HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Trade Rumours and Proposals Thread

Closed Thread

Old
07-29-2014, 10:27 AM
Beerfish

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kerric View Post
Still not as bad off as at the start of last season. Missing both top 2 C (and next to no C depth), bottom of the league D, and the gaping maw that was Dubby/Barbie last season.

Improvements in 2 out of 3 areas of glaring weakness. Marked improvements. Still would like to see at least one veteran 2/3C picked up. Probably not going to happen, though there might be a surprise waiver that we can snatch. Likely will be able to pickup another of Lander/Arco equivalent at the waiver wire, which is an improvement of our C depth from last year. Not talent, but Depth.

Anyone that thinks we are going to be out of it by November again is embodying my avatar. Same for anyone that thinks we are a legitimate contender for a playoff spot.
The center issues was due to injury.
The tending was not as big of an issue as it ended up being, Dubnyk, even though MacT tossed him under the bus before the season was reasonably good the year before and there was no real indication he would totally fall on his face. Those two issues were not known gaping holes for months and months before the season.

Center has been a gaping hole all along, especially when Gagner was going to leave or be a winger this year. The one position we had at least a bit of depth, wing, we go out and get a couple more wingers. Just fool hardy to rely heavily on an 18 year old kid and a minor leaguer who has over achieved to some extent. Especially when some other low cost vets have been snapped up by other teams.

If we had anyone of note in the minors I wouldn't be quit as chilled but we have no young prospects and no vets worth a darn.

Old
07-29-2014, 11:00 AM
McShogun99

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beerfish View Post
The center issues was due to injury.
The tending was not as big of an issue as it ended up being, Dubnyk, even though MacT tossed him under the bus before the season was reasonably good the year before and there was no real indication he would totally fall on his face. Those two issues were not known gaping holes for months and months before the season.

Center has been a gaping hole all along, especially when Gagner was going to leave or be a winger this year. The one position we had at least a bit of depth, wing, we go out and get a couple more wingers. Just fool hardy to rely heavily on an 18 year old kid and a minor leaguer who has over achieved to some extent. Especially when some other low cost vets have been snapped up by other teams.

If we had anyone of note in the minors I wouldn't be quit as chilled but we have no young prospects and no vets worth a darn.
Dubnyk's numbers were good but he still let in 1 bad, momentum sapping goal a game. It was like he could never stop a shot when the oilers were up or down by one. He always cracked under the least amount of pressure.

Old
07-29-2014, 12:01 PM
McPuritania
5-14-6-1

vCash: 105
Quote:
Originally Posted by rhotter View Post
Nash redundant??? 6 foot 4 power forward... redundant?????:snakehead

For the purpose of this trade, let's assume Staal does resign.
You'd have to actually play a power game to be considered a power forward. Nash is a shell of his former self. Pass.

Old
07-29-2014, 12:12 PM
Slats432

I would try to do a reclamation on Del Zotto. Let the kids develop.

Sadly, I don't see an easy out to our 2C situation. I don't see a trade there and I don't see an internal solution.

Old
07-29-2014, 12:32 PM
oilersfan11

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slats432 View Post

Sadly, I don't see an easy out to our 2C situation. I don't see a trade there and I don't see an internal solution.
We might as well just give Arcobello the reigns for this season and have Draisaitl develop his game further.

Old
07-29-2014, 12:32 PM
RaabHart
Where's the Hart?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slats432 View Post

I still think a deal like the Schenn's for Petry+Lander+Klefbom makes sense for us and Philly. Philly needs to get under the cap so a deal like this helps them do that. They also have no RHD last I checked. We could roll with a lineup like this:

Hall-RNH-Eberle
Perron-Schenn-Purcell
Pouliot-Drasaitl-Yakupov
Gazdic-Gordon-Hendricks
Arcobello

Nikitin-Schultz
Marincin-Fayne
Ference-Schenn
Aulie

Philly mean while rolls with something like:

Read-Giroux-Voracek
Raffl-Couturier-Simmonds
Umberger-Lecavalier-Akeson
Rinaldo-Laughton/Vandevelde/Lander-Stortini

Coburn-Timonen
Macdonald-Petry
Grossman-Streit
Schultz

Old
07-29-2014, 12:34 PM
Psychoil

Quote:
Originally Posted by oilinblood View Post
I can understand where you are coming from. Last year at the end of the preseason people were paying attention to stats and NOT what MacT was saying. Most of the people on this board thought my posts of finishing at the bottom of the standings was absurd. We had a good preseason and people thought we should be booking vacation so we can follow the oilers in the playoffs.

