HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Trade Rumours and Proposals Thread

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old
08-12-2014, 10:49 AM
  #601
Jimmi Jenkins
Sometimes Miracles
 
Jimmi Jenkins's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Alberta
Country: Canada
Posts: 40,014
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by worraps View Post
Who blew more first round picks than the Oilers did between 1995-2008?
Tampa, go check.

Jimmi Jenkins is offline  
Old
08-12-2014, 11:00 AM
  #602
bestmyfeeling
Registered User
 
bestmyfeeling's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,024
vCash: 500
whats the deal on the j.schultz contract status? anybody know?

bestmyfeeling is offline  
Old
08-12-2014, 11:04 AM
  #603
ManofSteel55
Registered User
 
ManofSteel55's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Posts: 8,597
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by bestmyfeeling View Post
whats the deal on the j.schultz contract status? anybody know?
Not sure, but Leon signed today!

ManofSteel55 is online now  
Old
08-12-2014, 12:40 PM
  #604
Mowzie
Asst. Dishwasher
 
Mowzie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: Lebanon, Alberta
Country: Lebanon
Posts: 8,388
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by belair View Post
The Oilers didn't pay Benoit Pouliot $20 million to play soft minutes.
True. They pay him 20 million because they are a desperate team in one of the least desirable markets in North America.

Mowzie is offline  
Old
08-12-2014, 01:01 PM
  #605
Soundwave
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 28,101
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mowzie View Post
True. They pay him 20 million because they are a desperate team in one of the least desirable markets in North America.
Who is the last top-to-mid tier UFA to sign in Canada at a notable discount? Can't think of many period.

Like I've always said the UFA market is what it is ... it's buying candy/popcorn/soda at the movie theater and then complaining about the price ... you know what you are going to be paying a premium beforehand.

Soundwave is offline  
Old
08-12-2014, 02:29 PM
  #606
oilinblood
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Posts: 2,825
vCash: 553
Quote:
Originally Posted by Soundwave View Post
Who is the last top-to-mid tier UFA to sign in Canada at a notable discount? Can't think of many period.

Like I've always said the UFA market is what it is ... it's buying candy/popcorn/soda at the movie theater and then complaining about the price ... you know what you are going to be paying a premium beforehand.
Well said. Its one of the most annoying things about HF, the ignorance of not knowing Edmonton needs to overpay for people to even listen to offers. Most players would rather take less and pay more tax, pay higher cost of living, and lose endorsements to stay away from here. They will thank the Oilers for helping perhaps increase their contract bids ten percent but have no real desire to play here. Successful team on the ice or not, doesnt matter. Its not at all surprising either.

But people can keep believing players want to sign here at discounts for "the fans". Lol. Suckers.

It gets extremely irritating because the "fans" on HFoil talk about cap hit of players so much without realizing they are considered a slum by NHL players. Personally i think there is two months a year where the city is livable for a young man with money (pretty easy to get nicer peak two months elsewhere)...and for a social elite woman there is no time that Edmonton makes sense so unless shes decided to turn shutin house wife Edmonton isnt attractive.

oilinblood is offline  
Old
08-12-2014, 02:35 PM
  #607
Mowzie
Asst. Dishwasher
 
Mowzie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: Lebanon, Alberta
Country: Lebanon
Posts: 8,388
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Soundwave View Post
Who is the last top-to-mid tier UFA to sign in Canada at a notable discount? Can't think of many period.

Like I've always said the UFA market is what it is ... it's buying candy/popcorn/soda at the movie theater and then complaining about the price ... you know what you are going to be paying a premium beforehand.
This doesn't make my comment wrong. I know we need to overpay to sign UFA's, that's what I posted, and it's a fact of life. We're paying him 20 million because we have too.

Mowzie is offline  
Old
08-12-2014, 05:44 PM
  #608
belair
Registered User
 
belair's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Canada
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,645
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mowzie View Post
This doesn't make my comment wrong. I know we need to overpay to sign UFA's, that's what I posted, and it's a fact of life. We're paying him 20 million because we have too.
While I'm not going to argue whether or not we paid a premium for him, it's pretty apparent that the management is confident that he isn't a player that's going to need to be sheltered. He's proven in the past that he's capable of helping his linemates perform better when he's on the ice.

That doesn't scream a soft minute player to me.

belair is offline  
Old
08-12-2014, 05:45 PM
  #609
Asuno
Registered User
 
Asuno's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: Edmonton
Country: Canada
Posts: 6,845
vCash: 500
http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/sh....php?t=1721613

Gotta love that poll though. Made some great off season moves, and I'm sure MacT's not done yet, yet we're not going to be competitive!!

