HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Trade Rumours and Proposals Thread

Closed Thread

Old
08-04-2014, 07:32 PM
McPuritania
5-14-6-1

vCash: 105
Quote:
Originally Posted by ohheyhemsky View Post
Why would you if you didn't have to? I'd first and foremost want to play for my home team, but that's rarely an option. If I were an NHL player, I'd be looking towards competitive teams (none of which are in Canada outside of Montreal) and a low state tax.

Why play in a pressured area, in which the team is in a hole that they can't dig themselves out of? Aka, 85% of Canadian teams.
Honestly, if I were a fourth line grinder It would make a big difference, but If I was un upper echelon player, I'd want that pressure, I'd want to be playing where it matters most. That's just me though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by oilz89 View Post
Just think man. How many of the Canadian teams are playoff teams? Maybe 1 or 2? Would you not want to play for a team that is competitive and is a yearly playoff team? We are so lucky that guys like Pouliot, Fayne, etc are signing with us
I was going to mention that, but I forgot to and can't edit my posts, so I didn't bother writing another. Canadian teams have been awful, and I think that makes a big difference, but you do see a lot of players signing with mediocre or poor teams south of the border. I'm not foolish enough to believe it doesn't have an impact though.

Old
08-04-2014, 07:34 PM
Ovechking

vCash: 732
Quote:
Just think man. How many of the Canadian teams are playoff teams? Maybe 1 or 2? Would you not want to play for a team that is competitive and is a yearly playoff team? We are so lucky that guys like Pouliot, Fayne, etc are signing with us
This.

The reason players don't sign in Canadian markets is because not too many of them are competitive. The Habs just went to the East finals and lo' and behold signed the best defenseman in the East to a long term contract.

Once the Oilers, Jets, Flames, etc. become competitive, they will be able to attract big name players better.

Old
08-04-2014, 07:37 PM
McPuritania
5-14-6-1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ovechking View Post
This.

The reason players don't sign in Canadian markets is because not too many of them are competitive. The Habs just went to the East finals and lo' and behold signed the best defenseman in the East to a long term contract.

Once the Oilers, Jets, Flames, etc. become competitive, they will be able to attract big name players better.
To be fair, P.K. was a home grown talent, he wasn't a ufa, that makes a difference imo.

Old
08-04-2014, 07:45 PM
oilinblood

vCash: 553
Quote:
Originally Posted by ohheyhemsky View Post
We're lucky that Fayne signed here at blue book value. We had to pay out of our ass for the talents of Poop.
One of schultz or petry is not in our future and MacT probably pitched that. Fayne has a big opportunity here in the next couple of years. Its also a position of severe weakness in org depth for the future. The advantage is really his.

He and his agent are smart and they got a nice bit of insurance with term. He was on my list of believable signings i hoped for.

Old
08-04-2014, 07:49 PM
oilinblood

Quote:
Originally Posted by Puritania View Post
Honestly, if I were a fourth line grinder It would make a big difference, but If I was un upper echelon player, I'd want that pressure, I'd want to be playing where it matters most. That's just me though.

I was going to mention that, but I forgot to and can't edit my posts, so I didn't bother writing another. Canadian teams have been awful, and I think that makes a big difference, but you do see a lot of players signing with mediocre or poor teams south of the border. I'm not foolish enough to believe it doesn't have an impact though.
Most of it is internal. I think most opinions of avergae joes would not matter one bit to players. What matters is the pressure in the room. Most players want to be pushed by those around them. It shows a faith from others that there is more untapped ability.

Doug Weight talked about this and how Sather pushed him every year and that was lacking when he went to StLouis and became a number 2 under Demitra.

I dont think fans push anyone. Its the guys the players see every day and respect that makes them push harder.

Old
08-04-2014, 08:00 PM
McPuritania
5-14-6-1

Quote:
Originally Posted by oilinblood View Post
Most of it is internal. I think most opinions of avergae joes would not matter one bit to players. What matters is the pressure in the room. Most players want to be pushed by those around them. It shows a faith from others that there is more untapped ability.

Doug Weight talked about this and how Sather pushed him every year and that was lacking when he went to StLouis and became a number 2 under Demitra.

I dont think fans push anyone. Its the guys the players see every day and respect that makes them push harder.
Fan pressure is a very real thing. I think our own players are feeling it quite keenly.

Old
08-04-2014, 08:15 PM
oilz89

vCash: 500
Quote:

Those players that sign with weak teams in the south like Florida just care about the money nothing else aka Bolland

Old
08-04-2014, 08:17 PM
oilz89

Quote:
To be fair, P.K. was a home grown talent, he wasn't a ufa, that makes a difference imo.
Yes and its not like he took a discount. The guys making over 8 million. I fully believe he doesn't deserve that much. He was a minus during the season, but he had an amazing playoff

Old
08-04-2014, 08:38 PM
MrBigglesworth

Quote:
Lol.
Omg. Hahahahaha.
Lol.
While I don't necessarily disagree with your general point here, comments like the above make it tough to take you seriously.

Old
08-04-2014, 08:39 PM
oilinblood

Quote:
Yes and its not like he took a discount. The guys making over 8 million. I fully believe he doesn't deserve that much. He was a minus during the season, but he had an amazing playoff
Over 3/4 the way to 9 figures whether he gets injured tomorrow or not? Doesnt matter one bit where he signs that contract only one team could give him that certainty. Doesnt need to play another game to get it.