Meanwhile we had MacT signing Gagner in desperation to keep the asset, unable to market him for another Centre, getting involved in trade talks for any goalie on the market, and signing whatever he could get for dmen to have some illusion of competition.
As i pointed out, everything MacT did said...we had no goaltending, we had no defense, we had no centres, we had issues with having 8 solid wingers.

Now, all that being said. With Leon, i just dont think he is served going to PA. Id rather have him with the Oilers playing twenty games and training and practicing and being with the team and playing at the WJC rather then sending him back to junior. Personally i think junior would stall him. If he was a D that would be different.
I realize it eats a year of his eligibility but if he is ready, and i think he is...than he makes the team.

I will add that i think we are still a centre short. I dont want leon being a full time nhler yet. I think fifty games would be good, with scattered healthy scratch press box views. The Clode treatment on Seguin comes to mind.
Leon I think will produce here, and I know he will succeed up here. But the idea is the turn him into a anze kopitar type player who can play 200 feet and dominate down low. Something tells me sending him back down to junior will benefit him more than playing 50 games up here with limited ice time

Old
07-29-2014, 12:42 PM
McCanovin
Oil Dynasty

Quote:
Originally Posted by raab View Post
I still think a deal like the Schenn's for Petry+Lander+Klefbom makes sense for us and Philly. Philly needs to get under the cap so a deal like this helps them do that. They also have no RHD last I checked. We could roll with a lineup like this:

Hall-RNH-Eberle
Perron-Schenn-Purcell
Pouliot-Drasaitl-Yakupov
Gazdic-Gordon-Hendricks
Arcobello

Nikitin-Schultz
Marincin-Fayne
Ference-Schenn
Aulie

Philly mean while rolls with something like:

Read-Giroux-Voracek
Raffl-Couturier-Simmonds
Umberger-Lecavalier-Akeson
Rinaldo-Laughton/Vandevelde/Lander-Stortini

Coburn-Timonen
Macdonald-Petry
Grossman-Streit
Schultz
How about Petry+Lander+ 2016 2nd for B. Schenn?

Old
07-29-2014, 12:44 PM
dustrock
Too Legit To Quit

I wouldn't do a reclamation on Del Zotto unless we move out one of our current D.

Old
07-29-2014, 12:50 PM
rhotter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmi Jenkins View Post
Rick Nash is grossly overpaid and very overrated. He barely brings the production that Eberle does, frankly.

The Oilers are MUCH better served having Eberle at $6M then Rick Nash at whatever stupid number he makes.

Marc Staal is a UFA in the summer anyway, if the Oilers are interested they would make a deal just for him or wait.
I had said that Staal would be resigned after the trade

Old
07-29-2014, 12:51 PM
rboomercat90

Quote:
Originally Posted by Del Preston View Post
Rick Nash
Figured he had to be talking about Nash and Staal from Carolina since Rick Nash might very well be the most over rated player in the league since he was drafted. Columbus was perennial garbage until they moved him and started building their team around other players. Wouldn't want him or his cap killing contract anywhere near this team.

Old
07-29-2014, 12:57 PM
Jimmi McJenkins
Sometimes Miracles

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhotter View Post
I had said that Staal would be resigned after the trade
Good for Staal, that certainly doesn't hurt, but I don't see the Oilers eager to give up a lot to possibly do that, when they can chase him as a UFA if need be.

Old
07-29-2014, 01:10 PM
McDNicks17
McDavid Cometh

vCash: 1115
Mueller signs in STL.

Who is next on the panic for a center list?

Old
07-29-2014, 01:13 PM
McCanovin
Oil Dynasty

Quote:
Originally Posted by dnicks17 View Post
Mueller signs in STL.

Maybe a trade between the Oilers and Blues involving Berglund?

Old
07-29-2014, 01:14 PM
Cloned
Dial M for Michelle

Quote:
Originally Posted by canovin View Post
Yep.

Sig AND X-mas avatar courtesy of The Nemesis

"Pull yourself together!" - Solid Snake to Otacon, multiple times in the series
Old
07-29-2014, 01:19 PM
nhlisajoke

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cloned View Post
Yep.
not necessarily...its a 2 way contract

Old
07-29-2014, 01:41 PM
RaabHart
Where's the Hart?

Quote:
How about Petry+Lander+ 2016 2nd for B. Schenn?
Doesn't help them with their cap situation.