Asuno is offline  
Old
08-12-2014, 08:58 PM
  #610
tiger_80
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Posts: 5,822
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Soundwave View Post
Who is the last top-to-mid tier UFA to sign in Canada at a notable discount? Can't think of many period.

Like I've always said the UFA market is what it is ... it's buying candy/popcorn/soda at the movie theater and then complaining about the price ... you know what you are going to be paying a premium beforehand.
Most young free agents in that tier get grossly overpaid-- look no further than David Bolland's ugly contract. The only time you can sign a good player for an adequate price (still no discount) is when you are a perennial contender like Pittsburgh or Boston. PLayers who sign at discount rate in free agency are either over the hill (Richards) or are redemption projects (Del Zotto).
The reality is Pouliot would probably get close to the same contract from just about anybody in the league. Maybe not 4M for 5 years, but I'd be surprised if he got anything less than 3.5M for 4.

tiger_80 is offline  
Old
08-12-2014, 09:17 PM
  #611
AJGass4
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 788
vCash: 500
Is there any hockey player out there that takes a home town discount anymore?

Seriously, who cares as long as we ice a competitive team. I like our new additions and think MacT has done a swell job.

AJGass4 is offline  
Old
08-12-2014, 09:38 PM
  #612
Tyrolean
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Country: Austria
Posts: 6,839
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by oilinblood View Post
Well said. Its one of the most annoying things about HF, the ignorance of not knowing Edmonton needs to overpay for people to even listen to offers. Most players would rather take less and pay more tax, pay higher cost of living, and lose endorsements to stay away from here. They will thank the Oilers for helping perhaps increase their contract bids ten percent but have no real desire to play here. Successful team on the ice or not, doesnt matter. Its not at all surprising either.

But people can keep believing players want to sign here at discounts for "the fans". Lol. Suckers.

It gets extremely irritating because the "fans" on HFoil talk about cap hit of players so much without realizing they are considered a slum by NHL players. Personally i think there is two months a year where the city is livable for a young man with money (pretty easy to get nicer peak two months elsewhere)...and for a social elite woman there is no time that Edmonton makes sense so unless shes decided to turn shutin house wife Edmonton isnt attractive.
Then the team should move but be more competitive/

Tyrolean is online now  
Old
08-12-2014, 10:51 PM
  #613
shogun99
Registered User
 
shogun99's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Edmonton
Posts: 4,008
vCash: 500
In 3 years the average 3rd liner will be making 4mil+ it's going to be scary to see what Hall will be making when his contract expires.

shogun99 is online now  
Old
08-12-2014, 11:47 PM
  #614
Section337
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Edmonton, AB
Posts: 4,319
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by AJGass4 View Post
Is there any hockey player out there that takes a home town discount anymore?
The only reason to take a home town discount is on a Lidstrom/Selanne let's see if I want to keep playing 1 year deal.

Section337 is offline  
Old
08-13-2014, 01:08 AM
  #615
Mr Positive
Four-NinetySeven-Ten
 
Mr Positive's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Posts: 5,346
vCash: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by hallsyoilerforever View Post
http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/sh....php?t=1721613

Gotta love that poll though. Made some great off season moves, and I'm sure MacT's not done yet, yet we're not going to be competitive!!
I don't blame outsiders for arguing the status quo. I do think it is a misinformed opinion simply because there are other reasons that we will be a lot better besides our summer free agency moves.

There are improvements in coaching, RNH is getting a real summer training going, and we have two capable goalies for a full season now. I'm not saying playoffs are expected now, but imo being 'competitive' just means that the team at lealst has traction against the best in the conference and I believe we will have that.

Mr Positive is online now  
Old
08-13-2014, 01:12 AM
  #616
Asuno
Registered User
 
Asuno's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: Edmonton
Country: Canada
Posts: 6,845
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Positive View Post
I don't blame outsiders for arguing the status quo. I do think it is a misinformed opinion simply because there are other reasons that we will be a lot better besides our summer free agency moves.

There are improvements in coaching, RNH is getting a real summer training going, and we have two capable goalies for a full season now. I'm not saying playoffs are expected now, but imo being 'competitive' just means that the team at lealst has traction against the best in the conference and I believe we will have that.
Oh no, the topic asked would the oilers be competitive. And clearly I think they will. Playoffs? Doubt it.

