HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Trade Rumours and Proposals Thread

Closed Thread

Old
08-19-2014, 07:03 AM
Mcnofool6110
Purcell is **3

vCash: 500
Hall-Rnh-Gazdic

Cheap version of Kurri-Gretzky-Semenko.

Awwww yih

Old
08-19-2014, 08:12 AM
Valic
BOOOOOOOOOO

Honestly, if it were up to me we wouldn't employ any Gazdic types normally at an NHL level. Maybe keep one in the minors that you can call up if Calgary got goonish the previous meeting and you think they plan on trying to spiral things out of hand next time you play.

I want a strong defensive player who can line up with Hendricks and Gordon and start 70% of their shifts in the defensive zone, get the puck out, and change for one of the three scoring lines. Penalty killing would be nice.

Gimme a 8-10 minute a night guy who will not be a black hole defensive wise. Physicality is just a bonus, what's important to me is someone who isn't the worst possession player in the league.

I really hope Lander and Pitlick get more games than Gazdic.

Old
08-19-2014, 08:23 AM
McCupofOil
McJesus Has Risen!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Philly85 View Post
Gazdic, while no bum, is not a very good NHLer. But I'm not completely against having him on the team as purely a depth player.

Also, don't know why Gordon is your 4th line centre, he's a third line C who's taking big face offs, playing 15 hard minutes against opposing teams first and second lines... this is not the role of a fourth line player.
I'd be shocked if Gordon was anywhere but on the 4th line to start the season based on MacT's comments of wanting to roll with 3 scoring lines and one shutdown line.

Whether we like it or not and i'm in the NOT category, Arcobello and Draisaitl are going to be gifted the 2nd and 3rd line spots barring any pre-camp waiver pickups or surprising performers earning a spot (Yakimov, Lander etc.).

As for Gazdic, i don't like him as an every day 4th liner but he certainly has use on this team and anybody who doesn't think so needs to take a closer look at the teams in the division especially the team in Southern Alberta that has loaded up on tough guys who would love to take out the Oilers skilled guys. As long as Gazdic is inserted into the lineup situationally mainly against divisional opponents, i don't see a problem with him being on the roster. Look at the effect he had on Yakupov against Winnipeg last season, Yak felt ten inches taller knowing that Gazdic had his back, that type of stuff builds team unity.
He was also a pretty effective forechecker at times especially early in the season so he can play a little bit, he's certainly better than SMac when it comes to hockey ability. The Oilers need some semblance of toughness on the roster, BADLY.

Last edited by McCupofOil: 08-19-2014 at 08:29 AM.
Old
08-19-2014, 08:29 AM
fuswald
I'd Be Fired

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Valic View Post
Honestly, if it were up to me we wouldn't employ any Gazdic types normally at an NHL level. Maybe keep one in the minors that you can call up if Calgary got goonish the previous meeting and you think they plan on trying to spiral things out of hand next time you play.

I want a strong defensive player who can line up with Hendricks and Gordon and start 70% of their shifts in the defensive zone, get the puck out, and change for one of the three scoring lines. Penalty killing would be nice.

Gimme a 8-10 minute a night guy who will not be a black hole defensive wise. Physicality is just a bonus, what's important to me is someone who isn't the worst possession player in the league.

My avatar would have something to say about that.
Why don't we increase the size of the rinks while we're at it.

Old
08-19-2014, 08:37 AM
McDoused

Quote:

I already have Pitlick penciled in on the fourth line. When he is healthy he is everything you want in a player. I'm not sure why he gets overlooked.

Lander is still a great prospect and captain of the Barons. He's a good depth guy and still has a lot of untapped potential.

I would start the season with Pitlick on the fourth line, Gazdic and Arcobello as your 13th/14th forwards and Lander in OKC. Injuries happen and I'm sure they will all see time.

Old
08-19-2014, 08:41 AM
joestevens29

vCash: 2627
Quote:
Originally Posted by nexttothemoon View Post
I can't see the Oilers pushing Moroz or Chase into the lineup that early.

They'll bring up other vet options from OKC if they need an injury fix for a few games... Pinizzotto/Acton/RHamilton types.
Either that or even claim someone off waivers for a trial run.

Old
08-19-2014, 08:45 AM
joestevens29

vCash: 2627
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryanbryoil View Post
Not in the fight that I saw between them. I'd give the edge to the Flame in that fight.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryanbryoil View Post
Or you double shift guys in Gazdic's place, problem solved.
Agree on both accounts. But to me McGrattan is the top dog in the league and if you can go with him and get the respect from the man then you have yourself a good fighter.

And yes the double shift should be the soultion. We have a pretty darn good group of wingers, surely one should stand out every game to deserve some extra shifts.

Old
08-19-2014, 09:57 AM
dustrock
Too Legit To Quit

I'd be fine if someone like Gazdic actually was a deterrent to our stars getting hurt, I just don't see it.

Old
08-19-2014, 10:07 AM
HotToddy75

Quote:
Originally Posted by joestevens29 View Post
Either that or even claim someone off waivers for a trial run.
I've always been stumped how a 30th place team has had so few waiver claims. Thomas Hickey comes to mind.