Old
07-29-2014, 02:07 PM
dustrock
Too Legit To Quit

Quote:
ha ha yep

Old
07-29-2014, 02:13 PM
rboomercat90

Quote:
Originally Posted by dnicks17 View Post
Mueller signs in STL.

It'd be nice to see a little panic from Mactavish. He seems perfectly content to go into next season with what he has. Not a big deal for him to finish at the bottom of the standings again, I guess, when the team has already been there for as long as they have.

I don't expect anything resembling a block buster deal from him but I'm shocked that he hasn't done anything at all to address the teams biggest need. There have been cheap centers signing for decent money. Even if he wants to give an opportunity to Arcobello or Lander, what's wrong with having a bit more depth in an important position you currently have none in? This is how Tambellini operated.

Old
07-29-2014, 02:30 PM
MCDAVIDISH

Quote:
Originally Posted by rboomercat90 View Post
It'd be nice to see a little panic from Mactavish. He seems perfectly content to go into next season with what he has. Not a big deal for him to finish at the bottom of the standings again, I guess, when the team has already been there for as long as they have.

I don't expect anything resembling a block buster deal from him but I'm shocked that he hasn't done anything at all to address the teams biggest need. There have been cheap centers signing for decent money. Even if he wants to give an opportunity to Arcobello or Lander, what's wrong with having a bit more depth in an important position you currently have none in? This is how Tambellini operated.
Training camp hasn't even begun yet, let's wait a bit before leading to conclusions.

Old
07-29-2014, 02:46 PM
40oz

Quote:
Originally Posted by PETRYDISH View Post
Training camp hasn't even begun yet, let's wait a bit before leading to conclusions.
Yunno what'd be nice to see? MacT negotiating trades from a position of weakness.

Why would he publicly panic or even state that he isn't fine starting the year without another center? Not only does that show lack of faith in his players but it might drive up prices.

Old
07-29-2014, 02:59 PM
Jimmi McJenkins
Sometimes Miracles

Quote:
Originally Posted by rboomercat90 View Post

I think you're right, given where the team is and the needs, clearly Mac-T needs to do something panicked like move Marincin for Josh Bailey, because then dealing with problems and such.

Old
07-29-2014, 03:18 PM
oilinblood

vCash: 553
Quote:
Originally Posted by 40oz View Post
Yunno what'd be nice to see? MacT negotiating trades from a position of weakness.

Why would he publicly panic or even state that he isn't fine starting the year without another center? Not only does that show lack of faith in his players but it might drive up prices.
Exactly.
I suspect MacT is involved in everything, just as he was last summer. But this summer instead of getting guys signed to compete at camp on D and goal he is focussed at centre and a smaller focus on D now that he signed a bunch.
He isnt exactly a lazy GM, being the busiest manager in the NHL last season.

I would agree with everyone that we need one more centre but camp will see teams waive players, and trade players...and then at the 10-15 game mark i expect to see teams start making moves.

That being said there are teams that look like they need to make moves before camp and MacT would be a horrific manager to show weakness. MacT will do what he normally does, get his fingers in to the trade talk and see what the price is.

Old
07-29-2014, 04:02 PM
SupremeTeam16

Publicly panicking over our C situation is only gonna put us in a position of negotiating weakness. Most front offices are shut down at this time.

When teams get to camp and contract,arbitration situations are sorted, young guys are pushing their way onto rosters and new acquisitions are fitting in on the roster and the waiver and cap deadlines are looming then we will see the market open up a bit and Mac-T will have some options to work with and maybe even a steal of a deal comes along.

Also with some of these teams scraping the bottom of the free agent barrel they are using up cap space, contract and roster spots which might eliminate some competition when teams are looking to move someone out either for cap or roster reasons.

Old
07-29-2014, 04:41 PM
Copperhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by SupremeTeam16 View Post
Publicly panicking over our C situation is only gonna put us in a position of negotiating weakness. Most front offices are shut down at this time.
THIS! Keep your ears open MacT but no need to panic. I still feel the Oilers are in a better position to open this season compared to last season. If a C is available then move on it but don't rush into a bad deal.

Here's a look at STL right now:

Center: Stastny, Backes, Berglund, Ott, Mueller, Lapierre, Lehtera, Lindstrom

RW: Oshie, Tarasenko, Reaves, Jaskin

LW: Steen, Schwartz (RFA), Pajaarvi, Porter

What depth and competition there. Maybe they're not going to move anyone now but during training camp I wouldn't be surprised to see one of those names at C move.

Closed Thread