Old
08-04-2014, 10:16 PM
dobiezeke*

Quote:
Fan pressure is a very real thing. I think our own players are feeling it quite keenly.
Pressure is the fear of not impressing the organization that pays your salary. Annoyance is the heckling players hear as they walk on the ice. Annoyance doesn't pay the player's salary nor have an impact on their livelihood - and don't say that "we" pay the players through ticket sales. The "pressure" pays the way. That is who the players listen to.

Old
08-04-2014, 11:08 PM
McPuritania
5-14-6-1

Quote:
Originally Posted by vegas4ever View Post
Pressure is the fear of not impressing the organization that pays your salary. Annoyance is the heckling players hear as they walk on the ice. Annoyance doesn't pay the player's salary nor have an impact on their livelihood - and don't say that "we" pay the players through ticket sales. The "pressure" pays the way. That is who the players listen to.
The tone of this post just annoys me. I wasn't going to say we pay through ticket sales, but I will say whatever I damn well feel like regardless. Anyways, if you think the players are simply annoyed by the fans, I think you are just flat out wrong. You'd have to be deaf, dumb, and blind not to feel the fan frustration. You wouldn't feel pressure to perform when your fans are tossing jerseys on the ice? Okay.

Old
08-04-2014, 11:28 PM
Oiltankjob Fail

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by vegas4ever View Post
This post is plain wrong and speculative.

Old
08-05-2014, 03:37 AM
oilinblood

Quote:
The tone of this post just annoys me. I wasn't going to say we pay through ticket sales, but I will say whatever I damn well feel like regardless. Anyways, if you think the players are simply annoyed by the fans, I think you are just flat out wrong. You'd have to be deaf, dumb, and blind not to feel the fan frustration. You wouldn't feel pressure to perform when your fans are tossing jerseys on the ice? Okay.
These guys make the average persons yearly salary...in one night. I dont think they really worry what you think.
Players will be frustrated for their own reasons but this isnt a hockey player that feels any job security and they certainly know the average fans opinion is not worhth hearing.

What is important is their teammates and the guys signing their checks.

Old
08-05-2014, 10:46 AM
McPuritania
5-14-6-1

Quote:
These guys make the average persons yearly salary...in one night. I dont think they really worry what you think.
Players will be frustrated for their own reasons but this isnt a hockey player that feels any job security and they certainly know the average fans opinion is not worhth hearing.

What is important is their teammates and the guys signing their checks.
If you seriously think players don't give a flying **** about fan sentiment, I really don't know what to say.

Old
08-05-2014, 03:24 PM
McPuritania
5-14-6-1

And I haven't even mentioned the crazy media scrutiny either. But I'm sure the players light cigar's with their stacks and don't care about that either.

Old
08-05-2014, 04:48 PM
oilinblood

Quote:
And I haven't even mentioned the crazy media scrutiny either. But I'm sure the players light cigar's with their stacks and don't care about that either.
Oh im sure its an annoyance...having to deal with media who think they know the game and fans who think they know the game. But thats all it is...annoying...like a fly. If any of them knew the game they would have a position of respect...they dont. They are all just hacks who watch and can never be.
If stuff starts drifting into your personal life than you request a trade out and talk to your agent if it takes too long. I dont think they really care what the commoners think.

Old
08-05-2014, 05:50 PM
McPuritania
5-14-6-1

Quote:
Oh im sure its an annoyance...having to deal with media who think they know the game and fans who think they know the game. But thats all it is...annoying...like a fly. If any of them knew the game they would have a position of respect...they dont. They are all just hacks who watch and can never be.
If stuff starts drifting into your personal life than you request a trade out and talk to your agent if it takes too long. I dont think they really care what the commoners think.
Alrighty then.

Old
08-05-2014, 06:17 PM
40oz

So Del Zotto to Philly for 1 year.

Dreger said there were a number of teams interested, perhaps this opens a door for a trade with a team looking to acquire a young defender.

edit: Source
Tim Panaccio ‏@tpanotchCSN 9m
Sources say Flyers have signed Del Zotto to one year deal

Old
08-05-2014, 06:39 PM
oilz89

Quote:
Originally Posted by 40oz View Post

Dreger said there were a number of teams interested, perhaps this opens a door for a trade with a team looking to acquire a young defender.

WOW... thats actually a deal that Eklund got right

Old
08-05-2014, 06:43 PM
Senor Catface

vCash: 1937
Quote:
WOW... thats actually a deal that Eklund got right
I think it's been confirmed that Philly is basically the one team where Eklund has an actual source.

Old
08-05-2014, 06:44 PM
oilz89

Quote:
Originally Posted by Senor Catface View Post
I think it's been confirmed that Philly is basically the one team where Eklund has an actual source.
didn't know that

Old
08-05-2014, 11:06 PM
OilDrop37

vCash: 10185
Quote:
Originally Posted by 40oz View Post

Backup plan in case Timonen is finished I'm guessing.

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=458766

Old
08-05-2014, 11:25 PM
Philly85
Raps'

some back up plan

MDZ is garr-bahge

Old
08-05-2014, 11:48 PM
oXo Cube
Termite

Send a message via Skype™ to oXo Cube
Eklund gets the occasional FA signing right.

I would buy that he might know an NHL agent or two.

Closed Thread