Asuno is offline  
Old
08-13-2014, 02:04 AM
  #617
Tarus
#Craigsnotonit
 
Tarus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Edmonton
Country: Canada
Posts: 5,566
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by hallsyoilerforever View Post
http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/sh....php?t=1721613

Gotta love that poll though. Made some great off season moves, and I'm sure MacT's not done yet, yet we're not going to be competitive!!
They seem to have a pretty good grasp on the problems afflicting the Oilers, including a few mentions of the catalyst of those problems(Lowe/Mact).

The Oilers haven't been competitive in quite some time, close to half a decade if not more. Not sure why the additions of a different set of lower tier yet still overpaid support players is automatically going to change their fortune when long standing issues still plague the team(defense, center, reliable proven goaltending, coaching, too many developing players in critical roles, etc).

Tarus is offline  
Old
08-13-2014, 07:53 AM
  #618
Paralyzer
The Oilers Awaken
 
Paralyzer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Edmonton
Country: Canada
Posts: 5,837
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mowzie View Post
This doesn't make my comment wrong. I know we need to overpay to sign UFA's, that's what I posted, and it's a fact of life. We're paying him 20 million because we have too.
I dont know where you got that he was overpaid because it was well known that he was offered 4.5-5m from 2 other teams but he chose us because we were the only ones offering him 5 years. Everyone was offering 3-4. He even said that it was the term, not the money that swayed him.

Edit - Now if we are talking overpaid this free agency, Nikitin is a player I think about.


Last edited by Paralyzer: 08-13-2014 at 08:02 AM.
Paralyzer is offline  
Old
08-13-2014, 08:43 AM
  #619
Mr Positive
Four-NinetySeven-Ten
 
Mr Positive's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Posts: 5,346
vCash: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by hallsyoilerforever View Post
Oh no, the topic asked would the oilers be competitive. And clearly I think they will. Playoffs? Doubt it.
I was referring to the pollers

Mr Positive is online now  
Old
08-13-2014, 02:37 PM
  #620
Asuno
Registered User
 
Asuno's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: Edmonton
Country: Canada
Posts: 6,845
vCash: 500
Neil Hodge ‏@ttneilhodge

@monctonwildcats 2 Wildcats going to NHL camps -- Ivan Barbashev (2nd round pick St. Louis) and Vladimir Tkachev (free agent Edmonton).

Asuno is offline  
Old
08-13-2014, 02:46 PM
  #621
dustrock
Too Legit To Quit
 
dustrock's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Posts: 6,258
vCash: 500
Tkachev? That's cool.

dustrock is offline  
Old
08-13-2014, 02:46 PM
  #622
tv14
Registered User
 
tv14's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Lethbridge, Alberta
Country: Canada
Posts: 5,218
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by hallsyoilerforever View Post
Neil Hodge ‏@ttneilhodge

@monctonwildcats 2 Wildcats going to NHL camps -- Ivan Barbashev (2nd round pick St. Louis) and Vladimir Tkachev (free agent Edmonton).
http://www.hockeydb.com/ihdb/stats/p...php?pid=163405

Aside from being small, he seems to have really good numbers. Any one know if the amount of games played was due to an injury??

tv14 is offline  
Old
08-13-2014, 03:09 PM
  #623
nexttothemoon
light.end.tunnel
 
nexttothemoon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Northern Alberta
Country: Canada
Posts: 10,363
vCash: 50
I had Tkachev in my top 20 picks for the 2014 draft... just based on talent level alone.

Obviously he's tiny and that's what holds him back from ever realistically sticking at the NHL level... but certainly worth giving him a look and a shot in camp.

nexttothemoon is offline  
Old
08-13-2014, 03:11 PM
  #624
nexttothemoon
light.end.tunnel
 
nexttothemoon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Northern Alberta
Country: Canada
Posts: 10,363
vCash: 50
Penner and Setoguchi still out there as UFA's. Both would be solid additions... I'll keep banging that drum so when the Oilers go down with a string of injuries I can say... told ya so.

nexttothemoon is offline  
Old
08-13-2014, 03:19 PM
  #625
tv14
Registered User
 
tv14's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Lethbridge, Alberta
Country: Canada
Posts: 5,218
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by nexttothemoon View Post
Penner and Setoguchi still out there as UFA's. Both would be solid additions... I'll keep banging that drum so when the Oilers go down with a string of injuries I can say... told ya so.
I think Setoguchi would be a decent pick up, Penner not so sure. We all know that ship has sailed with the Oilers (specifically MacT) and wasn't he being given 4th line minutes and/or healthy scratched in Washington at the end of the year?

Setoguchi is young enough that he might have something left and might be able to regain form.

tv14 is offline  
Closed Thread

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:30 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2015, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2015 All Rights Reserved.