HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Trade Rumours and Proposals Thread

Closed Thread

Old
08-12-2014, 10:49 AM
Jimmi Jenkins
Sometimes Miracles

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by worraps View Post
Who blew more first round picks than the Oilers did between 1995-2008?
Tampa, go check.

Old
08-12-2014, 11:00 AM
bestmyfeeling

whats the deal on the j.schultz contract status? anybody know?

Old
08-12-2014, 11:04 AM
ManofSteel55

Quote:
Originally Posted by bestmyfeeling View Post
whats the deal on the j.schultz contract status? anybody know?
Not sure, but Leon signed today!

Old
08-12-2014, 12:40 PM
Mowzie
Asst. Dishwasher

Quote:
Originally Posted by belair View Post
The Oilers didn't pay Benoit Pouliot $20 million to play soft minutes.
True. They pay him 20 million because they are a desperate team in one of the least desirable markets in North America.

Old
08-12-2014, 01:01 PM
Soundwave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mowzie View Post
True. They pay him 20 million because they are a desperate team in one of the least desirable markets in North America.
Who is the last top-to-mid tier UFA to sign in Canada at a notable discount? Can't think of many period.

Like I've always said the UFA market is what it is ... it's buying candy/popcorn/soda at the movie theater and then complaining about the price ... you know what you are going to be paying a premium beforehand.

Old
08-12-2014, 02:29 PM
oilinblood

vCash: 553
Quote:
Originally Posted by Soundwave View Post
Who is the last top-to-mid tier UFA to sign in Canada at a notable discount? Can't think of many period.

Like I've always said the UFA market is what it is ... it's buying candy/popcorn/soda at the movie theater and then complaining about the price ... you know what you are going to be paying a premium beforehand.
Well said. Its one of the most annoying things about HF, the ignorance of not knowing Edmonton needs to overpay for people to even listen to offers. Most players would rather take less and pay more tax, pay higher cost of living, and lose endorsements to stay away from here. They will thank the Oilers for helping perhaps increase their contract bids ten percent but have no real desire to play here. Successful team on the ice or not, doesnt matter. Its not at all surprising either.

But people can keep believing players want to sign here at discounts for "the fans". Lol. Suckers.

It gets extremely irritating because the "fans" on HFoil talk about cap hit of players so much without realizing they are considered a slum by NHL players. Personally i think there is two months a year where the city is livable for a young man with money (pretty easy to get nicer peak two months elsewhere)...and for a social elite woman there is no time that Edmonton makes sense so unless shes decided to turn shutin house wife Edmonton isnt attractive.

Old
08-12-2014, 02:35 PM
Mowzie
Asst. Dishwasher

Quote:

This doesn't make my comment wrong. I know we need to overpay to sign UFA's, that's what I posted, and it's a fact of life. We're paying him 20 million because we have too.

Old
08-12-2014, 05:44 PM
belair

Quote:
This doesn't make my comment wrong. I know we need to overpay to sign UFA's, that's what I posted, and it's a fact of life. We're paying him 20 million because we have too.
While I'm not going to argue whether or not we paid a premium for him, it's pretty apparent that the management is confident that he isn't a player that's going to need to be sheltered. He's proven in the past that he's capable of helping his linemates perform better when he's on the ice.

That doesn't scream a soft minute player to me.

Old
08-12-2014, 05:45 PM
Asuno

http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/sh....php?t=1721613

Gotta love that poll though. Made some great off season moves, and I'm sure MacT's not done yet, yet we're not going to be competitive!!

Old
08-12-2014, 08:58 PM
tiger_80

Quote:

Most young free agents in that tier get grossly overpaid-- look no further than David Bolland's ugly contract. The only time you can sign a good player for an adequate price (still no discount) is when you are a perennial contender like Pittsburgh or Boston. PLayers who sign at discount rate in free agency are either over the hill (Richards) or are redemption projects (Del Zotto).
The reality is Pouliot would probably get close to the same contract from just about anybody in the league. Maybe not 4M for 5 years, but I'd be surprised if he got anything less than 3.5M for 4.

Old
08-12-2014, 09:17 PM
AJGass4

Is there any hockey player out there that takes a home town discount anymore?

Seriously, who cares as long as we ice a competitive team. I like our new additions and think MacT has done a swell job.

Old
08-12-2014, 09:38 PM
Tyrolean

Quote:
Originally Posted by oilinblood View Post
Well said. Its one of the most annoying things about HF, the ignorance of not knowing Edmonton needs to overpay for people to even listen to offers. Most players would rather take less and pay more tax, pay higher cost of living, and lose endorsements to stay away from here. They will thank the Oilers for helping perhaps increase their contract bids ten percent but have no real desire to play here. Successful team on the ice or not, doesnt matter. Its not at all surprising either.

But people can keep believing players want to sign here at discounts for "the fans". Lol. Suckers.

