HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > San Jose Sharks
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Kurz: Sharks talking extension with Braun

Closed Thread

Old
07-29-2014, 02:03 AM
WantonAbandon

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by hohosaregood View Post
There aren't many. If I really had to pick younger guys who can eat extremely tough minutes and come out ahead while not putting up a lot of offense then it'd have to be Hjalmarsson and Vlasic. In the general range, Gorges too. They're all floating around $4-4.25m
I don't think he is even close to Vlasic and he isn't comparable to Hammer either. Both were were signed at different times

Old
07-29-2014, 02:30 AM
hohosaregood
Drunken Snacking

vCash: 1250
Quote:
Originally Posted by WantonAbandon View Post
I don't think he is even close to Vlasic and he isn't comparable to Hammer either. Both were were signed at different times
I don't think it's out of the question though. Hjalmarsson got $3.5 a few years ago when the cap was at $59m even though he only had one full season. When Vlasic signed his contract, his passing was nowhere near as good as it was currently and Hjalmarsson's outlets still suck. Then if you go back to earlier this season when Boyle was out of the lineup, Braun was consistently getting the top TOI on the team and faced the toughest QoC out of all the defense.

Old
07-29-2014, 03:40 AM
SJeasy

Quote:
Originally Posted by hohosaregood View Post
There aren't many. If I really had to pick younger guys who can eat extremely tough minutes and come out ahead while not putting up a lot of offense then it'd have to be Hjalmarsson and Vlasic. In the general range, Gorges too. They're all floating around $4-4.25m
Those guys were RFAs. Braun will be UFA during the next contract.

UFAs, you can add Mitchell and Girardi. Girardi has a tad more offense. Hamhuis is another with a bit more offense. Going back, you can add Hannan on his first Avs contract and Foote with the Jackets. Orpik is another who has less offense than Braun. Scuderi on his first Kings contract, less offense than Braun.

Old
07-29-2014, 10:17 AM
do0glas

I'm expecting 4 years. Somewhere between 3.75-4.3 aav

Old
07-29-2014, 11:39 AM
Pinkfloyd

Quote:
Originally Posted by SJeasy View Post
The maximum for defensive stoppers with no offense is $4.5mil in UFA. If he signs, it will be a UFA contract. He doesn't quite get the minutes of those who got $4.5mil but he is very close. Anyone saying less than $4mil/year is not in touch with the market.
He can slide just south of 4 million with the right movement clause.

Old
07-29-2014, 04:44 PM
Kcoyote3

I may be wrong or "out of touch" with the market but I honestly suspect Braun gets a 3 X 3.5 deal. Whenever I hear extension I know that we always get them for pretty cheap. Much cheaper than market price. But maybe I'm wrong.

Old
07-29-2014, 07:23 PM
rangerssharks414

vCash: 1130
I hope it's longer than the Demers contract.

Old
07-29-2014, 07:30 PM
bigwillie

Send a message via AIM to bigwillie
Gardiner just got 4 per for 5 years. Would you guys be happy with that for Braun? I would.

Old
07-29-2014, 07:46 PM
rangerssharks414

vCash: 1130
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigwillie View Post
Gardiner just got 4 per for 5 years. Would you guys be happy with that for Braun? I would.
Definitely.

Old
07-29-2014, 09:46 PM
magic school bus

vCash: 141
Quote:

UFAs, you can add Mitchell and Girardi. Girardi has a tad more offense. Hamhuis is another with a bit more offense. Going back, you can add Hannan on his first Avs contract and Foote with the Jackets. Orpik is another who has less offense than Braun. Scuderi on his first Kings contract, less offense than Braun.
Except nobody knows who Braun is

Old
07-29-2014, 10:10 PM
Pinkfloyd

Quote:
Not really a comparable but if Braun got 5 years at this stage, he'd be getting more than 4 million per.

Quote:
Originally Posted by magic school bus View Post
There are enough people who scout competently to know who Braun is to know his worth and pay it in the free agent market. There are a lot of idiots but enough intelligent ones.

Old
07-29-2014, 10:18 PM
SJeasy

Quote:
Fans. Agents know plenty and Braun is represented. Even if unknown, his agent would get the word out. And, they go by stats, not how popular a guy is unless the guy is a marquis name (Subban, et al) where they can squeeze even a bit more. Even with names, it isn't that much. Look at Malkin and Crosby. Crosby has the name but Malkin is near equal in performance. It shows in the paychecks.

Old
07-29-2014, 10:28 PM
SactoShark

vCash: 3000
Quote:
Fans. Agents know plenty and Braun is represented. Even if unknown, his agent would get the word out. And, they go by stats, not how popular a guy is unless the guy is a marquis name (Subban, et al) where they can squeeze even a bit more. Even with names, it isn't that much. Look at Malkin and Crosby. Crosby has the name but Malkin is near equal in performance. It shows in the paychecks.
Definitely the first and last time Braun is used in a Crosby / Malkin comparison.

I kinda wonder how advanced analytics factor into all this. That's where Braun should shine, but you'd swear that was still uncharted (pun fully intended) waters for most coaches, including the Sharks’.

Old
07-29-2014, 10:33 PM
magic school bus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pinkfloyd View Post
Not really a comparable but if Braun got 5 years at this stage, he'd be getting more than 4 million per.

