message via AIM to Fire Sather
Quote:
I mean, looking at it like that, it sounds better. That said, I'm worried that it will hinder our ability to keep Zuccarello long term.
I don't understand why the team would pay Brass before Zucc either, but if I put aside the fact that I'm upset about that then this deal itself isn't that bad.

However, as I said, I think this is a deal we could've given Brass after this season.

We won't be able to get Zucc for the 4.5 he wanted long term.

Thats the only thing I'm upset about.

Fire Sather is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-27-2014, 03:34 PM
silverfish
KEVIN!

Looks like Brassard is in the mix as the long-term 2C option. Don't hate it, don't love it. $5m is a big sum of money. Worth it if he continues his playoff performance.

That'll be a hard contract to move if the time comes for that, though.

Very in the middle about this.

silverfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-27-2014, 03:34 PM
nyr2k2
Can't Beat Him

Awards:
Quote:
I don't think whether or not Brassard has a problem with it is relevant, but he kind of did explain why. Hitting the UFA market is definitely enticing to players, especially a center like Brassard who knows he could get a ridiculous payday.
Yeah he'd get a ridiculous pay day because he's a good player. We got that player for five seasons paying him less than he'd potentially be worth a year from now.

Old
07-27-2014, 03:35 PM
beef 4 lunch

I'm not so happy with Stepan and Brassard being our 1 & 2 centers for the foreseeable future. A little too soft and play more of a passive style. It appears that we will not be strong down the middle for a long time.....

beef 4 lunch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
WeWillWinTonight

vCash: 883
How do we ditch Nash ?

WeWillWinTonight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Fitzy
All Is Well

If Brassard puts up 250 points over the next five years then yeah, it's a fine deal.

I guess it's a matter of preference, I don't exactly have supreme confidence in the player to produce career highs. It's possible that more PP time in Richard's absence will see him do it. It's also possible that he could be supremely frustrating as he was in Columbus when asked to play consistently in a top 6 role.

Fitzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
SA16
Two by two...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fire Sather View Post
I don't understand why the team would pay Brass before Zucc either, but if I put aside the fact that I'm upset about that then this deal itself isn't that bad.

However, as I said, I think this is a deal we could've given Brass after this season.

We won't be able to get Zucc for the 4.5 he wanted long term.

Thats the only thing I'm upset about.
If I were to guess it's probably a combination of
A. Zucc on 1 year deal + Brass long term would be cheaper than Brass 1 year deal than Zucc longterm since Brass had a higher arbitration value and Zucc might get more longterm.

B. More confident they could resign Zucc midseason than Brassard and he's shown twice that he would take a discount to be here.

SA16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-27-2014, 03:36 PM
wolfgaze
Interesting Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inferno View Post
Not a great deal or a terrible deal....market value...men.
Typo Alert!

wolfgaze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-27-2014, 03:37 PM
JeffMangum
Man Girardi

Quote:
Originally Posted by WeWillWinTonight View Post
How do we ditch Nash ?
We don't, unless we want to get worse.

Old
07-27-2014, 03:38 PM
PurpleHayes
Hail the Motherland!

vCash: 925
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrooklynRangersFan View Post
People are *****ing about this? Really? I think this is an extremely good deal, given that they bought four UFA years of a legitimate #2 center (based both on his actual point totals and his importance to the Stanley Cup runners up) entering his prime. What did you people think Brassard was going to cost? I was expecting one year at his QO, 2 years at $4.4-4.7 or 3 years at 4.7-5.0. To get 5 years at $5.0MM is brilliant IMO.

I will also go on record saying I expect him to break 50 points this year.
Very good post I agree

PurpleHayes is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-27-2014, 03:39 PM
Inferno
HFB Partner

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfgaze View Post
Typo Alert!

Damn tablet.

Inferno is offline   Reply With Quote