Lots of useful played have gone through waivers, but we've made so few claims....

Old
08-19-2014, 11:15 AM
Tad McMikowsky
Retired

Must be a boring day to be arguing the impact of a fourth liner who averages around 7 minutes a night.

Old
08-19-2014, 11:24 AM
McRobbiezyg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tad Mikowsky View Post
Must be a boring day to be arguing the impact of a fourth liner who averages around 7 minutes a night.
I see your post count but maybe you just dont frequent the oilers board much? this is a hot topic in-season as well

Old
08-19-2014, 11:26 AM
Oilerz

Quote:

This doesn't work. they never get out of hand, and the goon then takes foolish penalties. If he is goin to take a penalty, have him there when it matters.

Old
08-19-2014, 11:29 AM
Bryanbryoil
Magician

Quote:
Originally Posted by joestevens29 View Post
Agree on both accounts. But to me McGrattan is the top dog in the league and if you can go with him and get the respect from the man then you have yourself a good fighter.

And yes the double shift should be the soultion. We have a pretty darn good group of wingers, surely one should stand out every game to deserve some extra shifts.
I am one of his biggest fans however I didn't feel that he won that fight that's all. I'm sure that they will go again and both respect each other as possibly the two best in the league at what they do.

Double shifting IMO makes the most sense.

08-19-2014, 11:31 AM
Oilerz

Quote:
Originally Posted by dustrock View Post
I'd be fine if someone like Gazdic actually was a deterrent to our stars getting hurt, I just don't see it.
What do you need to see? He is a feared enforcer, an I don't remember seeing any injuries last year due to someone being taken advantage of.

Old
08-19-2014, 11:39 AM
hallhopkinseberle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oilerz View Post
This doesn't work. they never get out of hand, and the goon then takes foolish penalties. If he is goin to take a penalty, have him there when it matters.

Gadzic doesn't take many minor penalties imo. I think it was 0.6/60 last season. Which is super low for a goon.He know not to do anything stupid l. He knows he is a fighter and that's it. It's what I really like about him. This is why he is one of the best fighters in the league other than he's strong and has stone hands.

Old
08-19-2014, 11:41 AM
doulos

Quote:
Originally Posted by HotToddy75 View Post
I've always been stumped how a 30th place team has had so few waiver claims. Thomas Hickey comes to mind.

Lots of useful played have gone through waivers, but we've made so few claims....
The flip side are the Islanders who claim anyone with a pulse. Hasn't worked out so well for them either...haha

Old
08-19-2014, 11:51 AM
Nunymare
Global Moderator
In 11.5% we trust

vCash: 499
Quote:
Originally Posted by doulos View Post
The flip side are the Islanders who claim anyone with a pulse. Hasn't worked out so well for them either...haha
Well as they say, even a blind squirrel finds a nut once in a while...

Old
08-19-2014, 11:52 AM
McPuritania
5-14-6-1

Gazdic takes way too much **** on these boards. If you aren't a ppg player, or Selke finalist, you can't be on the fourth line on HF Oil.

Old
08-19-2014, 12:35 PM
Oilking83

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nunymare View Post
Well as they say, even a blind squirrel finds a nut once in a while...
Didn't they also get Grabner off waivers? They got themselves a top 4 dman and a top six winger for free while we twiddle our thumbs.

Old
08-19-2014, 12:39 PM
Tad McMikowsky
Retired

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oilking83 View Post
Didn't they also get Grabner off waivers? They got themselves a top 4 dman and a top six winger for free while we twiddle our thumbs.
Yes, Oilers totally needed an undersized bust of a dman on their back end.

Old
08-19-2014, 12:40 PM
McRobbiezyg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oilking83 View Post
Thomas Hickey is FAR from a top 4 d-man.. he wouldn't crack our top 6 and thats saying something

Old
08-19-2014, 01:18 PM
knockoutpanda
Oilers Fan

vCash: 788
Quote:
Originally Posted by Puritania View Post
Gazdic takes way too much **** on these boards. If you aren't a ppg player, or Selke finalist, you can't be on the fourth line on HF Oil.
But can he play hockey? All I am asking for is some one to play hockey on the fourth line. Maybe that Lander guy who actually put up points in the AHL. Then if Gazdic magically learns how to play the game he can play in the NHL but he has not proved any where that he can play.

Old
08-19-2014, 01:21 PM
doulos

Quote:
Originally Posted by Puritania View Post
I'd even settle for 'Not making all of his linemates play worse' as the stats/watching him play show.

Old
08-19-2014, 03:09 PM
McDNicks17
McDavid Has Arrived

Quote:
Originally Posted by robbiezyg View Post
Thomas Hickey is FAR from a top 4 d-man.. he wouldn't crack our top 6 and thats saying something
That's definitely stretching it.

He outscored every Oilers defenseman except Schultz at even strength(Schultz had 1 more point) and had a better GA/20 than every Oilers defenseman except Marincin.

Hickey has been huge for the Isles.

Old
08-19-2014, 03:20 PM
Mr Forever
The Oilers :(

We can talk all we want about how bad we think Hickey is, but NYI fans seem to be pretty happy with him.

Closed Thread