There are enough people who scout competently to know who Braun is to know his worth and pay it in the free agent market. There are a lot of idiots but enough intelligent ones.
Ehhhh. if a respected gm can get by without knowing Patrick Marleau, I think Braun can slip under the radar

Quote:
I think they do. I don't think guys like Orpik get anywhere near as much $$$ if they weren't "star" players getting lots of exposure.

Last edited by magic school bus: 07-29-2014 at 10:43 PM. Reason: bolded
Old
07-29-2014, 10:34 PM
Pinkfloyd

Quote:
Ehhhh. if a respected gm can get by without knowing Patrick Marleau, I think Braun can slip under the radar
You're talking about one guy missing one guy. It doesn't take very many to notice to drive up the price.

Old
07-29-2014, 10:36 PM
Gene Parmesan
B.Y.O.G.

Analytics are most likely not uncharted for San Jose's staff. Bobby Mac recently tweeted most teams have moved beyond Corsi, Fenwick and the like because they are looking for even better ways to evaluate. I kind of trust him when he says that.

Old
07-29-2014, 10:38 PM
sr228

Quote:
Originally Posted by SactoShork View Post
Definitely the first and last time Braun is used in a Crosby / Malkin comparison.

I kinda wonder how advanced analytics factor into all this. That's where Braun should shine, but you'd swear that was still uncharted (pun fully intended) waters for most coaches, including the Sharks’.
McLellan understands analytics but it's not the coach that matters in contract negotiations.

DW is also well aware of analytics but I don't think it's made it's way into that part of the business, yet.

Braun has a very good agent, he'll get a good deal.

Old
07-29-2014, 10:45 PM
magic school bus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pinkfloyd View Post
You're talking about one guy missing one guy. It doesn't take very many to notice to drive up the price.
Fair enough. He'd have to reach UFA to find that out though

Old
07-29-2014, 11:15 PM
SJeasy

Quote:
Originally Posted by SactoShork View Post

It isn't that advanced. 21min TOI on a team that finishes with 111 points, gets $4mil easily. He's already UFA age so RFA's aren't even in the comps picture. Duration of the performance level isn't a question either as agents/GMs all think that their guy is the next one. Look what Garrison got after one year of very good performance for the Cats; he was UFA.

The only thing that I see DW doing is trying to do the JT/Marleau thing with Vlasic/Braun. Make sure that Braun is a shade short of Vlasic's paygrade. Maintain the team hierarchy. See what Vlasic's pay is for the season after next and subtract a 100k if you think the hierarchy matters.

If DW lowballs Braun, Braun will walk for the money. Braun's agent, Sheehy, is not stupid. I could easily see Minny ready to pounce if Braun hits UFA. They have a screaming need for his skills.

Old
07-29-2014, 11:27 PM
5H4RK5

Quote:
Make it 6 years and it's a deal.

Old
07-29-2014, 11:44 PM
Gilligans Island

Since the market's gone up a bit since last guesses, I'll say 4 x $4 or $4.2M

Old
07-30-2014, 01:20 AM
WantonAbandon

Quote:

Giardi and Mitchell are not comparable Giardi had been in the league for six years before he signed his current contract and Mitchell had been in the league for eight... Braun has only had one good season.

Old
07-30-2014, 01:57 AM
SactoShark

vCash: 3000
Quote:
It isn't that advanced. 21min TOI on a team that finishes with 111 points, gets $4mil easily. He's already UFA age so RFA's aren't even in the comps picture. Duration of the performance level isn't a question either as agents/GMs all think that their guy is the next one. Look what Garrison got after one year of very good performance for the Cats; he was UFA.

The only thing that I see DW doing is trying to do the JT/Marleau thing with Vlasic/Braun. Make sure that Braun is a shade short of Vlasic's paygrade. Maintain the team hierarchy. See what Vlasic's pay is for the season after next and subtract a 100k if you think the hierarchy matters.

If DW lowballs Braun, Braun will walk for the money. Braun's agent, Sheehy, is not stupid. I could easily see Minny ready to pounce if Braun hits UFA. They have a screaming need for his skills.
Garrison put up a bunch of goals that year, but yeah, I agree that if Braun hits UFA then anyone with the need and the space would throw some big numbers at Braun. That won't be a problem if the Sharks try and trim the fat – or at least stop accumulating it.

Old
07-30-2014, 03:17 PM
FeedingFrenzy

I could see JB getting a Roman Josi type deal and be ok with that.

Old
07-30-2014, 09:56 PM
SJeasy

Quote:
Originally Posted by WantonAbandon View Post
Giardi and Mitchell are not comparable Giardi had been in the league for six years before he signed his current contract and Mitchell had been in the league for eight... Braun has only had one good season.
Once a player hits UFA, time in the league does not matter. That point was made with Garrison.

Despite all the claims around here, it isn't just one good season. His improvement is practically linear (which is good).

With all the grief on this issue, I will rub it in when the numbers come out (or not and admit my mistake). My track record has been pretty good. The GMs do use comps and the consistency of the corollaries around comps is pretty good. Most of the violations of principals come in desperate situations or high end players generating a bidding war.

Closed Thread