It gets extremely irritating because the "fans" on HFoil talk about cap hit of players so much without realizing they are considered a slum by NHL players. Personally i think there is two months a year where the city is livable for a young man with money (pretty easy to get nicer peak two months elsewhere)...and for a social elite woman there is no time that Edmonton makes sense so unless shes decided to turn shutin house wife Edmonton isnt attractive.
Then the team should move but be more competitive/

Old
08-12-2014, 10:51 PM
shogun99

In 3 years the average 3rd liner will be making 4mil+ it's going to be scary to see what Hall will be making when his contract expires.

Old
08-12-2014, 11:47 PM
Section337

Quote:
Originally Posted by AJGass4 View Post
Is there any hockey player out there that takes a home town discount anymore?
The only reason to take a home town discount is on a Lidstrom/Selanne let's see if I want to keep playing 1 year deal.

Old
08-13-2014, 01:08 AM
Mr Positive
Four-NinetySeven-Ten

vCash: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by hallsyoilerforever View Post

Gotta love that poll though. Made some great off season moves, and I'm sure MacT's not done yet, yet we're not going to be competitive!!
I don't blame outsiders for arguing the status quo. I do think it is a misinformed opinion simply because there are other reasons that we will be a lot better besides our summer free agency moves.

There are improvements in coaching, RNH is getting a real summer training going, and we have two capable goalies for a full season now. I'm not saying playoffs are expected now, but imo being 'competitive' just means that the team at lealst has traction against the best in the conference and I believe we will have that.

Old
08-13-2014, 01:12 AM
Asuno

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Positive View Post
I don't blame outsiders for arguing the status quo. I do think it is a misinformed opinion simply because there are other reasons that we will be a lot better besides our summer free agency moves.

There are improvements in coaching, RNH is getting a real summer training going, and we have two capable goalies for a full season now. I'm not saying playoffs are expected now, but imo being 'competitive' just means that the team at lealst has traction against the best in the conference and I believe we will have that.
Oh no, the topic asked would the oilers be competitive. And clearly I think they will. Playoffs? Doubt it.

Old
08-13-2014, 02:04 AM
Tarus
#Craigsnotonit

Quote:

They seem to have a pretty good grasp on the problems afflicting the Oilers, including a few mentions of the catalyst of those problems(Lowe/Mact).

The Oilers haven't been competitive in quite some time, close to half a decade if not more. Not sure why the additions of a different set of lower tier yet still overpaid support players is automatically going to change their fortune when long standing issues still plague the team(defense, center, reliable proven goaltending, coaching, too many developing players in critical roles, etc).

Old
08-13-2014, 07:53 AM
Paralyzer
The Oilers Awaken

Quote:
I dont know where you got that he was overpaid because it was well known that he was offered 4.5-5m from 2 other teams but he chose us because we were the only ones offering him 5 years. Everyone was offering 3-4. He even said that it was the term, not the money that swayed him.

Edit - Now if we are talking overpaid this free agency, Nikitin is a player I think about.

Last edited by Paralyzer: 08-13-2014 at 08:02 AM.
Old
08-13-2014, 08:43 AM
Mr Positive
Four-NinetySeven-Ten

vCash: 0
Quote:
Oh no, the topic asked would the oilers be competitive. And clearly I think they will. Playoffs? Doubt it.
I was referring to the pollers

Old
08-13-2014, 02:37 PM
Asuno

Neil Hodge ‏@ttneilhodge

@monctonwildcats 2 Wildcats going to NHL camps -- Ivan Barbashev (2nd round pick St. Louis) and Vladimir Tkachev (free agent Edmonton).

Old
08-13-2014, 02:46 PM
dustrock
Too Legit To Quit

Tkachev? That's cool.

Old
08-13-2014, 02:46 PM
tv14

Quote:
Neil Hodge ‏@ttneilhodge

@monctonwildcats 2 Wildcats going to NHL camps -- Ivan Barbashev (2nd round pick St. Louis) and Vladimir Tkachev (free agent Edmonton).
http://www.hockeydb.com/ihdb/stats/p...php?pid=163405

Aside from being small, he seems to have really good numbers. Any one know if the amount of games played was due to an injury??

Old
08-13-2014, 03:09 PM
nexttothemoon
light.end.tunnel

vCash: 50
I had Tkachev in my top 20 picks for the 2014 draft... just based on talent level alone.

Obviously he's tiny and that's what holds him back from ever realistically sticking at the NHL level... but certainly worth giving him a look and a shot in camp.

Old
08-13-2014, 03:11 PM
nexttothemoon
light.end.tunnel

vCash: 50
Penner and Setoguchi still out there as UFA's. Both would be solid additions... I'll keep banging that drum so when the Oilers go down with a string of injuries I can say... told ya so.

Old
08-13-2014, 03:19 PM
tv14

Quote:
Originally Posted by nexttothemoon View Post
Penner and Setoguchi still out there as UFA's. Both would be solid additions... I'll keep banging that drum so when the Oilers go down with a string of injuries I can say... told ya so.
I think Setoguchi would be a decent pick up, Penner not so sure. We all know that ship has sailed with the Oilers (specifically MacT) and wasn't he being given 4th line minutes and/or healthy scratched in Washington at the end of the year?

Setoguchi is young enough that he might have something left and might be able to regain form.

Closed Thread